Labatt Maximum Ice - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Maximum IceLabatt Maximum Ice

to view more.
Ratings: 83 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by pootz:
3.08/5  rDev +24.2%

First off this is no eisbock....so judging it as such is a misdirection and ignores the purpose of modern ice processes which Labatt pioneered, and by my estimate, perfected.

So many "ice" beers are tasteless and don't deliver the smooth drinking qualities that the ice process is supposed to give the brew. This one does! The idea is that the finished brew is partially frozen.... water freezes first into small crystals taking with it dead yeasts and other unmellowed proteins which can be filtered off raising the alcohol level and mellowing the beer. Obviously Labatt started with a husky version of their pilsner to put through this ice process because this taste is mild and mellow.

As a mainstream mega brew strong pilsner....this ones about the best if this is a genre that turns your crank...for me, I like it only in special circumstances.....like on a hot day right out of the ice chest when you only want 1 or 2 beers to cool and relax you. This one's the ticket for that

Pours a medium straw color....crystal clarity.....small pilsner-like head....that vanishes quickly....medium-low carbonation activity . Smells likeother Labatt mega pils...slight waft of grains and hop except almost over powered by carbonation and alcohol esters. Starts smooth (not at all sharp) builds to a very likeable lager type fullness with malty-grain tastes and finishes light with a strange lingering light banana like taste created between the malt sweetness and the alcohol.

All in all, good summer drink but watch your consumption the brew is so smooth you have a tendency to not realize how much you've had and it creeps upon you.

Presentation: Poured from big 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color. The head is big, foamy and bright white in color, which quickly fades to thin ring around the top.

Smell: The aroma has a heavy malty character that is bready and biscuity. There is a strong milled corn scent as well.

Taste/Mouth feel: A thick sweet liquor taste and a grainy malt character drive its flavor. Hop flavors are light and add only a light grassy taste and some bitterness to the finish. The carbonation is fairly high but fades and becomes rather slick in texture and its light to medium bodied.

Notes: Its malty to the max and it will get you loaded quickly and cheaply. Overall it is a passable brew for some serious drinking.

1.78/5  rDev -28.2%

24 oz can says it's brewed in Rochester NY maybe at Genesee. Weighs in as a big American lager or a small malt liquor. Pours a deep yellow golden almost apple juice like tone with a bright white head forming thick and dwindling even quicker. Thin speckled lacing left behind, let's see how the rest goes. Aroma has a strong cooked veggies high adjunct ridden nose going on not much sweetness or malt or hop action served cold to protect my palate. Flavor has a dominant sweetness almost table sugar extreme sweetness, pretty much sickeningly corn syrup high fructose that should have been fermented out. Not to hot with alcohol just one rough sip that seems to never get better as you try to actually consume this creation. Absolutely horrible example of beer in general but the sad part is I can't even consider it to be a good malt liquor many a better cheap drunks out there. Pass on this one it was like a dollar with some change for this big can. Mouthfeel is harsh I don't know why but it's hard to take a sip, excessive CO2 medium to light body becomes cloying quickly after taking a few sips. Overall pure shite that really should avoid the beer market, why is there a need for this stuff.

2.21/5  rDev -10.9%

Slick looking silver and black 473 ml can. I thought my American Malt Liquor experience should be Canadian (or at least Belgian-Canadian, but I digress)...

This beer pours a clear medium yellow hue, with lots of foamy white head, which leaves fairly solid, erratic lace as it melts away. It smells of sweet corn/rice mash, and some acetic, cidery fruit notes. The taste is sweet white grain and alcohol, skunky at best, some medicinal phenols poke out their unwelcome heads as it warms. The carbonation is moderate, the body slick, cloying, and oily, and it finishes warm, metallic, and, well, evil.

Not as bad as I would have thought, but definitely more about the booze than the other underwhelming ingredients.

2.3/5  rDev -7.3%

Not bad for a Labatt's, tastes a little like beer, and other than that vodka. Some signs of bubbles, some taste. Not too drinkable, but I could get through more than a sip, and that's a complement for me for anything coming out of this national brewer.

2.87/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade. Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is of alcohol, some mild malts, nothing special here. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall there is nothing to seperate this malt liquor from the pack.

2.95/5  rDev +19%

From the 24 ounce can marked E02R3105:57. Sampled on June 24, 2013.

It pours an above average yellow with a frothy white lingering head. For the malt liquor style it is fine.

The aroma is strange. There are grainy barley malts, yeast and an odd sort of grape or wine note. That didn't impress me much.

The body was light and creamy.

The taste also has this wine-like thing going on but it does not bite or taste metallic like so many other malt liquors can. I give the taste a fair shake given the style.

It does what malt liquors do best and that is to get one drunk. Not a craft but it is brewed with natural ingredients and that to me means something. Don't flunk it simply because it is a macro malt liquor.

