Belgian-Style Dubbel - Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place visit their website
Oklahoma, United States

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Gold at GABF in '09

(Beer added by: stephens101 on 10-24-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belgian-Style Dubbel Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

gwguest, Dec 19, 2011

TheMrFarnham, Jul 09, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

sneezye, Sep 01, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -32.1%

MikeD_beer, Aug 14, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

A: Medium brown with deep garnet hues. nice light tan head, though it dissipates to a thin layer fairly fast.

S: I am picking up a lot of roasted notes, as well as a oaky maple syrup type of smell. It almost smells like an English Barley wine. Perhaps some sugar candy and raisons. I am missing that belgian yeast character. It smells good, just very un-dubbel to me.

T: The taste is good, but also seems more like an English Barley wine to me. Some nice roasted notes, a touch of fusel alcohol. Raisons and dark bread, and perhaps a touch of tin. There is a bit more of a fruity flavor that I tend to associate with Belgian yeast, but overall it comes off as askew from the style. Slight medicinal flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is fairly thin in general, with a carbonation that dances on your tongue.

O: It seems like this brew doesn't have enough of the Belgian characteristics to be a great dubbel, and it seems to lack body.

Beejay, Mar 20, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -23%

A - Reddish brown color beer with a bit of a tan head that left behind some moderate lace.

S - Kind of an odd dubbel. A bit malt-heavy, with some dark fruit coming through. Slightly boozy as well.

T - Sweet malts, with dark fruits, raisins, and some spices. It's overly malty, kind of bizzare, and not great. Bit of booze.

M - Didn't care for this, too thin with too much carbonation.

O - Don't like this take on a dubbel. Too thin, malty, boozy, and carbonated. It's not like it's horrible, but I find it a poor and weird example of the style, or a bad take on it.

AgentZero, Jul 14, 2011

Beertracker, Nov 22, 2011

A: Pours a dark red amber. A little more than a finger of head with great retention.

S: Dull sweetness and very malty. Subtle orange peel but otherwise no citrus aroma.

T: Malty and a smack of metallic taste immediately. I did not see that coming and I did not like it.

M: Damn, all I can taste is metal. Its a shame because there was a lot of potential here. Maybe I got a bad batch or something.

D: I won't have this one again. I may not even finish the 22 oz bottle I have here.

Later that night...

Ok, I'm starting to come around a LITTLE BIT. This beer has more to offer than metallic taste, though I still can't get past that flavor.

happilysurly, Mar 24, 2010

whickman44, Mar 09, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Dark brown pour, with a foamy tan head that faded all too quickly.

S: Fruity, estery, sweet, bready malt, cherry.

T: Thin, estery, bready malt, cherry. A little stale tasting, not in a good way--cardboard, slightly metallic.

M: Thin, undercarbonated for the style. A little too sweet.

D: Pretty average overall. Too thin, not carbonated enough, lacks the character I expect in a Dubbel. For this to have gold-medaled, it must have been a bad year for Dubbels.

Ambiorix, Nov 27, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance: Slides out a well-hazed, dark amber-hued body with a smallish, fine-textured, light khaki head.

Smell: Sweet-scented caramel coating a sensible portion of toasted malts and appropriately adjoined to notes of spice and stewed whole plums.

Taste: Sweet upfront, with malty tastes of toasted bread and caramel. Slight candi sugar accents. Quickly, the flavor turns to plums and raisins with a touch of tartness. Spiciness hinting at nutmeg powder. No real distinct hop character coming through. As it progresses, the fruitiness ratchets up to previous nothches unknown. Remains fairly sweet for the fruity, slightly boozy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium plus carbonation.

Drinkability: When I think of the best an Abbey Dubbel has to offer, I seriously doubt Choc's offering will immediately spring to mind. This one just didn't have the desired body and stayed sweet til the end. Still, it's okay, I guess, and works in a pinch, especially in Oklahoma.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 11, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

OK tick. Some interesting very recent reviews...Pours a reddish copper with a decent light tan head, good retention, ok lacing...The aroma is amazingly skunky for a dubbel, really sweet and malty, cherries and plums but the skunk is the backbone. Too sweet for me without balance....The taste has a weird syrupy cherry texture and taste, like a sweeter cherry cough syrup. Despite that sounding like a semi good thing, in reality just tastes weird and borderline bad.

I pretty bad dubbel I can't recommend unless your ticking OK.

jrallen34, Jan 12, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to blueokie for the bottle as an extra

A - pours a red, coppery colorand has quite a bit of carbonation

S - I got the traditional dubbel belgian yeasty nose off of this one and seem to be headin gin the right direction

T - I get the spice of the belgium yeast up front and this sweetness pours over my palate like a candy coating of sugar.
A diabetic's nightmare.

