Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Pale yellow. Small white head.

S: Light spice and alcohol.

T: Blah. Some spice. Kind of like someone tried to spice up a Coors Light. Alcohol is very prominent. I'll pass on this one.

D: Medium. I'll never drink one again. But I could see someone having a lot of these.

kellyst, Aug 30, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +7%

A nice blond for an evening BBQ. This pours a slightly hazed amber/golden body. Fizzy and heady. A white head quickly develops up to about 3 fingers; a bit rocky and sticky. Looks nice.
Smells of slight citrus and corriander. The Belgian yeasts come through nicely, a bit sweet as well. A malt characteristic softens the spice. this also gives it a bit of thickness that I'm not used to in the style.
A nice drinking beer. It seems a bit stale, I can't keep from thinking about the maltiness. After this beer, I drank an Urquel and found similarities in sweetness.

Mebuzzard, Aug 18, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Had this at Winking Lizard. Bottle pours into the goblet a pale golden color with significant Weizen like white thick head. Smell is heavy on banana and clove. Can pick up some belgian spices, and yeasty like. Taste is delicious and creamy. Banana and clove flavors come to the front of my tongue. Carbonation is smooth. Not one of my favorite belgians, but it is quite good.

genog, Aug 18, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe in Sierra Madre for the first night of Belgian Beer Fest II.
Poured in a Leffe glass. Very good appearance, a clear vibrant gold, but not much of a head, otherwise this could have been a 5. The smell was leaning away from the cereal sort of smell I expected and gave a pretty distinct sweet smell. The taste was also pretty malty sweet, maybe fruity too, along with some of the Belgian yeast funk/earthiness. A nicely drinkable Belgian pale ale when you're not in the mood for some of the higher alcohol Belgians.

MiScusi, Aug 18, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Draught. Pours golden with with white creamy head that stayed around for a long time.. Has somewhat of a citrusy taste. Tastes a lot like a Hefeweizen. Aroma is citrusy and malty. Mouthfeel has good medium feel to it. Lacing on glass was pretty good. I wish I could find the Brune where I live.

biggmike, Aug 04, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into my De Garre snifter. A refreshing beer after playing baseball this afternoon.

A - A gourgeous blonde beer. Nice clear amber with a perfectly white massive 2+ finger head that lasts and laces.

S - Honey and banana right off the bat followed by a fruity Belgian yeast aroma. Could use a bit more of the fruity spicey aroma for the style, but other wise this has a very nice aroma.

T & M - Falls a little flat here, but this is still a solid beer. This has a very nice taste with a typical Belgian flare, but not enough of the fruitiness from the yeast that I crave in Belgians. A bit of spice at the very end followed by a hint of alcohol hotness. A smooth almost creamy texture that is accetuated with a popping carbonation helps bring our the flavors in this beer.

D - Awesomely drinkable, with a bit more flavor this would have been a 5. An excellent gateway beer into the world of Belgians.

IPAcraig, Jul 30, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good looking beer. A clear golden colour with a foamy white head, holds up well with some lacing. The nose has some spicy yeasty notes and there's a sweet scent that I just cant describe. Taste is lightly fruity, spicy and bitter. A good beer but there are a lot more BPA that I would rather drink.

irishkyle21, Jul 27, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a nice, rocky head that strands the glace with lace

Smell: Bananas, honey and cream

Taste: Starts out with a sweet, creamy aspect with developing undertones of banana; after the swallow the sweet elements predominate but are joined by a yeasty tartness that adds a modicum of complexity

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but a little too sweet for my tastebuds - a good crossover for newbies into the world of Belgians

brentk56, Jul 12, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden-bronze color. Light off-white head isn't too big, but turns into a dense film, lacing the glass a bit. Odd that it's so clear for this type of beer, however.

Smell: Has an aroma of yeast, banana, some other fruits, and a hint of grasses. Not too strong, but noticable and enjoyable.

Taste: Great yeasty-fruity bread-like flavor, with some light spices. Has an appropriate sweetness. A bit of a twang right before the finish. Mild honey-yeast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, with some very light carbonation. Light- to medium-bodied.

Drinkability: Alcohol is hardly noticable, and the flavor remains pleasant throughout the drinking. The "twangs" in the taste sometimes get tiring, though.

