1919 - Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

good

Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TYE on 02-21-2008)
Reviews by scottblaze:

This beer is a little unknown outside Oklahoma but I predict it will see wider spread distribution before too long. Some things have changed since it was added to BA. They no longer call the brewery Pete's Place, which is also a restaurant. They now call it Krebs Brewing Company probably an effort to skate around some restrictive Oklahoma law. Still the same ownership as far as I know.

Though BA shows the ABV "not listed", I found out from the brewery it to be 5%. Also BA shows this to a "Dark Wheat Ale", I'm not sure about the dark part..seems light to me, a lot like a hefe. Bottle conditioned, a lot of sediment.

Speaking of hefe, that pretty much describes the appearance, unfiltered cloudy, hazy, head disappeared quickly. Nice citrusy, yeasty, malty aroma but unlike many hefe's there is no banana or bubble gum going on, probably because of a different yeast. Same goes for taste, pretty much like a hefe but with a bite...not a bad bite, actually a good one but with no banana and it is a bit maltier than your typical hefe. Good, mouthfeel and drikability.

Sorry for all the hefe comparisons but that is what this reminded of except with some tweaks, such as the hoppy bite and maltier flavors.

Would I buy this again? You bet.

Edit: I had one sixer left after a case I bought 4 or 5 months ago and decided to cool it off and use it up. Something I noticed that I didn't pick up on the first time around is clove. I don't know if 4 or 5 months aging brought it to the forefront or I just didn't get it the first time.

scottblaze, Sep 21, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

mojohawk21, May 24, 2014
3.66/5  rDev +8.9%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #64 (May 2012):

LOOK: Hazed yellow straw hue, big fluffy white head

SMELL: Bready, lemony twang, dusty yeast, vegetal, vague spice

TASTE: Light smoothness, pale malt, bready, faint twang, yeast, clean, modest hop bitterness, semidry finish

It is what it is—a no-frills beer style, and Choc Beer Co. does well here by creating just that. Balanced and easy to drink, they could have followed another path to set it apart from the rest; extra hopping perhaps would have livened it up.

BeerAdvocate, Jun 29, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours into the glass a slightly hazy straw yellow with a quarter inch of light bubbles on the top. A few yeasties made their way in with the pour and it's nice to see this is unfiltered. Aromas start out with crisp wheat malt and a slight lemon zest as well. Grainy and a bit earthy with just a touch of hops in the background. Not much for the olfactory system to pick up on here.

First sip brings crisp pale malt upfront with some wheat husk. Lemon zest and light fruit flavors mix in. Flows down with just a kiss of hops and a touch of bitterness. Pale grains linger on the palate. Crisp and clean but just kind of boring overall.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and a bit spritzy with fast moving carbonation. Even a bit over carbonated for me personally. Goes down smooth and clean but without much flavor. There are too many other more flavorful easy drinking brews that I don't see myself ever seeking this one out again. Thanks to kmpitz2 for the opportunity!

orbitalr0x, Jun 05, 2009

The beer pours a very light clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is full of grain and grass with not too much else going on. The flavor is also pretty basic. There is a lot of malt sweetness and a strong grain and grass character. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not much going on here and not something to seek out.

Mora2000, May 28, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a light orange body with a touch of hazy and sea of microbubbles supporting a thin white ring of foam.

S- The light hint of bread crust is almost caramel in character with a green herbal hint in the finish but overall very clean.

T- There is a soft cider note to the faint whole wheat bread crust that finishes with just a touch of sweetness and a green herbal candy flavor lingers for a moment after each sip. As the beer opens it takes on a watery taste.

M- The slight slippery texture on the tongue is scrubbed by the big fizz and that cuts the sweetness and the soft flavor aswell.

O- This is a very mild flavor beer that is clean but not much character. There were some slight stale qualities to the bready flavor but they were hard to pull out for sure.

rhoadsrage, Jul 03, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to russpowell for the extra.

12oz. can poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a cloudy rusty tinted orange. 2 fingers worth of white head forms with large some what fizzy buddles and holds for a minute or so before settling to a 1/4 inch skim. Some lacing.

S: Fairly balanced malt aroma and wheat. Some fruity esters but nothing specific really pops out. Some sweetness and richness, maybe toffee. Maybe some diacetyl but it could just be the toffee.

T/M: Wheat is much more present in the taste and lends a touch of tartness. More of the muddled fruity esters and toffee. Body is medium with pretty good carbonation. Finishes rather dry.

D: A pretty straight forward beer without much flair. Drinks pretty easy but I couldn't see myself reaching for this over other wheat beers.

pwoods, Apr 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Drank straight from a can during a float trip on the White River.

Picked this up in Arkansas as I needed some craft-in-a-can for water sporting. Pop it in a foam can cozy and you're good to go.

I got a pretty good look at the color of the beer when I spilled a little in the bottom of the canoe. It came off as a light yellow against the beige of the fiberglass, adorned with flecks of pure white foam. Didn't notice any of the clove or banana notes indicative of a wheat beer in the nose, but it was in the can at the time, so...