Drinkability - this was not a bad dubbel, its was a descent one. Too sweet for my taste I am glad I got to try it.

BgThang, Mar 15, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured In: Snifter

Appearance: The pour is an auburn and bistre color with three fingers of head. Lace is practically non-existent, and the head retention is okay. The beer appears to be quite effervescent.

Smell: The nose is a mixture of raisins, plums and a bit of pepper. There is a little bit of alcohol coming through as well as some sugary malt.

Taste: The tasting starts out with some rather sweet malt that lingers for quite some time. The spices and fruits start to come out at the end revealing more plum, raisin, cherry and a dash of pepper. The finish is moderately dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, carbonation was a bit high for my liking.

Drinkability: The alcohol in this seems higher than eight percent to me, but, what do I know. This is an enjoyable beer, though the amount of sweetness that crosses that palate was a bit much The beer has a very nice fruit profile which I wouldn't change, but I'd lower the alcohol, thin out the body (mostly in carbonation) and I think this would be a more drinkable beer.

Ek0nomik, Mar 26, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

csfcmitchell, Aug 23, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

A-Deep amber color....light fizzy head..

S-Rich and malty....caramel square candy...brown sugar...dried cherries, and plums....some spicy notes from the phenols...very nice aroma...

T-Solid but a little weaker in the flavor department than I expected from the aroma....the caramel is softer....the dried fruits are still there but also an apple skin note now...finishes with a little peppery note...flavor really seems to fade deeper in..

M-Not as big as expected but not bad either....a little too fizzy for my liking...

O-Nicely done dubbel. Got this bomber for 2.98 in the closeout barrel.

ZAP, Apr 19, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks for yet another Oklahoma tick, Bobby.

A: The pour is a muddled brown color and an off-white head without much, if any, retention.

S: This one smells like carbon-dioxide, sweet malts, and a bit of toffee. Also fairly oxidized, too, with quite a bit of cardboard aroma, too. Some mild fruits, such as raisins and apples, too.

T: Bread, toffee, and mildly sweet caramel provide the maltiness and sweetness to the beer. Again, a fair amount of oxidation gives this one some cardboard. A mild spice character, which could be added or perhaps yeast esters.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: I've liked the majority of beers that I've had from these guys, but this one was a miss. Oh well, you can't win them all.

womencantsail, Nov 22, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Opening Notes: Poured from a bottle purchased 5/27/2011. Upon opening, it appeared to be slightly over-carbonated as it overflowed just a little.

Appearance: Pours a deep amber/auburn/brown color (I’m colorblind, so I’m guessing). Nice head on it as it pours, but dissipates quickly.

Smell/Nose: Smells a bit fruity… Maybe plum, grape, or old apples; there’s a whiff of the alcohol as well, but it’s not over-powering. Overall the smell is pretty sweet, almost too much so.

Taste: Tastes are reminiscent of the smell; lots of fruity sugary and a little bit of alcohol. There’s a bit of a bite coming from somewhere right at the end, which gives it a pleasantly dry finish in the mouth after the wet, sticky taste of the fruit.

Mouth/Feel: Thin, overly carbonated (in my opinion; it overflowed upon opening from carbonation). I don’t drink many beers of this style, so it might be characteristic of the group, but it felt weaker/thinner than it should have. The color and smell made me expect something with some body, but it just kind of flowed through without leaving much behind to show its passing except a bunch of bubbly fizz.

Drinkability: Overall, drinkable, but not sure it would be my first choice. The alcohol content is 8%, but didn’t feel overpowering to me. The mouth/feel was a bit weak, but that might be just my opinion. The fruity smell and taste, while a bit strong at the beginning, grew on me as I drank it. The biggest drawback for me was the amount of carbonation. Every drink felt much too fizzy in my mouth, and made it a bit disappointing even though the taste was fine.

JoshKlugh, Jun 30, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

22 oz. bottle tried 26 Jan 2010.

Poured in a 0.4 L Kur Pils snifter. A large lacy fizzy orange tan head fills most of the glass. Well carbonated. Clear burnt umber color. Aromas of grapeskins, ripe bananas, some brown sugar. Tastes of bananas and wheat toast. Some candy sugar. Finish is a bit medicinal and tannic. Aftertaste is warming. Body is on the thin side.

Nice to see Choc expand their offerings.

htomsirveaux, May 19, 2010