Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.68/5  rDev +39.4%

I had this on tap in minnesota was pleasantly suprised!

pours deep golden with a 1" white head. Good head retention & lacing

Smell: Slight fruit notes, not much else

Taste: Clean & malty with a slight fruitiness. Finished pretty malty

MF: Good balance & carbonation

Pretty darn drinkable. Was skeptical, so I had 2 more. This was tasty. I would say this beer must need to turn quick to stay in form, but maybe it just hit the right notes that evening

06-07-2006 03:45:51 | More by russpowell
Padron4KM

Arizona

1.6/5  rDev -39.4%

12 oz bottle, no freshnesss date noted.

pours clear straw yellow. fizzy white head that vanishes quickly.

Why even pour this into a glass.

Aroma is skunky, cereal and corn.

mouthfeel is watery and flat.

Flavor is grainy with a dry finish.

kinda boring eh.

05-20-2006 06:15:54 | More by Padron4KM
rhythmguitartz88

2.13/5  rDev -19.3%

apearance: yellow, head was average

Smell: the smell did not make par...thats it really

Taste: one word; water... not exactly what I'm into

Mouthfeel: fizz + water taste = seltzer

Drinkability: i would recomend it for a frat party otherwise i would keep away

05-16-2006 04:23:33 | More by rhythmguitartz88
nlmartin

2.55/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $0.89 for a single. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer is a pale straw yellow coloration. The head was short lived off white.

Smell: There is a bit of sweet corny cereal peaking its head out. There is not much else going on here with the smell.

Taste: The beer is corny sweet with a quick bitter twang of hops. This is pretty dam one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: This beer is thin and watery. There is not much in the nature of smell or taste.

Drinkability: Hey did I mention this beer is watery and non-offensive. A person could suck these down all day. The beer is not terrible but I would only drink this again if it was free and nothing else was available.

04-24-2006 14:26:49 | More by nlmartin
edchicma

3.1/5  rDev +17.4%

Straw yellow in color, good initial head...kind of like colored water. Smells of corn and vegetables, still not skunky like some I've tried. Taste is similarly mainly corn, with some bitterness in the finish. I had this in my sunroom...where it was hot, so it was very refreshing. Mouthfeel is light, fairly smooth. Very easy to drink, good on a hot day. I definitely prefer the better brews, but this would defintely be a good lawnmower beer.

04-21-2006 13:46:59 | More by edchicma
bignick

1.4/5  rDev -47%

On tap at a Celtics game 4/20/06. Served in a 16oz plastic cup.

This beer is absolutely atrocious. There is no flavor to it whatsoever. It is like drinking flat, flavorless soda. I would take Bud over this any day of the week. It is truly repulsive due to its absolute lack of flavor.

04-20-2006 04:11:08 | More by bignick
bozebus17

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a straw yellow with a small white head that doesn't last long. I would describe the scent as being "grassy." Tastes a little better than your average macro-lager with a hint of malt and some hops bitterness. Finishes crisp with little after-taste. The mouthfeel is thin but it is quite a drinkable beer.

Call it a triple-last resort beer, it isn't terrible. It can actually be quite refreshing in some circumstances, (think a hot sunny day at the ballpark).

04-11-2006 22:45:00 | More by bozebus17
chrisms86

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Has a thin yet consistent mouthfeel, unlike many macros the carbonation isn't overpowering. Weak taste, a bit hoppy but not much else there. Due to this weak taste and thin consistency it is very asy to drink. Not a bad beer if you're not looking to shell out the cash for a microbrew, but for a couple more bucks one could get an 18 pack of American Macro rather than a halfrack of this. I don't see much of a quality difference between the two.

04-01-2006 21:53:50 | More by chrisms86
shbobdb

Indiana

1.65/5  rDev -37.5%

Holy Houseparty, this is one foul beer. I would rather drink Bud Light. Heck, almost any beer I can think of.
The taste is straight-up adjunct. No redeeming qualities, no malt flavours, just a thin-bodied waste of calories.
Even for an American Macro lager this is a foul, foul beer.

Even for the style, just not a good beer. The only reason I can think the Bros would recommend it is as a lesson in pain and appreciation of much better beers.

03-31-2006 02:23:38 | More by shbobdb
hunteraw

China

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a pale straw color into the glass with a one-finger head and significant carbonation. No lacing whatsoever.

Nose just has a hint of malt, the kind of squeaky clean nose expected from a macro lager. Not much going on.

Tastes a little richer than expected. Sweetness, malt aftertaste, mild hop bitterness on the tongue. I can detect a bit of corn once i get down the glass...

Mouthfeel is thicker than is typical of the style.

For me, the sweetness docks points for drinkability. It'd probably go well with some spicy food, though.

I've had this in Canada before and I swear it tasted better there....

03-19-2006 22:07:20 | More by hunteraw
semihobo

3.18/5  rDev +20.5%

From an 1/8th barrel at home, although I've had quite of few of these before.

