Midnight Sun Espresso Stout - Yukon Brewing Company

Midnight Sun Espresso StoutMidnight Sun Espresso Stout

Yukon Brewing Company visit their website
Yukon, Canada

American Stout |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: lipschitz on 04-12-2004)
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

If you're looking for a textbook stout appearance, this is it. Midnight black (no sun here) with a tan head that manages to give some lace. Aromas of coffee, cream and anise bode well. Full roasted flavour, with coffee and cream dominating, but with some caramel and bitterweet chocolate in the background. Meium body and carbonation. Another fantastic beer from Yukon.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Black with a light tan head, some retention & lacing.

S: Big coffee, dark chocolate, black strap molasses & hints of licorice.

T: Coffee, roasted grain, dark caramel, bakers chocolate, good bitterness. Flavour seems bigger than it is.

M: Moderate to full body with a dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

A - completely black, an agressive pour nets just about zero for head. No lacing either.

S - got a nice blast of espresso upon cracking the bottle open. In the glass, it is more subdued, has a dusty/musty element, and frankly is not overly appealing.

T - Taste is fairly bland, some dusty vague coffee, very little roast, and very little malt to round it out. Aftertaste is about the best thing, where finally some roasted flavours emerge.

M - medium body, med low carbonation, can't really say anything bad about mouthfeel

D - the aftertaste keeps making me think it's good, so I take another sip, and then I'm reminded why I don't like it... and around and around it goes.

I had been wanting to try this for awhile, but had been scared off by the 1L swing top bottle priced around $10. So I was quite happy when I heard Yukon was switching this beer to their standard 6-pack packaging for roughly the same price.

Kind of an odd one. I opened this 6-pack last weekend at my inlaws in Calgary. I didn't really care for it at the time, but I chalked it up to nonideal cirumstances (wrong glassware, socializing with family, etc). So I'm trying it again at home by myself, and it's still very much a ho-hum kinda beer. The coffee flavour in this one is flat out unappealling, and the underlying beer seems restrained. Gets better as it warms, but still a let down. I will stick to their excellent Red and Lead Dog ales.

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

Beautiful 1L bottle with a nice yellow-orange label, a raven clutching a coffee bean in it's beak.

Pours a solid black with a nice creamy-foam brown head. Lacing slides down the glass nice and thick.

Smell is a musty dark chocolate and espresso, delivering well on it's claim.

Tastes mellow and robust with an initial hit of bittersweet spicy espresso forming into juicy chocolate with a slightly dry, earthy, and toasted finish. Lingers nicely.

Feel is thick, smooth and rich, with a slight tartness.

After awhile this one's a bit cloying and sweet.

This is a memorable brew from the Yukon. Presentation is nice and inviting, and they have combined stout and espresso very well. I had this with soft pumpernickel and butter, but this would be remarkable to finish a juicy gravy and roast as well. I will be seeing this one several times over this coming fall and winter.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

1 litre growler sent to me by vanrassel, thanks man! I've been wating to try this for a while. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a completely opaque black oil colour, thick and good. 1/2 inch frothy brown head, lazy carbonation appears on the sides of the glass. Aroma is simple with lots of sweet chocolatey notes to back up the strong roasted coffee aroma, mild caramel and roasted malt. Not complex but nice.

Taste is much the same as the aroma, with lots of espresso, dark chocolate, roasted malt with a bit of milk chocolate sweetness to balance, caramel, and light general hop acidity and sourness. Not too sweet, not too bitter, very well balanced, just the way I like it. Thick mouthfeel, fairly creamy, with a spot-on mild carbonation. This is a solid coffee stout, drinkable, and one I'd come back to, especially on tap.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

bought the big 'honker' 1 litre bottle with the 'old-style' ceramic stopper.

I laughed out loud when pouring this one. looked exactly like used oil....or the dark Sumatra roast I'm addicted to from a local coffe shop.

nice coffee/malt/chocolate smell

very nice chocolate/coffee/malt taste..finishes quick and clean and then the nice coffee afterkick

thick and chewy with just the right amount of carbonation
would make a very nice finish to a good 'ol Alberta BBQ steak supper instead of a coffee..will have again

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance- very dark stout pours with a nice head. The nose is chocolate with a hint of coffee- surprising as I was expecting strong coffee smell. Taste- good roast flavours, and just like the smell, the espresso is subdued initially. May be because beer is too cold. Carbonation level is appropriate for the style. As get more into the beer, the espresso taste begins to develp more. Its probably a good thing that it was initially subdued. Mouthfeel is average for a stout. Great bottle as well- will be good for homebrew (1 litre flip top). Overall good effort.

