Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Borderline bad, not something I'd want to have to drink that often either even if it was handed to me at a party. A run of the mill cheap American Lager with a funny smell and a bland taste. There are so many other beers, even macro beers, that are better than this.

2.06/5  rDev -22%

Appears fizzy yellow with a bright white head crystal clear body, and the head dwindles instantly as you pour it. Thin scant lacing is strung unvevnly around my pint glass. Aroma strong cereal notes very industrial lager in nature light grain notes with a mineral character with no real hops to speak of. Flavor is even unoffensive crisp and refreshing, definitely a solid option especially when 12 packs are 9.99 at the grocery store. Again American light lager prety boring not much to say no real hop flavor. Mouthfeel is overcarbonated thin water texture to me. Drinkability is alright for what it is, I do have good memories drinking this stuff my freshman year of college up around Erie seemed like this BMC and Yuengling were every where you went to drink.

3.12/5  rDev +18.2%

I poured this from the brown bottle chilled into a mug.

The color is golden and clear with sudsy white head with average bead and spotty lace, carbonation is visible rising rapidly. The smell is dull and lightly herbal scented with almost grassy odor with low malt and no yeast in the aroma with faint pils odor. The feel is moderatley highly carbonated with low sweetness and slight dry feel with light creaminess and very mild bitterness with finish dry for the most part.

The flavor has light malt up front slightly obscured by the highly carbonated quality with gentle hop balancing the light sweetness w/out any real depth or complexity in taste. Overall a pretty bland lager, just ok without any real noticeable flaws in the flavor department, not recommended based on enjoyment -it isn't bad per se, unless you expect the taste of malt or hops.

3.62/5  rDev +37.1%

I had this on tap in minnesota was pleasantly suprised!

pours deep golden with a 1" white head. Good head retention & lacing

Smell: Slight fruit notes, not much else

Taste: Clean & malty with a slight fruitiness. Finished pretty malty

MF: Good balance & carbonation

Pretty darn drinkable. Was skeptical, so I had 2 more. This was tasty. I would say this beer must need to turn quick to stay in form, but maybe it just hit the right notes that evening

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours straw yellow - clear as a bell. A thin white head hangs on a little bit before becoming a vanishing patch.

The smell is of a hint of sweet grain. Inoffensive - clean as a whistle.

The taste is of some sweetness that is somewhat balanced in the finish. Clean, clean and crisp.

Light-bodied - not watery, though - but, fizzy.

The fizziness is pretty big and would get to me after awhile, even for the style, though it manages to keep something of a body. Very clean. Inoffensive. A bit of sweetness hangs on. Not a bad "lawn-mower" beer, though there are others that are cheaper that work just as well for that. Judged in style - could be better, could be much worse. I gave it the same score as Molson Canadian, but would probably take it over that.

2.82/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

11.5 fl oz brown glass bottle with generic label and a branded twist-off pressure cap acquired a part of a 6 pack at my local corner mart and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live as a pilsener.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Mediocre complexion and consistency. Subpar creaminess and frothiness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent copper of average vibrance. No floating yeast particles are visible; it's quite clean. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's a pretty average appearance for the style.

Sm: Sweet malts and corn adjunct. Clean barley. Generic characterless hops.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

A bland boring aroma of average strength. Not real inviting. Meh.

T: Generic sweet malts, corn adjunct, and clean barley. That's about it.

No hop profile, yeast character, or alcohol comes through.

Painfully simple. Boring. Unbalanced. Not a gestalt build - or even a real cohesive one. Lacks complexity, subtlety, nuance, and intricacy. Not an inspired or bold brew. I'm not really enjoying it.

Mf: Smooth, wet, crisp. Light to medium bodied. Okay thickness. Mediocre presence on the palate. Unrefreshing. Average acidity. Overcarbonated.

Texture doesn't really suit the flavour profile all that well.

Not oily, gushed, hot, astringent, boozy, harsh, or rough.

Okay presence on the palate.

Dr: A downable beer in this style. I'm not horribly impressed, but I do like it for what it is. I doubt I'd get it again, but you could do worse in this style. This bottle will be easy to kill. This is about as average as they come, but I do want to point out that the price point and availability are both excellent. Pedestrian.

Low C

3.08/5  rDev +16.7%

The beer pours a very light golden golden with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is terrible. It is weak and watery. It has breadlike qualities and seems a bit musty. The taste is watery and simplistic. It has little malt complexity and flavor. The mouthfeel is perfect. It has a bunch of carbonation. This is a very low bodied beer. It is very drinkable despite all it's shortcomings. This was my first favorite beer. I drank more than my fair share of this beer in my late teens and early twenties.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a bottle at The Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation and some light hints of bright yellow. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: There are light to moderate aromas of slightly sweet malts with notes of corn and rice present. Light amounts of grassy hops are present as well.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of slightly sweet malts and mostly adjunct malt flavors - primarily corn with some lighter amounts of rice and grain. Extremely light hints of grassy hops which give it a touch of bitterness in the finish which fades pretty quickly.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: This is a nostalgic beer for me - lots of Labatt Blue was consumed when I was a college student in upstate NY during the early to mid 1990s. Not really any better than I remembered it being but not horrible.

