Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 605 | Hads: 1,864

Eye Candy: Transparent straw yellow.

The nose knows: Let Blue warm, then smell it. It smells like vomit in a bottle.

Tongueland: The taste gives me the creeps. I actually have gagged while drinking Blue.

Bender Factor: Blue light is a better alternative, Molson Canadian is the best choice. Everyone here in Buffalo thinks that Blue is the the sheezy, I say it makes me queasy. Labatt Blue is a sad excuse for a beer. It should be put out of it's misery. I feel bad for Canadian citizens who are exposed to Blue on a daily basis. (539 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -61.9%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a faint corn smell, not much of a beer aroma.
Appearance- A god awful faint yellow with a very small white head.
Taste- uhhmm, horrible is a good word for this beer. barely resembles a beer flavor.
Palate- When the palate category is the highest rated on a beer that should say enough. I can choke it down and it stays down.
Overall- I haven't had Labatt Blue in 25 years and i remember it being more shall we say drinkable. I don't know if my taste buds changed or if they tinkered with the recipe but this is terrible. (580 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -60.7%

Labatt Blue is a very clear, very pale straw colored lager with a thin white head. The aroma is of cardboard and fusel oil. There may be a dusting of grassy hops in the nose. Very light bodied and watery in the mouth. It's like water except that water isn't a touch gritty. It tastes like chemicals. I would not identify this as beer in a blind taste test. Holy crap! This is worse than I expected it to be! There is a touch of sweetness at the end... then that poison flavor lingers. Did I get a bad bottle? This is intolerable!
(rated (536 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -58.9%

From my brother-in-law's fridge. Offensive and detestable on every level. Carbonated brake fluid with infused mushroom juice -- that just about sums up this putrid macro swill. I can't remember any beer that has ever brought to the point of anger after consuming it. This one nearly has. Labatt Blue...a Canadian icon...a national shame. (337 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -52.6%

If I were a Canadian eager to prove my country is not "the 51st State," I'd be ashamed to see the maple leaf on this product. It's just all the worst aspects of the standard American "beer." Pale, pale colour--but that is what the style calls for, so a few points there. Plenty of adjunct to assure as little actual flavour as possible. Unless the malt and hops are so well balanced they cancel each other out, like matter and antimatter... nah. The company claims this beer has a "fruity character;" since when are corn and rice fruit? (536 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -52.6%

On-tap 2/23/07 at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a medium white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of skunky corn and other adjuncts, some malt almost no hops.

T: Flavors of grain and corn are the most prevalent with a little bit of macro sweetness. The malt character is very thin and there's not much of a hops presence either. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Not crisp and not smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, dry and clean finish.

D: Not tasty at all, the fact that it's not filling is about the only good thing I can say about it. I definitely would not drink it again. (745 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -49.6%

Presentation: At the local hockey playoff night, I had it in can and on-tap. Labatt Blue had the reputation of the best-selling beer in Canada a few years ago. Also, that's what you usually got when you order draught pitchers. :(

Appearance: The clear and yellow color is ok. The head was average. A white foamy head lasts on top for a few minutes.

Smell: I didn't smell much. No smell on-tap and a very light one in can. Not exceptionnally good...

Taste: Awful. Pilsner? I would call it an bad adjunct macro.

Mouthfeel: Acid. I felt my tooth feelings melting down. I try to keep it positive, but it is hard to give quality.

Drinkability: I always try to avoid Blue. I rather go with Bud before Blue. Also, Blue is very risky for hangover. (755 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -48.1%

Hmm, what to say that hasn't already been said. I recall a time when I actually liked this, and thought it was better then your standard BMC. Maybe it was that appeal of it being an import and all that ice they use in the marketing. Having it again after all these years, and it is just a standard, terrible American (Canadian) Adjunct lager, and although many would claim it is somehow better than your standard BMC, I just don't taste it... Seriously, why even bother drinking this... (486 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -46.3%

On tap at a Celtics game 4/20/06. Served in a 16oz plastic cup.

This beer is absolutely atrocious. There is no flavor to it whatsoever. It is like drinking flat, flavorless soda. I would take Bud over this any day of the week. It is truly repulsive due to its absolute lack of flavor. (287 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -46.3%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--Egg white head that quickly disappears. Straw yellow body.

S--Strong sulfur smell. Watery smell.

T--Faint malt. No perceptible hops. Mineral sulfur taste.

M--thin

D--Just not very good even for this style. Bud of the North. (278 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Very light in texture and flavour, slightly sweet, short finish, very watery, and slightly chemically finish, its obvious that they use the cheapest ingredients possible, not good at all. (187 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Standard fare macro brew that many people I know are quite fond of. Pours out light yellow with little to no aroma to speak of.

The mediocre nature continues with the flavour, very light, slightly sweet but watery (though not *quite* as bad as American macros) and completely unremarkable.

