Labatt Nordic / .5 - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Nordic / .5Labatt Nordic / .5

poor

awful

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labatt Nordic / .5 Alström Bros
1.05/5  rDev -49%

Mom left a can of this in the fridge from making beer can chicken, can't let a beer go to waste!

Pours a faint yellow with some actually half decent foam head that lingers. Some suspended particles.

Smell is sour apples, cornbread and.... odd smell.

Taste is just putrid. Water tainted with vegetables that have sat too long, an odd sour fruitiness. Such a light body that if you asked me to choose, I would choose water thank you very much. I find it hard to conceive a situation where I would choose to put this in my mouth again.

ritzkiss, May 26, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -34.5%

(Note: reviewing this beer is the BA equivalent of a kamikaze. Not the alcoholic beverage, but the Japanese plane "taking one for the team" by careening into a ship or mountain or other plane. Bear with me.)

The color is a yellow, clear concoction. Lots of fizzy little bubbles floating upward like so much malty flotsam. Has a bizarre film at the top, much like a urine-colored oilslick.

The smell is like someone poured a bowl of Rice Krispies. It is neither inspiring, nor vomit-repelling. What a subpar, malty smell. Come on Labatt, you're better than that. If I were a Mormon I would probably be disgusted as to how weak this beer is. The beer smells like a Goya Malta, but has none of its swarthy charm.

It's really as if somone poured a bowl of Corn Flakes into a pint glass and forced me to drink it. This is the closest to cereal I have ever experienced from a beer. I think I could get more drunk off of Scope. This tastes like the worst brand of bland Chinese pilsner you could ever think of, without the advantage of being a social lubricant.

Has about the same mouthfeel as a bottle of Snapple, sans the flavor. Did I mention that there is more alcohol in a Stridex pad?

I could possibly be trafficking in hyperbole to call this the worst beer I have ever had. After all, I have had Beast Ice, Narragansett, Mad Dog 20/20, The Blue Bull, and even Bud. This beer might have been wonderful if I lived during Prohibition, when 0.5% ABV might have made me slightly randy, but in 2006, it's utter crap.

Worst. Beer. Ever.

williamherbert, Sep 26, 2006
1.38/5  rDev -33%

Pours a pale gold color with nearly no head into my pint glass. Seems ordinary.

Aroma is full of that corny adjunct aroma and also smells a bit of baked bread.

Taste is very sweet and my taste buds get hit with a blast of watery flavor. Yikes. Doesn't remind me of regular Blue.

Very watery and tasteless. Just nothing worth drinking.

Avoid like the plague. There's just no flavor in this.

Brad007, Mar 21, 2009
1.58/5  rDev -23.3%

Presentation: 12 twist off with no freshness date.

Appearance: Good foaming action and the clarity is nice as well in its pale yellow colour.

Smell: Watery grain and processed floral hop oil.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bitty dextrin and starchy mouth feel. The crisp carbonation leaves a carbonic trail to the hop oil. Very watery in the malt department with an odd tasting grain hop finish.

Notes: Well … this is just horrid, it barley tastes like beer at all.

Jason, Aug 10, 2003
1.65/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: A very clear yellow beer with a short lived head and a touch of lacing.

S: I'm smelling an American Macro Lager, no wait, AMLs are more complex.

T: It is clean and thirst quenching, but ther isn't much flavor to go with it. Just a bad sweet and sour, twang and the dull taste of the glas bottle I poured it from.

M: Not as thin as I would have thought but sticky on the tounge.

D: It is sour and very carbonated so the drinkablity is ruined.

nicksta, May 09, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -11.2%

From a bottle, this beer pours a pale, watery-yellow with a fizzy head. The head doesn’t last long at all, but a never-ending stream of bubbles rises from the bottom of the glass. Faint cereal aroma with a distant hop presence. Not much taste…grain and a hollow bitterness. It’s drinkable, as far as NA’s go, but it sure as hell isn’t a beer.

Suds, Feb 20, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -8.7%

I bought this as a gag for a buddy of mine who has has quasi given up drinking. I should mention that this beer claims to be Labatt Blue De-Alcoholized Pilsner, so I'm not sure if this is a different 0.5 beer or not. I can't see even Labatt making two beers of this kind though.

Appearance: Incredibly pale with excessive carbonation, minimal head that does not lace and does not retain. If it weren't a near beer I would have given it a flat one.

Smell: Not all that good, as it has a brutal case of skunk on a backing of artificial corn chips. Not outright offensive, but close.

Taste: I'm giving this beer quite a bit of leeway, however it is not that great. Starts with an artificial corn taste that quickly turns to a strong acidic skunk taste.

Mouthfeel: Well, this beer doesn't leave an aftertaste, which earns it points and the carbonation is good, but the beer tastes a bit too corrosive.

Drinkability: Well, not gassy nor does it make any stomach issues, and it is a bit watery, but it just tastes awful and it not easy going down.

Final Thoughts: Well, I can't say I didn't expect this, I mean it is a near beer but I thought it would at least be somewhat like a normal beer. Needless to say, I think it will be a while before the next as it got drain poured.

