Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
nota

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Been drinking beer for only a few years and I have never had a beer from Canada so far. Appearance is a clear gold color with a white head. Not a whole lot of lacing. Thin malt taste, but not unpleasant. A slight amount of hops detected at finish. The Canadian macros is about the same as the American adjunct lagers.

07-11-2005 03:00:04 | More by nota
beerrookie

3.73/5  rDev +41.3%

Tried it because I can't get Blue light anywhere here in Tallahassee. First of all, I don't know why so many people bash this stuff. Appearence is a little darker than alot of macros. Had a 2 inch head, in a pilsner glass, that died fairly quickly. Smell's not that different than any other macro. The beer itself tastes a little more "robust" than Bud, or Miller. Still don't know enough about mouth feel to tell you guys.
I've heard a couple people say this beer will give you a hangover if you drink to many...I'm not willing to find out for myself. Personally I prefer this to Molson Canadian, to me its a little easier to drink...esp when it warms up. All in all a better beer than Bud, Miller, or coors at about the same price.
Can any of you Canadians tell me if it is the same exact brew as you guys get in Canada?

06-30-2005 08:28:43 | More by beerrookie
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a white, 5-finger-head that vanishes quickly leaving traces of lace. Clear, very pale amber color, similar to urine. Light carbonation and light bodied. Nose is faintly skunky. Starts with more malts than hops but sweetness fades to a slight hoppy finish. Slightly more flavor than Blue Light. $1.50 for a 340ml from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

06-16-2005 22:50:30 | More by jdhilt
Frozensoul327

2.35/5  rDev -11%

A decent Canadian import. Poured out to a darker yellow color with a head that wasted no time in fizzing away. Medium carbonation. Odors of adjunts were most noted - corn, grain and hops. Taste had almost a metallic quality, like iron had been dissolved in it. Other flavors of corn and grain were present, as were hops toward the finish. Not a terrible beer, but Canada has so many other better beers. Worth a try.

06-15-2005 20:50:14 | More by Frozensoul327
AlexJ

2.35/5  rDev -11%

Pale straw yellow with a fleeting white head that falls quickly, but not as quickly as most adjunct macros. No lace.

Typical adjunct nose, sweet, grainey, bready, corn. A notion of hops in the rear.

Flavor is all adjunct, corn and grain, flowery hops provide balance.

Light palate with a watery mouthfeel. Did I really used to buy this? I guess I can forgive myself, I was 17!

06-05-2005 16:48:57 | More by AlexJ
soper2000

2.42/5  rDev -8.3%

I haven't had this beer since I was 20, but a Trailer Park Boys marathon spurred me to try it again (check out that show if you haven't seen it, brilliant but crude satire).

Pours a light straw yellow with a head that actually looks decent, it stands about 2 fingers tall and contains no large soapy looking bubbles. Aroma is faint but has that typical macro lager sweet smell. Taste has a faint hop bite (a bit spicy like saaz) but that makes it distinguishable from Bud. Taste fades away very quickly. Mouthfeel and drinkability are ok but not sure how much of this I would want to drink. All and all it's an average macro.

I'm pretty sure this would be a Jim Lahey type beer. If Julian and Ricky went for beer instead of rum or vodka, I'm pretty sure that they would drink O. V. (anyone remember that one? it's not in the dB) or Carling Black.

06-03-2005 23:54:02 | More by soper2000
ZAP

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow my third review of this in different serving styles!!

Light gold color...creamy white head....a little spicy alcohol on the nose...similar to Molson canadian in taste bit lighter tasting overall...crisp mouthfeel..some creamy/corny texture...I'd call it the high side of "light" for body..

Finishes dryer than canadian..bit more bite...not as full flavored...it is what it is...Average

06-01-2005 05:12:08 | More by ZAP
ommegangpbr

1.65/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Even when it's a 12 pack for $6 this stuff is hard to swallow.
I've done it before, sure, but I probably won't do it again.
Always tastes and smells a little... off; perhaps skunked but I think it tastes and smells that way when fresh. Maybe they're using moldy ingredients.
Not good.
Not even average.
Blah.

