Belgian-Style Amber - Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

good

Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Flanders Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Beertracker on 08-26-2008)
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.55/5  rDev -3%

Poured In: Snifter

Appearance: The pour is a bronze amber color with absolutely no head. The beer is slightly effervescent, and not much lace is showing up either.

Smell: Not what I was expecting. Lightly sweet malt with some lightly tart grapes, apples and cherries.

Taste: The taste is surprisingly tart, with a mixture of cherries and grapes showing up. The malt doesn't come in until later where some lightly sweetened brown malt makes its appearance. The finish is dry with some more fruity flavors lingering on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, and I'm going to throw my hat into the arena that this wasn't the carbonation level they were going for. The carbonation level was low even for me, and I prefer beers to be lighter on carbonation than heavy.

Drinkability: An interesting beer for sure, and it wasn't what I was expecting. I've found the Choc beers hard to drink to be honest, and this one included. The combination of the amber with the tart fruity flavors is an odd combination for me. If I had the opportunity I don't know that I'd crate this again.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a hazy amber with a thin head that dissapears quickly.

S - Tart cherries, apples, sparkling grape juice.

T - Apple cider, tart cherries, green apples. Quite sour actually. The fruit dominates and it's hard to pick out anything else. Yeast comes through faintly.

M - Light to medium, low carbonation.

This is a unique beer. It pretty far from a Belgian Pale Ale. It's almost more of a Lambic style. Not sure if that's what they were going for but for a sour it's great!
I wish that they would have geared this toward a "sour". It might have done better. I would have rated it higher. People who are expecting a BPA will be shocked.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

22 oz. bottle tried 3 Jul 2009.

Served in the 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Small light tan head. Almost flat, minimal carbonation. Clear iced tea color. Aroma is sweet-tart, cherry pits. Tastes of brown sugar and cherry pits. Slightly fruity-tart. Medium to light body. Moderate ethanol.

Not too complex but easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ!

Signature Belgian Style Amber. An interesting blend of 2 beers.

It pours a slightly hazy amber colour, 1 finger head of foam, and has some good lacing. A way above average looking brew.

The smell is fruity with a combo of both sweet and tartish fruits. I'm digging the tart side of things with green apples, the sweet part, I don't quite get. Caramel? A slight hint of cinnamon? Like I said, I don't get it but I'm not going to say it offends in any way.

The taste is definitely green apple sourness. Some sweetish notes in the background, maybe earthy malts? but their presence is very short lived because of the almost Lambic like sour.

I had *no* idea of what to expect from a beer that describes itself as a Belgian Amber on the label. I'm kind of shocked by how it is turning out on my palate. In some ways, I like, in others, not so much. Bloody weird.

Light bodied with light carbonation. I don't think I'd want a thicker body, given the taste.

Drinkability? It certainly is low in alcohol but I'm a bit stumped as to how I'm going to score it. It goes down easy enough but there's something about it that just doesn't seem right. I'll split the difference, I guess. A very thought provoking brew...

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Poured an amber color with a white head that fades fairly quickly

S - Surprisingly tart fruity nose of cherries and apples

T - Follows the nose with the tart cherries and apples plus some sweet malt and yeast

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This was a very enjoyable beer to me it has a very good taste the tartness worked very well with this beer I could have drank the whole bottle my self worth picking up if you find it in Oklahoma

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

Thank to armock for sharing this with me and other BA friends.

A: Pours a reddish amber color. A white head forms, but recedes to nothing in a second. No lace.
S: Sweet malt and fruit aromas up front. Apples and cherries that are lightly tart. Really interesting.
T: Sweet fruity flavors up front that are slightly tart. Pears, apples, and cherries. Light yeast. This is excellent.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp and dry. Smooth at the same time. Easy to drink. I could finish a bottle by myself with no problem.

An excellent beer. At first I was not sure that this was suppose to have a sour/tart flavor to it. Though others have noticed that same thing. This is very unique, and something I would highly recommend.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks again Greg, for sending this one along.
Bottle poured into a Chimay challis produced a short lived white head that faded away to nothing. The body was a wonderful ruby red in color.

I would have never guessed this was a sour by the bottle, now the aroma is a different story. It reminded me of a Flemish red with a ton of sour cherries and apples with a splash of wet horse. The brew is rather light in your mouth with light carbonation. The flavors mimic the nose tons of sour fruit cherries and apples.

It was a nice change for me I enjoyed the brew but one glass would be enough at a sitting just like most sours for me. Not a bad brew but not what I expected.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

I love a good Belgian Pale Ale and was exited to see pick up this beer.

