Labatt Blue - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Alström Bros
Reviews: 616 | Hads: 1,910
4.94/5  rDev +85.7%

I don't understand some of the reviews. Top rated beers are nasty. And some of my favorite are ranked 6 or 7? I've tried the beers that are ranked high and have to ask… why? I've read the reviews and don't get it. I think, if it's not BAC over 5.9, it's considered piss water. But flavor that doesn't make me squeal and want my eyes to water, isn't a qualifying factor for a great beer for me.

3.46/5  rDev +30.1%

As far as adjunct lagers go, this is a better one. Great appearance with color and head. Nose is a weak spot though with some cereal grain and hint of canned veggies, but the flavor on the palate is a decent malty-grainy taste with balance of hops to make it have some overall flavor worth enjoying. Too many adjunct lagers seem designed to have as little flavor as possible, but this one is more flavor forward and a decent flavor. If I was a regular adjunct drinker, then this would be in my fridge fairly often.

4.02/5  rDev +51.1%

My only problem is that the bottles are only 11.5 oz and cans are 12oz. Hey do the math. Regardless, I'm a big fan of Blue, not so much Blue Light I love the taste and color. Its a beer that serves many purposes, great for getting a buzz, great for relaxing and great for watching sports. Can't really go wrong with Labatt Blue

1.59/5  rDev -40.2%

Tastes like spoiled rice. Did not pair well with the barleywine I was drinking at the time. Awful beer. Don't know what it looks like because I drank it out of a can.

3.2/5  rDev +20.3%

All in all this beer is a somewhat better adjunct lager than others I've had, namely Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, however as with any adjunct lager, I advise this be very cold when you drink it, or the funky sweet grain and corn notes will come alive in the smell and taste and it'll be much harder to drink, but this beer does have a nice crisp, smooth finish to it, other than that, it's got all the qualities of a typical adjunct lager.

1.76/5  rDev -33.8%

Shared a pitcher with the bowling team. They always have a different $7 pitcher and this week was Labatt. Wow was it bad. Ugly traw colored body. Taste like stale Bud with some sugar water added. I don’t mind when the $7 pitcher special is Pabst, Coors, or Miller, but this stuff was terrible. We ended up not finishing the pitcher :(

4.25/5  rDev +59.8%

Pours clear, light golden color with a very thin head that dissipates quickly. Only a slight lacing. Heavy carbonation, mild flavor but not watery. Hints of citrus and nutty, bitter finish. Easy drinking. A very good everyday beer, even if unremarkable.

It's certainly not a great beer, but I wouldn't call it "poor" as the ratings imply. It's got a little flavor and is very easy to drink. It's one of the better beers in its price range. OK is what I would call it.

2.92/5  rDev +9.8%

For a cheap beer, it is refreshing and not bad. It's definitely no craft beer but, I always like a good Labatt once in a while. Good for when you want to drink a lot.

2.5/5  rDev -6%

Really boring... Not as gross as corona or the like, but super boring. No flavor aroma to be had here. But, it was cheap and it's refreshing with food I guess.

2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

Being from western New York-(Blue is a regional favorite here) maybe my opinion is skewed.
In my opinion a better alternative to Bud ect. If I'm going to have several (or more) I prefer Blue to the other options (bud-miller-coors) in its price range. I'm not sure that's a glowing endorsement-but I wouldn't toss it.
When I lived in North Carolina for several years Blue was as expensive as any craft beer in the store.So- I chose other options. Take from that what you will.

2.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle poured into a glass in a Calgary pub devoid of other options. There is a decent chance that this was the first beer I ever tried (when I was probably around 8 years old?). It tasted awful back then and is marginally better now. This was once a best-seller out here in the West along with Molson Canadian and the still ubiquitous Molson Pilsener but has since receded into the background as tastes have evolved and as other macro-breweries have gained ascendency since the 80s and 90s. A pale straw color and almost devoid of aroma beyond a vague sweet graininess. You might read things about the "blue jacket" on certain western Canadian barley varieties that imparts a distinctive dryness. Sure, whatever ... Although it is indeed the case that this brew is more crisp and dry than many of its adjunct lager competitors. Features a very subtle fruitiness that evokes apples and grapes, a generic white bread maltiness, almost no hop aroma or flavor, a massive dose of carbonation, and a faintly metallic semi-dry finish. I think this compares favorably to something like the massively sweet Sleeman's Original Draught, but you might be better served saving such comparisons for tickers like myself who keep finding themselves in places that remain craft-phobic. I do not get the same nostalgia here that Molson Pilsener evokes.

2.31/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a light straw color. The flavor is much better than most AALs but this offering cannot come close to well-made craft pilsners.

At least it's union made.

2.45/5  rDev -7.9%

I tried this beer in a bar because they didn t had much option

The smell of Labbat Blue smells like a Pilsner but the smell is not that great

The look the beer looks really light.

Now about the taste. Really disappointing. Does't taste like Pilsner at all. It's like a copy. This is not the real deal here. Labbat you can do better on this beer

Would I recommend it ? As a Pilsner ... No , but if you are at the bar with some friend you can always have a glasse of it.