I make a habit of watching English soccer on Saturday mornings with a breakfast of scrambled eggs and sausage. Depending on my mood, I'll drink coffee or Guinness Extra Stout. A coffee stout? It's an awesome compromise!

This beer does the job admirably, pouring dark brown from the 1L caged bottle and sitting opaque in my pint glass. A bubbly tan head topped a fragrant body with a surprisingly subtle burnt/roasted malt aroma. Not to say it wasn't there, but it didn't dominate over a sweet chocolatey smell with a hint of licorice.

The taste started out malty and chocolatey before the coffee kicked in. It left a dry, bitter aftertaste, but it wasn't overwhelming. The coffee taste built up over time, though I was pleasantly surprised how much I was enjoying this beer even as I neared the end of the bottle. Overall, this is a very drinkable beer.

Huge 1 l bottle from CanBIF, thanks Irondjinn! Served in staight pint like glasses... around 20c.

Immediate coffee smell, not overwelming. Pours pitch black with medium light brown head that dissipates quickly. Taste of roasted barley, bitter coffee and pure chocolate. Amazingly very well balanced.

mattt

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Pours out a deep black with a thinnish brown-colored head.

Smell: The sharp scent of stale coffee grounds is harshly acidic and unpleasant. Not at all like the aroma of freshly ground espresso.

Taste: Acutely bitter taste accentuated by a firm, acidic black malt flavor. Slight hints of wood and anise barely avoid being washed out by the acrid stale coffee bite. Exceedingly ashy tasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Slightly oily texture, and low carbonation.

Drinkability: Far too ashy to be enjoyable. Lacks the balancing sweetness and creaminess, which it desperately requires.

(Re-Sampled)

Appearance: Pours a black body with a full, frothy, ecru-colored head.

Smell: Dark malts and dry dark chocolate set against a backdrop of clean-smelling espresso.

Taste: Dark maltiness tasting of dark baker's chocolate. Splash of mountain spring water. Then comes the espresso that's, thankfully, not accompanied by any harsh, acidic, burnt, or ash hints to detract from it. Toast topped with a sprinkling of table sugar, though there's never more than a mild sweetness throughout. Slight bitterness. Plenty of clean-tasting espresso on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's good. A VAST improvement over the previous tasting of this beer.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the big 1L fliptop bottle, and I think I let it glug a bit too much, because the head was more than 2 inches tall to start. That settled down however, and now this black beer is crowned by a finger thick chocolate milk coloured head and lacing circles the bottle. Looks about as good as one could hope for as a stout.

The smell is coffee grounds, and a lot of it. Minor chocolate hint and something else that I can't put my finger on. However that something else in my opinion takes away from the overall effect. The closest I can get is to say there is something sour to it.

And when it comes to taste, ground coffee is big. A semi sweet, coffee with cream from front to back. Minor bitterness in the finish, but nothing to compete with the sweet side of this beer. With each taste the coffee flavour builds up. Good taste, even though I'm not a huge coffee fan.

Mouthfeel is creamy and very low in carbonation. I find a bit of film stays in the mouth, especially about the tip of the tongue. About right for a stout but doesn't make any great impression in this category.

Drinkable? Probably more so for a coffee drinker. I think I prefer a stout that brings the coffee flavour more subtly amongst the other flavours. It is a well made brew though, no doubt about that.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Very dark...appears black and opaque but when held up to bright light there is a slight dark red tone. One inch of tan frothy head to start but it falls to just a thin cap after sitting for a minute leaving some nice lacing on my glass. As this one went down the lacing continued all the way down the glass.

Smell – Coffee is what this ones all about. The smell also strongly suggests roasted malts and sweet caramel. This beer is very nice to put up to your nose.

Taste – Wonderful. This beer is so strong of coffee up front. The roasted malts soon make their presence felt with a hint of chocolately sweetness. Once swallowed an almost burnt wood feeling it left on the tongue and it is pleasing.

Mouthfeel – The body was nice, about right for the style. This beer could use less carbonation in my opinion though and this takes away from it. Still goes down very easily.

Drinkability – An excellent brew. Smooth, full of flavor, and oh so enjoyable.

This beer is a great one and I’m glad it’s Canadian because it will be readily available. Midnight Sun exceeded my expectations being my first from the Yukon brewery.

