Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
Jacobob10

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Had a pitcher of this when we first arrived in Montreal last weekend. Nothing impressive about this beer at all. Clear, light yellow appearance. Dull aroma. Dull flavor. Doesn't excite the palate or even taste smooth for that matter. You could drink a lot of this if you wanted to...if you're in the "I'm at a crappy frat party and I want to get wasted and hit on ugly chicks" mentality.

03-30-2005 14:05:33 | More by Jacobob10
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

1.3/5  rDev -50.8%

Presentation: At the local hockey playoff night, I had it in can and on-tap. Labatt Blue had the reputation of the best-selling beer in Canada a few years ago. Also, that's what you usually got when you order draught pitchers. :(

Appearance: The clear and yellow color is ok. The head was average. A white foamy head lasts on top for a few minutes.

Smell: I didn't smell much. No smell on-tap and a very light one in can. Not exceptionnally good...

Taste: Awful. Pilsner? I would call it an bad adjunct macro.

Mouthfeel: Acid. I felt my tooth feelings melting down. I try to keep it positive, but it is hard to give quality.

Drinkability: I always try to avoid Blue. I rather go with Bud before Blue. Also, Blue is very risky for hangover.

03-29-2005 19:31:29 | More by Barraclou
maek228

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%

This Labatt was fourteen bucks for a twelve pack, which is a huge ripoff. Alot of people I know swear by this beer. I cringe anytime someone extolls it as a "great pilsner". I couldn't disagree more. This beer is as bland as it comes, and it's overpriced to boot. Plus it's Canadien, and who likes Canadiens?

Appearance: A nasty straw yellow with a weak head that disappeared quickly. No cling. Does not look appealing, maybe I shoulda drank this one from the bottle.

Smell: Skunky bland macro-lager smell.

Taste: Carbonated water with some minimal beer flavor. It's kind of crisp, but not nearly as crisp as similar beers like PBR, Miller, and Beast...which are all much cheaper. I'd take just about any beer over this one.

Mouthfeel: Nothing worth mentioning.

Drinkability: Goes down easy....but so many other beers go down easier. Usually when I'm drinking a cheap macro-lager, I start to gain more appreciation for them after I've drank a couple. Not the case with Labatt, it just gets nastier and nastier. The skunkiness of it becomes more pronounced

Conclusion: This beer is a ripoff and couldn't be more overrated. Screw Labatt and it all stands for.

03-26-2005 20:10:13 | More by maek228
Bestuurder

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Labatt's Blue is not a bad beer by many standards, but it is most certainly not a great beer either. The body seems light, yet uninviting with the aroma of sweetness. This beer tends to have too much glucose for my liking. The mouthfeel is rather nice, with small bubbles of carbonation, with a pleasent feel to the palate and roof of the mouth.

There are several draw backs to this beer. First, the aroma is too sweet, almost to the point of borderline bitter, as well as the actually taste of the beer. Though this pint was poured from the tap, it is much more appealing than the Blue you can buy in a bottle or even in a can.

The overall appeareance is rather appealing, with a pleasent straw colouration, and decent head. Sometimes is seems that if poured improperly, the head can be too light and even "fluffy."

Blue is one of those beers in which you could pound back a few and not have to worry, yet it becomes too overpowering to many is drank in too large of quantities. Lets hope this review helps you in your decision. Cheers.

03-14-2005 20:21:53 | More by Bestuurder
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Lucent flax. The bone white head is actually pretty decent. It has a creamy frothiness that one doesn't often see in a beer of this style. Still at two fingers at the several minute mark, it leaves an unimpressive amount of weak, quickly melting lace.

There are no surprises in the nose. It isn't as assertive (and therefore not as bad?) as many other macro lagers. I can appreciate moderately sweet grain with a minor tickle of floral hops. Although it's forgettable, at least I don't cringe as I bring the glass up to my mouth.

Labatt Blue is definitely on the lighter end of the style scale regarding flavor. Again, I'm having trouble thinking of that as a negative. There's very little bitterness, just a barely perceptible bite to go along with the lightly sweet, light corny flavor that is especially noted on the back end. Short, clean finish.