TheHammer, Oct 09, 2009

cam477, Sep 26, 2013

irishkyle21, Jan 16, 2012

Bought a twelve pack at an A&P for three bucks. This is definitely a three dollar beer. Poured a clear, urine sample colour with little carbonation. However, the head was decent, so it gets bonus points for that. It lasted throughout most of the drink, too. Smell reminds me of a beach on Lake Ontario. Watery, slight pollution smell. No hops detected. No malt detected. No adjunct detected. No smell detected. And little taste detected. Water, with some gluten. I imagine a litre of water with a slice of whole wheat bread would taste similar too this. Extremely thin, watery mouthfeel. It's not offensive, but it's bland. I give it a high drinkability rating, simply because it's drinkable like water. But, this is my first NA beer. Perhaps I'm being harsh? Does low alcohol affect the taste? I wouldn't think so. It just means low alcohol, so someone can't get a good buzz off of a case. But I've never brewed a beer this low in alcohol, nor do I know anyone else who has. So perhaps yes, the low alcohol does affect taste and smell in a manner I cannot see.

slitherySOB, Sep 09, 2003
2.1/5  rDev +1.9%

NA Shootout (With Blanks) V is another Yank vs. Canuck cage match that pits the home team (Miller Sharp's) against the visitor from the Great White North (Labatt Nordic). As always, these low alcohol beer contests are usually decided by which is the least offensive, not which is the most palatable.

Anemic amber, but a wee bit darker than the American product. The head is more of a bright ivory, lasts longer, looks better at all stages and leaves more typical looking lace. The Canadian has jumped out to an early lead.

This stuff doesn't smell too bad. At least it smells like beer and it has a little fruitiness for good measure. There's isn't much of a grain-like smell, but then I didn't think there would be. It probably wouldn't fare as well if the competition didn't smell like crap.

Nordic is odd tasting beer, although it isn't entirely unpleasant. My tongue is registering a strange fruitiness that can't be coming from the traditional ingredients used to brew beer. I've never tasted anything quite like it. No grain, no hops, just a peculiar esteriness that is impossible to pigeonhole.

I think I might like this mouthfeel better, but then I think it's just the fact that this liquid is less disgusting in terms of flavor. No one drinks NA beer for the mouthfeel anyway. Why do people drink this swill anyway? If I couldn't have real beer, I'd stick with water.

Labatt Nordic takes the NA Shootout (With Blanks) V crown (and what a fine looking crown it is) back across the northern border. It's far from tasty stuff, and is way too strange for its own good, but its American competitor didn't even put up a fight.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 08, 2007
2.15/5  rDev +4.4%

This is now known as "Labatt Nordic". Pours out to a dull golden color. Very light in flavor, but not offensive. If N.A. beers could get something resembling a hop taste in them, it would help out considerably.

proc, Aug 28, 2002
2.2/5  rDev +6.8%

355ml can poured in a pint glass.

Straw yellow and clear. Big white foamy head is over an inch on the pour. Reduces to a soap bubble looking 1/8 inch cap.

Aroma is all corn baby. Smells really sweet too, kinda like a corn flavoured pop.

Corn flavoured pop. That's pretty much what this tastes like. Sweet and corny right from the start. Finish is sweet with a metallic twang to it. Aftertaste is a bit off-veggie.

Mouthfeel is a little oily, but light bodied and fizzy. Not unlike most macro lagers.

Well this doesn't do anything for me. It's not really beer. It's like Corn Adjunct Beer Flavoured Pop. You're better off drinking water than this.

Noxious26, Apr 13, 2006
2.25/5  rDev +9.2%

The appearance of this brew reminded me of real beer, light golden colour, short bubbly head that quickly disapates..the aroma has a slight skunky odour going for it, body is light and the taste well balanced and leaving you dry..Definetly a session beer for the DD..

Shiloh, Feb 22, 2003
2.25/5  rDev +9.2%

Bought at The Beer Store (Innes/10th Line: Ottawa), a few days in the fridge.

The biggish white crusty head collapses quickly, leaving minimal soapy lacing. The beer is pale yellow with a strange suggestion of greenishness. Fine carbonation. The nose is an uninspired pairing of schpoonk and corn syrup. Just corn syrup in the front, corn syrup and grass in the middle, corn syrup and suggestion of grain in the finish.

There is really nothing to recommend this beer. Nothing is really bad, which may put it in the middle of the pack for NAs, but nothing is really good.

kbub6f, Jul 01, 2003
2.33/5  rDev +13.1%

11.2 oz brown glass twist-top bottle. No date...kinda concerning for an NA beer.

Quick review. Thin and lightly carbonated. Tastes A LOT like corn cereal and corn chips. Has this toasted yellow corn flavor and no finish. Moderately sweet.

Not good. Would prefer to drink a German or Dutch NA beer.

SFLpunk, May 27, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +39.8%

I had not drank a non-alcoholic beer in a while but since I had to drive but was craving a beer I told a bartender to give me a non-alcoholic. He gave me a Nordic. It wasn’t bad I was actually impressed with its taste.

Appearance- It was a golden amber typical of an American style pilsner.

Smell- Very balanced. You could smell the malt, and hops every thing was there accept the alcohol. Other than that it smelt like beer I could smell the hops and the malt.

Taste- The the regular norm as far as the regular mass produced flavor but taste very close a beer with alcohol in it.

Mouthfeel. Average carbonation

Drinkability- It is refreshing and not bad with a meal with meat.

MTNboy, Aug 09, 2007

rbuisson, Nov 25, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +60.2%

Out of a bottle this beer was a perfectly clear gold color with a good amount of rising carbonation and one-finger of cream-colored head. The retention was good especially as a collar and the lacing consistent even if not impressive. The aroma was of cereal grains, sweet malt and toasted barely. The flavors were actually quite close to regular Labatt with a slightly sweeter finish. Cereal grains remained dominant with a tiny hint of citrus hops as it warmed up. It was not as washed out as many non-alcoholic beers and the balanced was pretty good - almost like a real beer! The mouthfeel was smooth, the body medium and the carbonation medium/high.

thekevlarkid, Jul 07, 2009
Labatt Nordic / .5 from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.