Willimantic Imperial Black Night Wonder Whammer - Willimantic Brewing Co.

Willimantic Imperial Black Night Wonder Whammer

to view more.
Ratings: 3 | Reviews: 3
Reviews by shigg85:
4.05/5  rDev n/a

Had this from the cask in a half pint glass at the Willimantic Brewery in Willimantic, CT. Dark brown ale with a thin creamy white head. Roasted malt scent with malty bing cherries and overripe raspberries in the flavor. A nice smooth barleywine aftertaste. Overall, a decent barleywine... not my favorite, but I have I high standard for these as well. I would try it if you can get it, though!

2.09/5  rDev n/a

Let me start off by saying my wife and I LOVE the Willibrew Pub and they do hops like nobodys business but this brew was just above YUCK!! It looked good, safe enough, and the 10.4% ABV usually will make any brew my favorite but not this one.

I had read the previous /only review before I made the trip so I knew it was risky. Luckily, they only serve this stuff in a 12oz glass so it was over quickly. Tasted like half molasses, half zinfandel, sticky sweet thin body with a kick. I have no experience with barleywine so I may not be the best judge. The previous review will give you a better idea of what to expect. Pay particular attention to he comment "not everyone will like this, it is somewhat extreme, sort of like a margarita beer".

3.98/5  rDev n/a

Not sure if this actually ends up being a true barleywine but it is apparently based on their Whammer barleywine series of "experiments". This stuff is some unique blend carried out in bourbon barrels and that is super evident when you first stick your nose in it. From the aroma you really expect to get a mouthful of eye watering Wild Turkey but it also gets in a hint of Guinness stout and chocolate with a vague floral overtone thrown in to soften the blow. But it's mostly about Kentucky here. It's a bit of a surprise after surveying this very dark, black/brown concoction which offers a fair light tan head poured chilled into one of those classic "hour glass" vessels at the Willibrew Pub. It has decent streaky lacing but it isn't pronounced. Once I drink in that aroma and brace myself for a stiff shot at 10.4% ABV, I get a very pleasant surprise (my Wild Turkey days are well behind me). There's actually much less bourbon dominance in the flavor, thankfully, and slam bang it takes you to a highly tart lemon bite with malt sweetness evident, very intriguing. Happily the alcohol also does not overwhelm as the aroma might suggest. This makes for an enjoyable, though perhaps challenging to some, blend that in my opinion is a bit of a masterpiece. I rarely like these bourbon barrel brews, but this one I definitely like. Mind you I wouldn't rank this too high on the sessioning list, but I would drink this regularly and could do a couple in a row in the right situation amongst other beers. After a few sips, you are reminded of the alcohol kick but the intense citrus does a neat job of diffusing the bourbon and the resulting mix is at the very least, unique. Not everyone will like this, it is somewhat extreme, sort of like a margarita beer, but the beer geeks should be tickled with it while it's available. I also pick up some licorice but everything has to work its way past the sour blend of barbequed liquor and power-puckering fruit. The body is a little thin but it works and the texture is quite smooth and surprisingly it goes down pretty easy. Carbonation is fairly modest. That was fun, let's do it again.

to view more.
Willimantic Imperial Black Night Wonder Whammer from Willimantic Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.