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small brown head. Aroma is pure coffee with subtle roasted malt. Taste is definitely dominated by the coffee with pure creamy roasted malt and light bitter ending. Wow, I’m quite impressed with that one and I don’t think I ever had a beer with so much coffee in it. Body is above average but could be fuller. Alcohol is also a bit low and I think the beer could have benefited from a higher ABV. Definitely the best beer from this brewery and impressive considering the no-man land it is coming from.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Almost black in colour with a tan head. Strong aromas of roasted malt, espresso, chocolate, caramel, and raisin. Flavors are of espresso, milk chocolate, mint, and even the slightest hint of red wine. Could be slightly fuller bodied, but this stuff is wonderfully complex.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours from a big swingtop bottle. Very black, nice tan head forms, laces well. Smells like bitter coffee, earthy, bitter again. Taste is so bitter it bitchslaps you from the bottle. Very bitter espresso right up front, some malts hidden in there somewhere too but the bitterness is overpowering. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel, very pleasant to drink, I really enjoyed this one. Thanks pootz!

4.53/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 Litre flip top bottle. Pours dark, almost black, full tan brown head. Foam recedes but doesn't disappear, leaves sticky lacing. Hold up to the light, and only the slightest touch of red shines through the edges. The aroma is total coffee, not just the coffeeish notes like in other stouts. Full rich flavor, roasted malt, smoke, and chocolate tastes to go with the coffee. Full-bodied, with mix of sweetness, coffee, and crisp finish. Thick and oily (but in a good way) that coats your tongue with all that complexity of flavors). I want to finish every big meal with this instead of a coffee. I think I have a new favorite! Must always keep a bottle on hand.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Ive been waiting to drink this beer since more than a month now. Big big big thanx to IronDjinn for providing me a bottle of this beer.

A tarish beer, very dark, black and opaque, a tin head that slowly let herself die on the glass.

Smell of caramel and sugar, I cannot perceived any coffee aroma "yet", actually the smell reminds me more of an imperial stout, very similar to the Welllington.

Now, I must say I am a bit dissapointed, as it say "expresso" so I am waiting for a beer ranking with such beer as pêché mortel de DDC or Imperial Stout from Bieropholie were their coffee aroma is very very present. Well here; at first the stout's like characteric of the type is very present, then aroma of the espresso come and hits you. The coffee aromas are just balanced well, compared to other types I had. Actually I would have like it to be more present. Some malt is present, a tiny bit of sourness is there nothing much just they only say hello and leave as quickly

Okay! Here my second glass, and well everything that were noted.. I must correct them.
The head is quite present now, dissapeared very quickly.
Smell is more of coffee, but the coffee's taste is hitting you right away, now it tastes and smells like coffee. My second glass is totally different from the first pint I just had. Bitterness accompany this beer, actually more sourness reminding me of black coffee.

Something I might consider for my establishment, as the bottle is great!

Again thanx to the IronDjinn for this sample.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

A very dark stout, drawing on tarlike qualities. Let no light through and was only momentarily capped by a medium milk chocolate coloured head.

The aromas, although not overly complex, were very firm and well balanced between the coffee and malt. Notes of espresso coffee and demerera sugar mingled with hints of roasted malt and fresh coffee grounds. Did not notice any signs of hops.

The beer posessed medium bodied, silky (almost oily) texture with solid notes of coffee and malted sweetness up front. Hints of licorice root followed and were overtaken by a firm hoppy/burnt bitterness.

Really interesting and satisfying beer for which I must thank my travelling friend from Calgary... Goodhate. Many thanks again!

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

I could scarcely wait to try this, after sampling what else Yukon Brewing offered. Though not an avid coffee drinker, I do enjoy a finely roasted cup now and again.

This poured with that glorious shimmering, wavy, draught appearance, as if the bottle had a widget. Impressive: it pours as if on tap. Stunning appearance for a bottled stout. Brown sugar head, sometimes darker, very sticky, with much lacing, and nice film that stays. The head also foams and churns healthily like something living: I actually found myself staring at the foam just watching for a couple minutes. Rich heavy blacks, with deep brown and red in there somewhere too. For looks, this is way up there with the absolute best of stouts. The aroma is definitely the strongest coffee smell yet in a beer I have tried. Rich, grainy, creamy vanilla, smoky, roasted, "warm" somehow, dry, and very unique. Raisins, slight sour smells, salt, baker's chocolate, creamy coffee, dare I say it: tar-like smells, leathery. Overall a very wintry warming aroma; unfortunately I am drinking it in the heat of summer. Coffee drinkers will love this. The taste fulfils the aroma, giving flavours of dark chocolate, raisins, mollasses, dark roast, tobacco. Very dry on the finish, sweet up front, coffee in the middle. Full-bodied, needless to say. The mouthfeel is adequately carbonated, tingling nicely on the tongue, but leaving slightly sour sensations after 1 or 2 glasses. For coffee drinkers, beer drinkers, or coffee/beer drinkers, this a real treat. I had my doubts, but they managed to combine the two smoothly and artfully. 3 cheers! An exceptional after-dinner drink, perfect with chocolate cake. Also paired brilliantly with Quebec brie, though the mild brie is lost beneath the heavy malting a little.