Overall an enjoyable and solid Belgian beer. Apparently rather commercial, but I'm not complaining. (Plus, it's harder to find than many most obscure Belgian beers.) If I could get it closer to home, at the good price I was able to find it for, I'd get it more often. If you enjoy Belgian beers, it's definitely one to try. If you are curious about trying some Belgian beer, this is certainly worth a shot.

mithrascruor, Jul 10, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

a- wow, clear and golden, with big white head and big chunks of lacing.

s- big smell too. bready, yeasty, fruity.

t- melon is a very stong flavor here, yeast too, extremely sweet.

m- basicly no carbonation, creamy and smooth.

d- ok drinkability, but the flavors could be too much after a while. not really refreshing either.

pittvkyle7, Jul 07, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a golden with quite a decent head but not a lot of lacing for a Belgian. Quite bready at first smell, followed by light banana and then clove. The taste is fairly mellow but exhibits similar notes as the smell. Some more noticeable clove on the finish along with a definite, but not out of place, sweetness. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and on the lighter side. Quite drinkable and refreshing. I brought a six pack of this camping recently. It was hot and humid and this stuff really hit the spot, went with a variety of foods, and was relatively easy on the wallet. I even converted one of my Stella Artois drinking friends with this beer. Not the most ravishing Belgian on the planet, but not bad and one I'd overlooked in the past.

Georgiabeer, Jul 06, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

i enjoyed this beer. good all around qualities. this is one that i could enjoy 3 or 4 in a row. not sure that i have had too many that are quite like this. unique flavors.

i would love to try this one from the tap. i am guessing it would be fantastic.

the label says blonde, they say blondes have more fun.

giver a try and have fun.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jul 05, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -18.9%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass slowly, expecting a large head that I usually associate with the style. Instead I found myself staring down a one finger head, slightly disappointed. Very interesting color to the brew saved the appearance from going lower than average - golden but with a deep red note as well. Surprisingly inviting...

Smell: Has a great smell of light fruits with a touch of honey. I would say that this is the strongest part of this brew.

Taste: Very disappointing. Does nothing for me to raise it above the average mark. The fantastic aromas in the nose are nowhere to be found, instead leaving me with a watered down sweet taste that's OK at first but gets worse as it goes down. Strange almost metallic aftertaste. Hints of fruit, but not really. I think the best correlation I cane come up with is wheatgrass juice - which is good in itself but was disturbing to find in a beer.

Mouthfeel: A redeeming factor after a disappointing taste. Crisp and refreshing. Nothing special, but pleasant.

Drinkability: I could put a few of these down, but I have no real desire to after the first. Perhaps my rating will change after another, but I doubt it. I bought a six pack so it has a chance for redemption, but as of now I probably won't be buying again anytime soon.

BucBasil, Jul 04, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle in some forgettable touristy restaurant in Stirling, Scotland.

I've always gone for the Brune before when presented with Leffe options (most places seem to have both), so this is actually the first time I've had this. I was pleasantly surprised -- was expecting a mass market fizzy beer but got a half decent Belgian ale with a very solid mouthfeel and good fruity notes and banana esters in the flavour. Little bit oily, with moderate carbonation that made it go well with the food (blue cheese burger and chips). Pleasant, yeasty aftertaste.

I actually might choose this over the Brune next time...

crwills, Jul 01, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a honey gold with an imposing 3 fingers of head. Lacing is almost glue-like. It looks super-filtered, though, which is slightly concerning.

Yeast is reminiscent of a hefe; bubblegum and clove are all up in my grill...or whatever. Damp cloth and subtle apple cider tones creep up on subsequent sniffs. Nice.

I know I've had this before but it must have been a while ago because I don't remember it tasting so much like Tripel Karmelit. For the most part it tastes good (melon, honey and bubblegum) but it also tastes wrong for the style. The aftertaste also leaves a slightly medicinal taste in my mouth that borders on cloying after a while.

Mouthfeel is way too syrupy for a style that I expect to be crisp and dry. Not right in my book. Still, it tastes pretty good and the alcohol doesn't make itself felt so I suppose it's pretty drinkable. However, I could still think of a number of Belgians I'd go to first to scratch either my pale ale or tripel itch.

malcontent, Jun 26, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at Moulerie Moss, Quebec City, with mussels in anise-cream sauce.

This crystal clear golden brew was brought in a Leffe Blonde chalice with a thin rim of white foam. Aroma is sweet bubble gum-fruity Belgian all the way, very nice.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, on the cloying side, and in general crispness lacks here. The taste is certainly good, with some mild bitterness balancing the fruity malt sweetness. There is a lack of complexity, however, as this scrubbed, clear version of a Belgian ale comes across as mass produced. The mouthfeel reduces it drinkability for me. I wouldn't choose it over a "real" Belgian but still it is a good beer.

kenito799, Jun 25, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

Picked up a nice looking 500mL copper colored can of this beer at a grocery market in Paris. This beer is at just about every cafe in Paris, and I'm not complaining (except for the price; 4.5 - 5 euros for 25cL).

