2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

1919 - Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

19191919

good

Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TYE on 02-21-2008)
Ratings: 176 | Reviews: 123 | Show All Ratings:
GoNowhere

Arkansas

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

This is my go to lake/river beer. However, I have heard that cans will no longer be available. Shame.

Appearance is probably really nice. Sorry, but I drank them straight from the can.

Smell is a nice wheaty, yeasty, apricoty, bready little number.

Taste is superb. I like my wheat without a lot of spice and this one really delivers. Easy to drink in quantity or just for enjoyment.

I really really like this one.

03-28-2011 02:11:45 | More by GoNowhere
LucienDeRubempre

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Drank straight from a can during a float trip on the White River.

Picked this up in Arkansas as I needed some craft-in-a-can for water sporting. Pop it in a foam can cozy and you're good to go.

I got a pretty good look at the color of the beer when I spilled a little in the bottom of the canoe. It came off as a light yellow against the beige of the fiberglass, adorned with flecks of pure white foam. Didn't notice any of the clove or banana notes indicative of a wheat beer in the nose, but it was in the can at the time, so...

Definitely a solid drinker, with a nice bready flavor and a light bite from the hops in the finish. Could (and did) drink these suckers all day.

07-26-2010 02:47:50 | More by LucienDeRubempre
TMoney2591

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Big thanks to JJFoodie for this can o' OK goodness!

According to the can, this one's legal! Whew, that's a relief! It pours a cloudy pale straw with a head of white foam that dies down to an everlasting, though admittedly thin, layer. The nose comprises banana, bubblegum, clove, and a hint of nutmeg. The taste follows in lock step, adding some greens and a mild bitterness, though something of a watery quality is added as well, reducing the potency of the entire mixture. The body is pretty damn light, with a light carbonation and a watery feel. Though I may not be reaching for it in particular, I would definitely not turn one down if presented. A decent sessionable brew if I ever did see one.

06-18-2010 21:23:54 | More by TMoney2591
woodychandler

4.1/5  rDev +22%

CAN?!? You bet! I had never even heard of this beer until I began casting a wide net in support of my CANQuest. I would thank my trader, but many have discontinued this practice so as not to inundate others with unsolicited requests. Suffice to say, it was a worthy trade.

From the CAN: "choc [very e. e. cummings lower-case like] beer was named after its place of origin, the Choctaw Nation. The Choctaw people brewed a homemade beer & taught the Italian immigrants, who came to work in the coal mines, how to make the home brew. Pete Prichard was one of those immigrants. He came to the U. S. in 1903 & began to work in the coal mines at age eleven. At twenty-one years of age, he was nearly killed in a mine accident. After the accident, Pete Prichard began making & selling choc beer [yes, lower case], along with sausages & cheese in his home in Krebs [OK]. A prosperous business developed & in 1925, Pete formally opened a "restaurant" in his home. Pete's Place Restaurant served choc beer until 1932 when Pete was arrested for the brew.

In 1964, Bill Prichard, the son of the original owner, developed a "gentleman's agreement" with the powers that be about the illegal choc beer ... until a statewide newspaper ran a front page, headline story about the "agreement". That was the end of choc beer at Pete's until Joe Prichard, Bill's son who now wears the chef's hat & has the choc beer recipe, reintroduced choc beer as a "legal" brew in 1995." Phew - ed.

The CAN even identifies it as "Legal"! Har! Good thing, 'cuase the Feebs are watching me like a hawk these days. It's tough being a self-described, unapologetic anarchist. Onward.

I will start with the two fingers' of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention, but it was the color that really struck me. It poured a VERY murky orangish-yellow, almost like a witbier, which caused me to look at the style.

Duh, Woodbo. Still, I have become so accustomed to filtered, clarified beer that I have apparently forgotten my unfiltered roots. Filtration is overrated, I once typed, and I still believe that. It is just that so many CANned beers are filtered, pasteurized macros that I lost my way.

Nose had a sharp, slightly sweet smell that a wheat beer should have. I attended SPTR's Drink Your Wheaties Day back in late August and gained an appreciation for the style. The mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of bubbly effervescence scrubbing those tired taste buds awake at 0815 on a Sunday.

Yeah, yeah, I'm drinking early, but as I always reminded my chastising mother, you CAN't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

The taste was slightly fruity, bubble gum like, but with an offsetting slight sourness which is the beauty of brewing with wheat. It gives beer some really interesting qualities while generally keeping the ABV reasonable. This had both the yin and the yang in it. The finish was dry, a real find for summer. I will give it a high mark for seasonal drinkability. On the porch, in a rocking chair on a hot, humid summer's day? Hell, yeah! In front of a fireplace, watching the snow fall on yon rocker? Not so much.