05-29-2005 04:11:51 | More by ommegangpbr
Higravity

1.58/5  rDev -40.2%

This beer caused an instant gag reflex, but I got it down. It has a darker yellow colr than most macro lagers, but this is still a pathetic beer. While it has a small sweet smell, it comes across as corn beer with the minimum amount of grain used to still label it a beer. Plenty of carbonation in this beer from the north, but not much else.

05-23-2005 14:44:45 | More by Higravity
aquatonex

1.53/5  rDev -42%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Meh.

I heard a lot about Labatt being better than other macros? Uh...

I don't think it's all that great. Maybe on tap? I dunno I will give it another chance I think. Pours piss golden, light foamy head that quickly dissipates. Smells like skunk. Tastes like a dirty macro, swilly. I'd drink it if I had some nice greasy food with it :).

05-03-2005 01:08:15 | More by aquatonex
mynie

Indiana

1.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Take the worst parts of a Bud and a Heineken and this is the beer you come up with.

From both you get the crappy, pale yellow pour with almost no head.

From Bud you get the bland odor of adjunct malt and stomach cramps.

From Heineken you get the nasty, over-processed, pasturized taste of fruit esters and medicine. You ever take Nitrous? It's kind of like that. Processed gas. Only it doesn't make you laugh.

If this beer has anything going for it, it's a decent body which lends itself to an okay drinkability rating. Otherwise avoid.

04-17-2005 07:13:06 | More by mynie
Bighuge

3.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Clear piss yellow tone. Thin off white head. Minimal lace. Aroma is of soft, sweet malts. Nice graininess in the flavor. Also some malt sweetness and noticeable hop presence (for a macro). Mouthfeel isn't nearly as fizzy as most Macros and that's a plus. Body is about medium. This is an agreeable macro brew to ingest.

04-03-2005 04:08:39 | More by Bighuge
Jacobob10

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Had a pitcher of this when we first arrived in Montreal last weekend. Nothing impressive about this beer at all. Clear, light yellow appearance. Dull aroma. Dull flavor. Doesn't excite the palate or even taste smooth for that matter. You could drink a lot of this if you wanted to...if you're in the "I'm at a crappy frat party and I want to get wasted and hit on ugly chicks" mentality.

03-30-2005 14:05:33 | More by Jacobob10
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

1.3/5  rDev -50.8%

Presentation: At the local hockey playoff night, I had it in can and on-tap. Labatt Blue had the reputation of the best-selling beer in Canada a few years ago. Also, that's what you usually got when you order draught pitchers. :(

Appearance: The clear and yellow color is ok. The head was average. A white foamy head lasts on top for a few minutes.

Smell: I didn't smell much. No smell on-tap and a very light one in can. Not exceptionnally good...

Taste: Awful. Pilsner? I would call it an bad adjunct macro.

Mouthfeel: Acid. I felt my tooth feelings melting down. I try to keep it positive, but it is hard to give quality.

Drinkability: I always try to avoid Blue. I rather go with Bud before Blue. Also, Blue is very risky for hangover.

03-29-2005 19:31:29 | More by Barraclou
maek228

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%

This Labatt was fourteen bucks for a twelve pack, which is a huge ripoff. Alot of people I know swear by this beer. I cringe anytime someone extolls it as a "great pilsner". I couldn't disagree more. This beer is as bland as it comes, and it's overpriced to boot. Plus it's Canadien, and who likes Canadiens?

Appearance: A nasty straw yellow with a weak head that disappeared quickly. No cling. Does not look appealing, maybe I shoulda drank this one from the bottle.

Smell: Skunky bland macro-lager smell.

Taste: Carbonated water with some minimal beer flavor. It's kind of crisp, but not nearly as crisp as similar beers like PBR, Miller, and Beast...which are all much cheaper. I'd take just about any beer over this one.

