Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 605 | Hads: 1,865
4.94/5  rDev +83%

I don't understand some of the reviews. Top rated beers are nasty. And some of my favorite are ranked 6 or 7? I've tried the beers that are ranked high and have to ask… why? I've read the reviews and don't get it. I think, if it's not BAC over 5.9, it's considered piss water. But flavor that doesn't make me squeal and want my eyes to water, isn't a qualifying factor for a great beer for me. (395 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +74.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the best beers i've ever had, I can't believe some of these reviews. This is my favorite beer, this and moslon canadian. Defiently my beer of choice. Pours a nice golden colour, with a nice tall frothy head. This is a great beer hands down. I love it in a cold glass, in a can, I just love it. My absolute favorite beer, if you are looking for a great beer this is it. Two thumbs way up. This beer is definetly recommend, these reviews are messed up, this is a great beer. (487 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +61.1%

A - Decent head that melts away pretty quick. Light yellow/straw in color.

S - Nothing setting your nose on fire here, simple.

T - Taste is very good too ME, for what it is anyway. A very nice balance, nothing over the top, yet it still has decent body that tastes like beer... not to watery.

M - Above average for a macro.

D - I can drink these all day (and never seem to get a hangover if I do). Great beer for the weekend BBQ or watching the ball game.

Labatts Blue is one of my all time favorites. To me it has a much better taste and body then your average domestic beer (i.e. Coors, Bud, etc.), which drives it's drinkability in my book. (648 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +60%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

S: Smells like it has a slight caramel malt taste, but not an over powering one.

T: Smooth, non-heavy beer! This beer definitely stands out among most beers! Great taste!

O: Definitely a beer to try. My good friend tried it, and labatte became his all time favorite beer. This has always been my favorite! A distinct taste with this beer! Great and amazing taste of Canada! (377 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +57.8%

24oz can into a pint glass

Light golden color. Head fizzes quickly, then dissipates with good lacing.

Not much of a smell going on here. Really can't pick up anything.

Taste is refreshingly mild. Not overly sweet, not bitter. And surprisingly not extra corn-filled. It is pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin, with the proper amount of carbonation. Not overly bubbly, which is a good thing.

Overall, this is a quality Canadian Lager. Anyone who appreciates a simple, yet refreshing brew can appreciate this. No need at all to bash it, as it does indeed have its place in the beer world. (582 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +57.4%

Pours clear, light golden color with a very thin head that dissipates quickly. Only a slight lacing. Heavy carbonation, mild flavor but not watery. Hints of citrus and nutty, bitter finish. Easy drinking. A very good everyday beer, even if unremarkable. (254 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +56.7%

Best macro you can buy. If I don't feel like spending the money on a micro I pick up some of these. It is on the lighter side but to to light that you can't taste the pilsner flavor, I love pilsners. I can and have drank many in one night with no problem. I attend college near Canada and they are cheaper up here which is what mainly got me started on them, a giant leap in taste from the normal college beer of keystone light, blah. The beer is admititly better in Canada, they are keeping the good stuff for them selves. Ontop of all that they give away cool stuff in thier 24's certain times of the year. Recomend bottles in America and Drafts in Canada. (658 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +54.8%

Labatt Blue is definitely my favorite beer to drink. The taste is not exceptional the way expensive imports are, rather it is simply a macro brew of Canada. However, I like this beer much better than Budweiser, and the reason ultimately is taste. It has that American Domestic taste like A.B. beers do, yet it is gently covered with some kind of import taste. The beer is easy to get down, meaning not super filling like the fancy dark brews I like to import. The appearance makes no difference to me, it just seems gold like Budweiser, but the smell, like the taste, has an air of import to it if just barely.

This beer is not too heavy, yet not too light. The way I would sum up Labatt Blue for you is "the best of both worlds". (731 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +50.4%

Labatt Blue, this is the clutch beer for when I am out at bars, or anywhere that serves beer. Since I am a college student, and when I do go out for a beer, I cannot afford much more than domestics at bars. So I drink this. For a macro this is really well done. But it is by no means a pilsner though. The price tag that accompanies this beer is quite ridiculous, at the beer store in Ontario, this retails for 36.50$ a case. By no means is this beer worth that price tag, buy at bars it is the cheapest beer you can buy. I've had this beer, in cans, in bottle, on tap. The different delivery modes, really don't affect this beer at all, it all tastes the exact same. When poured into a glass, it has a nice deep golden yellow color, and nice one inch head that sticks the whole way down. Smells of adjuncts, adjuncts, adjuncts! Specifically corn, and of that stock beer smell. For a macro its average, as they all smell of adjuncts. Blue has a very smooth crisp taste, nice hop bitterness, its surprising to taste hops in a macro, but this has it. Just a real enjoyable taste. Nice full, smooth mouthfeel, very satisfying. This beer is an easy session beer, when cold it goes down like water, and pairs nicely with pizza and chicken wings. I recommend this beer when you are going to a bar, but when staying in to get that buzz, you can do just as well for much much cheaper. I highly recommend this beer! As it is my favorite domestic beer! (1,442 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +50%