This Yukon Brewing Company never ceases to amaze. Just what kind of alchemy are we dealing with here? By far one the best far-north breweries. And another great name for a beer.

2.42/5  rDev -37.3%

It poured a wonderful deep black, such a black I haven't seen since Shakespeare Stout... On top is a creamy foamy dense head that leaves nice clingy lace on my glass. Talk about a great start.

On the nose I find coffee, almost more like stale coffee grounds than fresh espresso. Underneath is an ashy charcoal aroma.

The flavour begins with a hit of sharp and bright coffee -- quite thin actually. It fills out with a black malt acidity and bite. The flavour is entirely in the front half of the mouth, it's quite frustrating. I just wish it would round itself out but it doesn't.

The mouthfeel is quite light and thin as well. Interesting. I really wasn't expecting it to feel like this, but here it is.

Overall, it definitely has the feel of stale coffee to me. It's unfortunate, I was hoping for much more, but I don't really find this to be a satisfying stout at all. Ah well. At least I get the cool bottle.

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

A good-looking smooth and sweet 1 litre stout. Good session ale. Only criticism: not a lot of different tastes and a bit aggressive on carbonation. Wonderful milky capuccino expresso flavour like a top expresso. And nuts! Little beer taste.

Thanks IronDjinn. Pootz brought a jug and it did it again for me, in March 2005 and was fresh and more approproate carbonation.

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

Purchased in the 1 liter bottle with ceramic stopper/wire bail. Poured an impressive deep dark opaque cola color that defies light to pass through the glass. Rich tan cap that lasts. Aromas of sweet malts, cocoa, fresh cappuccino and spices. Starts a bit thin and sweet then builds to an oily mouth feel where the hop bitters and chunky cocoa-coffee tastes overpower the sweet malts. The finish is glorious....dry with lingering coffee/chocolate-dry after taste...then the warming feel of the 6.2%ABV...a wonderful stout...and I like stouts. I want to get this one and keep it cellared for cold winter nights.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

I'm not and never have been a coffee drinker, but this was far too tempting to pass up, considering I enjoy what Yukon Brewing puts out. If I'm not mistaken I think Red Hook made a coffee stout with Starbuck's way back in the mid-90's, before Starbuck's became the global giant it is and back when Red Hook was actually still quite good. Yet in the present case it's nice to see two small quality local companies teaming up to make a new offering for these parts.

This Midnight Sun Espresso Stout comes in a brown 1 L flip top bottle, yellow-orange label with the Midnight Sun Coffee Roasters logo on it. (BA fun fact: check out gueuzegeek's profile, she has a part of their logo as her avatar). The stout pours out the blackest of black, permeable sunlight need not apply for this gig. Big creamy tan head, but the retention doesn't last very long. Leaves a dime's width of a cap on top most of the way down though, and a thick layer of lacing.

Roasted malt with a big whopping of coffee upfront on the nose, plus I'm picking up a bit of lactose sweetness as well. The flavour is all big roasted malt and coffee, some burnt wood bitterness in the middle, but rounded out nicely by the sweetness that the lactose has to offer. Seems to me like a milk stout infused with coffee, a very nice blend indeed, the espresso presence is smooth and doesn't leave much of a bite at all. The mouthfeel isn't as full as the appearance would initially let on, but this is a real smooth easy-drinker for a stout, would make a very fine after-dinner session beer to share with company.

No sir, I'm not a coffee drinker at all, but I am thoroughly enjoying this. I'll definitely be stocking up on more when I get the chance, cheers to Yukon Brewing once again for staying outside the box (oh how I hate corporate lingo), and making fine use of the resources around them, this is a great collaboration. And many thanks to lipschitz for tipping me off about this stuff, which spurred an impromptu visit to Edmonton mere days later to pick some up.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well this definitely caught my eye in its 1 litre swing-top bottle. I was also quite excited to see a new release from the Yukon Brewing Company. This beer pours with the onyx hue that you expect from the style, nicely topped off with a deep tan head, reaching upwards of 3 fingers.
The aroma is predominantly coffee and charred wood, which sets the stage for what is to come. The taste opens with a very brief flash of sweet-ish malt, which is quickly overtaken by roasted, almost smokey qualities. Burnt toast lingers, with a nice bitterness finishing things off.
Mouthfeel seems thinner than it should be at the beginning, but seems to gain body (and flavour) the further into the litre you go.
This is definitely the most adventurous offering from the Yukon Brewing Company so far. While it becomes a little one-dimensional as you reach the halfway mark, it’s a pretty enjoyable dimension - worth checking out.

Midnight Sun Espresso Stout from Yukon Brewing Company