11-22-2009 13:19:58 | More by woodychandler
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

I got this can in a trade with russpowell. Thanks Russ!

It pours from the 12oz can a cloudy straw yellow with a huge head of foam.

The smell is of wheat, earth, and lemon zest. Oh and there's some sweet notes.

The taste has notes of wheat, earth, some lemon zest, and a big batch of buttery notes. Not overpowering, thankfully, but it's there.

Light bodied with plenty of carbonation, it finishes lightly bitter with a musky flavour.

Drinkability? It has an interesting taste and is easy on the abv so I'd say it is pretty good.

Head retention turned out to be very good and the lacing isn't too shabby either.

06-11-2009 22:29:11 | More by Bitterbill
rye726

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a cloudy golden with a thin tan head. Nose has wheat malts, spices, citrus fruit and Belgian yeasts. Taste was a bit weaker. Mostly fruity wheat malts and spices. Light, refreshing body well carbonated. A good wheat beer that comes in a can. Perfect for outdoor activities.

05-16-2009 03:11:37 | More by rye726
pwoods

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to russpowell for the extra.

12oz. can poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a cloudy rusty tinted orange. 2 fingers worth of white head forms with large some what fizzy buddles and holds for a minute or so before settling to a 1/4 inch skim. Some lacing.

S: Fairly balanced malt aroma and wheat. Some fruity esters but nothing specific really pops out. Some sweetness and richness, maybe toffee. Maybe some diacetyl but it could just be the toffee.

T/M: Wheat is much more present in the taste and lends a touch of tartness. More of the muddled fruity esters and toffee. Body is medium with pretty good carbonation. Finishes rather dry.

D: A pretty straight forward beer without much flair. Drinks pretty easy but I couldn't see myself reaching for this over other wheat beers.

04-06-2009 01:26:36 | More by pwoods
russpowell

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a chill-hazed apricot with 3 fingers of beige head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Phenols & orchard fruit

T: Green apples, lemons & some dryness up front. A bit of a dirty phenol taste as this warms, along with hints of boozey grainyness with a touch of dry cider. Finishes with some breadyness & a bit of coarseness, has some real hefe-like quality to it

MF: Light/medium bodied with fairly assertive carbonation

Drinks alright, these are flavors that aren't in my wheel house, but cuts the thirst fairly easy. I'm guessing this will go down easy once it gets hot. This is a taste of history here, so that makes it cool in its own right

03-31-2009 02:07:41 | More by russpowell
ClockworkOrange

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to Deuane for tossing me a can of this OK beer. Poured from a can into my nonic pint glass. The can says it's legal, so here goes...Appears a cloudy (as always, I kicked up the yum-yums at the bottom of the can) golden yellow color akin to pineapple juice. The head is about a finger thick and off-white in color. Smells of wheat, cereal wheat and a slight fruitiness. Taste is initially sour turning slightly sweet with notes of mild apple. Thin bodied with medium carbonation. I'd like to revisit this one on a warm day.

02-04-2009 05:18:04 | More by ClockworkOrange
mikereaser

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a golden yellow leaving one inch foam that slowly dissipated. The smell malty, yeasty. The taste is a balance of slight wheat and citrus that makes this a very drinkable beer. I'm not sure if i would seek this out, although i've never said no to a beer. The story behind the beer is very fascinating and a fun read.

Overall, not bad but not my favorite.

10-17-2008 00:51:40 | More by mikereaser
stephens101

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Choc beer was illegal when I was a child, so it had that sort of cool aura things forbidden seem to take on. Choc was craft before craft was cool. I remember ring salesmen would take my dad out to Pete's and to the "Big Mac" prison rodeo, as he was the high school principal in our town. He would come home and talk about the illegal, what I thought was "chalk" beer at the time. I thought he was going to jail. Little did I know that half the politicians in Oklahoma were dining at Pete's and enjoying the brew all along. So that little part on the label about Choc beer not being brewed after 1964 until 1995 is not true (but they couldn't very well put that on the label) you just had to know people to get it served to you. That's the nice thing about Pete's, it has private rooms, so you could go there and enjoy good beer "back in the day", and nobody was the wiser.

Ok, enough of my personal history of Choc beer. These days Choc beer is perfectly legal (which is why it says "legal" on the can, and I can enjoy it in the comfort of my own home. Ain't life grand!