Definitely a solid drinker, with a nice bready flavor and a light bite from the hops in the finish. Could (and did) drink these suckers all day.

LucienDeRubempre, Jul 26, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Small white head quickly dies into a pretty decent lacing above a murky yellow ocher to rusty tan colored beer.

A very light citrus almost soapy citrus hops with a light grain background aroma.

Bland milky grain with some light cooking spices kick to it taste.

A light milky aftertaste that borders on being dry.

Pretty weird and different for a beer, reminds me more of Yoo-hoo style drink, sorry but I'll stick to beer for the time being.

LXIXME, Aug 27, 2011

Jach, Jun 18, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -27.1%

As an Okie I should support this brew. Good people that make and seel it, but it is a lawnmower beer at best.

Poured a light strawberry blonde.
Smelled of a very light wheat yeast and hidden hops.
Tasted with a decent mouthfeel. Once past that I didn't know what was going on. Light everywhere, in the hops, malt. Just an understated beer. I do drink this beer, to support the cause, but I think this brewery can do much better things.

alemakesmestrong, May 12, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

A new, or newly discovered, brewery! That's the reason why I got this beer. The only reservations I have about it are that the brewer is from Oklahoma. I've not drank a good beer from Oklahoma. Actually, I don't think I've ever had an Oklahoman beer until this Choc 1919. So, let's see if this beer represents Texas' northern bordered neighbor well!

The 1919 is bottle-conditioned and so it has some yeast sediment in it...but by "some" I mean an insane amount. I've only come across this amount of sediment in 750 mL bottles of bottle-conditioned Belgian ales. So, when you pour this beer out you need to make sure you pour about half of it out, swirl the rest of the beer to stir up the sediment, and then pour the rest out (and I still didn't get it all!!!). I actually had to swirl a couple of times to get it all. Poured into a hefeweizen glass, 1919 looks exactly like pineapple juice. The head is white and very bubbly. Other than looking like pineapple juice, 1919 looks like...chalky pale gold...if that makes sense. I'm a sucker for pouring out all of the sediment so the appearance of the beer differs depending on how much you pour in. I can still see clumped sediment floating around and much of the clumped, heavier sediment has settled on the bottom.

1919 tastes very much like a regular wheat beer...but it lacks the usual or expected flavors other than the wheat breadiness like banana or cloves. There is some lemon-citrus tang, however. It has a light-medium body to it that has a sort of creamy feel to it, and I'm sure the more yeast sediment that is added the creamier it gets. Overall I'm not too impressed by the beer. It's very drinkable, even with the excess in sediment, but there isn't anything that's too flavorful, as in overly enjoyable. It's not a bad tasting beer but it's not something I'm finding very appetizing. I'm not the biggest wheat beer fan though. Still, this is a decent beer that is easy to drink.

BeardedRiker, Feb 24, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Choc pours a cloudy orange body beneath a full head of bright-white froth. The head slowly receeds but leaves no lacing about the glass. The nose is wheatish and lightly fruity (mainly apples, but there's also some very background graprefruit). It's effervescent in the mouth before warming to become airy. The flavor is fuller than the nose suggests, and there's more fruit present (apple cider), and some soft toffee as well. It finishes drying, with some lingering wheaty and subtly caramelish malt, and some more apple-like fruitiness. It's interesting, crisp, refreshing, and sweetish but not sweet!

NeroFiddled, May 11, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Into a pint glass. Has a thin (almost no head) with a hazy light straw colored body.
Smell of honey and the tiniest bit of lemon.
Strong, dry lemon taste. A bit chalky. Out of balance.
Moderate carbonation with a fizzy and crisp texture.
Meh, not a fan.

Fatehunter, Nov 10, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a chill-hazed apricot with 3 fingers of beige head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Phenols & orchard fruit

T: Green apples, lemons & some dryness up front. A bit of a dirty phenol taste as this warms, along with hints of boozey grainyness with a touch of dry cider. Finishes with some breadyness & a bit of coarseness, has some real hefe-like quality to it

MF: Light/medium bodied with fairly assertive carbonation

Drinks alright, these are flavors that aren't in my wheel house, but cuts the thirst fairly easy. I'm guessing this will go down easy once it gets hot. This is a taste of history here, so that makes it cool in its own right

