Midnight Sun Espresso Stout - Yukon Brewing Company

Midnight Sun Espresso StoutMidnight Sun Espresso Stout

Yukon Brewing Company visit their website
Yukon, Canada

American Stout |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: lipschitz on 04-12-2004)

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012
2.42/5  rDev -37.1%

It poured a wonderful deep black, such a black I haven't seen since Shakespeare Stout... On top is a creamy foamy dense head that leaves nice clingy lace on my glass. Talk about a great start.

On the nose I find coffee, almost more like stale coffee grounds than fresh espresso. Underneath is an ashy charcoal aroma.

The flavour begins with a hit of sharp and bright coffee -- quite thin actually. It fills out with a black malt acidity and bite. The flavour is entirely in the front half of the mouth, it's quite frustrating. I just wish it would round itself out but it doesn't.

The mouthfeel is quite light and thin as well. Interesting. I really wasn't expecting it to feel like this, but here it is.

Overall, it definitely has the feel of stale coffee to me. It's unfortunate, I was hoping for much more, but I don't really find this to be a satisfying stout at all. Ah well. At least I get the cool bottle.

Garin, Jun 12, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Got this one in a trade with jprime. I'd wanted to try this one for a while, so thanks for helping out man!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A dark pour produces a one finger, medium looking, somewhat noisy tan head with good retention. Black body with zero carbonation evident. Head fades to a ring and decent wisp that persist until the end and leave some dots of lacing down the glass. Good look, but the head needs to relax a little.

SMELL: A mild nose of roasted and smoky malt with some soft espresso coffee notes. Pleasant, but simply too mute.

TASTE: Relatively sweet with very little espresso. Roasted malts and caramel up front with some soft, mild coffee notes at the finish. Mild flavors and slightly watery through the middle. At the swallow, however, things come to life a little. A smoky and sweet caramel aftertaste is bigger and lingers nicely, with touches of bitter espresso as balance. This is just too mild to be memorable, and the espresso flavors aren’t forthcoming enough.

PALATE: Medium body and lower levels of carbonation. A little watery on the palate, goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. Needs to be fuller and creamier; too watery.

OVERALL: A little disappointing as an espresso stout. All the elements are there, but it’s simply too mild and watery to even be considered average. Flavors picked up a little after the swallow, but that is only half of the story. Glad to have tried this long time Want, but will not be seeking this one out again. Thanks for the hook up jprime!

Jeffo, Aug 21, 2011

DreamDeath, May 18, 2014

blackcloud, Jan 03, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into my meantime snifter (thx northyorksammy!), Midnight Sun Espresso Stout
is a dark, cola brown, small tan collar, no lace.

Smell is pretty strong coffee, though more acrid then freshly ground beans like you get in better coffee beers, with some chalk and iron notes as well.

Taste is more like a porter then stout to me, more black patent then roast. Coffee is not as strong as the nose. The bitterness is countered by some residual sugar, perhaps lactose?

Mouthfeel is smooth, slick, and medium bodied.

Drinkablity is average. Smooth, easy drinker, but generic. Glad to have tried it though.

ccrida, Aug 30, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

A - completely black, an agressive pour nets just about zero for head. No lacing either.

S - got a nice blast of espresso upon cracking the bottle open. In the glass, it is more subdued, has a dusty/musty element, and frankly is not overly appealing.

T - Taste is fairly bland, some dusty vague coffee, very little roast, and very little malt to round it out. Aftertaste is about the best thing, where finally some roasted flavours emerge.

M - medium body, med low carbonation, can't really say anything bad about mouthfeel

D - the aftertaste keeps making me think it's good, so I take another sip, and then I'm reminded why I don't like it... and around and around it goes.

I had been wanting to try this for awhile, but had been scared off by the 1L swing top bottle priced around $10. So I was quite happy when I heard Yukon was switching this beer to their standard 6-pack packaging for roughly the same price.

Kind of an odd one. I opened this 6-pack last weekend at my inlaws in Calgary. I didn't really care for it at the time, but I chalked it up to nonideal cirumstances (wrong glassware, socializing with family, etc). So I'm trying it again at home by myself, and it's still very much a ho-hum kinda beer. The coffee flavour in this one is flat out unappealling, and the underlying beer seems restrained. Gets better as it warms, but still a let down. I will stick to their excellent Red and Lead Dog ales.

markaberrant, Mar 21, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Long813, Aug 16, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -13%

Pours an almost opaque black with tan head.

Smells of coffee, bit of cherry, roast malt, something lactic. I like it.

Taste not as good as aroma. Coffee is nice, light smoke, bit of fruity tang, but the lactic tinge is not so great.

Smooth beer, but the mouthfeel is a bit too thin and watery.

Not quite as good as I was hoping, but an enjoyable coffee stout.

notdan, Jul 19, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -13%

A - hard pour into a snifter only produces a tiny tan head that's fading fast. Totally black. Medium to heavy carbonation.

S - I could smell the coffee when I opened it. Aroma is tons more plus lot's of roasted malts. Combined the two sort of create this unpleasant aroma like burnt coffee but it's not too harsh as to not be able to separate the two.

T - Roasty. Malty sweetness. Coffee is more subdued in the flavour like hops in an EPA. Bitterness lingers. Not overly complex but nice.

