Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

poor

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 609 | Hads: 1,877

It's certainly not a great beer, but I wouldn't call it "poor" as the ratings imply. It's got a little flavor and is very easy to drink. It's one of the better beers in its price range. OK is what I would call it. (213 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +8.1%

For a cheap beer, it is refreshing and not bad. It's definitely no craft beer but, I always like a good Labatt once in a while. Good for when you want to drink a lot. (166 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Really boring... Not as gross as corona or the like, but super boring. No flavor aroma to be had here. But, it was cheap and it's refreshing with food I guess. (159 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Being from western New York-(Blue is a regional favorite here) maybe my opinion is skewed.
In my opinion a better alternative to Bud ect. If I'm going to have several (or more) I prefer Blue to the other options (bud-miller-coors) in its price range. I'm not sure that's a glowing endorsement-but I wouldn't toss it.
When I lived in North Carolina for several years Blue was as expensive as any craft beer in the store.So- I chose other options. Take from that what you will. (476 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle poured into a glass in a Calgary pub devoid of other options. There is a decent chance that this was the first beer I ever tried (when I was probably around 8 years old?). It tasted awful back then and is marginally better now. This was once a best-seller out here in the West along with Molson Canadian and the still ubiquitous Molson Pilsener but has since receded into the background as tastes have evolved and as other macro-breweries have gained ascendency since the 80s and 90s. A pale straw color and almost devoid of aroma beyond a vague sweet graininess. You might read things about the "blue jacket" on certain western Canadian barley varieties that imparts a distinctive dryness. Sure, whatever ... Although it is indeed the case that this brew is more crisp and dry than many of its adjunct lager competitors. Features a very subtle fruitiness that evokes apples and grapes, a generic white bread maltiness, almost no hop aroma or flavor, a massive dose of carbonation, and a faintly metallic semi-dry finish. I think this compares favorably to something like the massively sweet Sleeman's Original Draught, but you might be better served saving such comparisons for tickers like myself who keep finding themselves in places that remain craft-phobic. I do not get the same nostalgia here that Molson Pilsener evokes. (1,335 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a light straw color. The flavor is much better than most AALs but this offering cannot come close to well-made craft pilsners.

At least it's union made. (160 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -9.3%

I tried this beer in a bar because they didn t had much option

The smell of Labbat Blue smells like a Pilsner but the smell is not that great

The look the beer looks really light.

Now about the taste. Really disappointing. Does't taste like Pilsner at all. It's like a copy. This is not the real deal here. Labbat you can do better on this beer

Would I recommend it ? As a Pilsner ... No , but if you are at the bar with some friend you can always have a glasse of it. (474 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank this straight from the bottle just to enjoy and relax after work today.
It was a clear golden color- what you'd expect from your typical macrobrewery.
A very light smell, hard to detect, but some wheaty notes of malt are what caught most of my attention.
The taste was pretty average. Wheat, grass, malt. It tasted a lot more refreshing and clear than a lot of similar brews.
Pretty decent mouthfeel. Not as smooth as I'd like, and a little too much carbonation.
This was a decent beer. Nothing special, not horrible. I'd drink it again, it's perfect for a weekend, relaxing, or after mowing the lawn. (609 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured on tap at Syracuse's New York State Fairgrounds.

A: A nice golden color with a very faint amber tinge. Deeper than your typical cheap pilsner but still lacking in color.

S: Very minor aromas of citrus and hops on a yeasty boozy base.

T: More body than a Bud or a light beer but not overly strong of anything. Lots of bready flavor with a very mild hop bite. Not too noticeable but not terrible.

