Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Monk's Café Flemish Sour AleMonk's Café Flemish Sour Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: nomad on 06-19-2003

Presented in an 11.2oz. bottle with no freshness date and poured into a tulip glass. Had a murky brownish-red color with a fast-fading vanilla head that deposited minimal lace.
The smell was decidedly sour with a lot of sweet-tart berry notes and an underlying woody essence. The taste had a tangy sweetness which brought notions of raspberries, blackberries and black currant. Some light oak flavor and a zippy, almost puckering sourness finish things off. The feel was light- to medium-bodied with a tight carbonation, dry and clean.
Damn, I don't know what to make of this style. It was pretty easy to drink. I wouldn't mind trying more of this style and will look for them in the future. Thanks go out to frank4sail for the gift from PA!

(From Spring Break Notes)

Picked this one up at Hop City in Atlanta. This was my first sour from a purchased bottle. Here we go.

A--Poured into my Duvel tulip. Poured a ruby read with lots of carbonation bubbling from the bottom of the glass. Stared at them for a long time before finally sampling the beer. Also, beer had a creamy white head that was foamy at the start and had great retention throughout the drink.

S--Sweet and tart green apple. It is a hard smell to contemplate. Yeasty smell up front with an overly sweet finish. Not what I was expecting.

T--Follows the nose. This is the sweetest tasting sour I have ever had. It was like drinking a sour patch candy for me. Sour at first then overly sweet to finish. What a strange contrast.

M--The carbonation cleaned my palate with each sip. It felt bubbly and delicious in my mouth.

O--Not the best sour I have had. Pretty run-of-the-mill actually, but it was refreshing. I liked the sour finish and I would recommend it for that reason.

From notes June 4, 2011
11.2oz bottle

A - It pours brown with amber highlights. It is capped with one inch of beige head.

S - The aroma is fresh cut grass and cherries. I also get some vinegar.

T - I get a variety of flavors including brown sugar, dates, and apple vinegar.

M - Medium with medium carbonation.

O - It is different than I am used to. It goes from sweet to vinegary back to sweet again.

Poured this into a tulip and allowed it to warm up a bit before drinking.

Poured a nice dark reddish amber with a dark lacy head that stayed on the glass.

Smell was acetic with a strong smell of cherries, some sweetness, and an underlying smell of vinegar and funk.

I was a bit disappointed with the taste. It has a good sour cherry with a musty funk, but ends with a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy and not the degree of sourness I was expecting.

Although I have had better sours, I would recommend this one to those just starting out or to anyone who wants to keep several on hand as they are easy to find and priced well for this style.

Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.