Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 610 | Hads: 1,887
3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

Had this one when I was in Canada, and liked it fine. I even brought home some, yes I paid the duty. It smelled fine tasted good. Its look was average pale yellow. It had a higher alchohol content wich also helpped it.I would drink it again for sure.

3.69/5  rDev +38.2%

I'm not sure how people review beers in this place. Something's not right.

Comparing to American adjuncts it's decent stuff.
Nice maltiness, balanced -- even has a genuine pilsner taste to it.

I'll happily drink this over any of the AAL's.

3.68/5  rDev +37.8%

Tried it because I can't get Blue light anywhere here in Tallahassee. First of all, I don't know why so many people bash this stuff. Appearence is a little darker than alot of macros. Had a 2 inch head, in a pilsner glass, that died fairly quickly. Smell's not that different than any other macro. The beer itself tastes a little more "robust" than Bud, or Miller. Still don't know enough about mouth feel to tell you guys.
I've heard a couple people say this beer will give you a hangover if you drink to many...I'm not willing to find out for myself. Personally I prefer this to Molson Canadian, to me its a little easier to drink...esp when it warms up. All in all a better beer than Bud, Miller, or coors at about the same price.
Can any of you Canadians tell me if it is the same exact brew as you guys get in Canada?

3.67/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Most of us drank cheap beer before we moved on to more interesting and flavorful stuff. This is a very drinkable cheap beer. If I am watching a ball game and I need to pick something that I can drink for several hours without getting sozzled, this is my go-to. No, the taste isn't intriguing or deep, but I don't always want to drink beer that is intriguing and deep. Blue is refreshing and has a nice flavor. It's not in the same class as more expensive beers but it doesn't aspire to that class nor should it.

3.62/5  rDev +35.6%

I had this on tap in minnesota was pleasantly suprised!

pours deep golden with a 1" white head. Good head retention & lacing

Smell: Slight fruit notes, not much else

Taste: Clean & malty with a slight fruitiness. Finished pretty malty

MF: Good balance & carbonation

Pretty darn drinkable. Was skeptical, so I had 2 more. This was tasty. I would say this beer must need to turn quick to stay in form, but maybe it just hit the right notes that evening

3.62/5  rDev +35.6%

Time and temperature, that has got to be what it is. I have read all the reviews for this beer and only a few fit what I was drinking. Time from the brewing company, days, weeks, years, and the temperature the beer is consumed at. The six pack I picked up tonight was rather good.

First impression was wow, this tastes a bit like Bass Ale, the taste of gypsum and diacetyl (butterscotch) just a bit, with a faint hint of Killeans, the taste of peat moss. This first impression stayed with me for two beers, as the beer moved closer to room temp, all of the neat flavor left, darn. The rest of the beer had that water like quality I had read in some of the reviews for this beer. I for one, like to drink beer at room temp and enjoy the harsher flavor, but this beer is paradoxical, the warmer it gets, the softer it tastes.

Right now I am chilling down the last beer to see if I can get that wow taste back...

3.6/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As "American Macro Lagers" go, this one is a pleasant anomaly. I have tried to find something besides AB/M/C products that I could have around the house for my less adventurous beer drinking friends. This one seems to fit the bill because it's a name they recognize and it's one I'll actually drink from time-to-time.

Pours nice, slightly hazy gold with a fluffy head that stays briefly through the first sip or two. The smell is almost non-existent (which is a good thing for some macros) but there is a hint of clean malt in the nose. It seems to be slightly more of a mouthfeel than most macros... but it may just be that I hoped it would feel that way. Regardless, the taste is clean malt, with just enough hops to provide a delicate bitterness that makes Labatt Blue very drinkable and refreshing.

Not bad. Not my "regular" beer, but not bad at all. I can't wait for summer to mow the lawn and enjoy one of these.

3.6/5  rDev +34.8%

This is brewed in my hometown of London Ontario where you can buy it fresh from the brewery. Drinking it fresh definately helps the flavour.

Out of the can it pours a clear pale yellow with a small head and no lacing

Aroma is light and dominated by malt with minimal hops.