O: If you're near Canada and your options are domestic Lights and Labatt Blue, take the Blue. Otherwise get something else. (529 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer was just okay for me. It was not my favorite beer. To me it did not taste good, it was ok but I have had better. The aroma was ok as well. I personally could just taste the alcohol more than the flavor in thos beer. I do not know maybe I got an old one but this was just me. But I am not going to try to put down any beer. Because everyone has their own taste and likes. (380 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is the epitome of average in terms of beers, remarkably lacking a body or a real strong flavor and feeling like a domestic beer playing dressup in imported beer's clothes. The beer, as a whole, is surprisingly very flat and doesn't bear much taste, although I wouldn't say it isn't drinkable and likely easy to session. I will try to see if I can pick up other Labatt flavors throughout the rest of the year (Light, Royale Light, Lime, Max Ice, etc) , but these beers, after the disappointing flagship brand, will be one of the last I seek out, especially since finding single bottles of some of them proves to be a grating challenge and I doubt I'll be able to drink a six or twelve pack of these before they expire, if they're anything like regular Blue. (761 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 350mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium-light gold with no haze, a strong effervescence and a frothy white head which seems to be dissipating pretty quickly. Par for the course.

Smell: light malt with a bit of sweetness, the promise of some noble hops, and a little bit of plastic. Not the best adjunct lager out there, but not the worst.

Taste: bland malt flavor, pretty much nothing in the way of hops, and a light bitterness. Not terrible, but pretty uninspiring.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big fizziness that doesn't translate into creaminess. It's OK.

Overall: eh. Not a huge fan of this, although I've quaffed quarts of it during band practice. Good rehydration beer. (703 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

This one poured a foamy one finger head which disappeared into a light lacing within a minute.

Color: light golden

Mouthfeel. A bit slick. Not too bad though.

Taste: very light. There's not much flavor to speak of.

Smell: okay.

Overall, this beer is your average North American adjunct lager. It's not horrible, and I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave me one, but I don't see myself buying a six pack. As far as Canadian beer goes, I prefer Molson. (502 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

This isn't very nice. But there is something slightly decent about it.

Pours like keystone light. Hmm

Smells like nothing, but cold urine comes to mind a little.

Tastes decent. But the immediate aftertaste is not enjoyable.

Overall I do not like this beer. Although there is something nice about it which I cannot place. high school nastalgia? Sorta yuck (358 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: pours a thick white head which recedes quickly with a little lacing. Color is pale straw with some streaming carbonation present.
Aroma: fairly mild, a bit of bread dough and lightly toasted barley malt.
Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: sweet barley malt, some fruit flavor and some grassy hops.
Overall: a decent lager, I would have this again if the price is right. (404 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +39.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a great change of pace beer when I want to have a cheap full keg to
have in my keggerator . i wouldn't want to have it all the time but once a year
it works for me. BTW I try to only drink beer on draft since draft beer has a better
overall taste. (257 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Labatt Blue Canadian Pilsner 24 oz can $1.49(OH)

Can poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date. Look up the can/bottle codes on freshbeeronly.

pours a pale gold, almost straw yellow. A one and a half finger head that gives way to some lacing on the glass.

I don't smell much. light malts, slight hops, and a corny adjunct smell.

The taste is better than the smell. A light typical pilsner taste, light hops, very light malts. And finishes smooth and dry with a somewhat adjunct flavor. Better than the triple hop pilsner of M-C.

mouth feel is light but crisp. good carbonation, not overdone like other cheap brews. Leaves a light dry taste in your mouth.

Overall this is a brew that is simply OK. better than some other adjunct brews I've had. would i buy it again. Maybe , I have had it before and I am drinking it now. (847 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Labatt Blue brewed Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. This brew has an ABV of 5.0% , and pours out a nice amber color with a thick white head. This brew looks like American style lager. Nothing good but nothing bad so far. The smell is good, you pick up a beer smell. You pick up on grains and malts,and a hit of hops, in this brew. At this point I'm liking this brew. Now for the taste,there is not much there. At first you get some richness but goes away fast. There is some malts and grains in the taste of this brew. After that, it is just flat and than nothing. To me it tastes like flat bud light. It is smooth but there is not much to the taste of this brew. Mouth feel is ok it reminds me of a light beer. You really can't pick up on the 5.0% abv. I feel if there was more of a taste this brew I would like it better. Overall, I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. I was expecting more out of this brew. I would drink this brew again. Not the best Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. I had. (986 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought a 24 ounce can for $1.09
Can't complain about the price.

