Labatt Blue Light - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Blue LightLabatt Blue Light

awful

awful

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-22-2001

Labatt Blue Light was introduced in 1983 as a lower-alcohol, lower-calorie version of Canada’s most popular brand. Blue Light uses specially selected North American aromatic hops and the same strain of lager yeast as the one used to produce Labatt Blue. The result is a crisp, clean and delicately balanced beer, with a slight sweetness and citrus-like hop character.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Light Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -41.2%

I guess after the Labatt bear finishes the regular Labatt's, he produces this. It is very light, with no taste. Take away the carbonation, amd it would be just runoff. This stuff is just plain awefull. (201 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -37.6%

A fairly pale urine yellow color and crystal clear with zero head. Scent is very faint. Just some adjunct sweetness is really all I can pick up. Taste is awful and there is no freshness date on the can. Unfortunately, this is a 24oz. can so I've got about ten ounces to go after polishing off the first glass. Taste has the sweetness of corn and a touch of honey. I'm glad this is watered down, because I'd have a hard time stomaching a stronger version of this particular taste. I'll not be revisiting this. (508 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -35.3%

I've never been a huge fan of Labatts but it's on tap all over up here and better than the alternatives at some of the places..I decided to try a master cylinder of their light...I expected more from this...it is extremely light in color like Bud...the nose has a sourish smell...the taste is hardly there...this rivals Coors Light for the most watered down beer out there...if you strain you get some slight grain pushing in...drinkability??? $hit I could can a 12-pack of this in an hour with no problem(I could can a 12 pack of water in an hour too, and this isn't much different)...It also features a dry finish which I don't care for in a beer that has little or no flavor..
Glad I just got one of these.. (712 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle supplied to me by a well meaning relative.

If "flavorless" were a style of beer this one might achieve better rankings. It's like a bunch of Canucks sat around saying " Oh, this Labatt Blue is too strong, ay? Let's add some water, dontcha know"

Bland, pale maltiness is a little corn-like.

Color is almost non existent. (Is this actually beer?)

Mouth feel is that of slightly flat club soda.

Avoid. Unless of course, as in my case, a very nice old lady insists you have a cold beer and relax. (Well meaning relative) (535 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Smells oddly like the inside of a shower stall. What is that? Shampoo? Porcelain? Galvanized? Pale yellow/grey. Tastes like water with some oyster crackers floating in it. Maybe this is from the aquarium where they are farmed. Very good for oyster cracker farm water. Great! (274 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%

this was the best beer at my grandmas birthday party so i gave it a shot, i have hated this beer for years, this was tasting like it had been on the shelves for far to long, this had minamal hop presence and a caned corn flavor but just barly then it was washed down by a watter fall, i think that thay tryed to strip this one of all flavor, this is a beer that should never be consumed even if it were the last beer on earth (425 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -33%

Grabbed this at some random shit bar I don't even remember the name of.
The beer pours a sickly looking thin straw yellow color with a thick white head and actually a little lacing. It smells of crisp recently husked corn and some hay bales. Just like I imagine Kansas to be. Tastes of corn and sweetness. Unrelenting sweetness. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and heavily carbonated. Overall, it isn't the worst beer in the world, but it certainly isn't good at all. (463 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

This one pours a clear yellow, basically looks like water. Looks quite fizzy.

Smells metallic, and like not much else. Maybe some creamed corn.

Tastes metallic too, and maybe a little like creamed corn. It's kind of grainy, but the carbonation takes over the flavor, it's all you get. It's honestly like really gross metallic seltzer.

This one is really light bodied, with a very high level of carbonation.

Pass. (416 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Average see through yellow with a massive white frothy head. Left little lacing.

S - Corn, rice, malt. Less than most light lagers.

T - Light corn, seltzer water, slight malt

M - Heavy carbonation with a medium body

O - Overall, this was a less than standard light lager that I wouldn't buy again. You can get a " Value Pack " at Kroger which consists of twenty cans for eleven dollars. This is something that you bring to a party for everyone else, That way nobody asks for ( And usually wastes ) your good beer. (521 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
I am out of good micro/craft brews and the recent home brews are still a bit green, but this was in the fridge.