2.42/5  rDev -8.3%

CAN anybody explain why it has taken me 300+ CANs to review this beer in a CAN?!? Well, CAN you? I dedicate this review to one of my former students, Bluette (no last names), who went by "Blue". Blue, this is for you, how do you do? Enough!

This is a prime example of Stone's "fizzy yellow beers". I could not even finish the pour before the fizzy bone-white head wanted to give up on me. Oh well. Color was a light lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles. Nose was not blue, green or even yellow - it was more brown. Sulfur, if you get my drift. That CAN actually be a good thing in some lagers, but not if adjuncts are involved. As Salty Dog once said, "You homebrewers need to understand - the descriptor 'Fecal' should NOT be used as an adjunct!" Ha! Words to drink by. Mouthfeel was thin for all of that carbonation. Jeez-O, I really feel as if I am missing out here. I refreshed the glass with more beer (I had a 24-oz. CAN to work with) and still did not get any fizz on the tongue. What I did get was that sulfurous nose, but a slight sweetness on the tongue. Maybe I should just hold my breath when I drink this. Or better yet, a clothespin, like I once did as a teenager with Stroh's (I REALLY disliked the original recipe as a kid, who knows what it is now)! That was actually better! It had the adjunct qualities that I now recognize immediately, but for the style, it was about par for the course. The nose, on the other hand ... Finish was slightly dry, unobtrusive, another dime-a-dozen macro adjunct lagers. Oh well. I still remember my first - liberty in Vancouver during Expo 1986 at a strip joint. It was much better then.

2.45/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Big white head settles slowly above a clear bright golden colored beer.

Very light aroma of some pale grains.

A very light washed out grain malts taste.

Dryish aftertaste that stays around a while with this light bodied beer.

This beer seems like a lighter very of PBR.

2.07/5  rDev -21.6%

The old Blue...I got a free can at the in-laws and decided to try it out, since I haven't had it in about 7 years.
Appears a light straw gold with a small white head that dies off quickly. Lots of carbonation streams rise to the top.
Smell is of carapils, and munich malts, along with Napa cabbage and aluminum.
Taste is of the same but with a bad metallic taste that isn't appealing at all.
Mouthfeel...all metal baby.
Forget it. I had to try it out for old times sake.

2.88/5  rDev +9.1%

12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours a light yellow-gold with an ample off-white head. The head is nicely creamy but reduces to a thin ring and very thin 'islands' within minutes. Medium+ carbonation is visible.

S - The nose is about as expected: weak, tainted by adjuncts, and little influenced by hops. It isn't bad, however, with no real off-odors.

T - Labatt Blue's flavor is definitely on the lighter end of the scale for lagers. It does have enough flavor to spark a clear sensation of sweet grains followed by a very mildly bitter finish. The clean finish leaves a reasonably durable impression of malt with a more ephemeral impression of hops.

M - crisp in the mouth with a rather thin body.

O - No real negatives other than the lack of substance.

1.86/5  rDev -29.5%

Wow, I didn't expect it, but it makes sense in hindsight. This tastes worse than it's light version. I guess the additional flavor is more than it can handle. If you're going to drink this beer, I guess the key is to not let it warm up at all. Chilled, its plain and sweet, but all sorts of nasties come out with warmth.

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

1.69/5  rDev -36%

On-Tap at a party, this is a short review because there is not much to write about.

A- Light gold with yellow mixed in. A minimal sparse white head that faded quick like a bunny. No lacing.

S- Sorry, this smells like old corn with old expired knock off malt. These are all extremely light. Nothing more to see here.

T- Labatt is the most "carbonated water" tasting macro that i've ever had. No hops come out at all. Corn and malt. This really does not have a distinguishable taste, it's carbonated water no more no less.

M- Very crisp and light but not refreshing. This is also highly carbonated and it almost hurt my mouth when I attempted to sip it. I expected a smoother ride with the light nature of this style.

D- Not so much, could not finish my glass, I watered the nearby flowers with the rest of my ounces of this, hopefully they dont die.

3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Sampled on-draft in Montréal, and poured into a 16 ounce mug. On to the beer:

The appearance of this beer is a pale gold topped by a white soapy head. The nose brings to the mind the smell of grains. It's sweet as well. Up to this part, it sound like another copycat adjunct lager, but the taste, while only decent, is delightfully different; a kiss of hops sticks out of this beer. Sweet corn and diacteyl play the other end of the specturm. The feel is smooth and slick. A small leftover of diacteyl spills over in the aftertaste.

The experience got better as I creeped along this beer, perhaps I got used to the adjuncts. There are imports in the US which are worse and more expensive than this. But remember (Americans) I sampled mine in Canada where it's considered domestic beer.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.