Choctoberfest - Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: EagleTalon on 10-22-2005

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a dark orange, hazy from being unfiltered. Has a large tan head. Smells earthy. Taste is quite smooth, almost has a lemony, citrus like taste. A bit tart and metallic too. Almost has an ale like quality. Very unique for a lager. Good mouthfeel, carbonation is good. Quite drinkable too, I could drink several of these. Bonus points for being bottle conditioned. I don't think I've had a bottle conditioned lager before so this is pretty cool. (448 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Thin head that disappeared before I could discern the color. No lacing at all. Reddish brown, hazy body.

S: Aroma was mostly caramel malt w/ some yeast present.

T: Heavy caramel taste, but a bit grainy. Had enough hops to keep it in balance. I had this a few days earlier on tap (in a cup though) & the malt was complemented by a strong ripe dark fruit flavor - but this was not the case with the bottle.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation - but it caused a lively tingling sensation as if it here more heavily carbonated. Also had an odd tasting (can't place it) dry finish.

D: Overall not bad - I didn't expect much so I was very pleasantly surprised. Would make a fine session beer. (732 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy orangish copper with a thin head.

The smell is of caramel. A touch of vinegar. A touch of earthiness.

The taste is of caramel sweetness with some earthy hops. A touch of vinegar makes me wonder about the freshness of this sample...But, no freshness date is to be found.

It has a decent, medium body. Smooth.

Easy enough to drink. Would like to try in the fall and re-rate.

Thanks to beertracker, who I'd like to do another trade with in the fall, as I'd like to try this again when it's fresh as it has something to it... (547 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Large creamy head head on a hazy brownish-amber beer.

Nice, rich aroma.

Flavor is pretty malty with just a hint of malt and caramel. Nice finish. Surprising hop bite.

On the negative side, I think this need more malty-caramel-maple notes.

Not a bad beer, but it is merely average compared to other Octoberfest beers. (328 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

This is another good brew from Pete's Place and I really can’t decide if I like choc or chocotoberfest more. This beer has a very good amber/brown hazy appearance (since its unfiltered).The very large foamy head that leaves a good amount of lacing. I loved the texture of the head. The beer has a nice malty flavor which is followed by a nice touch of hops. Overall a very tasty brew. (385 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance : Pours a hazy golden color with a modest head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Caramel malt aroma, rather nice

Taste: Starts with caramel up front but the finish is hoppy and a bit grainy

Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not bad at all but I would prefer a less grainy finish

Thanks, beerhandy, for the opportunity (368 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

My first review.

A - nice amber with a 1 cm tan head when properly poured, dissapated
within seconds, and slighlty hazy.

S - i have a difficult time describing smell... i smell, grain and alcohol.
doesn't sound all that appealing, but it smelled good... i looked
forward to my first sip.

T - just sweet enough to balance the hops, nice "warm" toasty notes...
just a hint of something spicy and bitter when it gets to the back of my palate. much fuller flavor than the regular choc by my taste...

M - one reviewer mentioned there being little carbonation... the bottle I
i would not want to be any more carbonated. I thought it was
perfect. light-medium body with "warm" mouthfeel.

D - I plan on buying a few more! (744 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

Mostly I think this beer has suffered in the bottle some. It has low carbonation and that really effects the rest of the perception of this beer. So I only punished it in the mouthfeel as it still smells really good. Like sweet wort with a mince of german hops and a light touch of alcohol. The taste is how I prefer my Octoberfest beers, a little on the sweet side full of caramel and toasty flavors. Good stuff I think it would be better on tap. (447 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from beerhandy as part of BIF 24. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" light tan head above the clear orangey amber brew. Head fades quickly down to an even layer of bubbles, with average lacing. Aroma is balanced, with a tending towards grain hulls. Taste follows the nose, but with a bit more tart fruitiness in the middle as I would want/expect. Closes slightly chalky. Mouthfeel and drinkability not too bad, but this one kind of let me down in the end. (513 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours to a clear light amber color (if you pour carefullly off the sediment) and permanent white head. Aroma is malty and a bit sharp (is there wheat in there?) with caramel notes. Flavor is semi-dry and malt oriented, with no discernable hop character other than balacing bitterness. Finishes dry and malty. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and fizzy. This is a bottle-conditioned malt-oriented amber lager with a distinctive original "choc-beer" personality. Not an extraordinary beer, but a solid citizen nonetheless. (511 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last