Midnight Sun Espresso Stout - Yukon Brewing Company

Midnight Sun Espresso StoutMidnight Sun Espresso Stout

Yukon Brewing Company visit their website
Yukon, Canada

American Stout |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: lipschitz on 04-12-2004)
View: Beers (31) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small brown head. Aroma is pure coffee with subtle roasted malt. Taste is definitely dominated by the coffee with pure creamy roasted malt and light bitter ending. Wow, I’m quite impressed with that one and I don’t think I ever had a beer with so much coffee in it. Body is above average but could be fuller. Alcohol is also a bit low and I think the beer could have benefited from a higher ABV. Definitely the best beer from this brewery and impressive considering the no-man land it is coming from.

10-26-2005 16:11:50 | More by Phyl21ca
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Almost black in colour with a tan head. Strong aromas of roasted malt, espresso, chocolate, caramel, and raisin. Flavors are of espresso, milk chocolate, mint, and even the slightest hint of red wine. Could be slightly fuller bodied, but this stuff is wonderfully complex.

10-18-2005 20:59:29 | More by fisherman34
Viggo

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours from a big swingtop bottle. Very black, nice tan head forms, laces well. Smells like bitter coffee, earthy, bitter again. Taste is so bitter it bitchslaps you from the bottle. Very bitter espresso right up front, some malts hidden in there somewhere too but the bitterness is overpowering. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel, very pleasant to drink, I really enjoyed this one. Thanks pootz!

05-30-2005 00:53:58 | More by Viggo
BigBry

4.53/5  rDev +18%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 Litre flip top bottle. Pours dark, almost black, full tan brown head. Foam recedes but doesn't disappear, leaves sticky lacing. Hold up to the light, and only the slightest touch of red shines through the edges. The aroma is total coffee, not just the coffeeish notes like in other stouts. Full rich flavor, roasted malt, smoke, and chocolate tastes to go with the coffee. Full-bodied, with mix of sweetness, coffee, and crisp finish. Thick and oily (but in a good way) that coats your tongue with all that complexity of flavors). I want to finish every big meal with this instead of a coffee. I think I have a new favorite! Must always keep a bottle on hand.

05-23-2005 21:29:08 | More by BigBry
3Vandoo

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Ive been waiting to drink this beer since more than a month now. Big big big thanx to IronDjinn for providing me a bottle of this beer.

A tarish beer, very dark, black and opaque, a tin head that slowly let herself die on the glass.

Smell of caramel and sugar, I cannot perceived any coffee aroma "yet", actually the smell reminds me more of an imperial stout, very similar to the Welllington.

Now, I must say I am a bit dissapointed, as it say "expresso" so I am waiting for a beer ranking with such beer as pêché mortel de DDC or Imperial Stout from Bieropholie were their coffee aroma is very very present. Well here; at first the stout's like characteric of the type is very present, then aroma of the espresso come and hits you. The coffee aromas are just balanced well, compared to other types I had. Actually I would have like it to be more present. Some malt is present, a tiny bit of sourness is there nothing much just they only say hello and leave as quickly

Okay! Here my second glass, and well everything that were noted.. I must correct them.
The head is quite present now, dissapeared very quickly.
Smell is more of coffee, but the coffee's taste is hitting you right away, now it tastes and smells like coffee. My second glass is totally different from the first pint I just had. Bitterness accompany this beer, actually more sourness reminding me of black coffee.

Something I might consider for my establishment, as the bottle is great!

Again thanx to the IronDjinn for this sample.

12-25-2004 04:09:31 | More by 3Vandoo
Beersignal

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

A very dark stout, drawing on tarlike qualities. Let no light through and was only momentarily capped by a medium milk chocolate coloured head.

The aromas, although not overly complex, were very firm and well balanced between the coffee and malt. Notes of espresso coffee and demerera sugar mingled with hints of roasted malt and fresh coffee grounds. Did not notice any signs of hops.

The beer posessed medium bodied, silky (almost oily) texture with solid notes of coffee and malted sweetness up front. Hints of licorice root followed and were overtaken by a firm hoppy/burnt bitterness.

Really interesting and satisfying beer for which I must thank my travelling friend from Calgary... Goodhate. Many thanks again!

10-25-2004 20:53:36 | More by Beersignal
Cwrw

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

I could scarcely wait to try this, after sampling what else Yukon Brewing offered. Though not an avid coffee drinker, I do enjoy a finely roasted cup now and again.

This poured with that glorious shimmering, wavy, draught appearance, as if the bottle had a widget. Impressive: it pours as if on tap. Stunning appearance for a bottled stout. Brown sugar head, sometimes darker, very sticky, with much lacing, and nice film that stays. The head also foams and churns healthily like something living: I actually found myself staring at the foam just watching for a couple minutes. Rich heavy blacks, with deep brown and red in there somewhere too. For looks, this is way up there with the absolute best of stouts. The aroma is definitely the strongest coffee smell yet in a beer I have tried. Rich, grainy, creamy vanilla, smoky, roasted, "warm" somehow, dry, and very unique. Raisins, slight sour smells, salt, baker's chocolate, creamy coffee, dare I say it: tar-like smells, leathery. Overall a very wintry warming aroma; unfortunately I am drinking it in the heat of summer. Coffee drinkers will love this. The taste fulfils the aroma, giving flavours of dark chocolate, raisins, mollasses, dark roast, tobacco. Very dry on the finish, sweet up front, coffee in the middle. Full-bodied, needless to say. The mouthfeel is adequately carbonated, tingling nicely on the tongue, but leaving slightly sour sensations after 1 or 2 glasses. For coffee drinkers, beer drinkers, or coffee/beer drinkers, this a real treat. I had my doubts, but they managed to combine the two smoothly and artfully. 3 cheers! An exceptional after-dinner drink, perfect with chocolate cake. Also paired brilliantly with Quebec brie, though the mild brie is lost beneath the heavy malting a little.