For all the mass-produced North America beers out there, this one tastes the best. Keep in mind, make sure you drink it cold, or it won't taste good (perhaps it's b/c there are no preservatives in this beer)? Anyway, this beer actually has a pleasant taste, no aftertaste, and is best among beers priced in the same catagory such as Bud, Miller Lite and Coors. (360 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +48.9%

My only problem is that the bottles are only 11.5 oz and cans are 12oz. Hey do the math. Regardless, I'm a big fan of Blue, not so much Blue Light I love the taste and color. Its a beer that serves many purposes, great for getting a buzz, great for relaxing and great for watching sports. Can't really go wrong with Labatt Blue (327 characters)

This has always been one of my personal favorites when I want to drink a quality beer at an affordable price. Whether it is in a bottle or can, Labatt Blue always seems to hit the spot. It has a sweet taste to it with quite a bit of flavor. It's a lot different than other Canadian Imports as a result of that sweet taste. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, especially someone that wants a quality beer without spending a lot of money. (443 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +47.4%

One of my favorites living up here in northern New York right next to the Canadian border!

A- Out of the tap this beer just looks delicious yellow straw color looks like what a beer is supposed to look like.

S- Blue can smell a bit skunky sometimes especially if you let it get the least bit warm.

T- Delicious one of the best thirst quenching beers out there especially after outside all day in the hot sun but once again if it gets the least bit warm it gets skunky.

M- Mouthful is good not thick slightly watery but pretty good.

D- Goes down extremely smooth could drink it all day! (590 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +43.3%

Having one right now out of a 24 oz. can. I get them the .99 cents at the liquor store down the street from my house. All of my relatives live in Canada so everytime I'm up there i try to have atleast one.

I find it to be a pretty decent beer that's easy to drink and pretty cheap too which never hurt.

Solid beer for a solid price. (335 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

Is better than average, the King of Canadian macro breweries.
Please do not confuse the Canadian Blue with its exported counterpart. Yes, taste is similar, but the original is full bodied with a slight after taste and not as sweet...and a tad lighter in colour. (262 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +41.9%

Typical of a Canadian export. Clean, crispt and simple. Light amber in color with a nice head. Nice blend of hops and malt, but slightly fizzy and bitter (but in a good way). Very drinkable. (194 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +41.5%

My grade may be a little higher than I want it to be, but I can't find any big negatives to bring up. There's nothing special at all about this, and I used to like it a lot back in the day. Maybe I just have a high regard for higher alcoholic beers.

The color is pretty good, not nearly has transparent and water downed like some American lagers. Not much head or fizz going on, and I didn't catch much of a scent. But at ice cold, it's a great lager taste and it will have you reaching for more. (497 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The Dorm Room Review

From a steel-blue can, adorned with an auburn maple leaf and ivory and gold character, pours an imported pilsner from the great, mysterious North. I am, of course, referring to the majestic nation of Canada (and in my case, one can drive South to enter Windsor). We all know the Blue, so let's give it a review, eh?
This review was written to the tune of: Godspeed You! Black Emperor's song "Static".

Consumed from the can. I need to save my solo cups.

Appearance: No doubt, Labatt Blue is not an appearance-driven beer. If you've seen one adjunct, you've seen 'em all. Someone should tell Labatt to dye a batch blue in honor of some anti-St.Patrick's Day (John Labatt's birthday, perhaps? Get at me, Labatt Co.!)

Smell: The dense Canadian wilderness. Hints of Yukon moose and oligotropic freshwater perch, particularly from Southern Ontario's Lake Simcoe. Just kidding, Labatt smells like BEER. You know the smell, and depending on your olfactory memory, it can be good or bad.

Taste: A lumberjack from Toronto decided to trek to the Canadian Shield, draped in his sweat-soaked red plaid sweater and tight beaver-skin boots. From a leather pouch, the Canadian unsheathes his beer mug, and plunges it deep into the ancient glaciated Earth. He takes a valiant Canuck swig from his glass, and with the spirit of a thousand Mounties, he shouts in French to the heavens (Quebec), and thus, Labatt was founded. In reality, the lumberjack was pleased by the great, crisp taste of Labatt Blue. Malt, typical adjunct are clear, but some sort of extra character purvey from the usual macro bunch. I can think of no other alcoholic beverage to enjoy after a long day of physical labor. Keep six of these cool in your fridge (or glacier), and enjoy with reckless abandon after quittin' time.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, light, Canadian. Perfectly sessionable.