M - Carbonation makes this less pleasant than it has potential to be.

D - If stout are your scene than this could be a really nice session beer. ABV is slightly higher than I'd like in a session stout but the coffee makes me want to come back for more.

I've had better stouts but this is a decent one from a brewery I didn't have great expectations for.

tbeckett, Aug 01, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

341 mL bottle with date notched in label poured into pint glass. Noticed too late that this beer is two months past its best-by date. Oh well, let's give it a shot anyway.

Pours a deep enough brown to be confused with black, only hints of oaky brown at the edges when held to light. Mocha head is a finger high and bubbly, fades quickly, but leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Nose is a nicely potent coffee, roasted grains, hints of chocolate and caramel.

Coffee holds back a bit in the flavour. It's still there, but I get more of a caramel and roasted/charred bread and grain flavour up front, and some fruity esters and mild bitterness on the finish.

Smooth body, nice carbonation, but a bit too thin for my liking.

Overall this is a good espresso stout, and if I lived in Montreal, I would likely buy this regularly if it were available all winter. It's no Peche Mortel, but it's tasty.

nighthawk, Nov 03, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours opaque black with small tan head that dissipates quite quickly.

Smell- I get roasted malts, coffee, sweet cherry and some sweet malt.

Taste- Initially I get whalloped with malty sweetness (molasses comes to mind). Next, you get lots of roasted malts and coffee, as well as a mild smoky flavour. Finishes with a slight bitter espresso aftertaste. Overall, a pretty good flavour profile, although I found this a little bit sweet. I think that the coffee, roasted malt, and smoke characteristics get overshadowed by the initial malty sweetness.... Still pretty tasty though, but I expected more espresso.

Mouthfeel- A bit too thin for my tastes. Quite sticky, but not as viscous as I think a stout should be.

Drinkability- I think the sweetness of this beer takes away from its drinkability. One is alright for after supper for dessert, but I would not want to drink any more than one, or two at most.

Overall, a pretty good espresso stout, but perhaps a little bit too sweet, and not enough espresso in the flavour.

QuestionableScum, Sep 22, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

poured a pitch black color, with a small tan head.

smell was of chocolate, mocha. fairly nice.

taste was decent - heavy coffee, malt, and a slight bitterness to it.

overall is was pretty average stout, didn't find it to stand out amongst other similar styles i've had in the past.

fostachild, Aug 02, 2011
3.44/5  rDev -10.6%

psdriscoll, Sep 06, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance- very dark stout pours with a nice head. The nose is chocolate with a hint of coffee- surprising as I was expecting strong coffee smell. Taste- good roast flavours, and just like the smell, the espresso is subdued initially. May be because beer is too cold. Carbonation level is appropriate for the style. As get more into the beer, the espresso taste begins to develp more. Its probably a good thing that it was initially subdued. Mouthfeel is average for a stout. Great bottle as well- will be good for homebrew (1 litre flip top). Overall good effort.

oakbluff, Nov 13, 2006

Kmat10, May 29, 2013

rogerdandy, Dec 10, 2013

Socialiste, May 30, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

From notes. Black, thin mocha head fades fast, active, spotty lacing.

SMELL coffee, faint roast, faint sweetness. Not much.

TASTE roasted grains, bit of booze and coffee that it not overly aggressive and balanced by faintly sweet maltyness. A bit of bitterness in the finish. Not amazingly bold or complex, but smooth and balanced.

FEEL thin side of medium body, mild alc warmth, slightly viscous, and a mildly bitter by clean finish.

OVERALL Being not especially bold or aggressive, it drinks pretty easily. I had had this before and remembered it fondly, but this sample didn't live up to my memory. Doubt I'll be reaching for it often. But still one of the better offerings from this brewery.

sprucetip, Dec 15, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -7%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours an opaque black/brown colour with a large frothy light brown coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - chocolate, malts, grains, coffee, smoke

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and most of the taste consists of coffee, chocolate, breads/grains and malts. There is also a bit of a burnt flavour that causes the beer to have a smoky taste. The beer finishes bitter coffee aftertaste.

Overall – The beer needs a little bit of a boost on the carbonation levels.. it felt flat and even a little watery on the tongue. The beer had a decent coffee smell and taste, but the other flavours were pretty weak. Anyways, I'm happy I tried it but I wouldn't buy it again.

spinrsx, May 30, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -7%

A: Pitch black with a beautiful two-finger creamy mocha-coloured head. Head reminds me of whipping cream a little bit- quite creamy.

S: Very strong espresso aromas, quite alot of dark chocolate, and some faint vanilla. A strong roasted aroma hangs over this, almost bordering on too much- kind of like sticking your nose in a bag of ground coffee beans.

T: Espresso and dark chocolate is quite present and pleasing, but there is a surprising kick of earthy hops to even the flavour out. Wasn't expecting that from the overly-coffee aroma. Also picking up raspberry notes in this, as another reviewer pointed out.

M: Rather thin for the style, even coming in at 6.2%. Would prefer a bit more viscosity. Carbonation seems a bit flat, but it doesn't necessarily have an effect with this style.

D: Nice stout, but at $3.50/bottle (SAQ) I don't think I would be reaching for this again. Good offering from a Canadian brewery- great to see this sort of product out there.

Digimaika2, Jun 28, 2011