Small patchy head that fades fast. Maybe the clearest beer I've ever seen, the "golden" color is straight out of a commercial. A bubble rises here or there.

Smell is grainy, a little sour, and hey a touch of hops.

Euro lagery mix of adjuncts and some hops, a little skunk in there as well. Maybe even some toasted tastes as well, and kind of sweet. Gets a lot sweeter as it warms.

Very low carbonation, a little fizz in the mouth and then it's done. Okay for the style, though, makes it easier to suck down. I think this is way better than the can carbonation.

I am perplexed. I usually drink cans of this stuff and I don't like it for the style, I have even expressed the thought that other than Corona it is the worst beer-for-the-buck there is ... paying import price for macro swill. Too carbonated, hops just taste skunky, and hard to get drunk off of (which is what I look for in a macro lager). Not the same on the 1/8th barrel, though! Quite a different story. This requires more research and maybe a new review ... for now, the higher rating (this one) stands.

03-15-2006 04:32:27 | More by semihobo
Tallboy

Antarctica

3.23/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance: It pours a piss golden color with a finger or two of fizzy head, that has almost no lacing when poured into my pint glass.

Smell: Close your eyes and think Budweiser.

Taste:crisp and smooth at the start , with noticible hops and somewhat grainy near the end.

Mouthfeel-Smooth like silk going down.no bite...you cant go wrong there.

Drinkability: Hailed by many as the 'King of Beers' of the North. and is quite true in that regard...good or bad.

Overall: I must say it is still rather refreshing for a macro on a hot summer's day.

02-16-2006 05:14:44 | More by Tallboy
Phatz

2.33/5  rDev -11.7%

This review is pretty much the same as a previous review of Labatt Blue on-tap. The main differance is that the apperance and the mouth feel are even more dissapointing from a bottle. The previous review is as follows:

I have to be honest, "back in the day" I used to drink a lot of this stuff. It is cheap and easily accessible and when it is ICE COLD it could be refreshing-ish (when I didn't know better) and it sufficed when the objective was getting drunk. Now, when I drink to think about the beer, I can't believe I used to drink this stuff. I had it tonight on-tap just to see what I'd think of it now; and boy I do not miss those days! It looks average like ever other cheap American-macro lager -- yellow and clear. It has almost no smell at all. The little bit of aroma that you do get is the generic adjunct beer smell of ... whatever it is? It doesn't really smell or taste like malts or like hops? The primary description of this beer is WATERY! and its alcohol. It could be said that it was a balanced taste but the only taste is that of corn water so what is there to balance. Anyway, if you need an easy to find cheepass beer to get drunk with (there are definitely better options but) this one will work. Other than cooking with ... (I can come up with better fall back beers so) there is very little use for this one. True there are worse beers out there but we are not in a hunt for those so I suggest you move on to something more interesting than this.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-11-2006 10:24:11 | More by Phatz
weeare138

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%

The old Blue...I got a free can at the in-laws and decided to try it out, since I haven't had it in about 7 years.
Appears a light straw gold with a small white head that dies off quickly. Lots of carbonation streams rise to the top.
Smell is of carapils, and munich malts, along with Napa cabbage and aluminum.
Taste is of the same but with a bad metallic taste that isn't appealing at all.
Mouthfeel...all metal baby.
Forget it. I had to try it out for old times sake.

01-30-2006 23:38:30 | More by weeare138
xduderx

Tennessee

3.1/5  rDev +17.4%

A = a pale, straw-like yellow with a 1/2" foamy head

S = slight hops and typical NA macro smell

T = a very sweet beer for the style with a slight hops bitterness. Not exactly a "flavorful" beer overall

M = decent mouthfeel with a light body

D = If you're in a bar and the only beers you have to choose between are bud/miller/coors or this, then I'm chosing this every time. I even prefer this over molson.

This is a slightly above average beer and definitely beats most american macros. Bottom line is this beer always tastes A LOT better while watching hockey!!!

01-25-2006 21:43:15 | More by xduderx
Wasatch

Utah

2.45/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a yellow pale color, some carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards. The smell is malty, but skunky. The taste is malty, watery with a dry finish. Light body. Drinkable if given for free. I remember drinking this alot in CA, way better than Bud or Coors though.

01-22-2006 18:38:18 | More by Wasatch
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

OK This is not my standard review. I drink on rare occasions this Macro Larger. All I can say is, it beats Budweiser and Miller for the price paid. It’s a totally clear larger that is a totally clear straw colored larger with little flavor qualities. Might be good just to “drink” with food as a by-product. It does have a light flavor, but not very bold.