3.18/5  rDev +28.2%

24 oz. can, brewed in Rochester NY. Can is dated: L07R1121:27.

Into a pint glass it pours a dark gold with a touch of orange. Visible carbonation trails and a fingers width of white foam, which leaves delicate webbed lacing inside the glass.

Smells clean, sweet apple and sweet sticky grains, corn possibly, slight alcohol as it warms up, but not when cold.

Feels fairly smooth and slightly creamy (corn) even. Medium carbonation, though it doesn't interfere too much. Low levels of astringency unless swigged.

Tastes like apple and sweet grains, wheat and corn. Bland indistinct grainy finish. Thankfully no off flavors or harshness.

Judged soley against other Malt Liquors, this really isn't bad. Alcohol seems a bit prevalent as it warms, but otherwise it's clean and bland like Steel Reserve.

Recommend serving ice cold, and with water on the side, as with all malt liquors.

1.34/5  rDev -46%

Whenever I go beer shopping I pretty much stick to the craft beer section, but when I'm finished picking out my good beers I always go to the back cooler and pick up one cheap macro and bring it home just on the odd chance that I might find a cheap beer that I like. This week's cheap macro find was this 24oz black and silver aluminum can of MAX ICE from Labatt. Found it at Sal's in Addison, IL for $1.19

The beer poured a clear golden/yellow color and made a huge 4 finger white head even with the glass tilted at 45º. Unfortunately the head was completely gone within a minute and it left no lacing on the glass whatsoever.

All I could get from the smell was some faint grainy corn along with sweet corn syrup and bubble gum.

This stuff is awful. Maybe the worst beer I've ever tried. It's sweet but not a good malty sweet. It's like corn syrup poured into carbonated, metallic tasting seltzer water. Then add to that a 7.1% alcohol content that doesn't even try to hide any of the alcoholic flavor and what you end up with is drain pour. I actually saved half of it and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to get it ice cold. I thought maybe it's called Maximum Ice because it tastes better when it's ice cold. That didn't help either.

It's got a medium thick body to it so you can't even call it light and refreshing, although the carbonation level is medium high so it's kind of spritzy, but I really don't care for spritzy corn flavored, metallic feeling, alcohol heavy beer.

Not drinkable - absolute drain pour.

2.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

24 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is straw colored with a constant supply of bubbles rising from the etching in the bottom of the glass. An inch and a half of head settles to a thin layer on top.

S - There is not much of an aroma. I get a little grass, grain, and alcohol.

T - I taste some alcohol right off the bat. The alcohol masks the sweetness of the beer. It has a dry, clean finish.

M - Thin with biting carbonation

O - It is a little less flavorful, not that this is a flavorful style of beer, than other malt liquors. The dry finish is also unlike any malt liquors that I have had the privilege of sampling. I would have to say this is not a favorite in the style.

3.7/5  rDev +49.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I saw this on a store shelf while on a road trip in Florida- immediately bought it. Poured from a 24 oz. can, Labatt Max Ice has a very thick, quickly overflowing head and a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, with a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is a combination of grains, clean water, and a slight hop spiciness. Taste is the same, but with added light sweetness and a subtle alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Labatt Max Ice finishes refreshing, crisp, and highly drinkable. After the second glass, I could really feel this one in my head (empty stomach). Overall, I did like its robust taste, and I would have it again.

RJT

1.91/5  rDev -23%

24 fl oz. (1 pint 8 fl oz.) can, with no apparent freshness date present except a code on the bottom which I'm not about to bother with. I should probably note that in Illinois, I have only seen this beer marketed in 24 fl oz. tall cans, never in bottles, and only under the name Labatt Max Ice, rather than Labatt Maximum Ice. Purchased at the local 7-11 after midnight, for $1.07, so for the price you really can't go wrong... I think. Although not a craft beer, my eighth beer review of a beer coming from a can!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass. Keeping it as classy as possible.

A - Pours about a finger and a half of fizzling artificial looking head atop of a crystal clear amber colored body with massive amounts of bubbles floating about and fading away within seconds. Retains a slightly darker color than the typical American adjunct light lager like Miller Lite and Coors Light.

S - Pale, artificial, boring adjunctive corn malt smell. Vague artificial apple smell as the beer sits. Smells and looks like a Miller Lite when cold. Slight hint of artificial sweetness present. Smells like what you would expect from your typical American malt liquor. Not impressive.

T - Carbonated. Pale artificial malts. Corn syrup. Cherry syrup. Artificial sticky sweetness. Definitely not a pleasant tasting beer, I can say that for sure. Retains some kind of nasty cherry cough medicine type taste to it. Very unappealing, but you can't really expect much more for a dollar a can tall boy. I was hoping for more corn in the taste, than what I was left with.

