2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Labatt Blue Light - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Blue LightLabatt Blue Light

awful

awful

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Labatt Blue Light was introduced in 1983 as a lower-alcohol, lower-calorie version of Canada’s most popular brand. Blue Light uses specially selected North American aromatic hops and the same strain of lager yeast as the one used to produce Labatt Blue. The result is a crisp, clean and delicately balanced beer, with a slight sweetness and citrus-like hop character.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-22-2001)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Blue Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 415 | Reviews: 161 | Show All Ratings:
hardy008

1.25/5  rDev -42.7%

Pours clear pale yellow with a small white head with poor retention. Smells somewhat like corn and like nothing else. Talk about bland.

Tastes somewhat like corn and grain, but mostly like water. Why bother to make this? Why did I bother to drink this left over beer flavored water?

Thin bodied, average carbonation. Doesn't have much in the way of aroma, taste, or character. A failure of a beer in about every way possible.

Reviewed from notes.

04-01-2012 02:57:55 | More by hardy008
alkemy

1.35/5  rDev -38.1%

A fairly pale urine yellow color and crystal clear with zero head. Scent is very faint. Just some adjunct sweetness is really all I can pick up. Taste is awful and there is no freshness date on the can. Unfortunately, this is a 24oz. can so I've got about ten ounces to go after polishing off the first glass. Taste has the sweetness of corn and a touch of honey. I'm glad this is watered down, because I'd have a hard time stomaching a stronger version of this particular taste. I'll not be revisiting this.

01-19-2010 22:41:32 | More by alkemy
TheKingofWichita

1.43/5  rDev -34.4%

Grabbed this at some random shit bar I don't even remember the name of.
The beer pours a sickly looking thin straw yellow color with a thick white head and actually a little lacing. It smells of crisp recently husked corn and some hay bales. Just like I imagine Kansas to be. Tastes of corn and sweetness. Unrelenting sweetness. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and heavily carbonated. Overall, it isn't the worst beer in the world, but it certainly isn't good at all.

04-03-2011 13:31:17 | More by TheKingofWichita
ZAP

1.45/5  rDev -33.5%

I've never been a huge fan of Labatts but it's on tap all over up here and better than the alternatives at some of the places..I decided to try a master cylinder of their light...I expected more from this...it is extremely light in color like Bud...the nose has a sourish smell...the taste is hardly there...this rivals Coors Light for the most watered down beer out there...if you strain you get some slight grain pushing in...drinkability??? $hit I could can a 12-pack of this in an hour with no problem(I could can a 12 pack of water in an hour too, and this isn't much different)...It also features a dry finish which I don't care for in a beer that has little or no flavor..
Glad I just got one of these..

06-26-2002 21:30:36 | More by ZAP
putnam

1.45/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Smells oddly like the inside of a shower stall. What is that? Shampoo? Porcelain? Galvanized? Pale yellow/grey. Tastes like water with some oyster crackers floating in it. Maybe this is from the aquarium where they are farmed. Very good for oyster cracker farm water. Great!

10-20-2002 11:01:24 | More by putnam
ForWhatAlesYou

1.45/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle supplied to me by a well meaning relative.

If "flavorless" were a style of beer this one might achieve better rankings. It's like a bunch of Canucks sat around saying " Oh, this Labatt Blue is too strong, ay? Let's add some water, dontcha know"

Bland, pale maltiness is a little corn-like.

Color is almost non existent. (Is this actually beer?)

Mouth feel is that of slightly flat club soda.

Avoid. Unless of course, as in my case, a very nice old lady insists you have a cold beer and relax. (Well meaning relative)

07-13-2011 21:52:40 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
orcasteve

1.48/5  rDev -32.1%

this was the best beer at my grandmas birthday party so i gave it a shot, i have hated this beer for years, this was tasting like it had been on the shelves for far to long, this had minamal hop presence and a caned corn flavor but just barly then it was washed down by a watter fall, i think that thay tryed to strip this one of all flavor, this is a beer that should never be consumed even if it were the last beer on earth

09-28-2008 23:12:34 | More by orcasteve
jifigz

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
I am out of good micro/craft brews and the recent home brews are still a bit green, but this was in the fridge.

A: Very pale piss yellow color. The died almost as fast as it had formed.

S: Almost undetectable. Some sweetness and adjunct/corn aroma.

T: An extremely light flavored beer. Very watery in flavor with a minimal sweetness and husky grain to it. No hop bitterness detectable at all.

M: Water with stinging carbonation.

O: Let's face it, for the most part adjunct lagers are the same thing across the board, but this one is definitely not very good. So watery it is even hard to call this one beer. I can understand how they can sell millions of these though, as your average beer drinker loves these light drinking and thirst quenching alcoholic beverages. Not a good beer. Not a good beer at all. But it was in my fridge so I drank it.

