T.N.T. 6% Strong Malt - Pacific Western Brewing Company

T.N.T. 6% Strong MaltT.N.T. 6% Strong Malt

Pacific Western Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Strong malty aroma with sweet notes. If you like an explosion of taste in your mouth, TNT Strong Malt is an amber-coloured manly brew and it is a long-time favourite in B.C. – guaranteed to blow away any thirst.

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 12-06-2003)
1.42/5  rDev -41.6%

When I was 17, I got really drunk with some friends and split a case of TNT with a few homeless guys that booted for us. If that doesn't say anything about my thoughts on this beer, I don't know what does.

It's not the worst lager I've had, but it's damn close.

Olek4374, Aug 04, 2014
2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

harpus, Feb 27, 2014
2.55/5  rDev +4.9%

355ml can poured into pint glass 17/2/12

A clear golden copper with massive bubbles feeding a cola like head that leaves no lace

S some caramel with a little earthiness

T again pretty simple what I smell with a slight chemical flavor

M not the easiest thing to swallow and its pretty watery

O could be worse but could be quite a bit better too

for a dollar in the blow out bin I may have got what I paid for

wordemupg, Feb 18, 2012

EskimoDave, Nov 21, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

355ml can. "T.N.T. - I'm dynamite! T.N.T. - and I'll win the fight!"

Every time that I've walked past these very affordable six packs in liquor stores over the years, the strains of Bon Scott's titular growl appeared in my head. Now I find out this bit of marketing pap is classified as a Munich Dunkel Lager on BA? Will wonders never cease?

This beer pours a clear, pale copper amber colour, with three chubby fingers of puffy, foamy, and fizzy off-white head, which leaves a decent array of stratified lace around the glass as it lazily recedes.

It smells of mildly sweet grain, both corn and malt-borne, white bread, stale caramel, weedy, floral, and somewhat skunky hops, and some generic booze-soaked bar top. The taste is rather sweet, and yet sour bready malt, with a touch of caramel, and less corn than I might have imagined, a few stray astringent fusels kicking about, and weak musty, weedy, and earthy hops.

The carbonation is average, just a dim, pandering frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, fairly smooth, and yet a little slick from the extra booze, it would seem. It finishes still a bit sweet, as the soft dry bread and caramel character deal well enough with the struggling skunky hops.

A hell of a lot more enjoyable than I was anticipating, which is not to say that it's very good, just that it's not very bad. If you're into counting loose change to buy your beer, this is definitely the way to go. For the extra octane, and the rock-bottom price, that's the way I wanna rock and roll!

biboergosum, Dec 10, 2010
2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

TNT is, perhaps, the cheapest beer available in Alberta. I must admit that I expected it to be awful. After all, cheap beer is crappy beer, right?

Well, I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised when I poured a can of TNT into a pint glass. It's far from the greatest beer I've ever tasted. But, damn, for a beer that costs a $1 a can (or less, if it's on sale), it's not bad.

TNT pours a golden amber with a thick head. The head thins out quickly, but doesn't disappear entirely. There's very little lacing, but a small head remains throughout the drinking session.

There is an aroma of skunk as soon as the can is opened and it gets stronger as you pour the beer. However, this smell quickly gives way to an aroma of cooked vegetables.

Mouth feel is quite nice. It's lightly carbonated, and has a very lightly syrupy feeling to it. The mouth feel is similar to several more expensive beers that I've tried.

The taste isn't the greatest, but it's very good considering the price of the can. It was far more robust than I expected, with a subtle hint of caramel as well as notes of malt and hops.

It's a very drinkable beer, and goes down quite easy, despite being 6% ABV. I sometimes find that higher alcohol beers are, while enjoyable, not quite as drinkable as those that fall into the standard 4.5 - 5% range that I'm used to. TNT feels quite drinkable, and doesn't seem like a 6% ABV beer.

TNT is definitely a drinkable beer. It's one of the cheapest (if not *the* cheapest) beers in Alberta, but it's actually not the worst tasting. TNT might just become my regular budget beer, especially when I'm going camping and need something that I can enjoy straight from the can.

