Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

11.2 oz bottle

Bright orange/gold color, quite striking, exhibiting many lines of tiny bubbles and excellent clarity. Initial sizeable frothy white head dies to a thin cap that hugs the sides, but the rest refuses to die, perhaps from the tiny bubbles. As such, the lacing over the opposite side of the glass is excellent.

Nose is sweet, with a light medicinal yeasty edge. Pleasant, but not as complex or full as I'd prefer. Some orchard fruits are hinted at but remain light and I cannot pin them down. Not bad.

Tasty, seems a crowd-pleaser. Not terribly full of anything that would funk-haters cower. Perhaps a little too sweet, and the fruit remains subdued, but nothing to complain about here. Herbal hop bitterness and sharp carbonation combine in the finish and seem successful at keeping "cloying" at bay. Despite the hop finish, the general lingering flavor is honey sweet but remains light.
As stated, carbonation is pretty high, but it works. Medium body, goes down pretty quick. I think I'd tire of this after a couple bottles, but until that point I'd rate it quite drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

Enjoy before 04/30/09
Pours a straw like golden color, very effervescent with a massive white fluffy head. Aromas are quite estery with bright clove and citrus, a little banana, and an overall candy like perfume boquet. On the palate, the spices continue to come through, though it has a nice firm malty, toasty flavor. The hops are evident in the finish with a slight bitter note; the floral sense presupposes Nobel varieties, maybe Saaz. A medium high carbonation delivers a nice fluffy, creamy mouthfeel, medium low body and a nice phenolic finish. Overall, I always passed this beer up, but I'm glad I gave it a shot.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A from brown bottle with gold foil over the top..very cool. poured with a very large, 4 finger head which was a pleasing light yellow foam. brown golden body with strings of bubbles floating up. Head remained for a good 2 minutes.

S Moderate strength spicy, smoky wooden smell.

T very good smoky, spicy, moderate body taste. Taste lingers for 30-60 seconds but continues to be pleasing.

M very good, enhancing the taste. Smooth mouthfeel.

D Also very good, I could easily drink several of these.

Overall I am very pleased with this beer. I bought a six pack of bottles (with two other Belgian beers in an 18 pack) and I can imagine that I will finish the Leffe Blondes first.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

11.2 oz from Total Wine

A - Beautiful golden color, carbonated, huge head, light lacing, alpha clumps, slightly off-white head.

S - Pears, pear-esters, and honey.

T - Plum, pears, sugar, and a dosing of earthy hops.

M - Carbonated and sugary

D - For the sweet taste yes, but the carbonation and earthy hops, throw this one off a little.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks stousnipas for this one. Small capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Bright and golden, clear brew that creates a generous amount of foamy white head, with good retention and lacing.
Delicious aroma, mostly sweet, candyish, with multiple fruity notes.
Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, it is quite pleasant if not complex; sweet maltiness, fruitiness and yeastiness abound, with a somewhat dry finish considering the overall sweetness.
Quite nice, and worthwhile, but not complex.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

The Leffe pours a clear straw color with a good 1-2 finger foam head with solid retention. It leaves pillow cloud lacing all around the sides.

The aroma is yeasty with a faint spice aroma.

The taste was biscuit malty up front with a faint hopiness on the finish. In the mouth it is highly carbonated leaves a bitterness on its exit. Overall a pretty good beer. I think it might go good with a meal like a meat lover's pizza or burger to cut the fat.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

A good example of a Belgian Blond. Nice rocky white head that was very large but fell a bit quickly. Straw colored and brilliant clarity. Phenolic nose. Nice yeast character in the taste along with a subtle fruitiness and grainy finish. Light bodied but full of character.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Beautiful amber gradient with light bubbles and a thin head that retained just a little bit throughout. The nose was floral and had light hints of tomatoes. Very tart. The first taste was almost spicy, kind of barbequed, a taste which followed through the finish, though it seemed to evolve as such. A fruity and flowery taste also showed up from time to time. Overall, I'd say it's pretty drinkable, if not an ordinary purchase.

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

A very nice change of pace.

A: Vivid gold color with active carbonation. Firm white head leaves some lace down the glass.

S: I sensed lemon, lime, grass and coriander notes.

T: A lot going on here. Spicy hops are front and center. I tasted a fair amount of coriander. Malt has a biscuit quality that gets sweeter as the beer warms. The spicy hops linger into the very dry finish. Slightly acidic.

M: Medium body with a little too much fizz. Leaves the mouth dry.

D: I found this quite drinkable and would go back for more. A nice beer all by itself, but even better with food.

