Midnight Sun Espresso Stout - Yukon Brewing Company

Midnight Sun Espresso StoutMidnight Sun Espresso Stout

Yukon Brewing Company visit their website
Yukon, Canada

American Stout |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: lipschitz on 04-12-2004)
Reviews by Reswald:
Reswald

Alaska

06-26-2012 00:50:21 | More by Reswald
chickenm

British Columbia (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Pours dark black with a thin light brown head. No lacing. Really nice roasty aroma of coffee chocolate, with a slight caramel sweetness. The taste is similar although not quite as intense as the smell. Medium bodied with a fairly dry finish. Drinkability is good, this is a nicely done coffee stout from Yukon.

02-04-2010 04:02:30 | More by chickenm
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

341ml bottle, downed at the Sugar Bowl, on a snowy early winter evening.

This beer pours a solid black, with some reddish basal edges when held to the low light of the pub, and renders a single fat finger of bubbly, foamy pale mocha head, which disappears at a satisfying pace, leaving some random updrafts of mitochondrial lace around the glass.

It smells strongly of cold bitter black espresso, dark chocolate, and overburdened, but still perky earthy, leafy hops. The taste is light roasted choco-caramel malt, late-morning over-concentrated office coffee, mild dry chalky cocoa, and earthy hops. Nothing in the way of alcohol warming presents itself.

The carbonation is mild, but duly supportive, the body a decent medium weight, smooth and somewhat creamy. It finishes dry, the coffee and cocoa really co-opting any underlying, standard stout maltiness.

A rather intense coffee experience at first, but as my jaded virgin java palate softened to that particular form of bitterness, the chocolate and malt impressions slowly arose, making for a surprisingly drinkable stout, all things considered.

11-29-2009 02:08:21 | More by biboergosum
Sammy

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

A good-looking smooth and sweet 1 litre stout. Good session ale. Only criticism: not a lot of different tastes and a bit aggressive on carbonation. Wonderful milky capuccino expresso flavour like a top expresso. And nuts! Little beer taste.

Thanks IronDjinn. Pootz brought a jug and it did it again for me, in March 2005 and was fresh and more approproate carbonation.

05-28-2004 04:22:16 | More by Sammy
joemcgrath27

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

A - pitch black with short mocha head that retained a decent covering
S - bitter espresso bean chocolate fudge, light sweet raisins
T - strong espresso (maybe a double shot), with bitter dark chocolate, burnt roasty malt with light earthy hops
M - full body chewy with surprising carbonation with a bitter finish
D - in terms of flavour this is to regular stout as espresso is to regular coffee, and as a coffee and beer lover I can really appreciate this, maybe not for everybody but it is exactly as advertised

11-11-2010 04:12:08 | More by joemcgrath27
Orrshow

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance - Very dark...appears black and opaque but when held up to bright light there is a slight dark red tone. One inch of tan frothy head to start but it falls to just a thin cap after sitting for a minute leaving some nice lacing on my glass. As this one went down the lacing continued all the way down the glass.

Smell – Coffee is what this ones all about. The smell also strongly suggests roasted malts and sweet caramel. This beer is very nice to put up to your nose.

Taste – Wonderful. This beer is so strong of coffee up front. The roasted malts soon make their presence felt with a hint of chocolately sweetness. Once swallowed an almost burnt wood feeling it left on the tongue and it is pleasing.

Mouthfeel – The body was nice, about right for the style. This beer could use less carbonation in my opinion though and this takes away from it. Still goes down very easily.

Drinkability – An excellent brew. Smooth, full of flavor, and oh so enjoyable.

This beer is a great one and I’m glad it’s Canadian because it will be readily available. Midnight Sun exceeded my expectations being my first from the Yukon brewery.

03-07-2006 01:44:02 | More by Orrshow
vanrassel

Alberta (Canada)

I make a habit of watching English soccer on Saturday mornings with a breakfast of scrambled eggs and sausage. Depending on my mood, I'll drink coffee or Guinness Extra Stout. A coffee stout? It's an awesome compromise!