M - Although it is fairly awful, boring, adjunctive swill, the feel is good enough. Smooth, watery, clean, without much lingerance of any kind. Lightly bodied, with a fair level of carbonation considering the style of beer it is.

Overall, you probably know what you are getting into with this one if you so choose to go down that trodden path. Overly bloating and overly carbonated. Vague apple smell, yet no real corn or grain flavor that I am able to distinguish from this one, although you might be more lucky. A pretty simple, standard beer for it's style. The plain old simple boring alcohol delivery vehicle that many of us are used to. My friend's dad drinks this sh*t, not because it tastes good, but because it is the cheapest buzz around, basically. The only plus side is it's solid 7.10% abv. You've been warned.

Labatt Max Ice ---2/5

2.13/5  rDev -14.1%

Relabeled as Labatt Max Ice.

And here I thought I was going to tick off malt liquor from my list, but it's listed as a macro lager. It was also just 99 cents for a 24 oz can. I find Labatt Blue to be an above average macro, so maybe this won't be too terrible. Here we go...

Head retention is some of the most pitiful I've seen. Recedes to next to nothing in a matter of seconds. Lots of visible carbonation. Clear, but has some coloration to it. Otherwise typical macro lager appearance. Beers that look like this do not tend to taste too good.

Smells like things that are not beer. Plastic, wax. A whiff of grainy malt and a hint of grassiness. At least it's not very potent of a smell at all. But no redeeming qualities.

Strong taste of alcohol. Little beer flavor. Like a light lager with a shot of cheap vodka added. There's some actual grassy hop bitterness here. Probably was needed to balance out the extra malt sweetness. Some corn flavor, but not as excessive as say, Icehouse. Somewhat succeeds in being bland and unoffensive by the halfway point when the alcohol character is less present. Finishes rather clean.

Burns way more than a 7.1% beer should. Feels maybe a bit thicker than a normal lager. It's actually undercarbonated, surely a result of being poured and releasing some of the gases. I doubt Labatt planned for anyone to pour it out.

Of course I wouldn't drink this for pleasure, but if money was tight, I could make due with it. My string of no drain pours remains intact. When I'm not paying attention I can get it down without too much of a fight. Not compelling. I'm only drinking it because it's in front of me.

1.88/5  rDev -24.2%

473ml Can - from the lcbo for 2$

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 3 or 4 minutes.

Smell - Bread, grains, corn, malts, alcohol

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation an I can taste corn and malts mixed with a harsh alcohol flavour. There is also a cooked vegetable taste mixed with a graininess. It ends with a boozy corn syrup flavour.

Overall - I figured 'how bad can it be?'. The answer is pretty bad. The taste is awful and this is something that will never drink again.

2.7/5  rDev +8.9%

The taste of alcohol is quite prominent here and is lingering. The appearance is really avarage, mid golden hue, limited head.
The body is not quite full but does not fall too short. The nose is crisp and clean.
Given that alcohol is so prominent in the taste, this brew is fairly well balanced.
Sampled from a 1.18 litre bottle, put this puppy in a brown paper bag and it will be acceptable.

2.11/5  rDev -14.9%

473 mL can from the LCBO; served slightly chilled.

Pours a pale golden-yellow colour, topped with one finger of soapy, frothy white head that gradually recedes over the next few minutes. Nice lacing. Looks fine, but my first sniff is enough to warn me what I'm in for - it's super corny, with grainy malt sweetness, cardboard, melted plastic and some ethanol being the only elements of note. Why do I get myself into these situations?

Pretty gross, even for the style. Very sweet, with lots of corn grist, syrup and apple juice. While this brew generally lacks the papery cardboard notes of many cheap, high-diesel lagers, the alcohol is rather poorly hidden - I am only 3-4 sips in and I am already sick of the stuff. The mouthfeel isn't too bad - medium in body, with a smooth, almost creamy nature due to the restrained carbonation levels. There are only two rules with beers like this - drink them fast, and drink them cold. I sort of broke the last rule, but I think I'm man enough to finish the rest of this can, despite the beer's overall unpleasantness.

Final Grade: 2.11, a disappointing D-. I only know one person who drinks this stuff, and it's definitely not because of the nuanced flavour. Labatt Maximum Ice is good for precisely one thing - getting shitfaced on beer while spending as little money as possible. If you're not an alcoholic homeless person, I can't think of any compelling reasons to bother with this one. For the record, I did manage to finish the can, but I won't be picking up another in the future.

1.99/5  rDev -19.8%

Out of most Malt Liqours, this is probably one of the most tolerable.

The taste of course is very strong and sour. One of the good points about this beer is the aftertaste is a little better and not as lingering as say Old English. However the aftertaste is still sour. Probably the most foulist aspect of this beer is the smell, it's just, I can't describe it.