I haven't had one of these in at least a decade, but it used to be my favorite beer. Actually, it was my first favorite beer. Then I discovered Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale and never went back. I don't remember it as being this weak, but then my palate has undergone major changes in the past few years.

I imagine that calling Blue an *American* macro lager pisses off those from the Great White North who can be bothered to be protective about a macro. I would never buy it by the sixer, but as a poundable, 'don't wanna think about it' kind of beer, this stuff ain't bad. It has no real negatives, unless one considers a lack of positives to be a negative.

03-14-2005 00:07:42 | More by BuckeyeNation
ski271

3.2/5  rDev +21.2%

I’ve been drinking a lot of heavier beers lately, and with the weather turning much warmer and spring-like this weekend, I just really craved watered-down crap beer. I knew I didn’t want much of it, and luckily the six pack shop had the 25.3 oz oil cans. Perfect. Enough to satisfy my craving. And satisfy it did.

Appearance: Light yellow beer with a very large, white, frothy head that clings to the glass as it dissipates, leaving nice lacing early.

Smell: eh... not as bad as a lot of the other macro adjuncts, but still pretty bad. Kind of smells like piss, but under that it smell faintly of hay and citrus (I could actually detect hops in an adjunct? Nah I must be dreaming). Not much else there.

Taste: Pretty typical at first. Fizzy water with a slight breadiness. A tiny bit of hops over a very weak malt backdrop. The finish is dry and clean with this small piney tinge well after it goes down.
While I was finishing the beer off, I read the Alström brothers’ reviews. Todd said that “The beer goes tea-like in flavour,” and I just had to say that I never thought or comparing a beer to tea, but he’s dead-on right there.

Mouthfeel: Again, fizzy water. Very light body. Lively carbonation.

Drinkability: For what it is, I think it’s really refreshing. I’ll take this over most A-B, Coors, or Miller products any day.

I know I didn’t give this high ratings at all, but it’s one of my highest ranked adjuncts (the bastardization of beer).

03-06-2005 19:18:35 | More by ski271
ChrisBowers

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Really not a horrible beer for as much crap as some people give it. I'd drink it any day over Bud/Miller/Coors. While not a good beer, its different from other macro crap. Has much more of a hoppier, crisper euro-lager feel to it than BMC swill. Definitely still some corn, etc present but nowhere near as bad as a lot of stuff out there. If you live up north, in VT for instance, it is often also cheap as dirt. I've seen it as low as $2.50 for a 6 pack. Can't argue with that if you're faced with a swill situation.

02-22-2005 21:03:43 | More by ChrisBowers
rowew

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle. Label with "No Preservatives", but not much other information about the beer.

Appearance: Pours completely clear and yellow, with a thin white head. Slight effervesence and a quickly fading head.

Smell: Slightly off - but I'm not sure what it is. Not a whole lot going on at all.

Taste: Crisp, clean, not much else. Very light with almost no finish.

Overall impression: Drinkable - not a bad barbecue beer, but doesn't stand out amongst the other macros. I'd rather have a High Life.

02-16-2005 23:23:22 | More by rowew
BigRedN

Nebraska

2.85/5  rDev +8%

Upon sampling some of Molson's offerings (after news of their big merger with Coors) I decided to try a few other Canadian offerings. Unfortunately here in Lincoln, NE there are few options. Purchased a 12 of this on the weekend. Review is from notes as I put back a few too many.

Appearance: Typical macro (only its Canadian). Light gold, clear, thin head that faded to nothing.

Smell: Some adjuncts, slightly grainy, but nothing stood out.

Taste: OK, best when served cold, like in Canada, eh. That way you don't really taste anything.

Mouthfeel. Light, carbonated, "crisp".

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough, probably because the bottles were 11.2 oz. I purchased a 12-pack of this with a 12 of Moosehead, which cost a dollar less, but in reality I only got about an 11 pack of 12 fl oz bottles. Felt a little cheated.

