Yukon Red Amber Ale (Arctic Red) - Yukon Brewing Company

Yukon Red Amber Ale (Arctic Red)Yukon Red Amber Ale (Arctic Red)

Yukon Brewing Company visit their website
Yukon, Canada

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: IronDjinn on 07-06-2003

Formerly called Arctic Red
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.46/5  rDev +12.9%

Cool new bottle from BigBry with a artistically drawn caribou (?) against an Arctic background. Nice mahogany body, with an abundant creamy head that laced sheets. Nutty, caramel aroma. I found the taste to have a really pleasant sweet malt character, with nut, caramel and fruit all coming out...all balanced by some floral hopping. Medium bodied with light carbonation. This is a really good beer, which I could session all night long. It has just the right balance of malt and hops to really hit my spot. If it was for sale in Ontario it would definitely be a regular purchase. (580 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I liked their expresso stout so thought I'd give this a go.

Nice reddish brown beer that had a big 3 fingered head that settled down fairly quick. Really, really clear beer. The lacing is still sticking to the top of the glass even though I'm halfway done drinking it. Very nice!

Toasted malt and a combo of pine/citrus are the aromas I found.

Taste matched the sites discription of a red ale should taste like..other than the fruitiness. Great balance between the toasted malts and citrus/pine hops.

k..I'm gushing here..but this is one smooth beer. Carbonation level is perfect for the flavors.

Yukom is two for three so far in my books. This would make a great session brew even with the 5.5APV. Next up Yukon Gold. (734 characters)

I've said in other reviews that this is a style I just don't "get." This beer could change things.

It poured dark red with a rocky, one-finger head that remained as I continued to drink. The first sniff delivered floral, pine-y hops that reminded me most of an IPA, but it yielded to a malty aroma that reminded me of fresh-baked bread.

The malt was more assertive in the taste, however, the hops made themselves known. A well-balanced brew, though I wondered if I like this beer because it came close (to me) to tasting like an American Pale Ale.

This beer went down smooth on the palate with a nice medium body. There's no doubt I liked it, but I do question whether it conforms to the style. (703 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From a single bottle shared with a friend....

Poured slightly reddish with a white head. Smelled fresh, with some pleasant crisp hops on the nose, along with some nice mellow malt. Taste was crisp and clear also with the maltiness coming through nicely along with subduded hop flavor. Very smooth and easy to drink. a nice surprize, i thought overall. (354 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

From a 'Thirst Aid Kit", a twelve pack of four different Yukon brews.

Poured into the tumbler a clear dark amber. The head was a short-lived finger of mid-sized biege bubbles. Lacing was heavy.

The smell was sweet toasty malts, floral piney hops, and a subtle tropical citric fruitiness. Grapefruit.

The taste was anchored by a solid sweet malty backbone. Nicely balanced with the generous spicy floral hops. Lovely sweet malt/ bitter hopped finish. Crisp.

Medium to light bodied. Mild carbonation.

Very nice! Drinkability is quite high, sessionable. Thoroughly enjoyable. (593 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

One of 4 selections in the Yukon "Thirst Aid Kit" mixed 12 pack, and it came with a free Yukon pint glass.
Pours a dark reddish brown color, short slightly tan head. The thick foam fades into a thin floating cap and ring after a few minutes. There is a strong smell of hops. A clean, bitter aroma, but not much other smells to balance. Lots of hoppy flavor, especially in the finish. Just my opinion, but not quite enough malty sweetness to balance. Good carbonation and solid body to it. Drinkability? very good, pairs nicely with most any food. Pass me another. (564 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark ruddy brown with a finger of creamy tan head. The head fades into a thin cap and ring after a few minutes.

The dominant smell is hops. In fact it reminds me of an APA's smell. The smell isn't too strong, and it is fairly nice. Just a little one dimensional.

On the taste side of things I'd say it is a bit one dimensional again. I like the hoppy bitter finish, there is plenty of it, but I don't find a malt balance up front. There doesn't seem to be anything sweet about the beer, only a tart citrus and bitter finish. Good, but just feels like something is missing.

Mouthfeel is quite good, carbonation is notable but not rough, and the beer has a touch of body to it, but is not oily. As far as drinkability, this beer keeps you coming back for your next sip, and this bottle has not lasted long.