Taste follows from the nose and is very typical adjunct lager. Nothing really to complain about though, malt forward with a pleasant bitter and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very high carbonation

3.58/5  rDev +34.1%

I poured this average everyday beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was very beercolored. The beer had no head at all and looked flat. The smell was a little like pee. Othere thanthat the beer was good.. It had a nice clean taste if you held your breath and was pleasant enough to drink. i will buy again.

3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

Labatt Blue is right in the middle of beers with expense and flavor. If I don't want to spend a ton of money and have a beer that I can always drink whether it's out to dinner or at a bar, Blue is it. First the USA headquarters is in Buffalo so I have a little hometown pride.

Labatt does a good job at making a beer that is good to drink, has a slightly sweet hoppy feel to it, and goes down crisp and smooth. When drinking its rival Molson Canadian, I find that, that is too nutty/grainy tasting.

When watching hockey or just sitting after a day of work and classes Blue is normally a good choice. And if I don't wanna get drunk on something that is too horrible to stomach, Blue is also my choice.

3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

Appearance- light golden yellow with a perfect white foamy head, slight carbonation on the glass

smell- corn grain and hops, not overwhelming but pleasant refreshing odor leaves you wanting first taste

Taste- slight malts and grains, decent bitter hop finish crisp light and refreshing flavor, very well balanced lager, enjoyable overall, refreshing as a macro lager can be

Mouthfeel- light thin bodied and easily palatable to drink, good slamming brew

Drinkability- Very highly drinkable, so refreshing crips and enjoyable a good example of the lager style, worth a try, OH CANADA!

3.52/5  rDev +31.8%

Appearance: I don't actually know...I've only had these from cans.
Smell: Slightly metallic with some malty sweetness.
Taste: Wow, totally not what I was expecting. Starts off bitter, much stronger than a regular american macro and finishes with some light sweetness. Hops are very present.
Mouthfeel: Not bad at all, pleasant carbonation. I wouldn't say that this is a "full bodied" beer but there is definitely something there.
Drinkability: Very easy...I could drink one after another. For what it is worth, this is a decent beer. I would hardly say that it is the best out there however if you are looking for a cheap beer with a decent taste this is the way to go. I'd also recommend eating it with some sort of beef.

3.52/5  rDev +31.8%

I like this beer. Smell is grainy, a bit sweet. Appearence is pretty typical of N. American lagers. Medium to light yellow, minimal head. Taste is good. Goes down smooth with a little bit more bite than US Lagers which I find enjoyable. You can drink this beer all nite long and not go wrong. Best for watchin hockey, the Canucks know what they're doing when it comes to beer (and hockey)!

3.51/5  rDev +31.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz. bottle. The beer pours a light gold, without forming any kind of head or lacing. The aroma is a suprise. Considering it is a macro-lager style, there are actually hints of hops on the aroma. The taste is a little more flavorful than your typical American macro lager. Not by much, but there are hints of hops and malts in the taste. The mouthfeel is also a little bit thicker for the style. A very drinkable lager. Overall, I was impressed. This is a step up from from the usual BMC lager. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

The foam was light wheat in color and dissapated quickly. The color was deep golden yellow with some amber highlights. The taste had a balance of hops and wheat, a fruity and flowery undertones with a bit of tartness and end. Mouthfeel - medium to light bodied with a smidgen of dryness. Drinkability - smooth, somewhat dry and a little bitter. Ok session.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Mason jar, golden color with a small fast fading white head leaving some nice lace as I sipped it down. Aroma was a simple Adjunct Lager with a touch of sweetness, flavor followed with a sweetness that put a step above just OK. Ice cold while doing whatever would work with this beer, it has history and that's alright. Not a bad brew overall.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Pours a light yellow with a big foamy white head.

The smell is a very slight hop/malt mix. It doesn't smell offensive compared to other AAL's

The taste is a bit of malt and hops that finishes crisp and clean.

The mouthfeel is clean, medium bodied and highly carbonated.

Can easily, and many times have, pound back quite a few of these a night. This is my go-to AAL.

3.47/5  rDev +30%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Decent white head. Clear yellow colored body.

Smell: Smell of pale malts. No skunk, no hops. It actually smells really good, I'm surprised.

Taste: Taste is of pale malts. No hops are present. Kind of a metallic taste.

Mouthfeel: Watery mouthfeel, but that's par for the course.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable. This might be my new go to beer for places that have bad beer selections.

