1919 - Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: TYE on 02-21-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 1919 Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +33.4%

Had on tap at the Mercury Lounge in Tulsa. I have no idea why 1919 and Choc are listed as seperate beers. I always thought they were the same thing. Anyway, pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a small, fizzy white head. Not much lacing, but a little.

Smells of mouth-puckering sour lemons, funk, orange zest, and wheat.

Light on the palate. A funky lemon flavor hits pulling lighter sour citrus and wheats notes in tow.

Being a former Oklahoma resident this one holds a special place in my heart. By far my favorite session beer and what I always reach for when I'm in town visiting the family.

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

4.22/5  rDev +26%

This is my go to lake/river beer. However, I have heard that cans will no longer be available. Shame.

Appearance is probably really nice. Sorry, but I drank them straight from the can.

Smell is a nice wheaty, yeasty, apricoty, bready little number.

Taste is superb. I like my wheat without a lot of spice and this one really delivers. Easy to drink in quantity or just for enjoyment.

I really really like this one.

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

CAN?!? You bet! I had never even heard of this beer until I began casting a wide net in support of my CANQuest. I would thank my trader, but many have discontinued this practice so as not to inundate others with unsolicited requests. Suffice to say, it was a worthy trade.

From the CAN: "choc [very e. e. cummings lower-case like] beer was named after its place of origin, the Choctaw Nation. The Choctaw people brewed a homemade beer & taught the Italian immigrants, who came to work in the coal mines, how to make the home brew. Pete Prichard was one of those immigrants. He came to the U. S. in 1903 & began to work in the coal mines at age eleven. At twenty-one years of age, he was nearly killed in a mine accident. After the accident, Pete Prichard began making & selling choc beer [yes, lower case], along with sausages & cheese in his home in Krebs [OK]. A prosperous business developed & in 1925, Pete formally opened a "restaurant" in his home. Pete's Place Restaurant served choc beer until 1932 when Pete was arrested for the brew.

In 1964, Bill Prichard, the son of the original owner, developed a "gentleman's agreement" with the powers that be about the illegal choc beer ... until a statewide newspaper ran a front page, headline story about the "agreement". That was the end of choc beer at Pete's until Joe Prichard, Bill's son who now wears the chef's hat & has the choc beer recipe, reintroduced choc beer as a "legal" brew in 1995." Phew - ed.

The CAN even identifies it as "Legal"! Har! Good thing, 'cuase the Feebs are watching me like a hawk these days. It's tough being a self-described, unapologetic anarchist. Onward.

I will start with the two fingers' of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention, but it was the color that really struck me. It poured a VERY murky orangish-yellow, almost like a witbier, which caused me to look at the style.

Duh, Woodbo. Still, I have become so accustomed to filtered, clarified beer that I have apparently forgotten my unfiltered roots. Filtration is overrated, I once typed, and I still believe that. It is just that so many CANned beers are filtered, pasteurized macros that I lost my way.

Nose had a sharp, slightly sweet smell that a wheat beer should have. I attended SPTR's Drink Your Wheaties Day back in late August and gained an appreciation for the style. The mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of bubbly effervescence scrubbing those tired taste buds awake at 0815 on a Sunday.

Yeah, yeah, I'm drinking early, but as I always reminded my chastising mother, you CAN't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

The taste was slightly fruity, bubble gum like, but with an offsetting slight sourness which is the beauty of brewing with wheat. It gives beer some really interesting qualities while generally keeping the ABV reasonable. This had both the yin and the yang in it. The finish was dry, a real find for summer. I will give it a high mark for seasonal drinkability. On the porch, in a rocking chair on a hot, humid summer's day? Hell, yeah! In front of a fireplace, watching the snow fall on yon rocker? Not so much.

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Thanks to wolffman17 for the opportunity to try this one. Served in my Oberon weizen glass, no freshness dating on bottle. Poured a hazy, opaque straw-gold color. Luscious cloud-like head took up half the glass. Good head retention, but only small specks of lacing trailing down the glass during the session. Scent of wheat, not much else; very clean and uncomplicated. Taste consistent with nose; perhaps a little more grassy in flavor with some citrus qualities in the background (lemon zest). Pleasant mouthfeel - refreshing without being watery with a hint of carbonation and a light tingle at the back of the tongue and palate. Highly drinkable brew just in time for the summer. This brew went down quite easy and really hit the spot after mowing the lawn.