This Yukon Brewing Company never ceases to amaze. Just what kind of alchemy are we dealing with here? By far one the best far-north breweries. And another great name for a beer.

06-20-2004 08:05:57 | More by Cwrw
Garin

2.42/5  rDev -37%

It poured a wonderful deep black, such a black I haven't seen since Shakespeare Stout... On top is a creamy foamy dense head that leaves nice clingy lace on my glass. Talk about a great start.

On the nose I find coffee, almost more like stale coffee grounds than fresh espresso. Underneath is an ashy charcoal aroma.

The flavour begins with a hit of sharp and bright coffee -- quite thin actually. It fills out with a black malt acidity and bite. The flavour is entirely in the front half of the mouth, it's quite frustrating. I just wish it would round itself out but it doesn't.

The mouthfeel is quite light and thin as well. Interesting. I really wasn't expecting it to feel like this, but here it is.

Overall, it definitely has the feel of stale coffee to me. It's unfortunate, I was hoping for much more, but I don't really find this to be a satisfying stout at all. Ah well. At least I get the cool bottle.

06-12-2004 05:58:23 | More by Garin
Sammy

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

A good-looking smooth and sweet 1 litre stout. Good session ale. Only criticism: not a lot of different tastes and a bit aggressive on carbonation. Wonderful milky capuccino expresso flavour like a top expresso. And nuts! Little beer taste.

Thanks IronDjinn. Pootz brought a jug and it did it again for me, in March 2005 and was fresh and more approproate carbonation.

05-28-2004 04:22:16 | More by Sammy
pootz

4.8/5  rDev +25%

Purchased in the 1 liter bottle with ceramic stopper/wire bail. Poured an impressive deep dark opaque cola color that defies light to pass through the glass. Rich tan cap that lasts. Aromas of sweet malts, cocoa, fresh cappuccino and spices. Starts a bit thin and sweet then builds to an oily mouth feel where the hop bitters and chunky cocoa-coffee tastes overpower the sweet malts. The finish is glorious....dry with lingering coffee/chocolate-dry after taste...then the warming feel of the 6.2%ABV...a wonderful stout...and I like stouts. I want to get this one and keep it cellared for cold winter nights.

05-07-2004 16:03:34 | More by pootz
IronDjinn

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

I'm not and never have been a coffee drinker, but this was far too tempting to pass up, considering I enjoy what Yukon Brewing puts out. If I'm not mistaken I think Red Hook made a coffee stout with Starbuck's way back in the mid-90's, before Starbuck's became the global giant it is and back when Red Hook was actually still quite good. Yet in the present case it's nice to see two small quality local companies teaming up to make a new offering for these parts.

This Midnight Sun Espresso Stout comes in a brown 1 L flip top bottle, yellow-orange label with the Midnight Sun Coffee Roasters logo on it. (BA fun fact: check out gueuzegeek's profile, she has a part of their logo as her avatar). The stout pours out the blackest of black, permeable sunlight need not apply for this gig. Big creamy tan head, but the retention doesn't last very long. Leaves a dime's width of a cap on top most of the way down though, and a thick layer of lacing.

Roasted malt with a big whopping of coffee upfront on the nose, plus I'm picking up a bit of lactose sweetness as well. The flavour is all big roasted malt and coffee, some burnt wood bitterness in the middle, but rounded out nicely by the sweetness that the lactose has to offer. Seems to me like a milk stout infused with coffee, a very nice blend indeed, the espresso presence is smooth and doesn't leave much of a bite at all. The mouthfeel isn't as full as the appearance would initially let on, but this is a real smooth easy-drinker for a stout, would make a very fine after-dinner session beer to share with company.

No sir, I'm not a coffee drinker at all, but I am thoroughly enjoying this. I'll definitely be stocking up on more when I get the chance, cheers to Yukon Brewing once again for staying outside the box (oh how I hate corporate lingo), and making fine use of the resources around them, this is a great collaboration. And many thanks to lipschitz for tipping me off about this stuff, which spurred an impromptu visit to Edmonton mere days later to pick some up.

05-02-2004 20:25:48 | More by IronDjinn
lipschitz

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well this definitely caught my eye in its 1 litre swing-top bottle. I was also quite excited to see a new release from the Yukon Brewing Company. This beer pours with the onyx hue that you expect from the style, nicely topped off with a deep tan head, reaching upwards of 3 fingers.
The aroma is predominantly coffee and charred wood, which sets the stage for what is to come. The taste opens with a very brief flash of sweet-ish malt, which is quickly overtaken by roasted, almost smokey qualities. Burnt toast lingers, with a nice bitterness finishing things off.
Mouthfeel seems thinner than it should be at the beginning, but seems to gain body (and flavour) the further into the litre you go.
This is definitely the most adventurous offering from the Yukon Brewing Company so far. While it becomes a little one-dimensional as you reach the halfway mark, it’s a pretty enjoyable dimension - worth checking out.

04-12-2004 05:16:25 | More by lipschitz