01-10-2006 03:48:03 | More by TheEclecticGent
wcdoyle

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

I have to begin by saying I remember this as a different beer, a bit bolder and more flavorful that this tasting. Needless to say, my view has changed. In the macro-lager world I think I’d now walk somewhere else. The head is dense and disappears quickly. Has a strong corn smell. First taste is of sharp corn/alcohol with maybe a hint of hops and malt coming in afterwards. The mouthfeel, however, is actually quite nice. The aftertaste is in the back of the mouth, mostly corn sweetness.

01-04-2006 22:02:52 | More by wcdoyle
MSchae1017

Georgia

1.78/5  rDev -32.6%

This beer was tased in a Pilsner Glass from a bottle.

The beer pours a nice golden color but there is no head or lace. The smell is dominated by corn as is the taste. This is quite overwhelming. It feels overcarbonated and watery. Overall though it is easy to drink compared to others in its style.

01-03-2006 16:08:28 | More by MSchae1017
tgbljb

2.9/5  rDev +9.8%

poured a paule yellow color with abundant white puffy head that quickly fell. Little lacing to be found. Smell is minimal, with only a slight sweetness to be found. Taste is crisp, but very little maltiness or hops to be found. Cold and refreshing and very easy to drink. Refreshing but not much else.

01-01-2006 23:58:30 | More by tgbljb
Applesauce1

1.63/5  rDev -38.3%

Had Labatt Blue on tap at the Cat's Eye Saloon in Athens, OH. The beer was poured into a plastic cup with very little head. It smelled a little bit skunky; some of that typical macrobrew smell. The taste is not good. Couldn't find any hops or any other good flavors. Had a slight sweetness. Overall, not a good beer for any purpose.

01-01-2006 20:44:01 | More by Applesauce1
casualbeerman

This is probably the most dead average beer I've ever had. It's certainly tolerable, but also very obviously unspectacular. Color is dark enough that you probably won't mistake it for Bud or Miller, but not dark enough that you'd ever mistake it for say Pilsner Urquell. Head is a little less foamy than something like Bud, but still not very stable. Smell is of a little bit of grain with the adjunct fortunately towards the background. The hops are pretty light, but at least detectable. Taste is middle of the road too. The grain taste is there, if a little bit light with the adjunct once again just barely detectable. There is a little bit of sweetness balanced out with a little bit of bitterness. It's not a deep flavor, but its stronger than any of the "Big 3", although rather less bitter. And its less funky than either any of them or Rolling Rock. Mouthfeel tends a bit to the light side I could do with a bit less carbonation as well. Drinkability is actually probably above average, (though certainly not a 5), but I have never happened to drink more than one of these at a time and besides which I just think 3's accross the board suit this beer very well. I might have said the same thing about Rolling Rock, but Labatt Blue is really the best macro style I've had. Though its more expensive and less widely available so its not as always around as a fallback while Rolling Rock almost always is. It doesn't do anything majorly wrong, its clean tasting and a safe bet. But it sure doesn't do anything special either. I could probably drink this all night if there was nothing special around, and still enjoy myself. And it'd definately be my choice if I happened to be hosting a bunch of people who really prefer American style Macro brews (not that I know enough people who prefer that style for me to bother). But I sure wouldn't go out of my way to get a Labatt Blue. Though when you consider this is the Canadian equivlent of either Bud or Coors, you've got to give them props for having better tase than the average American. Or the average German or Dutch for that matter (I'd also take a Labatt Blue over their best selling Heineken or Beck's any day)

01-01-2006 06:55:18 | More by casualbeerman
Vancer

2.98/5  rDev +12.9%

On special, $2.50 for a 23oz , so I choose this instead of the other BMC offerings. Canadian Budweiser. Straw yellow, decent white head. No aroma. Typical adjunct *malts* dominate the quaff. Lightly carbonated. Taste has an earthy, bitter finish, but in total it was not something to turn the nose up when offered- for the *style* not bad.

12-16-2005 15:50:16 | More by Vancer
proc

3.08/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours out to a golden color in the glass. It appears to be slightly darker than the average beer of this style. The aroma is of a very faint malt, yet its a fresh, almost sweet smell. The taste is decent. It is somewhat grainy, with a light hop presence that your can actually taste that gives way to a very slight sweetness on the swallow. I can actually taste malt in this, albeit, not much. This is a big seller in my neck of the woods (Detroit) and outsells Bud in many stores. It is one of the cheapies (yes, it sells for less than Bud/Miller/Coors when on sale) that I will go to on occasion.

12-09-2005 13:21:44 | More by proc
Atvar

2.28/5  rDev -13.6%

About the same as other macro lagers IMO. Slightly hoppy and sweet, with a bit of an off taste after a second or so. Gets a lot worse after a few minutes of warming. As far as macros go, it's really not that bad, but I'd probably stick to domestic beers. There's no sense in paying extra for an import of this, it's not any better than bud or pbr IMO. Wasn't bad for a free can that was left by a friend, but not something I'd spend money on.

12-01-2005 23:24:42 | More by Atvar
Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.