A: Slightly hazy amber color. Minimal head that dies down to nothing shortly. Moderate carbonation.

S: Sour, green apples, cherries and other acidic fruits. Faint, fruity esters come about as well. No distinguishable hop aromas.

T: Fruity to sour to slightly bitter. I'm not a huge fans of sours, but this is nice. Subtle sour fruits with apples and cherries being most prominent. This mellows out to a nice fruitiness that complements the sour components. The beer finishes clean with a faint, floral hoppiness. Other than the sour fruits, not a ton going on.

M: Dry body and finishes clean. A slight sourness clings in the back of the throat.

D: A very interesting BPA. Definitely not my favorite, but nevertheless, quite interesting. I wasn't aware that this was a sour ale. It does note on the label that it is a blend of two different beers, but no suggestion that anhy of them were soured. I really haven't been able to jump into the realm of sours, but this beer is a nice gateway. It is worth a try for BPA lovers and sour fanatics at least. I may try it again, but would pair it with a nice, tart salad.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Poured into my shaker glass, the ale appears a clear amber color with about a finger of off white foam. Nose and flavor are of caramel malts, fruits such as cherries, apples, and pears, toasted bread, yeast. Medium bodied with decent carbonation levels. I'm looking forward to trying more from Pete's. A rather tasty low alcohol ale. Check it out if you can.

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Damn, wish i would known I haven't had the dubbel, I would've picked that up too...

Pours an effervescent orange/caramel with a pinky of fast falling sand colored head. Some head retention & lacing

S: Cherry sourness & dirt

T: Follows the nose, this baby is dominated by the yeast in use, tastes like licking a Popsicle stick. Dry apple cider dominates as this warms, plus more cherry stones, some oaky vanilla & much tartness, this would actually work better as a lambic-style kriek to me. Finishes tart, dry & a touch sour, plus some caramel; loses a full point for drifting way the hell off style

MF: Medium bodied, very dry & near zero carbonation

Drinks alright, but this one misses its stated target, so I'll ding it on taste & a few other areas. Fans of sour & tart may forgive this transgression, I really can't

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to Beertracker for this one!

A-Bright orange copper with a thin white head that receded into a thin ring and left spotty lace.

S-Light spiciness with underlying caramel malt sweetness and a touch of sour cherry.

T-Tart initial zip with notes of Granny Smith Apple and Montmorency Cherry. Nice backing of spicy yeast notes, and sweet biscuit malt.

M-Medium bodied fairly sharp with nice lingering tartness and spiciness.

D-Totally solid and well made. A nice Brett like tartness with the spicy aspects tat I like and often more often in a saison. Not sure if the pale ale moniker fits this one but regardless I liked it!

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Okay this was way too sweet and way too orangey for the beer. I usually like Choc beers but this one was by far the most overpriced beer I have ever had from them. Not impressed by the least. Slow down on the spices and fruit, stick with what you know. Come on. I really want to try the other specialty beers they offer but I am affraid after this one.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

750ml bottle into half pint via Deuane.

A - Clear amber/orange body with sparse carbonation and short white head that receded into a thin ring of retention and deposited a sparse amount of lacing on the glass.

S - Light hoppy aroma with caramel malt and a fruity character featuring sour cherries. There is also an underlying spicy, yeasty character with a mild hint of Brett.

T - Tart, fruity notes suggesting sour green apple, some Brett and spicy yeast. Malt character is light, sweet and caramely.

M - Medium bodied with a syrupy texture and soft carbonation. Mildly sour on the palate.

D - Nice take on a Belgian-style ale with a pleasant sour character that wasn't over the top like some other Belgians.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

My second Choc/Pete's beer - the first from the 'Brewmaster's Signature' series. 22 oz. bottle, poured to a tulip glass. Received this from coldmeat23 (thanks, Chris!). Served a little warm, out of the fridge for about 30 minutes.

An 'experimental' melding of two distinct beers: a domestically-malted blonde with Cascade hops and Belgian caramel malts; an amber with 3 varieties of imported malts and Perle hops. Kinda tough to categorize something like that; unsure if 'Belgian Pale Ale' best captures it, but it'll do...

A: Warm, honey-like orange; depending on the light, it becomes a rose-tinted auburn or a murky chestnut. Complexion is mildly hazed, unfiltered fine suspension of bottle-conditioned silt. Good carbonation, tiny bubbles rising everywhere to a small creamy ivory head. No lace, only a thin ring clings after a couple minutes.