This beer does the job admirably, pouring dark brown from the 1L caged bottle and sitting opaque in my pint glass. A bubbly tan head topped a fragrant body with a surprisingly subtle burnt/roasted malt aroma. Not to say it wasn't there, but it didn't dominate over a sweet chocolatey smell with a hint of licorice.

The taste started out malty and chocolatey before the coffee kicked in. It left a dry, bitter aftertaste, but it wasn't overwhelming. The coffee taste built up over time, though I was pleasantly surprised how much I was enjoying this beer even as I neared the end of the bottle. Overall, this is a very drinkable beer.

10-15-2006 22:11:04 | More by vanrassel
eat

Quebec (Canada)

Looks like stout. Jet black with a thin mocha head. You probably couldn't see a flashlight shining on the other side of this stuff (I actually just tried putting it up to a light and literally no light shone through...this stuff is black and opaque). Thick lacing up the sides of the glass. The head almost completely disappeared halfway through drinking this.

Tons of coffee smell. Though I wouldn't say it smells much like espresso; more like a Tim Horton's iced cappuccino. Not exactly a bad thing.

Nice coffee flavour. The espresso comes out more in the flavour than in the smell; this does actually taste a little like espresso as opposed to plain old coffee. Roasted coffee beans are very noticeable. Some dark chocolate in there too, as usual with espresso stout, presenting a nice bitter sweetness.

Not too creamy like some stouts; more of a medium bodied stout. Not much carbonation, but this is fitting.

Very drinkable. I feel like I would be blown away by this is I hadn't already drank a lot of Peche Mortel, which is the absolute gold standard of espresso stouts. This nonetheless is a great beer. I don't think I would buy it again since Peche Mortel is just on a whole other level and very available here, but in its absence this would do. Not a bad beer, just no Peche Mortel.

05-28-2009 05:15:27 | More by eat
elricorico

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from the big 1L fliptop bottle, and I think I let it glug a bit too much, because the head was more than 2 inches tall to start. That settled down however, and now this black beer is crowned by a finger thick chocolate milk coloured head and lacing circles the bottle. Looks about as good as one could hope for as a stout.

The smell is coffee grounds, and a lot of it. Minor chocolate hint and something else that I can't put my finger on. However that something else in my opinion takes away from the overall effect. The closest I can get is to say there is something sour to it.

And when it comes to taste, ground coffee is big. A semi sweet, coffee with cream from front to back. Minor bitterness in the finish, but nothing to compete with the sweet side of this beer. With each taste the coffee flavour builds up. Good taste, even though I'm not a huge coffee fan.

Mouthfeel is creamy and very low in carbonation. I find a bit of film stays in the mouth, especially about the tip of the tongue. About right for a stout but doesn't make any great impression in this category.

Drinkable? Probably more so for a coffee drinker. I think I prefer a stout that brings the coffee flavour more subtly amongst the other flavours. It is a well made brew though, no doubt about that.

03-13-2006 02:43:25 | More by elricorico
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance. Pours black with a figer of frothy tan head.

Smell. Roasty dark malts, medium roast coffee and a little molasses and chocolate.

Taste. Dark roasty malts, tobacco and molasses, slightly sour coffee with some smokey dark malt bitterness in the end.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body with medium, slightly prickly carbonation.

Overall. Good everyday drinker. A little rough around the edges but drinks well.

07-28-2011 02:59:01 | More by Rutager
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small brown head. Aroma is pure coffee with subtle roasted malt. Taste is definitely dominated by the coffee with pure creamy roasted malt and light bitter ending. Wow, I’m quite impressed with that one and I don’t think I ever had a beer with so much coffee in it. Body is above average but could be fuller. Alcohol is also a bit low and I think the beer could have benefited from a higher ABV. Definitely the best beer from this brewery and impressive considering the no-man land it is coming from.