Mouthfeel: Nothing worth mentioning.

Drinkability: Goes down easy....but so many other beers go down easier. Usually when I'm drinking a cheap macro-lager, I start to gain more appreciation for them after I've drank a couple. Not the case with Labatt, it just gets nastier and nastier. The skunkiness of it becomes more pronounced

Conclusion: This beer is a ripoff and couldn't be more overrated. Screw Labatt and it all stands for.

03-26-2005 20:10:13 | More by maek228
Bestuurder

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Labatt's Blue is not a bad beer by many standards, but it is most certainly not a great beer either. The body seems light, yet uninviting with the aroma of sweetness. This beer tends to have too much glucose for my liking. The mouthfeel is rather nice, with small bubbles of carbonation, with a pleasent feel to the palate and roof of the mouth.

There are several draw backs to this beer. First, the aroma is too sweet, almost to the point of borderline bitter, as well as the actually taste of the beer. Though this pint was poured from the tap, it is much more appealing than the Blue you can buy in a bottle or even in a can.

The overall appeareance is rather appealing, with a pleasent straw colouration, and decent head. Sometimes is seems that if poured improperly, the head can be too light and even "fluffy."

Blue is one of those beers in which you could pound back a few and not have to worry, yet it becomes too overpowering to many is drank in too large of quantities. Lets hope this review helps you in your decision. Cheers.

03-14-2005 20:21:53 | More by Bestuurder
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Lucent flax. The bone white head is actually pretty decent. It has a creamy frothiness that one doesn't often see in a beer of this style. Still at two fingers at the several minute mark, it leaves an unimpressive amount of weak, quickly melting lace.

There are no surprises in the nose. It isn't as assertive (and therefore not as bad?) as many other macro lagers. I can appreciate moderately sweet grain with a minor tickle of floral hops. Although it's forgettable, at least I don't cringe as I bring the glass up to my mouth.

Labatt Blue is definitely on the lighter end of the style scale regarding flavor. Again, I'm having trouble thinking of that as a negative. There's very little bitterness, just a barely perceptible bite to go along with the lightly sweet, light corny flavor that is especially noted on the back end. Short, clean finish.

I haven't had one of these in at least a decade, but it used to be my favorite beer. Actually, it was my first favorite beer. Then I discovered Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale and never went back. I don't remember it as being this weak, but then my palate has undergone major changes in the past few years.

I imagine that calling Blue an *American* macro lager pisses off those from the Great White North who can be bothered to be protective about a macro. I would never buy it by the sixer, but as a poundable, 'don't wanna think about it' kind of beer, this stuff ain't bad. It has no real negatives, unless one considers a lack of positives to be a negative.

03-14-2005 00:07:42 | More by BuckeyeNation
ski271

3.2/5  rDev +21.2%

I’ve been drinking a lot of heavier beers lately, and with the weather turning much warmer and spring-like this weekend, I just really craved watered-down crap beer. I knew I didn’t want much of it, and luckily the six pack shop had the 25.3 oz oil cans. Perfect. Enough to satisfy my craving. And satisfy it did.

Appearance: Light yellow beer with a very large, white, frothy head that clings to the glass as it dissipates, leaving nice lacing early.

Smell: eh... not as bad as a lot of the other macro adjuncts, but still pretty bad. Kind of smells like piss, but under that it smell faintly of hay and citrus (I could actually detect hops in an adjunct? Nah I must be dreaming). Not much else there.

Taste: Pretty typical at first. Fizzy water with a slight breadiness. A tiny bit of hops over a very weak malt backdrop. The finish is dry and clean with this small piney tinge well after it goes down.
While I was finishing the beer off, I read the Alström brothers’ reviews. Todd said that “The beer goes tea-like in flavour,” and I just had to say that I never thought or comparing a beer to tea, but he’s dead-on right there.

Mouthfeel: Again, fizzy water. Very light body. Lively carbonation.

