Oatmeal Stout - Belle Isle Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Belle Isle Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  4.00% ABV

Brewed with oats, full bodied, roasted & slightly sweet, silky smooth.

(Beer added by: jmbranum on 04-04-2007)
ohyayitstrey

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

03-29-2014 22:06:16 | More by ohyayitstrey
Shasty

07-27-2012 17:10:00 | More by Shasty
jeranbrews

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Here goes number 5 of 5 for my Belle Isle reviews and it's the best for last.

A - Color is positive. Dark, rich, hard to see though. The way it should look. It's a dark coffee / cola color. There was strong pretty lacing.

S - Rich, smokey chocolatey. Sweet like cake frosting. Yeast smells were hard to find. Good but needs more complexity.

T - Coffee, powered sugar, roasted malts (and plenty of them). The flavors are sadly simple, but it's the best turnout from this brewer so far.

M - Sadly too thin. But otherwise pleasant. The beer slip-n'-slides down my throat like a birthday party 3rd grader.

D - Don't waste too much time on their other beers. This is the one to get a growler of and take home.

12-31-2009 14:11:47 | More by jeranbrews
mhaws000

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

A-Poured a dark caramel with very light tan head that quickly faded to almost nothing. Very clear with absolutely no haze at all.

S-Nice roasted coffee and dark chocolate notes mixed with a distinct floral aroma.

T-Really nice malt flavors up front. Coffee notes were the most prominent to me. These faded a bit too quickly and were replaced with a a hoppy bitterness that struck me as slightly above my ideal for this beer.

M-I think this is where this beer was lacking. it was very light bodied. I assume that as this beer is brewed in Oklahoma it must meet the 3.2 ABW restrictions and that might have been the issue. This beer felt like it was diluted. It didnt have the appropriate mouthfeel to satisfy my expectations of an oatmeal stout. It felt like I was drinking a Michelob Ultra version of an oatmeal stout.

D-Fair. This beer was not at all bad. I enjoyed things about it and I support any and all brewing being done in the state of Oklahoma. I think the 3.2 laws put a huge barrier in front of producing a variety of styles effectively and I think this is one brew that suffered from that. It just didn't come together wonderfully in my opinion. Good flavors were present but came through a bit muted and it was felt way to watery for me to love it but it was a respectible beer and i will happily try their other offerings.

07-03-2008 01:49:49 | More by mhaws000
jmbranum

3.96/5  rDev +4.5%

The numerical score above is from the most recent tasting.

Review of 11-8-2013:

Enjoyed from a pint glass (one gripe... it was poured missing an ounce or two)

Attractive clear mahogany brown liquid with tan head.

Glorious toasty aroma.

Flavor is interesting. I like it as a stout but I really don't pick up any oatmeal notes at all. None of the characteristic smooth creamyness to speak of. There is a fair bit of bitter coffee and cocoa. Lots of toastyness. Some bourbonish notes. Some odd notes that I can't pick out.

Mouthfeel is disappointing. Not at all an oatmeal stout. Not bad though.

Overall, I like this beer but think it is mislabeled. It would have had a better rating if it were labeled correctly (or else had enough oatmeal to actually make difference)

Review of 4-4-2007:

AP 5.0 AR 4.5 F 3.5 MF 4.5 OA 3.5

I had this on tap (in place of the Power Plant Porter they normally have on the dark end of the spectrum) today. It is an interesting beer.

My first taste of it was from a small glass in a beer sampler and I was blown away by it, very dry with lots of nice pleasant toasted malts and a super smooth mouthfeel.

My second taste of it was as a pint, and strangely enough I didn't like it as much. I'm not sure it was the colder temperature but the mouthfeel didn't quite feel as good to me and I thought the hops were too heavy for a stout. I did let it sit for awhile to warm up and it did improve but it still didn't match that initial taste.

Oh well... the beer is a dark brownish-black brew with an off tan head. Fluffy yet dense mouthfeel that is very true to style. The aroma is sensational --- bam! a mouthfull of roasted malts. The flavor was overall pretty potent but a bit too dry for my taste (at least compared to other Oatmeal stouts).

Anyway I definitely recommend this beer, warts and all. It is definitely one of the more interesting Oklahoma beers.

04-04-2007 20:16:23 | More by jmbranum
Oatmeal Stout from Belle Isle Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.