All in all this really is a good beer, despite the fact that I felt something was missing. I think I may have been craving something a bit sweeter, but the quality of this beer has shone through, and I've enjoyed it even though it wasn't what I was craving. (1,082 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Managed to sample some of this on tap at the St.Jame's Gate Pub in Banff. Served with a nice thick off-white head capping off a deep burnished garnet body, a sensuous mahogany in the absence of direct light. The caramel malt is more prominent on draught, with the hops playing a bit more akin to second fiddle. The flavour is more balanced though, rich robust sweet caramel malt accompanied by flowery and herbal hops on the finish, ideal for a red ale. Mouthfeel was thick and creamy, great body to it. This could easily make a fantastic session ale for any night out at the pub. Glad I finally managed to try it on draught. (625 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle inspection: No date, 5.5% abv, and a picture of Jean Luc Picard gone all Arctic (just kidding).
Aroma: Wonderful floral hop nose supported with sweet malt nectar. There are some mild spices, perhaps coriander, perhaps just some peppery hop notes, and bread yeast aromas as well.
Appearance: Well, red. More of an amber with neutral light, but clear grapefruit red at first glance. What a head! Tiny bubbles of mocha colored froth that clung to the sides of my glass like frost. A great looking beer!
Flavor: Fabulous balance between an amber malt and floral hop. Both flavors assert themselves, but compliment each other. The malt is a bit heavier as the beer warmed and had the slightest bit of cloying, but not unpleasant.
Mouthfeel: Smooth medium body, nice carbonation level, sparkles but doesn’t fizz, and really makes me want to just chug this baby.
Overall Impression: Drinkability? I’m done! It is taking effort just to make the beer last through the reviewing process. I could easily see another after this as well, a smashing session beer. My sister brought this back from Alaska for me, and I owe her thanks! (1,134 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Creamy malt, and some spice flavour. And yes, some hops for bit of bitter aftertaste.Bit of lace, aggressively carbonated on-tap version is not as good. Almost Yukon scenery colour of orange and red clouds. Like a session ale. Second best to their coffee porter. (262 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

This is the first beer I have tried from the Yukon, and I am truly impressed. From the Yukon Brewing Company in Whitehorse, I am sure this pleasantly warms many a stomach of those cold arctic regions.

A rich rosewood colour greets the eye, along with a smooth, cream couloured head. Red, light orange and amber colouration makes this a very pleasing beer in appearance. The head leaves good sticky lacing, and retains a nice filmy layer on top right down till the beer is finished. The head is supremely creamy, and very consistent, like a good Belgian. I did not expect such a complex and appetising aroma, to be honest. Cream, sweet malt lightly roasted, dark fruits, some light wood smells, nectar honey, and an expertly balanced flowery hop presence combine to form an exceptional aroma, reminding me of some of good Irish reds. The taste begins with sweet malt, fruits, but quickly goes to a bitter, dry, roasted taste. Excellent hop taste. Mouthfeel is dry but thirst quenching and full, lingering on the palate. Other than the dryness, this is highly drinkable. Who would have thought that the Yukon's only microbrewery would produce such a fantastic, tasteful ale? (Well, according to the website the Yukon has the highest per capita alcohol consumption in Canada...) This was a surprisingly pleasant find, and I think Arctic Red will be a fairly regular purchase of mine now. (1,387 characters)

Murky dark amber hue, nearly brown, with a short, soon-dead head.
Aroma is rich, malty, caramely, bold & brash, so far, so good for a nice red/amber.
Sweet taste at the onset, & smooth, tasty, tasty, tasty.
Medium body, smooth mouthfeel, comfortable texture. Seems to hit all the right notes for an Irish-style Red Ale. Really good amber from way up in the Yukon! Nice stuff! (378 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

This is turning into one my favourite local (ie. Canadian) session beers. The beer looks great as it is a beautiful reddish copper colour with a decent white head. What grabs my attention is the decent hop profile which makes this beer seem like it is made in Seattle or Portland rather than Whitehorse. The balance with the malt makes me want to drink more than a couple. Check out their website www.yukonbeer.com. (415 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last