07-01-2011 04:37:34 | More by jifigz
SometimesIfart

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Average see through yellow with a massive white frothy head. Left little lacing.

S - Corn, rice, malt. Less than most light lagers.

T - Light corn, seltzer water, slight malt

M - Heavy carbonation with a medium body

O - Overall, this was a less than standard light lager that I wouldn't buy again. You can get a " Value Pack " at Kroger which consists of twenty cans for eleven dollars. This is something that you bring to a party for everyone else, That way nobody asks for ( And usually wastes ) your good beer.

11-17-2012 21:33:13 | More by SometimesIfart
Jarod

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer when poured out of its can was a very pale watered down yellow color, but was super clear and well carbonated. The head that was produced was pure white in color and was fairly full and cloud like. But this fell to a lifeless liquid in the glass with only a shadow y image of its former cloud self. To my surprise there was some lace left on the sides of the glass from the brief foam. The aromas were faint, I nosed some light overly sweet malt, grains (corn), 1 flower, and a metallic overtone. The tastes were as faint as the aromas, I got a watery sweet malt taste, more corn grains then I care to have, and a brief stab of citrus before it went dry. The aftertaste was – well – nothing. Light bodied. Overall impression was not that impressive. The can said light and they were right, light aroma, light flavor and a light impression of a beer. To be honest it filled the beer gap for me at 11:00 at night at my buddy’s house while talking. It was hot, I was thirsty, I got a beer, and it kind of quenched my thirst. I guess it did its job. Not one that I would recommend or if I can care to drink again.

08-30-2003 12:55:56 | More by Jarod
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Obviously not as bad as some other light beers but still a light beer. It is a light gold colored when poured with almost no head at all. Smeels like grain and taste has some maltines to it. Obviously this is a beer that isnt a big favorite and it shouldn be real high on your want list.

12-06-2005 19:49:58 | More by JoEBoBpr
luciusgilmer

1.55/5  rDev -28.9%

Drank cold from 12 oz. bottle and also 12 oz. can.

A: nothing to see here; a thin looking straw yellow; watered down color (see below for more).

S: A bit too much like most cheap beers, though less offensive to the nose than full bodied macro brews.

T: Unpleasant, with some yeastiness, but almost all hints of taste other than "bitter" washed out with a watery taste. The finish is worse than the start.

M: Tastes sour and loses carbonation readily; not fun to have in the mouth for long.

D: It's plenty drinkable if you're drinking quickly and not into tasting.

Beers like this serve a function, but let's not pretend "to taste good" is one of them. These erviews are supposed to be constructive and not just bash beer, so here goes: something could change in this watery light beer, such as more malt, or better ingredients; that might help.

09-29-2008 18:54:29 | More by luciusgilmer
Brenden

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I remember the incident well. It was quite a while back and my notes just resurfaced. The memory never fades, however.

Lighter appearance even than most BMC lights. At least there's that foam.
Of all the light beers I've had, I don't recall giving one an F because they were incredibly weak, bland and flavorless but there was no gross taste or funk. This one has that. Funk in the smell, funk in the taste. It's what makes a light a D-, then you add a gross element of nasty. The mouthfeel's about the same as any light, but it's slicker (slimier?). There's an astringent tinge and the nasty funk is actually more than the aroma or flavor of the beer itself. At least the grains do exist and there's a very light citrus bite. Otherwise, I think this is officially the worst beer I've ever had.

06-17-2009 17:56:57 | More by Brenden
leansean88

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Meh. Nothing impressive, nothing too offensive (except for maybe the head, or lack thereof). Wouldn't say it looks like a healthy urine sample.

S - At first, it was okay, then it almost smelled like nothing, but then... ugh. It's like hops and ammonia. I don't really want to drink this now.

T - Well it's like seltzer water with a hint of hops. That much I can sort of taste on first swig. But the flavor catches up on the aftertaste. Wicked grainy, cereal flavors suddenly assault the taste buds. Am I having fun yet?

M - Barely any feeling at all. Really it feels more like I'm stalling so I don't have to get that aftertaste... which is a good thing I guess.

O - To be fair, it didn't offend me as much as I thought. It's certainly not as boldly offensive as regular Labatt Blue. If I had a choice between the two, I'd pick this BECAUSE of the lack of flavor.

This is not a fun way to get buzzed. I'd rather slam a shot of Jack Daniel's then do push ups. And I am NOT a whiskey guy. I feel like I'm at a really boring, really stupid party when I have this. Give me a beer I can have the least bit of passion for.