3.08/5  rDev -13.2%

Me and a friend wandered off to Newport Beach last night and found a pizza joint with decent taps. This was one of the choices. Or so I thought. On to the beer:

The beer arrived in my mug a filtered deep colored blonde with a decent head that leaves little lacing on the glass. I'm not sure what the brewers were going for, but it smelled and tasted more like a Franziskaner than an Orval. Lots of chewing gum in the aroma and taste, and I'm talking about the cheap Wrigley's brand. A dash of cloves and a pinch of peppermint(?) provide to back up the main chewing gum flavor. Finish is thick and semi-sticky.

The flavors were fine, but the overall blend of them needs some balance and work.

Pours with a huge head. Very dense and rocky looking.Almost like looking down on snow capped mountains.
Smell is of sweet malts, Belgian of course, and the trademark yaest nose, typical of a Belgian ale.
Taste is very sweet, almost candy-like...and thick in the mouth. Almost cloying.
Yeast evident in the flavor. Dominant.

Not a bad beer, but a little too sweet for me.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Very enjoyable apricot colored ale!

Wasn't picking up much apon sniffing...

Taste made up for lack of smell. This is superb. I wasn't expecting this. Very reminiscent of a Trappist ale. Yeasty, dry, and slightly ever so slightly fruity. Maybe bananas and Belgian candy sugar.

Goes down like manna!

Very, very enjoyable brew! I will drink this beer again!

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from bottle, one of the most amazing, clear, dark golden beers I have poured in a long time.

the smell of cloves totally dominated, with a citrus backround.

Flovor was also dominated by cloves, with a back of bannana, and citrus. Almost "too" much of a dominant clove taste. Finishes a little bitter.

Good beer, not a seesion beer, but, a change of pace for me.

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

330ml from the Coop for about $1.70.. poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Big rocky head drops leaving significant lace chunks.. clear golden brew.

Very spicy aroma doesn't leave room for much else... cloves and whiffs of black pepper... light peachy/pear fruitiness... smells pretty sweet.

.. it is pretty sweet.. descent hop backbone.. but again spiciness dominates.. more fruitiness than the aroma.. more peaches and pears spiked with whole cloves... not overly complex but not horrible.. seems like a "supermarket" Belgian... Overall, just too sweet for me.

I've had Leffe Blond more than a few times, but now that I've reviewed it, I probably won't buy it unless I am going to be brewing a BPA and need some for comparison.

3.48/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Versée, la Leffe Blonde a une couleur blonde foncée et un bon collet de mousse. Les bulles sont grosses et persistantes. Des lacets de bulles agrémentent le verre.

Odeur définitivement fruitée avec des notes de miel. Je m'attends à un goût sucré.

En bouche, la Leffe passe agréablement bien. Un sucré mielleux bien présent mais pas excessif et un arrière goût quelque peu fruité avec presqu'aucune amertume fait que cette bière est très facile à apprécier. Elle manque toutefois quelque peu de complexité. Bière agréable facile à apprécier!

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

One of the most exceptional colors I have ever seen! Pours a wondrous orange and amber color with possibly the biggest head ever ( it literally sat at 2-3 inches, until I could no longer contain myself and had to start drinking it). The taste has a nice heartiness to it, with some great biscuit flavors coming through and a delicate balance of malt and hops. The finish is very clean with a little sweetness. The head alone made this beer a great choice for me.

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

I'm of the opinion that this is a very special beer and I love it.

A - Deep golden brown.

S - This is the factor that didn't blow me away. As I sipped on this beer, I kept trying to ascertain the nose, but couldn't. For me, the weakest point of this beer.

T - Every sip brought on new dimensions for me. Started off a tad too sweet. Beautiful malts in between as you keep sipping, and at the end, a bit "Bavaria 8.6ish" which I didn't particularly like. A wonderfully balanced beer in terms of alcohol, sweetness, malts, etc.

M - Smooth and silky mouthfeel.

D - A very rich beer. Can't kick back too many of these. A couple is enough.

Overall a lovely beer.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bottle a clean, bright gold with foamy white head which quickly faded to a thin ring. Light lacing was thin and wet.

Aroma of citrus, Belgian yeast, and bubble gum.

The taste is everything the aroma said it was. Plus a rich sweetness /tartness. Finish is very smooth and without aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly drying, and with a zing to the carbonation.

This is a fine Belgian Pale from Leffe.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

So, in my never ending quest to find Leffe Brunne in Detroit, MI. I found a guy who "ordered" it for me. Turns out, in the order, he mistaken Leffe Blonde for Leffe Brunne. Now I had never had the Blonde, but the guy offered it to me for free, as an apology for me driving out there for the Brunne, which wasn't there.