10-26-2005 16:11:50 | More by Phyl21ca
Nightwing

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from bottle. Great aroma of coffee and chocolate. Pours black with minimal tan head. Medium bitter taste. Full bodied, creamy texture, with soft carbonation. Overall an excellent stout that is just bitter enough, well balanced.

08-29-2014 00:40:12 | More by Nightwing
ZorPrime

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Tasted on May 31, 2009.

Wow, how to finish a month to drink this remarkable beer. Mine says 6.1% ABV, not 6.2%.

A: Dark black color. Very opaque. Nice color!
S: Not a strong smell. Coffee beans, slightly roasted. Hints of chocolate. It would be best if the smell was stronger!!
T: Taste is strong. Expresso coffee taste. It appears that I'm drinking a coffee... no it is a beer. I like it!
M: Full bodied beer with a taste that stays in the mouth for a long time just like a good expresso.
D: So easy to drink it is crazy!

Note to myself: Go get more to stash some in the house in case it is not a regular one at SAQ anymore.

06-07-2009 23:45:12 | More by ZorPrime
bloberglawp

Quebec (Canada)

Huge 1 l bottle from CanBIF, thanks Irondjinn! Served in staight pint like glasses... around 20c.

Immediate coffee smell, not overwelming. Pours pitch black with medium light brown head that dissipates quickly. Taste of roasted barley, bitter coffee and pure chocolate. Amazingly very well balanced.

mattt

09-12-2006 02:09:28 | More by bloberglawp
Garin

2.42/5  rDev -37.1%

It poured a wonderful deep black, such a black I haven't seen since Shakespeare Stout... On top is a creamy foamy dense head that leaves nice clingy lace on my glass. Talk about a great start.

On the nose I find coffee, almost more like stale coffee grounds than fresh espresso. Underneath is an ashy charcoal aroma.

The flavour begins with a hit of sharp and bright coffee -- quite thin actually. It fills out with a black malt acidity and bite. The flavour is entirely in the front half of the mouth, it's quite frustrating. I just wish it would round itself out but it doesn't.

The mouthfeel is quite light and thin as well. Interesting. I really wasn't expecting it to feel like this, but here it is.

Overall, it definitely has the feel of stale coffee to me. It's unfortunate, I was hoping for much more, but I don't really find this to be a satisfying stout at all. Ah well. At least I get the cool bottle.

06-12-2004 05:58:23 | More by Garin
mmurphy525

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

06-30-2013 19:37:10 | More by mmurphy525
IronDjinn

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

I'm not and never have been a coffee drinker, but this was far too tempting to pass up, considering I enjoy what Yukon Brewing puts out. If I'm not mistaken I think Red Hook made a coffee stout with Starbuck's way back in the mid-90's, before Starbuck's became the global giant it is and back when Red Hook was actually still quite good. Yet in the present case it's nice to see two small quality local companies teaming up to make a new offering for these parts.

This Midnight Sun Espresso Stout comes in a brown 1 L flip top bottle, yellow-orange label with the Midnight Sun Coffee Roasters logo on it. (BA fun fact: check out gueuzegeek's profile, she has a part of their logo as her avatar). The stout pours out the blackest of black, permeable sunlight need not apply for this gig. Big creamy tan head, but the retention doesn't last very long. Leaves a dime's width of a cap on top most of the way down though, and a thick layer of lacing.

Roasted malt with a big whopping of coffee upfront on the nose, plus I'm picking up a bit of lactose sweetness as well. The flavour is all big roasted malt and coffee, some burnt wood bitterness in the middle, but rounded out nicely by the sweetness that the lactose has to offer. Seems to me like a milk stout infused with coffee, a very nice blend indeed, the espresso presence is smooth and doesn't leave much of a bite at all. The mouthfeel isn't as full as the appearance would initially let on, but this is a real smooth easy-drinker for a stout, would make a very fine after-dinner session beer to share with company.