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Unfiltered, nice white bubbly head, seems to linger. nice amount of fine bubbles, pale lemony color with a white tinge.

Smells of herbal hops, like wild grasses in a prarie, and some grain.

Great wheat taste with some lemon, i'm glad the zest isn't overpowering, it's a great balance. there is a nice wheat overtone, and maybe a slight hop bittering in the end.

Very drinkable, this is a tasty beer that went well on a warm night.

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

The flagship. Supposedly a weirdass, minimally hopped American wheat. Before reviewing, lemme say that I love how American wheats have evolved just in the past several years, how the wheat is like a blank canvas and it's absolutely acceptable to paint whatever you want upon that canvas. I'm not going to turn that into a metaphor for America, but someone probably could.

This smells like honey, barley, and wheat. Nothing intense or impressive.

Tastes like honey, barley, wheat, and a hint of an odd, generic fruitiness the likes of which I cannot wrap my head around. It--if it were more aggressive or pronounced, I could describe it better. But this is immediately, recognizably new *and* understated. That runs counter to whole the world works, these days. It tastes sour and fruity and weird, and I like it.

This beer is a little unknown outside Oklahoma but I predict it will see wider spread distribution before too long. Some things have changed since it was added to BA. They no longer call the brewery Pete's Place, which is also a restaurant. They now call it Krebs Brewing Company probably an effort to skate around some restrictive Oklahoma law. Still the same ownership as far as I know.

Though BA shows the ABV "not listed", I found out from the brewery it to be 5%. Also BA shows this to a "Dark Wheat Ale", I'm not sure about the dark part..seems light to me, a lot like a hefe. Bottle conditioned, a lot of sediment.

Speaking of hefe, that pretty much describes the appearance, unfiltered cloudy, hazy, head disappeared quickly. Nice citrusy, yeasty, malty aroma but unlike many hefe's there is no banana or bubble gum going on, probably because of a different yeast. Same goes for taste, pretty much like a hefe but with a bite...not a bad bite, actually a good one but with no banana and it is a bit maltier than your typical hefe. Good, mouthfeel and drikability.

Sorry for all the hefe comparisons but that is what this reminded of except with some tweaks, such as the hoppy bite and maltier flavors.

Would I buy this again? You bet.

Edit: I had one sixer left after a case I bought 4 or 5 months ago and decided to cool it off and use it up. Something I noticed that I didn't pick up on the first time around is clove. I don't know if 4 or 5 months aging brought it to the forefront or I just didn't get it the first time.

3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into Boston Lager glass...

A: after swirling the last 1/3 of beer in the bottle, it pours a murky light brown, similar to a mud puddle. head is 1 finger and has good retention

S: nice aroma of wheat, powdered sugar, and lemon zest

T: a full palate of wheaty goodness, caramel malt sweetness, then becomes slightly fruity before a clean finish with a hint of hop bitterness

M: medium full body that is creamy upfront that goes down smooth with a chalky dry finish, although i feel it is appropriate for this style.

Overall, alot better than i had expected. not usually a fan of the american pale wheat ale, but this one is damn good. It is highly drinkable any time of year. I could drink this in fall and winter as it has a nice caramel sweetness throughout the beer. Only bought a single in a mix a sixer, but I will seek out a six pack

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Presentation: Had on tap at Hopjacks recently. Described by the server as an unfiltered wheat and listed as 6% ABV.

Appearance: Arrives in a Shaker pint with 1.5 fingers of pure white head. This settles slowly leaving behind near complete lacing coverage. The beer itself is a cloudy, chalky yellow.

Smell: Lemony with an almost soapy backdrop. But not in a bad way.

Taste: Distinct citrus upfront. In the first split second, tastes almost like the soda Squirt. Lingering wheat twang.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation, as would seem appropriate for a wheat. Good body.