02-16-2005 04:34:59 | More by BigRedN
Gaisgeil

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Well, not much to say about this one really. Pours a medium golden yellow with a thin head. Nose is very faint, nothing really distinguishable, just a vague and general "beer" scent to it. Taste is very much the same, not a lot to it, but isn't offensive in any way, so it makes a good session beer and isn't something you really think about too much, just a run of the mill macro style lager. Unlike many other macros though, at least this is palatable. This one is very common in my part of the country and tends to be the only real option in standard bars with all macro stuff on tap.

02-13-2005 06:18:41 | More by Gaisgeil
ahking

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

This is a fairly standard Canadian lager. It's very common in southeastern Michigan and usually the best option to order when you're in a "small town" bar. I find it to be rather refreshing all year round and very drinkable. I've drank a lot of it in both the U.S. and Canada (it's different). Well balanced malt and hops. Has almost a creamy mouthfeel. All this being said, I can't say there is anything distinguishable or special about this beer -- just a standard lager.

02-05-2005 02:33:40 | More by ahking
TastyTaste

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a medium straw color, small white fizzy head. SMell is mostly of adjunct grains, although unskunked, still not very impressive. Taste is relatively devoid of malt or hops, just watery graininess, no better or worse than any of Americas macro lagers. What's the reason for paying more for this stuff again?

02-03-2005 02:27:55 | More by TastyTaste
crookedhalo

2.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Pale straw color. Minimal head retention. It has a pale malt mash smell to it, but, a bit sewery and sulfury. Hop aroma is a mild skunkiness. I'm not really sure why I'm even reviewing this. Cooked corn is a taste in it's malt profile. Crisp in its mouthfeel because it's very carbonated; too burpy. Light astringency in the finish. Boring and mildly offensive for a pale lager.

01-21-2005 07:08:29 | More by crookedhalo
cooter

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer is my sacred cow of macros...if I have to drink shit beer, this one's my pick, hands down, every time. I am now on a quest to find out why, phenomenologically (I'm a philosophy major. Insert I-have-no-job joke.) I feel weird pouring it into a proper glass, and my fears are confirmed. The adjunct odor (fumes? stench) is like steam out of a gutter grate, about as strong as the strongest-smelling floral Belgians I've had. Hit me from a goddamn foot away, I swear. I gave it a wicked pour, massive 1.5 inch head...and it died instantly into a mere dusting. It's clear as hell, with mediocre carbonation and the color of...um...well, urine, but that's vague. Orange-peach-yellow? Whatever.

Lacing sucks.

Smells like adjunct and another kind of adjunct and the faintest hint of real malt smoothness in there; that tart, peppery smell. Tastes like adjunct and sickening syrup. Carbonated fake maple syrup? Not much taste to speak of. There's malt, and fake malt, and I swear a hint of a taste I seriously want to call "blue." God, the aftertaste is the bitter-beer face of advertising infamy, and it's not hops, but rather a coating of the mouth in a grainy...blech.

But it doesn't make me choke, or vomit from taste (as opposed to sustained imbibing). It retains...1/20 of a head, which is better than some. And it's smooth, somewhat, in a depressing way similar to its doormat of a texture (which is just think enough to remind you this is beer, but not enough to make you taste too much). Sorry to be so negative, because I really do enjoy this beer for drinking games. But I think it's a total failure for really tasting, as opposed to swigging from a bottle or chugging whole.

01-20-2005 06:53:33 | More by cooter
Gagnonsux

3.05/5  rDev +15.5%

This isn't so bad for the style. The taste is crisp, grainy, and clear. This a little fuller in flavor than expected too. Aroma and appearance are about average for an adjunct lager. I'd recommend this over the Big 3 any day. This isn't a great beer, but if you're gonna have a simple, mainstream lager you can do far worse than Labatt Blue.

01-09-2005 09:06:17 | More by Gagnonsux
mhowell

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Football beer. Pale yellow color, thin head, thinner body, no smell to me, OK taste. Really faint malty taste. Sampled this straight from the 5000 cu. ft refrigerator (garage) at about 50°. Better than any of the big three IMO. My choice for Sunday swilling.

