Pacific Schwarzbock - Pacific Western Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Pacific Western Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Schwarzbier |  8.00% ABV

The name “Schwarzbock” derives from the German word for black (“schwarz”) and strong beer (“bock”). Pacific Schwarzbock is true to German-style bocks, with an alcohol content of 8%, yet remarkably drinkable with no alcohol taste but a nice warm body that beer connoisseurs are looking for.

(Beer added by: Derek on 10-19-2011)
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

I was surprised to see this beer when I stopped by the liquor store today. It pours a an inky black, almost opaque, with a dense, brown head that doesn't last long. The aroma is slightly chocolatey, with a bit of nutty malt and an hint of something almost sour, vaguely like vinegar. Sweet, moderately dark malt pops upfront, with a hint of roastiness. The malt flavor is bready and a bit nutty, with lots of dark fruit and caramel sweetness. The rich maltiness lingers nicely with a restrained hop bitterness in the finish. Just a hint of warming alcohol is the only nod to the 8% abv.

This beer is a diamond in the rough, in my opinion, and a real value as well. It reminds me of what I remember of Guinness Foreign Export, but maybe a bit less hoppy. Overall I am really impressed!

02-18-2012 03:59:16 | More by ericj551
papawu76

12-02-2011 22:02:29 | More by papawu76
dmorgan310

Panama

12-02-2012 20:41:02 | More by dmorgan310
canucklehead

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Kudos to PWB for putting out a strong seasonal in a tall can . I hope phillips and lighthouse go this route.

Black as spades with a strong burnt malt nose. this has a good thick mouthfeel but smooth finish. Much better than i expected from PWB and in the same class as hermannator for style. The sweetness is restrained and I look forward to other seasonal from these guys hopefully in cans

11-20-2011 03:05:11 | More by canucklehead
BeerandChess

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I went to the liquor store, and browsed for the cheapest beer. This was there, even cheaper then the malt liquor, for $2.50 for 473ml of 8%. I expected swill. I did not get swill.

A - Deep deep brown, looking black in the glass. No head or bubbles.

S - Very faint smell, almost smell coffee.

T - Tastes slightly of coffee, nuts, and chocolate, and is slightly bitter. Syrupy, a bit sweet, maybe a mollases taste? It's a bit of a weak flavor, but one completely of absent of aftertaste, which is shocking for an 8% beer.

M - Thick, little carbonation. A bit wimpy, but a bit differant as well.

O - why is my overall so high? The reason I'm drinking this beer is because I looked for the cheapest beer in my local liquor store, and they had cold 473ml (16oz) cans at 8% strength for $2.50. The value is outstanding, this is an alright craft beer for a bargain price. Even if I thought it was fairly priced, I would not regret my purchase.

07-08-2013 05:41:51 | More by BeerandChess

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

06-13-2013 14:00:52 | More by KStark
Derek

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Black, no bubbles, no head.

S: Light roast, rye bread, slight floral & grassy aroma with hints of pepper.

T: Light coffee-like roast, pumpernickel rye bread, nutty, light pepper, good bitterness, alcohol is subtle.

M: Moderate body has a light residual sweetness with an off-dry finish. Unfortunately there isn't much carbonation at all.

D/O: I really like the concept... a schwarzbier with a good bitterness and hopping, brewed to a doppelbock strength with the malt to back it up. Unfortunately it wasn't executed nearly as well as I'd hope for a specialty release.

10-19-2011 00:27:25 | More by Derek
EskimoDave

11-21-2011 03:27:50 | More by EskimoDave
Pacific Schwarzbock from Pacific Western Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.