Labatt Wildcat - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt WildcatLabatt Wildcat

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Wildcat is a popular priced, quality lager introduced in 1993. Conventional brewing processes are used to produce a quality, mainstream lager using corn adjunct to deliver a light, dry flavour.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2003)
View: Beers (35) |  Events

11-25-2011 20:10:24 | More by rbuisson
JOaikido

1.85/5  rDev -17.8%

341 ml bottle. 4,9% ABV.

A- Pale yellow with a darker gold center. Weak white head that disipates quickly but leaves a little ring of foam that sticks around a few minutes. A fer large bubbles rising in the glass.

S- Basic macro beer (faint pale malt and hops). Dusty smell. Weak.

T- Very weak, but I almost wish it was weaker because what little flavour there is I don't like. Faint grassy hops flash up front then linger briefly. Middle is a sweet vegetable (cabbage) flavour with a touch of sugar. There is that artificial sweetener like aftertaste I notice in some cheap beers. The rest is water.

MF- Watery, but not all that thin. Mouthfeel might be OK if the flavour wasn't there to distract me.

D- It's weak enough you can get it down despite off flavour. Not only is this cheap macro beer, it's especially bad cheap macro beer. You can do better, even at this price point.

04-03-2007 16:43:06 | More by JOaikido
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

355 ml can, An economy (cheap) beer to be drank after playing ball or camping, directly from the can. Ended up with a couple left overs in the cooler. Color is slightly darker straw than most micro-fizz, large chunky white foam that grows right after the pour. The smell is a bit sour sweet, but with a lot of corn. You can taste the adjunct sweetness, the alcohol burn, and a sourish aftertaste. No carbonation after the pour, left no head and no real mouthfeel. Drinkability: accept it for what it is, a cheap alternative. Lawnmower, camping, etc. - chug it cold.

Serving type: can

08-06-2006 22:52:40 | More by BigBry
Frozensoul327

3.1/5  rDev +37.8%

A nice suprise. Pours out to an icy gold color with a 1 finger head of foam that quickly dissipated, yet left a small later of white bubbles over the surface of the beer. Aromas of light hops were noted, but not much else. Taste is rather enjoyable for such an inexpensive brew; mild notes of malt and grain characters, with a smooth note of alcohol. Mouthfeel is bubbly and crisp. Drinkability is pretty good. I'd have this for a lawn-mower beer. Worth a try.

Serving type: can

06-27-2006 23:51:50 | More by Frozensoul327
Barraclou

2.63/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: This economy brand got the reputation to be one of the worst domestic beer here in Canada and to be popular among drinkers on the welfare. Since it is not my case, I will give it a try anyway (and risking my own reputation).

Appearance: It pours a straw / apple cider colour and overcarbonated (too fizzy). It got a very typical macro profile.

Smell: The aroma is still interesting for a macro. It is sweet, but with a lot of corn and a hint of hops.

Taste: Well, it seems better than when I drank it for the last time (about 10 years ago). I guess that I found out lots of worst crap beers beating this one. The taste itself is unbalanced. You have alcohol, corn sweetness, hops bitterness and something sorta salty.

Mouthfeel: The excessive carbonation burned my tongue. The mouthfeel is clean, but too weak and fade.

Drinkability: It is better than I expected. It is not exceptionnal, but it is not that worst. You get what you paid for.