Drinkability: For what it is, I think it’s really refreshing. I’ll take this over most A-B, Coors, or Miller products any day.

I know I didn’t give this high ratings at all, but it’s one of my highest ranked adjuncts (the bastardization of beer).

03-06-2005 19:18:35 | More by ski271
ChrisBowers

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Really not a horrible beer for as much crap as some people give it. I'd drink it any day over Bud/Miller/Coors. While not a good beer, its different from other macro crap. Has much more of a hoppier, crisper euro-lager feel to it than BMC swill. Definitely still some corn, etc present but nowhere near as bad as a lot of stuff out there. If you live up north, in VT for instance, it is often also cheap as dirt. I've seen it as low as $2.50 for a 6 pack. Can't argue with that if you're faced with a swill situation.

02-22-2005 21:03:43 | More by ChrisBowers
rowew

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle. Label with "No Preservatives", but not much other information about the beer.

Appearance: Pours completely clear and yellow, with a thin white head. Slight effervesence and a quickly fading head.

Smell: Slightly off - but I'm not sure what it is. Not a whole lot going on at all.

Taste: Crisp, clean, not much else. Very light with almost no finish.

Overall impression: Drinkable - not a bad barbecue beer, but doesn't stand out amongst the other macros. I'd rather have a High Life.

02-16-2005 23:23:22 | More by rowew
BigRedN

Nebraska

2.85/5  rDev +8%

Upon sampling some of Molson's offerings (after news of their big merger with Coors) I decided to try a few other Canadian offerings. Unfortunately here in Lincoln, NE there are few options. Purchased a 12 of this on the weekend. Review is from notes as I put back a few too many.

Appearance: Typical macro (only its Canadian). Light gold, clear, thin head that faded to nothing.

Smell: Some adjuncts, slightly grainy, but nothing stood out.

Taste: OK, best when served cold, like in Canada, eh. That way you don't really taste anything.

Mouthfeel. Light, carbonated, "crisp".

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough, probably because the bottles were 11.2 oz. I purchased a 12-pack of this with a 12 of Moosehead, which cost a dollar less, but in reality I only got about an 11 pack of 12 fl oz bottles. Felt a little cheated.

02-16-2005 04:34:59 | More by BigRedN
Gaisgeil

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Well, not much to say about this one really. Pours a medium golden yellow with a thin head. Nose is very faint, nothing really distinguishable, just a vague and general "beer" scent to it. Taste is very much the same, not a lot to it, but isn't offensive in any way, so it makes a good session beer and isn't something you really think about too much, just a run of the mill macro style lager. Unlike many other macros though, at least this is palatable. This one is very common in my part of the country and tends to be the only real option in standard bars with all macro stuff on tap.

02-13-2005 06:18:41 | More by Gaisgeil
ahking

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

This is a fairly standard Canadian lager. It's very common in southeastern Michigan and usually the best option to order when you're in a "small town" bar. I find it to be rather refreshing all year round and very drinkable. I've drank a lot of it in both the U.S. and Canada (it's different). Well balanced malt and hops. Has almost a creamy mouthfeel. All this being said, I can't say there is anything distinguishable or special about this beer -- just a standard lager.

02-05-2005 02:33:40 | More by ahking
TastyTaste

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium straw color, small white fizzy head. SMell is mostly of adjunct grains, although unskunked, still not very impressive. Taste is relatively devoid of malt or hops, just watery graininess, no better or worse than any of Americas macro lagers. What's the reason for paying more for this stuff again?

02-03-2005 02:27:55 | More by TastyTaste
crookedhalo

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Pale straw color. Minimal head retention. It has a pale malt mash smell to it, but, a bit sewery and sulfury. Hop aroma is a mild skunkiness. I'm not really sure why I'm even reviewing this. Cooked corn is a taste in it's malt profile. Crisp in its mouthfeel because it's very carbonated; too burpy. Light astringency in the finish. Boring and mildly offensive for a pale lager.

01-21-2005 07:08:29 | More by crookedhalo
Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.