So I unwrap the gold aluminum over the cap, grab my bottle opener, crack it open, and let it settle for a moment. Take a nice swig, and it was love at first site. The beer went down smooth, with an aftertaste that only craves for more. The 6-pack was $9.99+dep, so not that pricey, but still a little expensive compared to some of the microbrews around here *great lakes, bells, etc.*

In the end, I wound up drinking 3 before telling myself I needed to enjoy it again another day. A great buy, and a great reccomendation for anyone looking for a flavourful beer. Delicious to the end.

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%

Tried Leffe Blonde for the first time and it poured as a lovely golden color with an amazing head. Probably the best appearing beer that I've ever had, especially when it wasn't even poured into its signature chalice. Laced very well the entire way.

Smell was of corn and probably some touches of spices but I didn't really get to distinguish what spices they were as it folded into the corn aroma and all I could make out was fermented corn.

Tasted like corn, a few spices (mace perhaps but I doubt it), finished with alcohol. I wasn't able to distinguish anything notable about the taste apart from alcohol and corn.

Mouthfeel was quite creamy and carbonated just right. There was a slight aftertaste of creaminess that turned me off just a bit so it didn't get a perfect score.

Drinkability suffered from the taste. I can see someone finishing those at an exceptional pace if they enjoyed the taste but for my personal drinkability, I wouldn't be able to enjoy this as a session beer but rather as a one-of beer.

I would probably drink Leffe Blonde again but only once a year.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into an Orval chalice from a 12 oz bottle with a best by date of 2/21/09.

A- Clear golden straw color with a fluffy white head that poured about 1-2 fingers and disipated to a nice lace throughout the session

S- Sweet vanilla and bubble gum aromas. Very slight alcohol smell.

T- Crisp upon entry with a sweet vanilla middle with a dry alcohol finish

M- Slick and carbonated

D- Not a bad beer. Definitely not on the high end of the offerings from Belgium, but not a bad choice. It is one of the only of the style available in Mississippi due to it's lower ABV. Will drink again, but not too many at the time due to the sweetness.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I had not tried this beer in years but I remember trying it when I was in Germany (Oddly enough). So when I saw it on tap at the Flying Saucer I figured what the hell.

Appearance- Blonde is a an understatement. It is a clear yellow with a wonderful head.

Smell- It has almost a fresh bread and fruit scent to it.

Taste- I am not going to tell you anything really different than the people who wrote about this beer before the wheat really does come through in the taste. It is very sweet with almost no bitter tones. Citrus and other fruit flavors are dancing around in your moth and it is hard to lock on to one particular flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability- Nice smooth and easy to knock back.

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

Leffe Blonde pours 2 1/2 fingers of bone-white froth atop a light, golden body, outstanding, and the Ommegang glass is exquisitely laced on the way down. The nose is disappointing--a good deal of wheat comes forth but dominates. The taste is more complex than the smell indicates, thankfully. The wheat is still strong, but I also detect some orange and a faint honey taste, quite nice. I thought the carbonation might be overwhelming, but this wasn't the case. Having a couple of these is far from taxing. A nice pale ale, although the flavor is almost more reminiscent of a light German lager.

3.13/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a clear amber with minimal head. The nose is sweet and yeasty. Typical Belgian nose and quite yummy. Just smelling it reminds me why I love the Belgian stuff so much. Flavor is extremely sweet. Especially on the back end of the “flavor rush”. Strong yeast tones as well, but I find the flavor overall to be rather subdued. Perhaps after trying so many different of this level of brew, I am coming to appreciate a more unfiltered and raw beer. Feel is a little thin. Drinkable? I think it depends on your personal preference.

As I think about it, something in this brew reminds me of makeup. Weird.

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

I poured this one out of a 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel glass.

A - Clear golden color with a nice stream of carbonation and a fine lacy head over the top.

S - The smell of this one reminds me more of a heffe weizen than an abbey. It smelled a lot like Sprechers Tripel. I wasn't terribly impressed by the smell; but it was appealing to me.

T - This doesn't stack up to the beers I'd call Abbey Ales; but the taste is nice. It has a belgian sweetness but draws in some qualities that stand out in German beers I've had. It's hoppier, cooler and lighter than most of the Belgian beers I've grown to love.

M - This one is a little thicker than I expected. It's a little creamy...but not especially heavy.

D - If they cost the same, I'd drink this instead of Budweiser any day.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.