I'll take Labatt over American macros, but that's certainly not saying much. (372 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not a beer that thrills me. First off...I have to admit that of Canada's two mega-breweries, I have generally supported Molson. In fact, I've only tried three Labatt products. Labatt Blue, John Labatt Classic, and Labatt Copper (you all remember Labatt Copper don't you? 1995? National campaign which had Copper X and Copper Y and beer drinkers voted which was their favourite? and the winner lasted all of 5 months in beer stores). Anyway, I digress. Blue is supposedly Canada's beer of choice. The aroma was malty, but dissipated quickly. The colour was a very pale yellow with a slight head. The mouthfeel was very watery suggesting that if you enjoy the flavour, you can probably down these by the case. The flavour was nothing to write home about as it too was watery with only slight malt tones. All in all a forgettable beer. (832 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured a straw yellow with a 1" head composed of very cheap bubbles which quickly dissipated and left no trace of head at all. Mildy sweet with almost no taste at all. Really about as boring a beer as you can get.

Years ago before I was into drinking and beer I asked a bartender for a good beer I should try. He said Labatt Blue, and I didn't notice anything wrong with it at the time. I know now one of several things were going on a) I was being hazed as a new drinker or a newbie to that bar, or b) He had some Labatt Blue he was having trouble getting rid of, or c) He was an idiot. Guess I'll never really know which one it was. (635 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

11.5 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint. Solid two finger head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Very pale yellow color with minimum carbonation.

Smell has thin wet grass aroma. Taste is a thin cereal body. You can tell then main ingredient is rice.

Thin watery mouthfeel. Canadian macro at it's worst. (307 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Meh.

I heard a lot about Labatt being better than other macros? Uh...

I don't think it's all that great. Maybe on tap? I dunno I will give it another chance I think. Pours piss golden, light foamy head that quickly dissipates. Smells like skunk. Tastes like a dirty macro, swilly. I'd drink it if I had some nice greasy food with it :). (342 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured from 11.5 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an extremely light golden, borderline clear, with a two-finger white head that dissipates into zero. No lacing on the glass to speak of.

Smell: Metal, adjuncts, water

Taste: This tastes like a light beer, like a low calorie beer. It's insanely light. Are there even hops in this? All I taste is water and light as hell adjuncts, and grass. Lots of grass.

Mlouthfeel: Light as hell in body, high in carbonation. This is the beer you want if you wanna drink a shit load and get sloshed with beer with zero flavor.

Overall: This is almost alcoholic water. I swear, Miller Lite has more flavor than this. (681 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -41.5%

Reviewed 12/2/2005 (12oz bottle):

Has a slight malty aroma, but not much more than that. And the expectant malty taste follows, with a fizzy palate. Body pours the color of a domestic-yellow, with some fizzy bubbles, very reminiscent of Big Brother beer. (255 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -41.1%

Tastes like spoiled rice. Did not pair well with the barleywine I was drinking at the time. Awful beer. Don't know what it looks like because I drank it out of a can. (166 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle, no freshnesss date noted.

pours clear straw yellow. fizzy white head that vanishes quickly.

Why even pour this into a glass.

Aroma is skunky, cereal and corn.

mouthfeel is watery and flat.

Flavor is grainy with a dry finish.

kinda boring eh. (276 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I remember drinking this in high school, along with Export, Molson Canadian, and Colt 45. I have since come to my senses. Unfortunately this was ordered for me recently at a restaraunt.
it is a bland super pale straw color with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was awol, and lacing was also nonexistent. The smell was of cooked vegetables and corn and chemicals. The taste was of corn and water, hello hops? are you there? *no*. It was cold so in a sense I guess you could say it is refreshing, like water is. This beer is awful and Im convinced people only buy it because of the slick multi-million dollar ads. (610 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -40.7%

This beer caused an instant gag reflex, but I got it down. It has a darker yellow colr than most macro lagers, but this is still a pathetic beer. While it has a small sweet smell, it comes across as corn beer with the minimum amount of grain used to still label it a beer. Plenty of carbonation in this beer from the north, but not much else. (342 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -39.3%

Had Labatt Blue on tap at the Cat's Eye Saloon in Athens, OH. The beer was poured into a plastic cup with very little head. It smelled a little bit skunky; some of that typical macrobrew smell. The taste is not good. Couldn't find any hops or any other good flavors. Had a slight sweetness. Overall, not a good beer for any purpose. (332 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Even when it's a 12 pack for $6 this stuff is hard to swallow.
I've done it before, sure, but I probably won't do it again.
Always tastes and smells a little... off; perhaps skunked but I think it tastes and smells that way when fresh. Maybe they're using moldy ingredients.
Not good.
Not even average.
Blah. (313 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I want to like this but it's just another adjunct beer heavily marketed around here. I guess moderate carbonation made the mouthfeel ok and it is not completely offensive when cold. Corn aroma and taste become more pronounced as it warms. Perhaps it gets a gold star for nostalgia sake. (287 characters)

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.