05-10-2005 16:10:06 | More by Barraclou
bditty187

Nebraska

Clear, pale yellow-gold in hue. The liquid is not quite sickly looking; I was expecting something fainter in color, sadder in expression. Don’t get me wrong it doesn’t look appetizing, as it is still insipid. The head was white in color, one finger in height at the highest point. It quickly dissipated to a fizzy cap; there was no subsequent lacing. Typical appearance yet barely passable no matter how I look at it. Still I can’t really downgrade it because this is what a beer of this sort is supposed to look like. Average. The nose smells like Malt Liquor. That smell is not a pleasant aroma, sweet, grainy, rounded, alcoholic. Surprisingly clean. The bouquet is not inviting but I’ve smelled worse though. At best I’d call the scents inoffensive (if you can tolerate the style). It is not harsh and that is a huge positive! Hey, the palate doesn’t suck! I’m not kidding myself here, it isn’t tasty but thankfully it is largely clean. The sweetness is restrained; I’m surprised because it was fairly loud in the nose. The strongest flavor is a grainy, husky, (and dare I say) hoppy mix. Lemon-bread. Zesty. The taste is active; I’ve had “many” Malt Liquors that were very sluggish. I might actually finish the whole bottle! Inoffensive, not harsh, and the 6.1% abv is well hidden. Okay. This beer is drinkable but it is not my cup of tea. I can appreciate the fact this beer is good for the style but a good Malt Liquor is *rarely* something I’m looking for. If you are looking for one, have at it! I believe this beer is not sold in the US and my bottle was brought back from Canada by Bdc’s father-in-law. Thanks Bdc for the bottle.

01-02-2005 16:05:44 | More by bditty187
pootz

1.25/5  rDev -44.4%

Given one of these at a community bar BQ. One of the worst beers I ever tasted...certainly the worst in Canada IMHO. Pale, fizzy (over carbonated) Smells of corn or rice sweetness and CO2...poorly aged (if at all) with a rough edge that grates the palate and tongue from the ample use of corn adjunct and CO2....not a redeeming factor in my opinion.

07-20-2004 15:44:48 | More by pootz
JustinBathurst

Ontario (Canada)

Okay, I was not prepared for this beer. That's just a forewarning.

Pours a light gold with a distinct lack of head. What's there looks pathetic.

All I could smell was a whole lot of corn and not much else.

Mouthfeel was on the crisp side, but it wasn't too much different from soda water, really.

Tasted malty and watery despite not being a 'light' beer. No character. No taste. Not so bad I couldn't swallow it or anything, though.

I had one of these at my soon-to-be wife's Grandfather's place. He told me he only buys it because it's so cheap. Nobody else seemed to want one in the room, and I guess I can see why. But, when you're having a drink with the family, it seems like a good idea. I'm sure some people drink this all the time, but I can't see why.

01-10-2004 06:04:46 | More by JustinBathurst
tavernjef

2.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Well, I liked the name, til I drank it, A Labatt Blue step-child with missing DNA. Don't make it mad it may turn on you just like a real wildcat.
Appearance seemed good, super pale golden yellow with a billowy head of white foam just over a finger high, not bad for a lager. Smell is empty grains and not much else. Taste is more empty grains, some watery malts and oats, corn notions, a bit raw of hoppy unevenness mixed with very light lemon and seemed very drawn out. Feel is average at best, light to medium body, but grainy and watery senses filled most of this through and through.
While I was drinking this I kept thinging, why am I, but I kept drinking it. I think the campfire mesmerized me and I forgot what the hell I was doing. But yet I keep writing. Whats wrong with me?
Maybe there's something in this beer I don't know about? Cat piss maybe?
No claws on this cat, it just purred me to sleep.

06-03-2003 19:56:12 | More by tavernjef
brakspear

Wisconsin

1.85/5  rDev -17.8%

This beer seems to be a very weak cousin of Labatt's Blue....much harsher and the adjuncts ooze from every pore of this beer.

The beer pours a very very pale and golden body with a soft white cap. Looks decent in the glass.

The aroma is a stale, corn-laden malty nose, no hops, nothing....

The taste is very unbalanced, it has a sickly sweet corn adjunct flavor with a flat chemically middle followed by a sharp hop bitterness. No hop flavor, very raw....not good.

The mouthfeel is typical for pale lagers but lacked the body of other Canadian beers.

I was not very impressed with this beer at all...avoid unless you are desperate....

04-20-2003 15:34:26 | More by brakspear
Shiloh

2.9/5  rDev +28.9%

I expected the worst and I was pleasantly surprized...Even tho this is not the stallion in the Labatt stable, this beer is seemingly simple and easy to quaff...Light golden colour and clear...body is medium and the taste is of the hops and lingering. The aroma is non discript...

02-07-2003 16:23:39 | More by Shiloh
Labatt Wildcat from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.