Into a hefe glass we get a hazy golden orange brew that results in a large white head that dies down quickly. A faint smattering of lace is left behind. Smells of spice and fruits. Tastes of apples, oranges and malts. Easy going down with ultimate drinkability. A good swirl results in a explosion of carbonation. Might not be as tasty as some of the German hefe's, but still an interesting brew that gets a few points for it's interesting history.

09-26-2008 21:09:20 | More by stephens101
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A 12oz can given to me by BeerTracker, who also shared with me the fascinating story of Pete's Place, the local brewer/restaurant that produces Choc Beer. The story is pretty interesting, and can be read on the side of the can, at http://chocbeer.com/ ... or by talking to Jeff !

Fuzzy mold like mounds of white head clump in places. A seemingly semi-conscious stream of bubbles drift about a soft haze. A yellow coloured body with golden overtoning.

The smell is something akin to what you'd find in a Belgian Pale Ale; a hard-working, full bodied yeast that presents notes of cloves, spice, and soft fruity esters. The wheat is strong too, boasting notes of straw and musty hay.

A loosely knit bitterness feels like it'll hit hard, but disappears entirely after the swallow. Aftertaste began almost non-existent, less a light malt presence, but that eventually changed to a lovely hop character once it warmed. The wheat is noticeably quiet, lending no texture or mouthfeel to the beer. Considerably quenching although carbonation is a just a touch too low for the style.

Flavours of corn, wheat, and malt are light. A hint of banana and clove. The yeast produces a soft effervescence that lends something floral and lightly citric. A good sprinkling of hops shot up after warming! Not overly tasty but it seems to be disappearing fast all the same...

This wasn't overly great, but it was somewhat interesting. Many aspects I outline in the review (carbonation, colour, yeast, etc) all had me see this as more of a Belgian abbey single than German weiss. Either way, I don't think it was meant to be anything in particular, except maybe a good beer. And it is. I'm happy to have tried this piece of Oklahoma history!

06-19-2008 01:15:58 | More by biegaman
ztprez

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Bought a six pack of cans from the brewery store. I have purchased bottles in the past and was curious to try it out of the can. I can say that I was very pleased with the can.

Poured into pint shaker a clear yellow with nice head. Swirled the bottom of the can to get the sediment and ended the pour with a nice hazy yellow color.

A nice American wheat flavor came through. Pleasant biscuit notes and a slight citrus finish. Very good. Also had a crisp carbonation. Overall this is a very good beer.

I also purchased an order of lamb fries at Pete's Place. They received mixed reviews from my family.

04-05-2008 13:39:44 | More by ztprez
boblog

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours with a good head which is foamy and thick. Has a hazy gold/copper appearance. Nice lemony smell. Wonderful malt taste with hints of wheat which are a bit light compared to the norm. Very good beer. A very drinkable brew which is great for hot weather. Best Oklahoma brew in my opinion and beer that I think anyone would dig.Also enjoyed the history on the can.

10-21-2006 20:17:36 | More by boblog
beerceller99

Louisiana

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a cloudy pale orange color with a 1" head which settles to an off white sheen. Smell is a subtle yeasty, black pepper and citrusy . Light bodied with good carbonation. Taste is a mildly tart wheat malt flavor sprinkled with black pepper. Has a refreshing citrusy tang to finish. Very drinkable on a hot summers day.
Serving type is a 12 oz. can, an aluminium can.

08-28-2005 20:43:13 | More by beerceller99
NeroFiddled

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Choc pours a cloudy orange body beneath a full head of bright-white froth. The head slowly receeds but leaves no lacing about the glass. The nose is wheatish and lightly fruity (mainly apples, but there's also some very background graprefruit). It's effervescent in the mouth before warming to become airy. The flavor is fuller than the nose suggests, and there's more fruit present (apple cider), and some soft toffee as well. It finishes drying, with some lingering wheaty and subtly caramelish malt, and some more apple-like fruitiness. It's interesting, crisp, refreshing, and sweetish but not sweet!

05-11-2005 21:27:00 | More by NeroFiddled
BeerAdvocate

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #64 (May 2012):

LOOK: Hazed yellow straw hue, big fluffy white head

SMELL: Bready, lemony twang, dusty yeast, vegetal, vague spice

TASTE: Light smoothness, pale malt, bready, faint twang, yeast, clean, modest hop bitterness, semidry finish

It is what it is—a no-frills beer style, and Choc Beer Co. does well here by creating just that. Balanced and easy to drink, they could have followed another path to set it apart from the rest; extra hopping perhaps would have livened it up.