Drinkability: Very refreshing.

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Acquired via trade from timbro81, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light and cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of faint but contains wheat, light malts, some citrus and a little hops.

T: The taste is nicely balanced with a decently strong wheat flavor up front and complimentary flavors of citrus, caramel and spice. There’s a decent hops presence for the style. The malt character is hearty. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a nice easy-drinking and flavorful beer that’s worth sticking with for long time.

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

This is darker than the usual American Wheat, but obviously not a dunkelweizen from the aroma and flavor. The body is a super cloudy clay mud brown (it was cloudy before I swirled up the yeast and dumped it in and downright soupy looking afterward). The khaki-tinged white head is generous and fluffy. The aroma is heavy on wheat with a interesting addition of toasted nuts (walnuts?) Over that there’s a lemony fruitiness and it smells like I’d expect from a tart beer, but there’s no follow-up of tartness or the slightest bit of sourness in the flavor. The flavor is aggressively wheaty with a bit of toasty malt. Very reminiscent of a lightly toasted slice of whole grain bread. The mouthfeel is slightly chalky or dusty but it’s got enough body to keep from being boring.

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Dark wheat? Are we sure? Great story on the label about how this beer was taught to Italian immigrants from the Choctaw Indians.
Aroma: A hop/yeast aroma that was somewhat acidic but enjoyable.
Appearance: Bright yellow with a good finger of large bubbled head that collapsed to a half finger of small bubbled head.
Flavor: Thin malt base with a strong malt presence. This has more Euro Lager style elements to it. I can get an Italian influence, somewhat like a Peroni Lager.
Mouthfeel: Light body with an airy feel to it. Very clean, somewhat dry.
Overall Impression: Enjoyable! A light beer with some macro flavors, but an enjoyable hop spike; an unusual beer from an unusual source. We should get more Okies to brew beer!
Thanks to assurbanipaul for the sample, which I believe came from bdc!

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

I really do enjoy this beer and tend to sway a little more toward the Choctober fest brew myself, the beer does have a bitey aftertaste to it, all in all this brewery has a pretty good reputation in this state that it stands up to. I do look forward to trying the other offerings Choc has to offer.

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Choc pours a cloudy orange body beneath a full head of bright-white froth. The head slowly receeds but leaves no lacing about the glass. The nose is wheatish and lightly fruity (mainly apples, but there's also some very background graprefruit). It's effervescent in the mouth before warming to become airy. The flavor is fuller than the nose suggests, and there's more fruit present (apple cider), and some soft toffee as well. It finishes drying, with some lingering wheaty and subtly caramelish malt, and some more apple-like fruitiness. It's interesting, crisp, refreshing, and sweetish but not sweet!

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Popping the top yields the classic earthy wheat beer smell with a hint of spice albumin if I'm not mistaken. The brew pours to a singapore sling-like deep yellow and orange. On the taste the brew is spicy like allspice at the start then very wheaty and sour in the middle. Finishing more sour yet hearty at the finish. The aftertaste is quite spicy almost like a meatpie then the bittterness is barely evident and fades out chalky yet lingering. A stout wheat brew in a great American style. This beer would go great with a big fat steak or a bowl of chili. Tasty indeed.

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Bought a six pack of cans from the brewery store. I have purchased bottles in the past and was curious to try it out of the can. I can say that I was very pleased with the can.

Poured into pint shaker a clear yellow with nice head. Swirled the bottom of the can to get the sediment and ended the pour with a nice hazy yellow color.

A nice American wheat flavor came through. Pleasant biscuit notes and a slight citrus finish. Very good. Also had a crisp carbonation. Overall this is a very good beer.

I also purchased an order of lamb fries at Pete's Place. They received mixed reviews from my family.

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours with a good head which is foamy and thick. Has a hazy gold/copper appearance. Nice lemony smell. Wonderful malt taste with hints of wheat which are a bit light compared to the norm. Very good beer. A very drinkable brew which is great for hot weather. Best Oklahoma brew in my opinion and beer that I think anyone would dig.Also enjoyed the history on the can.

1919 from Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place