But overal, for a beer that's about as strong as Colt 45, I would choose this as the better beer. Good if you want to get drunk fast.

2.15/5  rDev -13.3%

All in all, I was not at all impressed with this beer. Labatt beer has been going downhill lately it seems to me. The color was slightly darker than a typical adjunct style lager, but still pale in coloring. I poured it into a glass mug and it gave about three fingers worth of head.

There was a lot of sweet alcohol scent in the smell with a small bit of maltiness. Very little in the way of hop character.

The taste pretty much mirrors the smell. There is plenty of alcohol flavor in the taste, but it isn't overpowering.

Fair drinkabilty. Very easy to chug this i think, but still not at all impressed...

1.87/5  rDev -24.6%

CANadian beer in a CAN on an AmeriCAN holiday weekend (Memorial Day)! CAN you believe it?

Once again, these oversized CANs have screwed the pooch in terms of the placement of the opening. It was far enough back from the lip that short of a complete inversion of the CAN, beer was guaranteed to run down the sides of the CAN. Grrr. My pour gave me a finger of foamy, bone-white head with medium retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the now-infamous smell of green apples. And plastics. What more could I ask for? Mouthfeel was medium with a sweetish apple-cereal quality on the tongue. How do they make this? The finish was really biting with an alcohol heat in the throat. This is not the way to go on a holiday weekend.

2.63/5  rDev +6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The dozenth entry into Swill Fest 2010's guestbook. It pours a familiarly clear jaundice topped by nearly a finger of white foam. The nose comprises dirty rice (real dirt, not the style of rice mix known as dirty), bad wheat, and light syrup. The taste is kinda heavy on the corn syrup, while the burnt wheat brings up the rear. The body is a heavy-ish light, with a light moderate carbonation and a steel-y finish. Not the worst thing consumed tonight, but definitely not the best, either.

2.15/5  rDev -13.3%

My brother brought me a 40oz bottle of this as a joke more than anything else, this poured a very bright yellow with no head or lacing. Smell is a little sour and chemical-y. Taste starts off much like this as well but finishes with a megaton of corn flavor. Mouthfeel is thin, but somewhat clean.

I've had worse, but still this is pretty awful. Maybe worth trying just once to say you did.

3.15/5  rDev +27%

A rather drinkable strong beer, Labatt Maximum Ice does have it's moments. Pours out to a medium golden color with a short lived white head of foam. No lace. Medium low carbonation. Aromas are quite sweet, and have notes of corn and grain leading the pack of otherwise normal smells of macro beer. Taste is very sweet and dense; strong notes of sweet alcohol esters, corn, thick malt. Not bad. Mouthfeel is boardering on sticky sweet and syrupy, but remained tolerable. Drinkability is average. Not bad for a higher ABV brew. Special thanks goes out to Derek for the sample.

1.98/5  rDev -20.2%

5 kids, x-mas.,3 b-days, & new years...yup, i'm down to this ; poured a decent looking gold w/ a thin white head which dissapeared as quickly as i poured and left almost no lacing in my giant mug ; an almost noxious alcoholic and corn adjunct smell, almost a note of hop in there, though ; tastes like i should drink it from a paper bag, a big sweet corn taste up front w/ a vinous harsh alcohol taste to follow ; a watery,yet syrupy thick mouthfeel w/ little co2 ; i wouldn't drink this unless i was an alcoholic...

1.64/5  rDev -33.9%

Sometimes I am convinced my wife hates me!... So she comes home from work with an evil glint of glee in her eyes. "Hey honey, I got a beer for you!" I look up oh hell no! Enter Labatt Max Ice in a can.

Yes I know a beer should always be served in a glass; however, malt liquor is best served directly from the original vessel in a paper bag and dam near frozen.

Appearance: Yes I poured it in my glass. The body of the beer is a bubbling pale yellow coloration. A sudsy white head stands up proudly.

Smell: Over cooked cereal and green apple aroma. Vague whiffs of something resembling industrial detergent.

Taste: The flavor closely mirrors the aroma. It is not gag inducing but this is a beer to drink for buzz worthyness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light for chugging. The alcohol isnt exactly rocket fuel but aint pleasant. As far as drinkability you got to be kidding. Not to be repeated unless you are broke and desperate.

2.6/5  rDev +4.8%

well this stuff sucks. Get drunk and visit a frat party.
Tastes pretty bad, stale corn. Carbonation and mouthfeel are pretty ok actually, so you can at least drink it and get a nice buzz on. The other plus is the price, nice 1.50. Medium good for the style. More alcohol and better tasting than olde english so i'd at least recommend it over the good ole' pissfoty

to view more.
Labatt Maximum Ice from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.