My final verdict for TNT: pleasantly surprised; will buy again.

asnider, Jun 26, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Surprisingly, this is the best looking cheap beer that I have seen! It poured out of the can with a thick foamy white head that actually had good retention, eventually becoming a dense thin foamy layer on the top of the liquid. Modest lacing is seen and the coloration isn't bad either, having a light amber tone. Carbonation looks fairly heavy, but overall, decent appearance!

S- Ok, this is where you know it's not going to be overly good. It smells dusty, like how grass smells after all the snow has melted in the spring. And there is a distinct tinny aroma, which must be from the can. There might be some faint malt smells but not much else here.

T- Well that metallic smell carries over into the flavor as well, as this is the 1st thing I taste, and it's prominent. After getting through that, there is some grainy flavors, and the malts do come through. Very faint hops are detectable, but overall this comes across sweet, which isn't a bad thing, just the tinny aspect....it does get less noticable the more you drink however.

M- This area was reasonable, as there is a more of a medium-light body to this beer and as time wears on, the carbonation levels off, leaving more of the character of the beer to be experienced. Definitely richer than other cheap beers and lets you feel the malts on the palate more so than a lot of other beers.

D- For a cheap beer, this isn't overly bad, but I don't think I'd be able to enjoy more than say 2 of these in a row, as that metallic taste just is too dominant...if this can be improved on, I'd put it at the top of the "value" beers that I've had so far. For the price, it's decent, but nothing to brag about....it's also 6%, which would at least make me think about trying this again maybe...splitting a 6 pack with a friend could be an option.

ChrisCage, Jul 23, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -3.3%

3rd can from the BC chunder fest gift pack.

Looks decent enough at first glance...burished copper-amber a decent rocky white cap with modest retention...

...then you smell it ; that vegetal sweetness and hints of DMS mingles with fusel notes..yuck!

You do not relish tasting it but it is cleaner than it smells...no off tastes just the adjunct caramel sweetness with insufficient hop balance and lack of maltiness....the adjunct sugars take over the character. Finishes with a weird metallic tang over riding the caramel sweetness...doesn't seem from any hop I'm familiar with through.

Animal house sudz for sure.

pootz, Jul 26, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +17.3%

From a can with the new label (red, with "Caution, T.N.T, Handle with care") It's cheap, and that's how it is promoted - 5.99 / 6 pck.
Poured out of the can, its appearance is OK - loke you expect from a dunkel. Clear brown / orange amber liquid, full and thick head of white foam. The aroma is of some sweet malt and sour grassy smell. Had a hard time trying to put my finger on the flavor. Nothing stands out, and it really is just another macro-clone. Malt and some hop but not enought to make anything special. Left a metalic aftertaste too. By the end of the glass, it was pretty much flat and left a thick coating on the tongue. Now I know to pass on this on next time.

BigBry, Aug 15, 2005
2.17/5  rDev -10.7%

Swiped a can of this from my dad's beer fridge the last time I visited, just for the sport of reviewing it, as I'd never buy this stuff. Right there at the beginning of the review: I'd never buy this stuff.

Although most people who drink this stuff would never know it, when poured out of its can it is pretty decent looking. A nice clear medium amber bodied beer with a frothy white cap of head that lasts long enough for the first sip. The aroma, however, spoils the party. Not very strong, but enough to expose sweet malt and corn adjunct. The flavour, although not offensive, is not very good either. For the taste it's better than Wildcat, high test, or that Mountain Crest turbo juice, but lets face it, this T.N.T. is simply cheaply priced piss-up juice. Not to drink for the flavour, but for it to "do the job!". Anyways, sweet grain throughout, with a sharp estery finish. The mouthfeel, although a bit abrasive from the carbonation and adjuncts, is also decent for what this is, has more body to it than any of the Berghoff beers I've recently sampled. Yet like I said at the beginning, I'd never buy this stuff myself, it doesn't even make good lawnmower beer, and at the moment I don't have any good reason to get floor-licking shit-faced either.

IronDjinn, Jan 25, 2005
2.58/5  rDev +6.2%

-small 355ml can, no freshness date.
-poured a dirty straw like in color. Small head that slimmed to a minor one. Very little lacing.
-smell was average, with a minor hop smell.

Overall this was a rather unumpressive beer. It did have a sharp, crisp slight amber taste to it. It was not bad but nothing I would rush out for.
Thx