I like the looks of the can. Bright blue with a red Canadian maple leaf.

The beer itself is pretty ordinary looking. Maybe a little more color than your typical
American Lager.

The white head disappeared quickly.

Highly carbonated when first poured, but seems to go flat after a few minutes.

It has a slightly sweet smell.

Ice cold it is not half bad. As the beer warms, it develops a funny beery after taste.
(Probably from the adjuncts)

Mouth feel has some slickness.

Even with the after taste, this is easy to drink.

Overall, a below average American lager. (643 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

11.5 fl oz brown glass bottle with generic label and a branded twist-off pressure cap acquired a part of a 6 pack at my local corner mart and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live as a pilsener.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Mediocre complexion and consistency. Subpar creaminess and frothiness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent copper of average vibrance. No floating yeast particles are visible; it's quite clean. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's a pretty average appearance for the style.

Sm: Sweet malts and corn adjunct. Clean barley. Generic characterless hops.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

A bland boring aroma of average strength. Not real inviting. Meh.

T: Generic sweet malts, corn adjunct, and clean barley. That's about it.

No hop profile, yeast character, or alcohol comes through.

Painfully simple. Boring. Unbalanced. Not a gestalt build - or even a real cohesive one. Lacks complexity, subtlety, nuance, and intricacy. Not an inspired or bold brew. I'm not really enjoying it.

Mf: Smooth, wet, crisp. Light to medium bodied. Okay thickness. Mediocre presence on the palate. Unrefreshing. Average acidity. Overcarbonated.

Texture doesn't really suit the flavour profile all that well.

Not oily, gushed, hot, astringent, boozy, harsh, or rough.

Okay presence on the palate.

Dr: A downable beer in this style. I'm not horribly impressed, but I do like it for what it is. I doubt I'd get it again, but you could do worse in this style. This bottle will be easy to kill. This is about as average as they come, but I do want to point out that the price point and availability are both excellent. Pedestrian.

Low C (1,994 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

To me, it's the Budweiser of Canada, The Coca-Cola, and The McDonald's. Ya know the..meh.. the widely distributed, the average. No disrespect to any of those corporations. Ya pay a little more in the states with it being imported. The color and mouthfeel is light and uneventful but not offensive. Slight tracing in the glass, goes away quickly. Don't get me wrong, a drinkable beer, a buyable beer, drank it in Toronto and thought it was better there on tap. Leaves a heavy sharpy, alcohol residue on the tongue, so I wouldn't recommend combining it with other brews. (568 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +8.9%

It's been on sale for over a month now @ the primary place I buy spirits and so I gotta 12 pack of cans and my wife likes it; every now and again because it's so, unoffensive.
She likes the cans because they don't take as much room in the ice box as do bottles do and just havin' a quick brew after work while starting din-din fits the urge.
as for me, t'ain't bad. a very simple biere. (387 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bottled clear and golden with a white head. It has a sweet smooth taste of hops and malt throughout. Could swear there is an after taste of wine grape skins. Overall this is a mass production beer that is a little different than other Canadian beers I've tried. There’s nothing to complain about and nothing remarkable either. (328 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +12.6%

Just a daily drinker if you want a cold one. Excellent value at the minimum price at The Beer Store.... 30.00 for 24 bottles

A- Good average north American beer. Light golden colour nothing special

S- Good average north American beer!

T- A bit more body than most. Nice carbonation. Light drinking

M- Nothing special but refreshingly light

O- Good average North American beer!!

Food Pairing

This run of the mill beer goes with anything you want to drink beer with! Enjoy! (478 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The color is way too weak to have any real respect and the nose holds little to no personality. Despite the lack of nose I found the cereal grain and light Pilsner malts to be better than average. There is an easy drinkability but it's highly carbonated and very crisp. Overall it's not the world's best Pilsner but it will do in a pinch. (338 characters)

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.