Overall: I really like Labatt Blue. In fact, I really like Canada. One of my Polish ancestors, who illegally hopped a boat from the motherland, landed in Canada and lived there before moving to Michigan. Labatt Blue is certainly worth the extra sheckles when faced with the boring Miller and Coors. For full effect: tune into a hockey playoff game, buy three pizzas, invite four or more friends over, and crack open several Labatt Blues as you watch barbarians on ice beat each other up.
Fun fact: if you purchase Labatt from one of Canada's liquor stores (which close by 5pm), the "imported" text will vanish. (2,480 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +41.5%

poured from a cold bottle into my pint glass 22 June 09. wasn't sure who actually brewed this, so i looked it up.. bought by Interbrew in 1995 (now ABInBev).

A: pours a little greyish-yellow-gold with decent amount of white head, rocky, fades quite fast, but does leave a slight layer on top. crystal clear, carbonation evident in bubbles flowing continually. not bad, but could use better / more head

s: pale malt, maybe a tiny bit of metal? maybe a touch of earthy and floral hops, hm. not much in general though.

T: decent macro lager, crisp and clean, touch of sweet malt corniness, touch of bitter and a bit of floral hop. i'm not generally into adjunct lagers, but i prefer this over many of the same style

m: crisp and spritzy. little watery

d: little taste allows for smooth drinking. not quite like bud light though ;)

overall a decent macro lager, definitely more flavor than some others out there, and i like the floral hop notes, even if they aren't exactly overwhelming. minimal corn notes, more on the rice side of things. (1,042 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +40.4%

Labatt Blue is a Buffalo favorite. If you were to walk into any bar in Buffalo your sure to find Labatt Blue or Blue Light on tap or in bottles. Labatt Blue pours a light golden yellow with a big foamy head. It has good carbonation and clarity. The aroma is light with rice cereal malts and grassy straw like hops. The flavor is delicate with some sweet cereal malts up front that turn dry with a crisp citrusy bitter finish. "Blue" is light bodied thin and a highly drinkable Canadian pilsner. It's a great beer for watching hockey, [GO SABRES] or as an accompaniment to a traditional Buffalo style fish fry. (609 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +39.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a great change of pace beer when I want to have a cheap full keg to
have in my keggerator . i wouldn't want to have it all the time but once a year
it works for me. BTW I try to only drink beer on draft since draft beer has a better
overall taste. (257 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

A - Average for a macro and the style. Fluffy head that dissapates pretty quick, no real lacing. Light straw color.

S - Not a lot of smell, but whats there is what you would expect. Some grains, hint of hops.

T - Taste is pretty good too me, for what it is anyway. Even balanced for an adjunct. Not a whole lot of flavor, but its balanced pretty well and theres not an overpowering adjunct taste.

M - Slightly above average for a macro, but only slightly. Pretty watery.

D - you could knock these down all night.

An above average macro. Not too bad, but nothing great here by any means. Definitely a Lawnmower beer. (620 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

Let me preface this by saying I live not so far from Detroit, deep in the heart of Red Wing hockey territory, and you just can't get away with living here without chugging a lot of Labatt. I'm very partial to this beer as a constant (read: cheap) drinking buddy.

s- On tap, of course.

a- A pale golden/amber. Just a touch more dignified than domestic swill, and thus the theme is set. Light head fizzles away to nothing.

s- Pretty average. There's some above-average notes of hops and veggies, but just barely. Hop-hounds will slam you for even imagining there are hops here, but they really are.

t- See also, smell. This is actually pretty good for a cheap beer you can pound all night. The bits of hops and veggies mean this beer just screams to be paired with food. Unlike plain domestics (Bud-Miller-Coors), there's taste here to qualify it as more than just water. Not by much, but it's there.

m- Purely average, but that's not so bad. It's certainly above BMC, as there's just that little hint of texture that puts its toes over the line.

d- I tend to prefer my LaBatt one pitcher at a time, all night long. If you're restricted to bottles, you may need two hands. It's always available, it's always cheap, and it's better than the other domestics. Frankly, I like it. (1,280 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +38.5%

This relatively inexpensive Canadian brew really hits the spot for me.

Appearance is very American, nothing exotic. Same goes for smell, but you can almost taste the sweetness with each whiff.

It's got a smoothe taste and is easily drinkable. Just a touch of aftertaste, but nothing bad about it. This is a good beer to eat a meal with, it's not to heavy and cleanses the palate within seconds of the aftertaste.

I like it. (433 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +37%

Color is a little funny, almost a urine color, but who really cares? I really like this beer. I would agree with some who say that there is a "funky" after taste, but it's not horrible. I love the initial taste of this beer, and would recommend it to anyone. (258 characters)

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.