12-31-2004 18:22:12 | More by mhowell
bearrunner44

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

It's your basic macrobrew. The smell and taste is very similar to Budweiser- thin and corny with lots of carbonation. The finish is a little bit more malty than Budweiser and the smell isn't quite as strong (a good thing, considering Budweiser's less-than-pleasant aroma). It's not awful as far as adjunct lagers go, but a 6-pack of Labatt Blues costs about the same as a 6-pack of Samuel Adams Boston Lager at most of the places I shop. I'll take Samuel Adams over Labatt Blue any day of the week.

12-28-2004 23:25:26 | More by bearrunner44
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev +17.4%

Looks and tastes like an "adjunct lager" should - yellowish color, bubbly foam that quickly disappears. Aroma not bad, but not good either - grainy smell. Bubbly throughout which gives it a light crisp mouthfeel. Clean finish, no after taste. Easy to drink, generic canadian beer. Personally, I prefer it over Molson's.

11-26-2004 04:55:00 | More by BigBry
alexgash

Connecticut

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

Yellow as a Manitoba hay field, with a thin, wispy white head.
Smells of cereal malt; kind of like Rice Chex with sugar on top. Lean hop aromas detectable.
Palate is typical standard pale adjunct lager. Sweetish, corny, clean, with very modest hop bitterness. There’s more malt taste and more hop presence than in most BMC adjunct lagers, but not much more. Mouthfeel is fizzy, and light bodied. Not good, but not bad. I must admit I have a nostalgic affection for this blue Canadian brew. Takes me back to my pre-21 days when my friends and I would go up to Ontario and drink cases of this at Chad’s cabin. Walleyes, bonfires, logging road four-wheeling, splitting wood, busting beaver dams, wrestling bears, and Labatt Blue: good times. Gets a 5 for nostalgia.

11-03-2004 21:56:53 | More by alexgash
halo21

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Not a fan really. Was one of those times when this was only option.

Looks like all the other beers I dont enjoy too much, just this one tastes a little better.

Didnt want another one, will only drink when I can choose between this and another poor macro.

10-30-2004 04:25:00 | More by halo21
baiser

2.6/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a clear pale yellow, fizzy head, no retention. Smelled of faint grain, sugar sweetness and corn.

Taste was clean, corn, light malt, no hops. Very bland. However, I have having korean bbq and taking in tonnes of MSG, so this beer was quite welcome. Goes down great with grub. Otherwise, just another crappy lager for the masses.

10-30-2004 02:15:25 | More by baiser
Backer2004

3.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Nice and refreshing for an adjunct lager. Reminds me of the high school days with a friend that stocked this stuff in the garage fridge. Nothing too special to speak of but I will order this every time over Miller, Coors, or Bud Light. Plus, it's pretty cheap at the new place around the corner.

10-19-2004 03:27:00 | More by Backer2004
twelvsies

Maine

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Appears more like a sparkling cider or juice than a beer. Very clear, light, and bubbly. Smells like a macro; pretty bland, not a lot going on. Maybe even a little funky smell to it. It actually tastes passable for a macro. It's pretty watery overall but I can surprisingly pick up on a bit of sweet maltiness. That's it though. This is basically a boring beer, but it could be worse in the world of macro brews.

10-11-2004 16:57:49 | More by twelvsies
wailingwench

New Mexico

Eye Candy: Transparent straw yellow.

The nose knows: Let Blue warm, then smell it. It smells like vomit in a bottle.

Tongueland: The taste gives me the creeps. I actually have gagged while drinking Blue.

Bender Factor: Blue light is a better alternative, Molson Canadian is the best choice. Everyone here in Buffalo thinks that Blue is the the sheezy, I say it makes me queasy. Labatt Blue is a sad excuse for a beer. It should be put out of it's misery. I feel bad for Canadian citizens who are exposed to Blue on a daily basis.

10-01-2004 23:10:45 | More by wailingwench
heidelbeerg

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

This beer pours a very pale unimpressive urine like color with a thin head. smell was well... like... beer. very ordinary. taste was the same. mouthfeel was thin and watery. i wouldnt go out of my way to get one but, it isnt bad when nuthin else is availible. they are easy to drink.

09-27-2004 03:09:28 | More by heidelbeerg
Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.