3.21/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank this straight from the bottle just to enjoy and relax after work today.
It was a clear golden color- what you'd expect from your typical macrobrewery.
A very light smell, hard to detect, but some wheaty notes of malt are what caught most of my attention.
The taste was pretty average. Wheat, grass, malt. It tasted a lot more refreshing and clear than a lot of similar brews.
Pretty decent mouthfeel. Not as smooth as I'd like, and a little too much carbonation.
This was a decent beer. Nothing special, not horrible. I'd drink it again, it's perfect for a weekend, relaxing, or after mowing the lawn.

2.59/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured on tap at Syracuse's New York State Fairgrounds.

A: A nice golden color with a very faint amber tinge. Deeper than your typical cheap pilsner but still lacking in color.

S: Very minor aromas of citrus and hops on a yeasty boozy base.

T: More body than a Bud or a light beer but not overly strong of anything. Lots of bready flavor with a very mild hop bite. Not too noticeable but not terrible.

O: If you're near Canada and your options are domestic Lights and Labatt Blue, take the Blue. Otherwise get something else.

2.88/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer was just okay for me. It was not my favorite beer. To me it did not taste good, it was ok but I have had better. The aroma was ok as well. I personally could just taste the alcohol more than the flavor in thos beer. I do not know maybe I got an old one but this was just me. But I am not going to try to put down any beer. Because everyone has their own taste and likes.

2.38/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is the epitome of average in terms of beers, remarkably lacking a body or a real strong flavor and feeling like a domestic beer playing dressup in imported beer's clothes. The beer, as a whole, is surprisingly very flat and doesn't bear much taste, although I wouldn't say it isn't drinkable and likely easy to session. I will try to see if I can pick up other Labatt flavors throughout the rest of the year (Light, Royale Light, Lime, Max Ice, etc) , but these beers, after the disappointing flagship brand, will be one of the last I seek out, especially since finding single bottles of some of them proves to be a grating challenge and I doubt I'll be able to drink a six or twelve pack of these before they expire, if they're anything like regular Blue.

2.79/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from 350mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium-light gold with no haze, a strong effervescence and a frothy white head which seems to be dissipating pretty quickly. Par for the course.

Smell: light malt with a bit of sweetness, the promise of some noble hops, and a little bit of plastic. Not the best adjunct lager out there, but not the worst.

Taste: bland malt flavor, pretty much nothing in the way of hops, and a light bitterness. Not terrible, but pretty uninspiring.

Mouthfeel: light body with a big fizziness that doesn't translate into creaminess. It's OK.

Overall: eh. Not a huge fan of this, although I've quaffed quarts of it during band practice. Good rehydration beer.

2.75/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

This one poured a foamy one finger head which disappeared into a light lacing within a minute.

Color: light golden

Mouthfeel. A bit slick. Not too bad though.

Taste: very light. There's not much flavor to speak of.

Smell: okay.

Overall, this beer is your average North American adjunct lager. It's not horrible, and I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave me one, but I don't see myself buying a six pack. As far as Canadian beer goes, I prefer Molson.

1.77/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

This isn't very nice. But there is something slightly decent about it.

Pours like keystone light. Hmm

Smells like nothing, but cold urine comes to mind a little.

Tastes decent. But the immediate aftertaste is not enjoyable.

Overall I do not like this beer. Although there is something nice about it which I cannot place. high school nastalgia? Sorta yuck

2.69/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: pours a thick white head which recedes quickly with a little lacing. Color is pale straw with some streaming carbonation present.
Aroma: fairly mild, a bit of bread dough and lightly toasted barley malt.
Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: sweet barley malt, some fruit flavor and some grassy hops.
Overall: a decent lager, I would have this again if the price is right.

3.77/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a great change of pace beer when I want to have a cheap full keg to
have in my keggerator . i wouldn't want to have it all the time but once a year
it works for me. BTW I try to only drink beer on draft since draft beer has a better
overall taste.

2.43/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Labatt Blue Canadian Pilsner 24 oz can $1.49(OH)

Can poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date. Look up the can/bottle codes on freshbeeronly.

pours a pale gold, almost straw yellow. A one and a half finger head that gives way to some lacing on the glass.

I don't smell much. light malts, slight hops, and a corny adjunct smell.

The taste is better than the smell. A light typical pilsner taste, light hops, very light malts. And finishes smooth and dry with a somewhat adjunct flavor. Better than the triple hop pilsner of M-C.

mouth feel is light but crisp. good carbonation, not overdone like other cheap brews. Leaves a light dry taste in your mouth.

Overall this is a brew that is simply OK. better than some other adjunct brews I've had. would i buy it again. Maybe , I have had it before and I am drinking it now.

2.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Labatt Blue brewed Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. This brew has an ABV of 5.0% , and pours out a nice amber color with a thick white head. This brew looks like American style lager. Nothing good but nothing bad so far. The smell is good, you pick up a beer smell. You pick up on grains and malts,and a hit of hops, in this brew. At this point I'm liking this brew. Now for the taste,there is not much there. At first you get some richness but goes away fast. There is some malts and grains in the taste of this brew. After that, it is just flat and than nothing. To me it tastes like flat bud light. It is smooth but there is not much to the taste of this brew. Mouth feel is ok it reminds me of a light beer. You really can't pick up on the 5.0% abv. I feel if there was more of a taste this brew I would like it better. Overall, I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5. I was expecting more out of this brew. I would drink this brew again. Not the best Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. I had.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.