Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Monk's Café Flemish Sour AleMonk's Café Flemish Sour Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: nomad on 06-19-2003

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle poured into my tall, Lion Tulip glass. It was a little on the cold side to start.

A- A normal pour left a 2-finger, fluffy, tan head that eventually dropped to just under 1/2 finger. There was a lot of carbonation in the clean, mahogany body. As I drank, it left some of the widest, sticky rings I've seen with spotting in between layers.

S- At first, I got a sense of sour cream with a wet, woody background. There were hints of spice, fruit (something between raspberry and tart cherries), and a little red wine vinegar. A little warmth and some time for familiarity seemed to soften the sour aroma.

T- It's quite complex. There was a good portion of sour, hints of wood, and a little fruity flavor in spots with some lighter, vinegar accents. Very clean, dry in the finish. It says "mildly sour" on the neck. Maybe it's a good initiation.

M- There was a ton of soft and foamy carbonation and it was bone-dry in the end.

D- It's a new style to me (maybe my first true, commericially brewed sour), and it seemed good for the style when I checked out the guidlines. It's not a thirst quencher or a chugger by any means, but I'm sure that's not its purpose. I think it's sour nature is something to appreciate. It's definitely sparked my interest in the style.

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

A - This beer pours a clear dark ruby brown color. It has a nice fluffy off-white head. The color of the head reminds me of an apple slice starting to brown. There are also some carbonation bubbles present.

S - The smell is a bit sour and tart. There is also some oakiness and some funk present. Other notes I am getting include Cherry, grapes, and a touch of vinegar.

T - The taste is sour and tart up front. There is some yeast funkiness in the middle, but not all that much. I am also getting notes of fruit, brown sugar, and some cinnamon. The finish is quite clean. There is no hop presence here at all.

M - This has a medium body and moderate carbonation. It goes down easy and has a good flavor. It is sour and tart, but not too much.

D - It has good drinkability. I drank this faster than I thought I would. It has good flavor and is very easy to drink. I like this beer, and I can't wait to try others of this style.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

11.2 fl. oz. bottle, no dating, poured into a Chimay chalice. Very high level of carbonation, so I had to pour slowly. Ruby red body that is mostly clear and lets the light through. Bubbly tan head that actually dissipates fairly quickly but leaves a nice cap and a little lacing.

Tart fruit up front in the aroma: cherry, raspberry, green apple. I get just a little sweet malt in the mix as well.

Very tasty. Nice blend of the tart and sour fruit flavors with the sweet malt. This one has a little more sweet balance than others of this style. Would be a good candidate for someone new to the more sour beers. Medium mouthfeel that is easy to drink. Nice brew.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured chilled in flared sample glass @davewhite4, the third of a sour beer trilogy.

A: thin head, but very active carbonation; cola color; snowglobe effect from all the yeast floating about
S: not much aroma; opens up into some vinegar
T: very flavorful; sour cherry dominates; good malt presence

Good specimen of a sour beer

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Clear, right in the middle of red and brown. Rust colored comes to mind but it's a bit brighter and less orangey. A finger of off white, slightly tan head rises with moderate retention. Some lacing.

S - Vinegar and tart fruit are the obvious aromas. Like the similar Flemish Reds, raspberry vinegarette comes to mind. There is also a touch of brown sugar and something that comes close to woody and leathery aromas.

T - Vinegar soaked fruit with a sprinkly of brown sugar dominate early and mid palate. Monk's Cafe starts off with an amazing sweet flavor best described as a mild mixture of brown sugar and vinegar, or even a tart apple juice. Indistinct berry flavors enter into the mix mid palate contributing both more tartness and more sweetness. Sweetness fades a touch while the tart fruit juice lingers on the edges of the tongue. Musty flavors begin their ascent with hints of wood, leather, cork, and oxidation. In some ways the finish resembles an older, fortified wine. Finishes with some residiual sweet and sour and a lengthy drawl of musty, minerally, cellar-esque flavor.

M - Fairly light in body with moderate carbonation. Despite the seemingly heavy and intense flavors, it's quite refreshing.

D - This really couldn't be any easier to drink. The light body and immense complexity of flavors make each sip exquisite, and there's new tastes to pick out each time. Extremely interesting, but tame enough that it never becomes overpowering. Another great experience with a Flemish sour.

2.76/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours a modest 1/2" head, and it's more of a stout brown than a red ale as the label says. Kind of like a lambic it's sour, although at least it's a cleaner sour than the raw hamburger taste I got in the last lambic. In fact the best descriptor for the Monk's I'd say would be pickle juice.

Hey, this is probably a excellent example of this type of beer. Honestly it's just not my thing.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance is a dark red amber with a thick head and fair lace. Smell of young sour wine thats mild with a sweet green apple note. Taste has a nice balance with the sweet and sour thats dry at the end. Mouthfeel has a medium feel with good body and carbonation. Actually better than what I expected for my first sour ale.

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Allowed to warm up.

A - Clear dark red/brown body with a creamy 3 finger off-white, pink hued head. Settles down to a nice cap with thick edging and great lacing.

S - Light sour cherries and malts. Some lactic and oak notes. Pretty boring and one dimensional.

T - Very tame and light on the flavor. Slightly sour cherries with an oaky finish. Some very light lactic notes, but otherwise this is very easy drinking. Mouth feel is creamy and well carbonated.

O - A pretty average oud bruin. Low on the lactic and sour notes. It has some nice flavors, and is light enough to be quaffable, but its not my go to for the style.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Cooper's Tavern and at Mason Lounge. I can't stop drinking this stuff, and every time I order something else, I regret not having ordered the Monk's. I guess I'm even more a sour fan than I thought; used to think I was a malt guy, period). The aroma isn't great, smells like vinegar, actually. But I could drink ten of these in a row. Any other favorites I have -- Founders Imperial Stout, Southern Tier Jahva, Mikkeller Black Hole, Tyranena Dirty Old Man -- I can only drink two or three before feeling "up to here" (holding open hand at mid-throat). I can and want to drink as many of these sours as possible.

Note: I love this stuff, but I'd better adjust my original numerical rating (4.88), since I have very little experience with sours. From what I can see in other reviews of sours, this one is not an elite form of the style. I shouldn't be so affected by such things, but I don't want to be a grade-inflator. And its absolutely true that this beer isn't very complex. (But it's so damn drinkable!)

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.