russpowell, Mar 31, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Murky, brown in hue with gold influences. To say this beer is unfiltered is an understatement. If it weren’t so cloudy it would probably look like a standard American Wheat. The head was white in color, two fingers in height; head retention was fair, the foam slipped to a fizzy cap. This cap lasted the entire consumption and there was no subsequent lacing. The appearance is rustic. The nose has a sharp grainy tang, kind of like rye but I’m sure it is just wheat. Toasty malt. Nuts (walnuts it seems). Yeasty, as expected, I mean look at the class! The nose is simple but likable; there is nothing special about it per se. Fairly strong potency makes the various aromas easily to detect. Intriguing. The palate has a lot going on. For an American Wheat it offers plenty of flavors, unfortunately they are a bit all over the place. I like the toasted malts. I like the citrus from the Cascade hops. I like the wheaty zip. I like the nuttiness. I’m not sure if it all works that great together. “Great” is the key word here as this is a good beer. I like it but it could be put together a little better. It is unique; I’ll give them that. Thin and empty at the finish, it could use more wheat here; I’d like something to savor. Medium-light in body with very lively carbonation, it could be turned down some, the mouthfeel is decent. On the whole this beer has plenty of charm and that says nothing about its rich history. Think of this beer as an American Wheat with a twist. Is it better than Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat? Maybe, maybe not… it is very different. I don’t think it is far to compare the two (so why did I try? Anyway…). I’m sure this beer would work well in the fall, tailgating in 50-degree weather. I can see it now. Good stuff. Thank you Bdc, this beer has been on my radar for over a year and I couldn’t get my hands on it. So thanks for the bottles, I’m enjoying them. Worth a try, IMO.

bditty187, Dec 17, 2004
3.63/5  rDev +8%

Cloudy, brownish golden in color. Good off-white head.
Aroma is faint, but good. Wheat and toasty malt. Hint of lemon. Unfiltered and bottle-conditioned, but I didn’t pick up much in the way of yeast.

Taste is also good, but a bit bland. Smooth. Wheat tartness and hops provide some crispness. Hint of lemon. Nice balance between sweet and bitter. Again, I didn’t pick up much as far as yeast flavors. This would make a great beer on a hot summer day.

Lots of carbonation to the mouthfeel. Being unfiltered and bottle-conditioned probably saves the mouthfeel from being thin.
Very easy-going and drinkable with enough flavor to keep me interested.

Overall, this is a solid American-style hefeweizen I quite enjoyed. The history behind the beer and restaurant is an interesting read as well.
Big thank you to stegmakk for the bottle!

PhantomVodoo, Feb 20, 2004

TheMrFarnham, Jul 09, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Presentation: Had on tap at Hopjacks recently. Described by the server as an unfiltered wheat and listed as 6% ABV.

Appearance: Arrives in a Shaker pint with 1.5 fingers of pure white head. This settles slowly leaving behind near complete lacing coverage. The beer itself is a cloudy, chalky yellow.

Smell: Lemony with an almost soapy backdrop. But not in a bad way.

Taste: Distinct citrus upfront. In the first split second, tastes almost like the soda Squirt. Lingering wheat twang.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation, as would seem appropriate for a wheat. Good body.

Drinkability: Very refreshing.

beveritt, Jun 19, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Enjoyed this one at Twin Peaks in Greenville, SC while enjoying the sights if you catch my drift. Served from tap into a Twin Peaks tall mug. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, earth, and earth hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, earth, earth hop, and subtle citrus. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. I can see what they were trying to do with this brew, but it just seemed to fall short in my opinion. There were a lot of things going on in this one that if they would have been a little more balanced. This would have stepped up the enjoyable aspects of this one quite a bit. Doubt I would have this one again given the option, but at least the view was nice while having this one.

thagr81us, Dec 31, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +11%

12 oz stubbie with an engaging story about the brewery. Makes you want to like the stuff as it pours. A nice enough sight in my UFO glass. Murky golden with a moderate head. Spotty bits of lace. A decent amount of carbonation activity that refreshes the thin cap on top of my glass.

Smell is lemon, light banana, and clove

Taste is clean wheat sharpness, with the lemon, banana, and clove from the nose. The depth increases as it warms up, becoming more German in it's taste. Malt is light but present and supportive. Finish is dry with a mild and quenching hop bitterness

Drinkability is a strong suit as I would find it easy to enjoy several of these while snacking or munching on sports food in front of the tube.

Thanks to Wolfman for this one.
From tasting notes dated 3/14/18

scootny, Nov 11, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

If you are in Oklahoma, try this beer. I will have to admit that it's history (this was made as far back as Prohibition) is richer than the beer itself. The beer is not bad, but it is not anything particularly remarkable either. It has a nice permanent head that you'd expect from a wheat beer, a cloudy orange color and loads of carbonation. The flavor is fairly typical for the style and it finishes dry. I hear that this is a modernized version of the original indigenous Choctaw indian brew that Pete, the founder of the restaurant, began brewing for the local miners way back when. The growlers and glasses make nice souvenirs. If you are ever in eastern Oklahoma, I recommend a trip to Krebs for the Pete's experience.

EagleTalon, Jul 25, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

hellraisinT1000, Jul 10, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours orange in color with a white foam head that dissipates quickly to a light covering. Cloudy with very little to no lacing.
S - Smells of oranges, bread, and grain.
T - Yeasty bread flavor with an orange/citrus glaze. Also a little grassy.
M - Medium carbonation and close to medium body. Slight bite on back of tongue.
D - A nice clean tasting beer. Good for "normal" beer drinkers to transition to. It has a flavor that could be enjoyed by most.

TYE, Feb 21, 2008