3.46/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden amber, about a finger of white head that dissipates pretty quickly, not much lacing.

S - Malts, alcohol, hops. Beer.

T - Malts, alcohol, toastiness, a certain chewy muskiness (a good word someone else here used) that I would use to describe beers such as this or Molson, Black Label, etc.

M - Not too bad, actually. Dry without too much of a macro kick. Medium-high carbonation and satisfactory aftertaste.

O - Pretty good. One of the best adjuncts/macros.

3.46/5  rDev +29.6%

As far as adjunct lagers go, this is a better one. Great appearance with color and head. Nose is a weak spot though with some cereal grain and hint of canned veggies, but the flavor on the palate is a decent malty-grainy taste with balance of hops to make it have some overall flavor worth enjoying. Too many adjunct lagers seem designed to have as little flavor as possible, but this one is more flavor forward and a decent flavor. If I was a regular adjunct drinker, then this would be in my fridge fairly often.

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

Picked up an 8 pack from the Musquodoboit Harbour NSLC for the years first fishing trip.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow straw colour with a fluffy bone white cap. Settles a bit slowly to a thin layer, leaves a little lace.

Aroma: Very sweet, honey, grass, corn, possibly some light floral hops.

Taste: Mostly Kellogg's Corn Flakes. Sweet and grainy, some hops, not much. Low bitterness, not much at all in the finish.

Mouthfeel: I guess this is where it becomes a 'pilsner'. Somewhat soft, not as much carbonation comparable macros.

Final Statement: This last one poured into a pils glass at home was no where near as enjoyable as the 7 I drank from the can on the lake. I guess there's just something about throwing cans of beer in a rucksack and drinking them in the wilderness. Regardless, this is one of the better macros, and its filled with memories of watching Labatt Blue Jays Baseball as a kid, so I go to it every so often for certain occassions. I'm reviewing it as a macro lager, but a macro lager is still a macro lager so I can't exactly give it 5's even though its one of the better ones.

3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

A crystal clear golden body rests below a short, creamy, bright white head. The retention is limited, and it shortly drops to a thin surface covering; although it does leave some thin streaks and spotty lace. The nose offers a twist on the generic beer aroma with the addition of some mild, hay-like graininess; a touch of fruitiness; and some very "background" hops. The body is light/medium ; and its crisp in the mouth with a vibrant carbonation. The flavor delivers a thin, sweetish, obviously adjunct-laden (there's no real grain flavor present) malt that's balanced by a firm bitterness. It finishes clean and dry with little residual aftertaste. It's not a bad mass-produced lager by any means. In fact, it's probably one of the better ones. But the slightly elevated hop bitterness leaves me wanting more, and it's just not there. No real hop aroma, no hop flavor, no real graininess. Crisp and well-balanced, but lacking in character.

3.41/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very pale yellow, more so than Molson in my opinion. Also lots of carbonation at first, then it goes away.

Smell: Sweet, in a weird way. Kind of piney. Not gross, but not like beer. Very odd.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Also kind of sweet and piney. Neither hoppy nor very malty. Kind of watery and sticky as well, but it's above-averagely smooth.

Drinkability: The watery texture makes it drinkable, but the taste makes it average.

Overall: My overall grade for this will probably leave the impression that I don't like this beer. That's not true thought. However given the grading criteria, Labatt Blue is an average beer, much in line with BMC products. It probably tastes better, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. There are good domestic alternatives.

3.41/5  rDev +27.7%

1/2 inch fizzy white head that slowly dissipates to a collar around the top. Lots of bubbles rising to the surface. Clear, sparkling pale gold body with good lacing. Hint of corn? in the aroma. Initial medium bitter flavor, with a light short finish. Watery, light to medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Good lawn mower beer.

3.4/5  rDev +27.3%

A decent example of the style that is more drinkable than others.

Pours a typical straw yellow with a white head that receeds somewhat quickly. Smells of blunt corn and mild hops. The taste has almost no bitterness and is mostly muted malts and corn. Still the flavors are blended well enough to make a smooth and crisp beverage. Slight corny sweetness in the finish and the alcohol is pretty well hidden. This beer taste a lot less watered down and processed than the BMC beers. Overall it's a lousy style of beer and Labatt made the best of it. A refreshing brew when one drinks cold.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.