A: Very pale piss yellow color. The died almost as fast as it had formed.

S: Almost undetectable. Some sweetness and adjunct/corn aroma.

T: An extremely light flavored beer. Very watery in flavor with a minimal sweetness and husky grain to it. No hop bitterness detectable at all.

M: Water with stinging carbonation.

O: Let's face it, for the most part adjunct lagers are the same thing across the board, but this one is definitely not very good. So watery it is even hard to call this one beer. I can understand how they can sell millions of these though, as your average beer drinker loves these light drinking and thirst quenching alcoholic beverages. Not a good beer. Not a good beer at all. But it was in my fridge so I drank it. (885 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from can into glass.

Appearance: Almost clear. Slight hint of yellow. Too much light white head that lasted seconds with heavy lacing on the glass.

Smell: Almost no smell. Maybe some sugars and alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Very light bodied and drank like water. Hints of some malts and other grains...maybe rice. Alcohol taste was the strongest flavor and that was light.

Overall: To be honest, do not care for this beer. However I could enjoy it on a very hot day with no other drink available. (505 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Obviously not as bad as some other light beers but still a light beer. It is a light gold colored when poured with almost no head at all. Smeels like grain and taste has some maltines to it. Obviously this is a beer that isnt a big favorite and it shouldn be real high on your want list. (287 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -29.9%

Drank cold from 12 oz. bottle and also 12 oz. can.

A: nothing to see here; a thin looking straw yellow; watered down color (see below for more).

S: A bit too much like most cheap beers, though less offensive to the nose than full bodied macro brews.

T: Unpleasant, with some yeastiness, but almost all hints of taste other than "bitter" washed out with a watery taste. The finish is worse than the start.

M: Tastes sour and loses carbonation readily; not fun to have in the mouth for long.

D: It's plenty drinkable if you're drinking quickly and not into tasting.

Beers like this serve a function, but let's not pretend "to taste good" is one of them. These erviews are supposed to be constructive and not just bash beer, so here goes: something could change in this watery light beer, such as more malt, or better ingredients; that might help. (850 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I remember the incident well. It was quite a while back and my notes just resurfaced. The memory never fades, however.

Lighter appearance even than most BMC lights. At least there's that foam.
Of all the light beers I've had, I don't recall giving one an F because they were incredibly weak, bland and flavorless but there was no gross taste or funk. This one has that. Funk in the smell, funk in the taste. It's what makes a light a D-, then you add a gross element of nasty. The mouthfeel's about the same as any light, but it's slicker (slimier?). There's an astringent tinge and the nasty funk is actually more than the aroma or flavor of the beer itself. At least the grains do exist and there's a very light citrus bite. Otherwise, I think this is officially the worst beer I've ever had. (795 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Meh. Nothing impressive, nothing too offensive (except for maybe the head, or lack thereof). Wouldn't say it looks like a healthy urine sample.

S - At first, it was okay, then it almost smelled like nothing, but then... ugh. It's like hops and ammonia. I don't really want to drink this now.

T - Well it's like seltzer water with a hint of hops. That much I can sort of taste on first swig. But the flavor catches up on the aftertaste. Wicked grainy, cereal flavors suddenly assault the taste buds. Am I having fun yet?

M - Barely any feeling at all. Really it feels more like I'm stalling so I don't have to get that aftertaste... which is a good thing I guess.

O - To be fair, it didn't offend me as much as I thought. It's certainly not as boldly offensive as regular Labatt Blue. If I had a choice between the two, I'd pick this BECAUSE of the lack of flavor.

