Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,810 | Reviews: 620
3.22/5  rDev +22.4%

taste great watching the Hawks win a Stanley Cup

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Oh yes the lovely Canadian ones

Not necessarily bad, but it's a pretty one note beer. I honestly would rather drink Budweiser than this. At least with Budweiser there is a little complexity as you can taste the rice in it. I'm not much on hoppy beers, but I'm actually pretty disappointed in how weak it is for a so called pilsner. My first pilsner was Bofferding and that is supposedly considered a "beer for the masses" beer here on BA and it's quite a bit hoppier than Labatt.

3.69/5  rDev +40.3%

I'm not sure how people review beers in this place. Something's not right.

Comparing to American adjuncts it's decent stuff.
Nice maltiness, balanced -- even has a genuine pilsner taste to it.

I'll happily drink this over any of the AAL's.
Cheers.

2.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rated from notes on previous tasting

3.83/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

OK beer, better that some domestics.

1.03/5  rDev -60.8%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a faint corn smell, not much of a beer aroma.
Appearance- A god awful faint yellow with a very small white head.
Taste- uhhmm, horrible is a good word for this beer. barely resembles a beer flavor.
Palate- When the palate category is the highest rated on a beer that should say enough. I can choke it down and it stays down.
Overall- I haven't had Labatt Blue in 25 years and i remember it being more shall we say drinkable. I don't know if my taste buds changed or if they tinkered with the recipe but this is terrible.

1.66/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I want to like this but it's just another adjunct beer heavily marketed around here. I guess moderate carbonation made the mouthfeel ok and it is not completely offensive when cold. Corn aroma and taste become more pronounced as it warms. Perhaps it gets a gold star for nostalgia sake.

2.29/5  rDev -12.9%

Hey, listen. It's not on the top of the list of awesome craft beers but in a pinch ($1.15 for a 24oz) it works and isn't bad. Plus, when your friends come over for football they will relish drinking an import instead of Miller or Bud

2.42/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3/2 Bottle - Clear pour, not very thick or heavy. Minimal smell, not many flavours while tasting. Minimal carbonation.

1.75/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It's truly an awful beer.

2.42/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Brilliant straw color. The white 2 finger head is quickly dead. Nothing special.

Flavors and aromas of corn with a fruity/sugary feel. Very faint taste but well balanced.
Slight metallic smell.

Light slick body with average carbonation. Short and faint sugary finish.

Overall : Bland beer with added sugar to compensate. Still feels relatively fresh.

4.94/5  rDev +87.8%

I don't understand some of the reviews. Top rated beers are nasty. And some of my favorite are ranked 6 or 7? I've tried the beers that are ranked high and have to ask… why? I've read the reviews and don't get it. I think, if it's not BAC over 5.9, it's considered piss water. But flavor that doesn't make me squeal and want my eyes to water, isn't a qualifying factor for a great beer for me.

3.46/5  rDev +31.6%

As far as adjunct lagers go, this is a better one. Great appearance with color and head. Nose is a weak spot though with some cereal grain and hint of canned veggies, but the flavor on the palate is a decent malty-grainy taste with balance of hops to make it have some overall flavor worth enjoying. Too many adjunct lagers seem designed to have as little flavor as possible, but this one is more flavor forward and a decent flavor. If I was a regular adjunct drinker, then this would be in my fridge fairly often.

1.92/5  rDev -27%

I recon I'll stick ta drinkin' dem buds

4.02/5  rDev +52.9%

My only problem is that the bottles are only 11.5 oz and cans are 12oz. Hey do the math. Regardless, I'm a big fan of Blue, not so much Blue Light I love the taste and color. Its a beer that serves many purposes, great for getting a buzz, great for relaxing and great for watching sports. Can't really go wrong with Labatt Blue

1.59/5  rDev -39.5%

Tastes like spoiled rice. Did not pair well with the barleywine I was drinking at the time. Awful beer. Don't know what it looks like because I drank it out of a can.

Straw colored beer. Not much happening here in the way of flavor.

3.03/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I like it. Oh yeah

1.45/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

One of the worst AAL I've had the pleasure of tasting. Honestly cannot believe people regularly drink this crap.

3.2/5  rDev +21.7%

All in all this beer is a somewhat better adjunct lager than others I've had, namely Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, however as with any adjunct lager, I advise this be very cold when you drink it, or the funky sweet grain and corn notes will come alive in the smell and taste and it'll be much harder to drink, but this beer does have a nice crisp, smooth finish to it, other than that, it's got all the qualities of a typical adjunct lager.

3.23/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Easy drinking, better than domestic US beers

3.33/5  rDev +26.6%

Light in body and mouth feel. Very drinkable and smooth.

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%

An OK beer on a hot summer day... but must be served very cold, goes bad fast once warm.

1.76/5  rDev -33.1%

Shared a pitcher with the bowling team. They always have a different $7 pitcher and this week was Labatt. Wow was it bad. Ugly traw colored body. Taste like stale Bud with some sugar water added. I don’t mind when the $7 pitcher special is Pabst, Coors, or Miller, but this stuff was terrible. We ended up not finishing the pitcher :(

to view more.
Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.