06-29-2013 16:40:56 | More by BeerAdvocate
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Enjoyed this one at Twin Peaks in Greenville, SC while enjoying the sights if you catch my drift. Served from tap into a Twin Peaks tall mug. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, earth, and earth hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, earth, earth hop, and subtle citrus. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. I can see what they were trying to do with this brew, but it just seemed to fall short in my opinion. There were a lot of things going on in this one that if they would have been a little more balanced. This would have stepped up the enjoyable aspects of this one quite a bit. Doubt I would have this one again given the option, but at least the view was nice while having this one.

12-31-2012 13:11:47 | More by thagr81us
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Into a pint glass. Has a thin (almost no head) with a hazy light straw colored body.
Smell of honey and the tiniest bit of lemon.
Strong, dry lemon taste. A bit chalky. Out of balance.
Moderate carbonation with a fizzy and crisp texture.
Meh, not a fan.

11-10-2012 17:51:25 | More by Fatehunter
bump8628

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Can't believe I've never reviewed this one. It's never been my favorite American wheat but it's everywhere here in Okla and has an interesting history. Super grainy all the way through, like the dust produced when running barley through a mill. Hops are light and earthy which adds to the rustic flavor profile. Like I said, just so-so, but a notch or two above most domestic lagers if you find yourself at a bar/party in Oklahoma where this is an option.

08-22-2012 19:34:20 | More by bump8628
Mora2000

The beer pours a very light clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is full of grain and grass with not too much else going on. The flavor is also pretty basic. There is a lot of malt sweetness and a strong grain and grass character. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not much going on here and not something to seek out.

05-28-2012 21:24:17 | More by Mora2000
DelMontiac

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in an pint glass from a 12oz brown bottle.

Color is between gold and amber and is slightly hazed. This beer has never been much of a looker to me as it does not produce much of a head which disappears rapidly. No lace to speak of. I do like the color though.

Aromas are scant, but I'd say an apple/grape comes through without any problem. Some bottles present with a bubble gum smell, but it's inconsistent. The wheatberry whiff is there, but you may need to warm it up.

Flavors top the aroma score. Cracked wheat, apples, honey, and some lemon grass are detectable, but nothing is shaking the earth.

I do like the feel of 1919. A bit undercarbonated for a wheat, but this is not a German witbier copy either.

I've been drinking Choc brews for several years. Overall 1919 is an okay brew and highly drinkable if you want to drink several with friends. Don't expect massive mind blowing flavors here. This beer is brewed because it has history. It's part of the Choc story series which makes it interesting and once you know the story, you can appreciate the fact that this is not intended to be a typical wheat. It is it's own thing. If you're more interested in a somewhat traditional witbier, then check out Choc Waving Wheat which I prefer to 1919.

12-29-2011 01:09:36 | More by DelMontiac
corby112

2.8/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very cloudy, dark golden yellow color with banana hues and a thin white head that quickly fizzles away. Not much in the way of lacing.

Spicy aroma with some pepper and cloves countered by some bready yeast, citrus fruit and banana. There's a nice amount of lemon zest providing a nice counter to the spice and yeast notes.

Thin bodied and slightly watered down with soft carbonation and some zesty spice up front that lingers over the yeast and fruit notes into a slightly dry finish. Hints of pepper and clove up front countered mid-palate by a nice bready yeast presence followed by some lemon zest and faint banana.

Overall, this beer has all of the characteristics of the style but nothing stands out and it kind of bland.

11-20-2011 06:49:48 | More by corby112
bramsdell

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from bottle (bought off sale rack) into an Imp pint glass.

A: Looks like a golden wheat beer. Very little to no head. A bit of lacing, but nothing much.

S: Wheat and sweet. Maybe like a bit of wheat/apple juice. I'm digging deep on smells, and there is a bit of spiciness here.

T: Apple juice. Actually, it's like watered-down apple juice. Aftertaste is all wheat.

M: As non-existent as the flavor. It's very watery.

O: I can't say that it sucks because there isn't anything offensive. It's remarkably un-remarkable. There's nothing here. Sorry, Choc.

10-12-2011 01:30:24 | More by bramsdell
drabmuh

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer? Kind of gross.

Beer is yellow / amber with a mild haze and some head, minimal lacing, some carbonation. Looks like beer.

The aroma is grainy and wet. Eh.

Beer is super thin and really grainy with a harsh aftertaste, minimal yeast character, minimal hop contribution, rough.

10-02-2011 16:23:43 | More by drabmuh