Labatt Maximum Ice - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Maximum IceLabatt Maximum Ice

poor

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Malt Liquor |  7.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2002)

probert, Sep 06, 2014

Mr_Hoptimistic, Aug 08, 2014

griffiti, Jul 15, 2014

ramrod666, Apr 29, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -16.5%

473 mL can from the LCBO; served slightly chilled.

Pours a pale golden-yellow colour, topped with one finger of soapy, frothy white head that gradually recedes over the next few minutes. Nice lacing. Looks fine, but my first sniff is enough to warn me what I'm in for - it's super corny, with grainy malt sweetness, cardboard, melted plastic and some ethanol being the only elements of note. Why do I get myself into these situations?

Pretty gross, even for the style. Very sweet, with lots of corn grist, syrup and apple juice. While this brew generally lacks the papery cardboard notes of many cheap, high-diesel lagers, the alcohol is rather poorly hidden - I am only 3-4 sips in and I am already sick of the stuff. The mouthfeel isn't too bad - medium in body, with a smooth, almost creamy nature due to the restrained carbonation levels. There are only two rules with beers like this - drink them fast, and drink them cold. I sort of broke the last rule, but I think I'm man enough to finish the rest of this can, despite the beer's overall unpleasantness.

Final Grade: 2.08, a disappointing D-. I only know one person who drinks this stuff, and it's definitely not because of the nuanced flavour. Labatt Maximum Ice is good for precisely one thing - getting shitfaced on beer while spending as little money as possible. If you're not an alcoholic homeless person, I can't think of any compelling reasons to bother with this one. For the record, I did manage to finish the can, but I won't be picking up another in the future.

thehyperduck, Apr 17, 2014

DenisKolkin, Jul 12, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +40.6%

shacawgo24, Jul 04, 2013
2.96/5  rDev +18.9%

From the 24 ounce can marked E02R3105:57. Sampled on June 24, 2013.

It pours an above average yellow with a frothy white lingering head. For the malt liquor style it is fine.

The aroma is strange. There are grainy barley malts, yeast and an odd sort of grape or wine note. That didn't impress me much.

The body was light and creamy.

The taste also has this wine-like thing going on but it does not bite or taste metallic like so many other malt liquors can. I give the taste a fair shake given the style.

It does what malt liquors do best and that is to get one drunk. Not a craft but it is brewed with natural ingredients and that to me means something. Don't flunk it simply because it is a macro malt liquor.

puboflyons, Jun 24, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -39.8%

TheBeeraholic, Jun 15, 2013

t0rin0, Apr 28, 2013

Xithyl, Mar 23, 2013
2.74/5  rDev +10%

24 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is straw colored with a constant supply of bubbles rising from the etching in the bottom of the glass. An inch and a half of head settles to a thin layer on top.

S - There is not much of an aroma. I get a little grass, grain, and alcohol.

T - I taste some alcohol right off the bat. The alcohol masks the sweetness of the beer. It has a dry, clean finish.

M - Thin with biting carbonation

O - It is a little less flavorful, not that this is a flavorful style of beer, than other malt liquors. The dry finish is also unlike any malt liquors that I have had the privilege of sampling. I would have to say this is not a favorite in the style.

buschbeer, Mar 10, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -22.5%

24 fl oz. (1 pint 8 fl oz.) can, with no apparent freshness date present except a code on the bottom which I'm not about to bother with. I should probably note that in Illinois, I have only seen this beer marketed in 24 fl oz. tall cans, never in bottles, and only under the name Labatt Max Ice, rather than Labatt Maximum Ice. Purchased at the local 7-11 after midnight, for $1.07, so for the price you really can't go wrong... I think. Although not a craft beer, my eighth beer review of a beer coming from a can!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass. Keeping it as classy as possible.

A - Pours about a finger and a half of fizzling artificial looking head atop of a crystal clear amber colored body with massive amounts of bubbles floating about and fading away within seconds. Retains a slightly darker color than the typical American adjunct light lager like Miller Lite and Coors Light.

S - Pale, artificial, boring adjunctive corn malt smell. Vague artificial apple smell as the beer sits. Smells and looks like a Miller Lite when cold. Slight hint of artificial sweetness present. Smells like what you would expect from your typical American malt liquor. Not impressive.

T - Carbonated. Pale artificial malts. Corn syrup. Cherry syrup. Artificial sticky sweetness. Definitely not a pleasant tasting beer, I can say that for sure. Retains some kind of nasty cherry cough medicine type taste to it. Very unappealing, but you can't really expect much more for a dollar a can tall boy. I was hoping for more corn in the taste, than what I was left with.

M - Although it is fairly awful, boring, adjunctive swill, the feel is good enough. Smooth, watery, clean, without much lingerance of any kind. Lightly bodied, with a fair level of carbonation considering the style of beer it is.

Overall, you probably know what you are getting into with this one if you so choose to go down that trodden path. Overly bloating and overly carbonated. Vague apple smell, yet no real corn or grain flavor that I am able to distinguish from this one, although you might be more lucky. A pretty simple, standard beer for it's style. The plain old simple boring alcohol delivery vehicle that many of us are used to. My friend's dad drinks this sh*t, not because it tastes good, but because it is the cheapest buzz around, basically. The only plus side is it's solid 7.10% abv. You've been warned.

Labatt Max Ice ---2/5

mfnmbvp, Mar 05, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -13.7%

My brother brought me a 40oz bottle of this as a joke more than anything else, this poured a very bright yellow with no head or lacing. Smell is a little sour and chemical-y. Taste starts off much like this as well but finishes with a megaton of corn flavor. Mouthfeel is thin, but somewhat clean.

I've had worse, but still this is pretty awful. Maybe worth trying just once to say you did.

funkengruven, Feb 27, 2013

1.75/5  rDev -29.7%

DaPan, Feb 13, 2013

sketchyhoodie, Feb 10, 2013

pavpav12, Jan 31, 2013
Labatt Maximum Ice from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.