This is not a fun way to get buzzed. I'd rather slam a shot of Jack Daniel's then do push ups. And I am NOT a whiskey guy. I feel like I'm at a really boring, really stupid party when I have this. Give me a beer I can have the least bit of passion for. (1,125 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer when poured out of its can was a very pale watered down yellow color, but was super clear and well carbonated. The head that was produced was pure white in color and was fairly full and cloud like. But this fell to a lifeless liquid in the glass with only a shadow y image of its former cloud self. To my surprise there was some lace left on the sides of the glass from the brief foam. The aromas were faint, I nosed some light overly sweet malt, grains (corn), 1 flower, and a metallic overtone. The tastes were as faint as the aromas, I got a watery sweet malt taste, more corn grains then I care to have, and a brief stab of citrus before it went dry. The aftertaste was – well – nothing. Light bodied. Overall impression was not that impressive. The can said light and they were right, light aroma, light flavor and a light impression of a beer. To be honest it filled the beer gap for me at 11:00 at night at my buddy’s house while talking. It was hot, I was thirsty, I got a beer, and it kind of quenched my thirst. I guess it did its job. Not one that I would recommend or if I can care to drink again. (1,122 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

12oz can sampled at my father's house. This is the ONLY thing he ever drinks.

A: Pale straw yellow brew, foamy white head settles as quickly as it formed.

S: Skunk and aluminum.

T: Skunk, soap, aluminum, mild notes of grass and lemon.

M/D: Thin, fizzy, watery. Skunky seltzer. Heavy carbonation leads to chronic belching.

Chuggability: 5.0.

Beer pong: 5.0. (363 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -27.6%

I was very dissapointed in this beer. It was very watery. The mouthfeel was like seltzer water. I must say I enjoy his big brother, the original much better. There was a strange taste to this beer. I cannot name what it was but it was not pleasant. Not a good beer. (265 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -27.1%

12oz twist off poured into pint glass

A: Golden Yellow with a two finger white head, which disapears with no lacing. Very bubbly and they cling to glass in patches.

S: Wow...Really? I got nothing here. Just Water

T/M: Very little taste, even for a light beer. Very carbonated with a hint of malts and some grain. Mix in some bitterness and dryness and tragically thats it.

D: Light beer at its worst. It has a very very faint heart beat.

cheers (449 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Standard macro brew with a huge water aftertaste. Not my favorite to start with but it seems that this one if the regular Blue diluted with water. Try this from a can in a christmas party and let's just say that next year I'll make sure to bring my own brew. (258 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -25.3%

A- clear straw, pale yellow with thin white head that goes away fast and leaves no lace.

S- Very faint sweet boiled corn and weak hints floral and of hay

T- Straw and corn, water and floral hints

M- Thin and watery

D- Easy as water, but tasteless and boring (261 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -25.3%

Light yellow in color bordering on clear. A white head that disappears quickly. Did I mention clear? No real smell. Tastes like water. Unfortunately, I drink more of this beer than I care to admit. This beer is found in the fridge of a good friend of mine. Nothing special about this beer. Actually, this specific beer I found in my golf bag. (342 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Lots of visible carbonation in this pale yellow beer. The steady stream of bubbles isn't enough to sustain the poorly retained head. Very mild grainy aroma. It barely even has an aroma. Tastes like lightly sweetened seltzer. Feels thin and watery with an odd slickness. Prickly carbonation. Guests went to town on the PBR at yesterdays barbecue, this got left behind. It's cold and wet, and it's drinkable, but I'd rather have beer that tastes like beer. (454 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -24.4%

To be honest, this isn't far off of a Labatt. I guess as far as macro light beers go, it's not hideous. There's a mild maltiness to it, some wheat. Kind of sour and a mist of skunk to it.

The color is clear straw and bubbly, with something of a head and no lacing. Malt scent. Basically what you would expect. (310 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is an extremely pale gold color, with a very thin white head that fades instantly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The pungent aroma is of grain, corn, adjunct and a little malt.

T: There’s a little bit of corn syrup sweetness & malt that hits first, followed by a watery grain flavor that remains for the after-taste.

M: Crisp but not as smooth as it should be, very high carbonation, light body, clean and dry finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down very easy, possibly the least filling beer I’ve ever drank. There are definitely worse light beers out there but the selection would have to be pretty limited for me to choose this beer again. (722 characters)

Labatt Blue Light from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.