07-19-2011 00:17:16 | More by leansean88
Cavanaghty

Maine

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from can into glass.

Appearance: Almost clear. Slight hint of yellow. Too much light white head that lasted seconds with heavy lacing on the glass.

Smell: Almost no smell. Maybe some sugars and alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Very light bodied and drank like water. Hints of some malts and other grains...maybe rice. Alcohol taste was the strongest flavor and that was light.

Overall: To be honest, do not care for this beer. However I could enjoy it on a very hot day with no other drink available.

07-22-2012 01:24:49 | More by Cavanaghty
Ellbert

1.58/5  rDev -27.5%

I was very dissapointed in this beer. It was very watery. The mouthfeel was like seltzer water. I must say I enjoy his big brother, the original much better. There was a strange taste to this beer. I cannot name what it was but it was not pleasant. Not a good beer.

06-30-2003 15:28:15 | More by Ellbert
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

1.58/5  rDev -27.5%

12oz can sampled at my father's house. This is the ONLY thing he ever drinks.

A: Pale straw yellow brew, foamy white head settles as quickly as it formed.

S: Skunk and aluminum.

T: Skunk, soap, aluminum, mild notes of grass and lemon.

M/D: Thin, fizzy, watery. Skunky seltzer. Heavy carbonation leads to chronic belching.

Chuggability: 5.0.

Beer pong: 5.0.

04-16-2010 20:41:12 | More by BeerNinja007
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.6/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Standard macro brew with a huge water aftertaste. Not my favorite to start with but it seems that this one if the regular Blue diluted with water. Try this from a can in a christmas party and let's just say that next year I'll make sure to bring my own brew.

12-27-2003 02:13:38 | More by Phyl21ca
drpimento

Wisconsin

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow. This beer is light alright. Like the brewmaster walked near a keg of water. Amazingly it does have some head and lace. Super pale yellow in color. Very heavy carbonation. Very sharp flavor and body. Sharp flavor of what? mmmaybe a bit of malt? No hop that I can find. Better than tainted water I guess.

09-19-2008 23:09:13 | More by drpimento
mnrider

Connecticut

12oz twist off poured into pint glass

A: Golden Yellow with a two finger white head, which disapears with no lacing. Very bubbly and they cling to glass in patches.

S: Wow...Really? I got nothing here. Just Water

T/M: Very little taste, even for a light beer. Very carbonated with a hint of malts and some grain. Mix in some bitterness and dryness and tragically thats it.

D: Light beer at its worst. It has a very very faint heart beat.

cheers

07-07-2009 03:35:01 | More by mnrider
mintjellie

Ontario (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Lots of visible carbonation in this pale yellow beer. The steady stream of bubbles isn't enough to sustain the poorly retained head. Very mild grainy aroma. It barely even has an aroma. Tastes like lightly sweetened seltzer. Feels thin and watery with an odd slickness. Prickly carbonation. Guests went to town on the PBR at yesterdays barbecue, this got left behind. It's cold and wet, and it's drinkable, but I'd rather have beer that tastes like beer.

06-27-2010 19:46:08 | More by mintjellie
JayS2629

Alabama

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

A- clear straw, pale yellow with thin white head that goes away fast and leaves no lace.

S- Very faint sweet boiled corn and weak hints floral and of hay

T- Straw and corn, water and floral hints

M- Thin and watery

D- Easy as water, but tasteless and boring

12-25-2010 04:53:45 | More by JayS2629
Amalak

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

To be honest, this isn't far off of a Labatt. I guess as far as macro light beers go, it's not hideous. There's a mild maltiness to it, some wheat. Kind of sour and a mist of skunk to it.

The color is clear straw and bubbly, with something of a head and no lacing. Malt scent. Basically what you would expect.

02-05-2012 22:16:07 | More by Amalak
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.68/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a white, one finger-head that vanishes quickly leaving no lace. Clear, very pale amber color. Light carbonation and very light bodied. Nose is not detectable. Starts with more malts than hops but sweetness fades to a boring finish. Could be used as a lawn mower beer when you need to pound down 2-3 and not have much effect. $1.50 for a 340ml from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

05-24-2005 22:22:58 | More by jdhilt
yesyouam

1.68/5  rDev -22.9%

[24 oz. can at 44F]
Labatt Blue Light is a very clear, very pale yellow lager with a fluffy white head. It has a faint aroma of corn and possibly lemon. It is light bodied, bubbly and watery with a reasonably crisp finish. There is not much flavor; notes of light grain and corn with a slightly lemony aftertaste. I just wanted to see why people always throw these cans in my yard. Now I understand.
(rated Jun 26, 2008)

12-14-2008 16:21:24 | More by yesyouam
Labatt Blue Light from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.