S: Sweet/tart twang of Belgian candi sugar and a slightly musty peach and apple skin. Husky grain with a faint spice. With warming comes a slightly rose-like perfume.

T: Has the mild tartness of raspberries and a little vinous grape, paired with a spicy/grassy hopping. Slight lemon zest, more tartness from musty peaches. Curiously odd blending of two beer styles - a little muddled but intriguing flavors rise and fall.

M: Mouthfeel is a little mundane - a short-lived spritz, then a thin yeasty coating. Light body, but the modest tartness and a zesty, 'quenching' quality helps this to avoid being 'boring'.

D: Overall, an enjoyable beer. Remarkably drinkable at just 5% ABV, and an interesting experiment I'd liken to several styles (from a Biere de Garde to Berlinerweisse!). Not for everyone I don't suppose, but has its merits. Worth a try.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy amber/brown with zero head. Smell is faint but malty. Taste is quite surprising, very tart, strong taste of apple cider with a biscuity malt background. Tastes a lot like a blended lambic, IMO. Bitterness levels are low. Mouthfeel is good, carbonation levels very low. A definitely interesting ale, but its drinkability is not as high as others. Still an interesting beer that I would try again in smaller quantities (22oz is too much for one setting IMO).

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Experimental beer? I like experimental music, so why not beer, and it's always nice to see new things being tried. Pours amber with cherry red hues and little if any head. The aromas are complex with dark fruits, caramel, sweet bread and yeasts all coming through. Tastes, well, different, with some fruitiness and maltiness and a bit of lemon to boot. It's fairly well carbonated and light to medium bodied. While I respect the experimentation process, and this is a very drinkable and fairly tasty brew, there's something slightly off about it. Maybe it's the fact that it has many of the qualities of a lambic, which probably my least favorite beer. That being said, I fully recommend you try it for yourself and make your own decisions.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Based on the description I have no idea where they're going with this one! It's a blend of this and that...a Belgian/American/German experiment of sorts.

Choc's "Belgian-style Amber" pours golden-amber. Not much head or lacing to speak of, but the overall appearance is very nice.

Malt-dominated sweet and sour aroma.

Tastes unexpectedly tart! Didn't see that coming. Caramel sweetness tries to come through, but the tang dominates the palate. Honestly, it tastes like a Sour Brune more than anything. Dry and thirst-quenching.

No noticeable alcohol, and the shear uniqueness leads to a highly drinkable brew. Very intriguing.

Cheers to Choc and their ever-expanding lineup! Get a hold of this one if you can.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Commercial Description: A two-fold experiment...a blend of two seperate beers of different recipes. The first beer is a blonde, brewed with domestic 2-row and a small percentage of Belgian caramel malts and Cascade hops. The second beer is an amber of sorts, brewed almost entirely with malt impoted from Weyermann, Muessdoerffer, and Dingemans, hopped with German Perle. Both beers were fermented with our house wit beer yeast, and bottle conditioned. Pour carefully for clarity, and enjoy Brewmaster's Signature Series beer #3. Beers, Michael Lalli

Choc's Belgian-style Amber pours up with a low-moderate carbonation that creates a thin cream colored head that barely raises above the hazy, copper-tawny amber body. Head dissipates rather quickly, fair retention. The prominent grainy aroma has some bready, toasted caramel qualities with a moderate sweetness supplimented by a moderate-high fruitiness (lemonbalm, muscadine grapes, orange marmalade) and a low floral (geraniums) character with some herbal-hop spiciness (blackberry leaves, rose-oil) in the background. Very winey. No diacetyl. No perceivable alcohol. The flavor starts off with a low-profile maltiness that gathers momentum with a caramel sweetness and fresh toastiness (drop biscuits, sesame crackers, sourdough bread). These attributes are nicely balanced by just a touch of spicy (peppery) bitterness. Finishes semi-dry, with a vinegary tart, yeasty bite. This medium-light bodied, creamy amber is refreshing and has a lightly warming presence towards bottle's end. However, I find the acetic acidity a bit distracting and the lack of carbonation rather dissapointing for a Belgian-style beer. Overall, this artisanal Amber finds itself somewhere outside of Antwerp, but no one would ever guess it's from Krebs, Oklahoma. Hats off to Michael Lalli & crew for experimenting with the Brewmaster's Signature series. Now, "Hold my beer and watch this sh**!"

CHEERS! Beertracker