No sir, I'm not a coffee drinker at all, but I am thoroughly enjoying this. I'll definitely be stocking up on more when I get the chance, cheers to Yukon Brewing once again for staying outside the box (oh how I hate corporate lingo), and making fine use of the resources around them, this is a great collaboration. And many thanks to lipschitz for tipping me off about this stuff, which spurred an impromptu visit to Edmonton mere days later to pick some up.

05-02-2004 20:25:48 | More by IronDjinn
CurtisD

New Brunswick (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

07-12-2013 02:29:32 | More by CurtisD
3Vandoo

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Ive been waiting to drink this beer since more than a month now. Big big big thanx to IronDjinn for providing me a bottle of this beer.

A tarish beer, very dark, black and opaque, a tin head that slowly let herself die on the glass.

Smell of caramel and sugar, I cannot perceived any coffee aroma "yet", actually the smell reminds me more of an imperial stout, very similar to the Welllington.

Now, I must say I am a bit dissapointed, as it say "expresso" so I am waiting for a beer ranking with such beer as pêché mortel de DDC or Imperial Stout from Bieropholie were their coffee aroma is very very present. Well here; at first the stout's like characteric of the type is very present, then aroma of the espresso come and hits you. The coffee aromas are just balanced well, compared to other types I had. Actually I would have like it to be more present. Some malt is present, a tiny bit of sourness is there nothing much just they only say hello and leave as quickly

Okay! Here my second glass, and well everything that were noted.. I must correct them.
The head is quite present now, dissapeared very quickly.
Smell is more of coffee, but the coffee's taste is hitting you right away, now it tastes and smells like coffee. My second glass is totally different from the first pint I just had. Bitterness accompany this beer, actually more sourness reminding me of black coffee.

Something I might consider for my establishment, as the bottle is great!

Again thanx to the IronDjinn for this sample.

12-25-2004 04:09:31 | More by 3Vandoo
MrTinnedPEach

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

01-05-2013 18:32:08 | More by MrTinnedPEach
ritzkiss

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle back at the hotel in Montreal. 12oz pours a dark brown with some cappuccino head.

Nose is loaded with coffee grounds and roasting malts, a hint of something sweeter underlining it.

Coffee grounds (not really espresso), bitter chocolate, roasted malts, a touch of oats, some sweetness, a touch of hop bite in the finish. Smooth, slightly lean body.

Very drinkable, a nice Canadian stout for sure.

07-25-2009 14:16:11 | More by ritzkiss
ptarmigan98

Manitoba (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

02-16-2013 01:29:45 | More by ptarmigan98
spinrsx

3.58/5  rDev -7%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours an opaque black/brown colour with a large frothy light brown coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - chocolate, malts, grains, coffee, smoke

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and most of the taste consists of coffee, chocolate, breads/grains and malts. There is also a bit of a burnt flavour that causes the beer to have a smoky taste. The beer finishes bitter coffee aftertaste.

Overall – The beer needs a little bit of a boost on the carbonation levels.. it felt flat and even a little watery on the tongue. The beer had a decent coffee smell and taste, but the other flavours were pretty weak. Anyways, I'm happy I tried it but I wouldn't buy it again.

05-30-2011 16:47:30 | More by spinrsx
DreamDeath

New Brunswick (Canada)

05-18-2014 06:01:54 | More by DreamDeath
jneiswender

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Had this beer poured out of a bottle into a sample glass at the Mondial de la Biere in Montreal.

A-Poured black with a nice tan head.

S-very strong roasted coffee smell

T-toast, some balancing sweetness but the espresso flavor is really on display here but not in any overpowering way

M-thick but not too dry on the palate

D-one of my favorite beers of the festival. Really delicious. You know you are drinking beer but you also know that it definitely tastes like espresso.

06-13-2009 21:43:54 | More by jneiswender