Leffe Blonde - Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

good

poor

Abbaye de Leffe S.A. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leffe Blonde Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

Leffe is has a quintessential golden color with high carbonation and an usually long lasting head. It's head is quite unusual and makes this beer worth trying by itself. Rich long lasting taste but without a bad aftertaste. A little bit of aroma, very drinkable and always a terrific beer to rediscover.

4.72/5  rDev +33%

4.72/5  rDev +33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i lived in NL for two years and enjoyed many, many glasses of leffe blonde. it was the very first beer i bought when i arrived, if only because the six pack came with a free glass which i needed (all of my kitchenware was on a slow boat). nine years later and i still remember that divine first taste. and to think that a six pack plus glass cost the equivalent of under $4 at the time....

i have had this beer on tap and out of a bottle many times in the BeNeLux area as well as some parts of the US (NYC, DC, austin). very recently had several bottles while visiting the eifel part of germany, very near belgium. it was as good as i remembered. in my experience, the quality is more consistent out of the bottle and definitely better either way in europe than in the US.

at its best, it has a wonderful, complex flavor with a bit of sweetness, but nothing heavy or cloying. this complexity seems to go away somewhat if it sits in a keg for too long or isn't optimally stored in shipping. the leffe i've had in the US was good, just not outstanding. maybe 0.5 points down overall.

for me, leffe blonde is the belgian beer i always go back to. a great 'comfort beer'. there are others i like better in certain ways or for certain times, but this is definitely the best i've had in this particular style.

4.7/5  rDev +32.4%

What an awesome beer! Can't believe it's taken me this long to discover such a treasure... almost like a super hefe-weizen, this beer pours a gorgeous bronze color with a nice, frothy head that has decent staying power... The aroma is wonderful - full of banana, fruits, and spices... The taste is super-rich... full of exciting and bold flavors that strongly complement the aroma... Has a superb mouthfeel that sticks to the palate and taste buds... flavor is long-lasting and very satisfying... a relatively strong alcohol percentage is the only thing holding me back from giving this a perfect five, but the 6.6% is really not felt so much, as the alcohol is hard to detect behind a creamy and rich taste... Definitely recommended... a must-try...

4.68/5  rDev +31.8%

It poured a spectacular clear orange gold and developed a thin white head. The aroma is full of spice and fruit. The taste is bold and full of flavors. There are several spices and fruits competing for room here. It's a great blend and the flavor filled out as the beer warmed. A good solid medium feel to this with a bit of carbonation. I think there was a little hops, but no more than just enough to keep this from being too sweet, no bitterness at all. This one definately goes on the regular list.

4.65/5  rDev +31%

The presentation starts in the beautiful bottle, and it pours out to an excellent straw color with a fluffy head. The smell is of spiced rum for some reason.

The taste is brilliant, with hints of fruit. It's very sweet, and a little light on the hops. This reminds me of the taste of whiskey.

The mouthfeel is fairly good, but nothing too exciting.

This is definitely a drinkable beer and I recommend this to everyone.

4.65/5  rDev +31%

What a great blond. An authentic Belgian abbey beer which can be dated back to 1240 a the Abbey de Notre Dame. Leffe is now owned and produced by Stella Artois. Quite delicious, with well rounded fullbodied taste. With a higher than usually abv at 6.6%, it goes down very easily.

This beer is quite delicious, it hold a very appealing aroma and appearance. Very thick in texture, which make sit even more appealing to the palate. Leffe Blond has a sunny golden color, mellow malt flavours, and a touch of spiciness to deliver full-bodied delicate sweetness; though it takes some time to drink because of the sweetness.

Leffe Blond has a well-balanced malt flavouring worthy of any beer drinker. The aroma brings me back to something in my childhood, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Cheers.

4.65/5  rDev +31%

Its like looking through a glass of clover honey, the head was disappointing it was a finger and a 1/4 of cream soda head that dissipated quickly but is actually leaving a light lacing on my glass.

It smells like a mix of overly ripe avocados (Not odd for a Belgian ale to me at least) and alfalfa hay bales. Finishing with a little wisp of the alcohol.

First thing that hit me as I took a drink was the carbonation burning my tongue very sprite like carbonation... It has however mellowed out and is quite smooth now on my 4th or 5th sip.

It's got a slight crispness to it that mellows into a fermented fruit, and leaves the palette sticky with a happy coppery slime. Classic Belgian ale

I will be polishing off this brew over the Christmas holiday, I'd call this one very drinkable.

4.64/5  rDev +30.7%

4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

A- Beautiful pumpkin orange hue... 2 1/2 finger snow white head with lacing that clings like spider webs as it disappears.

S- Banana, clove, nutmeg, and freshly harvested wheat! This beer always smells like spring to me!

T- Honey, ginger and banana right up front. Clove, sweet licorice, and jelly beans follow as it warms up. I love how bready, fresh and yeasty this blonde lovely is. Such depth and dimension.

M- I love the carbonation tingle as it dances on your tongue, and the sticky sweet honey taste that lingers for what seems like forever!

D- The only thing you need to think about when drinking this one, is when should I take the next one out of the fridge to warm up. It's so simple and delicious... goes with so many different foods... Chinese, Thai, fish, grilled pineapple/chicken skewers, desert... Mmmm...

4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

Nice golden color with reddish tint. Persistent carbonation, generous white head that diminishes slowly. Smells more alchoholic than 6.6%. A clean, fruity smell
Tastes very refreshing. Definite alcohol warmth. Malty, but not BIG malty. It's balanced well with hop bitterness and a fruitiness that I assume comes from the hops, and maybe yeast? This one is hard to pin down. Mouthfeel is dry, yet refreshing. Crisp, I suppose is the word.

VERY drinkable. Probably the drinkablest(?) Belgian I've had yet.

4.55/5  rDev +28.2%

Poured from a bottled into a belgian style tulip glass. Nice head formation torward the top of the glass. Citrus and Coriander on the nose. Formed tiny (champagne like) bubbles that lasted until I was done with this 11.2 oz bottle (not long). Nice lace. Smooth and well balanced. Wonderful golden color. Easy to drink. Perfect summertime beer.

4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

4.51/5  rDev +27%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a big fan of Belgium ales but at $4.oo for 750ml how could I resist. This bottle had a Champaign cork that came out with minimal effort.

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a huge white head that left lots of lace on the glass.

Aroma was sweet with a bit of sour but the fruit was definitely up front.

Carbonation was just right. The yeast flavor was minimal and not sour.

Like Belgium ales it was complex with light fruit (banana) a touch of sour, a sweetness others my find too much but not me. For me the sweetness balanced well with the tart. Great balance of hops and malt with neither dominating the other.

I was really surprised how much I liked this beer and would recommend it to anyone wanting to try Belgium for the first time.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Another of the many biers my wife brought me from her trip to France (thank you, honey!). I was disappointed because she was limited to how much she could bring home and she accidentally bought two of these. However...

Poured a sweet nutty brown with a great foamy head which lasted forever (seemed like it anyway). Smells of citrus and a hint of bannana. Taste definitely proved my nose correct with the bannana and fruityness. Almost had a Hefe feel and taste to it. Maybe that's why I liked it so much. I couldn't get enough of this. I am so glad I had a full liter of it. Oh wait, and I have another. Thank God for mistakes!

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.