Poured a thick, mousse-like, cream colored head that held like a champ. Transparent golden beer just about matches the color of the can. Smells like it was made with Belgian yeast. A bit doughy with a touch of creamy/sugary desert. Carmalized sugar and apricot with a solid malt base and a bit of alcoholic bit to hold back the sweet flavors. The mouthfeel would be thicker if it weren't for the alcohol, which manages to lighten up the body and cut the sweeter flavors. Nice Belgian yeast flavors with a touch of alcohol. What more can you ask for?

HappyHourHero, Jun 24, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

I had this one on tap during a recent trip to Brussels. This brew is a clear and light golden-amber hued liquid. The head is of modest size, but stable and foamy. The smell is a nice mix of yeast, malt, and grass. It smells a bid sweeter than it tastes, with a notable caramel aroma. As you drink the brew, a hint of alcohol comes forth. The body is full and nice. A bit more yeast and light malt comes out in the taste. The carbonation is present, but a little more restrained than I expected. I enjoyed the beer with smoked salmon and asparagus. It was a nice accompaniment, and a worthy beer.

Suds, Jun 16, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a single at the NSLC.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden copper colour in my Leffe glass. Bone white head is moderate, settles to a thin layer, leaving lots of lace.

Aroma: Cloves, yeast, and various herbs. A bit spicy from the hops, some bannana and maybe pear in there as well.

Taste: Herbs and spices, light floral hop quality. Perhaps some biscuits in there. Yeasty & Spicy finish with a slight alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Soft, medium bodied. I'd described the mouthfeel as fuzzy, it's quite nice.

Final Statement: So many people bash Leffe for being too commercial. Well, it's not Stella. Leffe is still a great beer for people who are not completely in love with Belgian Abbeys such as myself. The fact that it's filtered and cleaner makes me like it more to be honest. It still has a nice flavour to it, and I will still continue to buy it every so often.

MMansfield, Jun 05, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a Leffe goblet, a nice yellow heady beer. It really reminds me of a wheat ale. Same style of characteristics, dryish, but sweet. Nothing too exciting, but yet, nothing to really complain about. Alcohol is there, but not easily detected. A good Belgian session beer.

OWSLEY069, May 31, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

This proves to be a popular Belgian beer and is widely available in most supermarkets in the UK.

The beer pours an amber colour with an oh so huge head, this couldn't be achieved by any British ale I have ever come across. The aromas are a bit bland, mainly dominated by wheat with a hint of citrus.

The taste is very complex, an initial hoppy taste with a mixture of spices and fruit thrown in. Too many to name, I was struggling to distinguish them myself. A very pleasant tasting beer with a surprisingly full mouthfeel, wow this reminds me of 90/~ (anyone remember it?).

After my initial happiness I found that the more I got through the glass, the more the thick mouthfeel and the complex flavours made me feel bloated. It was very nice, but one was enough, I do not have the urge to try it again. Great on its own, but not one for drinking whilst on a night out.

kmacphail, May 31, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Great Belgian ale that is not too hard to find. Has a decent aroma, and yellow in color. Has a very hefe-weisen yeast flavor (banana flavor), and is nice and malty. I can't quite pick out the hops, but they balance out the malts fairly well. This beer is probably a little higher in alcohol than is detected by the tongue, making it a nice drinkable beer with a kick. Very pleasant overall, definitely worth a try.

zymurgy4all, May 28, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a nice golden,with lots of bubbles. Fluffy white head,with good retention,and lacing.Smell is of fruit,and clove with a spicy edge. Body is medium,and carbonated. Taste has a lot going on. Spice, sweet fruit, and tart citrus are all there. Good stuff from start to finish.

riversider76, May 27, 2007
3.55/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark gold, pale amber colour. Heavy rocky, off-white head. Leaves a solid lace behind.

Cracking the bottle gives off hop volatiles... herbal, vegetatious.... This is lost quickly, leading into heavier hop notes & toffee. Some funky sulfur, and a waxy perfume that wouldn't go out of place in a candle shop.

Flavours of honeycomb, and musky, peppery spice. A slight ascorbate or citrate-like tang.

Chewy, full mouthfeel. Slight dustiness, like the astringency of an old claret. Medium bitterness. And a slight cloying sweetness that would probably preclude this being a session beer.... need a lager to wash it down.

vancurly, May 25, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a nice golden color, but is a little clearer than expected. Head was ok, but didn't last long. Smell is Belgian, yeast, clove, phenols, not a whole lot of depth.

Light malts and a hint of hops dominate the flavor, esters, clove, and the phenolic notes from the nose are present as well. Again, could stand to be more of everything here.

Mouthfeel is good, nothing to take off for there, carbonation felt about right, etc. Drinkability is fine too, its not one of my favorite Belgians, but would do just fine on a hot summer day.

Pooba001, May 18, 2007
Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.