2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Monk's Café Flemish Sour AleMonk's Café Flemish Sour Ale

Ratings: 2067

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nomad on 06-19-2003)
View: Beers (74) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,067 | Reviews: 1,018 | Show All Ratings:
Rayek

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Served in a snifter.

A: Deep mahogany with good clarity and little visible carbonation. A small and wispy head quickly falls to a ring. Leaves no lace.

S: Very sour in the nose. A distinct red wine vinegar aroma dominates. Dark fruits help offset the sour.

T: Lots of dark fruit flavors start things. Red grape, plum and raisin do yeoman's duty. A bit of pepper adds some spice. The sourness comes on late with an extremely puckering lemon flavor.

M: The medium-light body feels a touch thin. The carbonation is a bit low.

D: This is a nice Oud Bruin. The sourness was actually quite refreshing. Hopefully I'll get to revisit this one.

09-25-2010 03:45:53 | More by Rayek
xnicknj

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

on tap at Monk's - review done from notes.

A - Nice clear reddish color which leaves sticky lacing all along the rim of the glass.

S - Dashes of fruit and coriander populate the nose, along with hints of sourness.

T - The beer almost instantly refreshes the drinker despite the sweet and tart flavors which swirl around the palate. Dark fruit and sour flavors glance the tongue without becoming overwhelming. Lactic sourness rounds everything out with a dry, bitter finish.

M/D - Bubbly and smooth, you can't help but desire another one, especially with its surprisingly smooth and refreshing qualities.

This was one of the first sours I ever tried years ago, and the delicious qualities are still ringing true to this day.

08-28-2010 07:34:32 | More by xnicknj
armock

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

This is my go to beer at my local bar when theres nothing on the new beer list that I want to try.

A - Pours a ruby color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a wonderful sour nose of apple and dark fruits

T - Follows the nose with sour apples and dark fruit flavors

M - This beer has a fuller body with higher carbonation to it

D - I love this stuff I could seriously drink this stuff all night long when I'm at the Gingerman I love the taste to me its one of the most easy drinking sours out there worth getting to try if you see it

05-23-2010 20:14:04 | More by armock
emmasdad

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Not my favorite style, but I tried it on tap at B.J.s Temecula. Pours a garnet/ruby red color, with a bit of tan lacing on top. Smells of red wine vinegar, tart cherries and lactic acid. Flavors not much different, although I detect a bit of sweetness, which plays nicely off of the sour funk. Crisp and refreshing, though I doubt I could drink more than one.

04-04-2010 01:17:58 | More by emmasdad
rfgetz

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark reddish mahogany color, dense and creamy off white head, good retention and lacing.
Smell is of new red wine - slightly vinous, acidic and oaky. Taste brings the wine-like flavors with a big hit of balsamic vinegar and adds just a hint of tart cherry and sticky sweetness. Medium bodied, slightly chewy and sticky, palate coating but without a big aftertaste. Decent beer, a little lighter than expected, possibly could use a little more aging on it.

02-26-2010 14:53:28 | More by rfgetz
david18

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Had this at the Dive Bar on 75th Street on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The best thing about this beer is the amazing red color. I only had a small glass of it but I think i could drink a bunch of this. The only problem is that it's a little sweet. Great sour aroma. Good carbonation. Again, amazing color. A little more sour and a little less sweet and it would be perfect.

01-15-2010 22:48:14 | More by david18
jampics2

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

On tap at the Beer Engine.

Decent looking beer - deep brown with a white head.

Smells of vinegar and sour funk. I don't like the nose on this, but I like similar beers (Dutchess), so I'm not going to totally ding it. It's acceptable for the style, just this particular vinegar smell doesn't make me crazy.

Taste is weird. Sweet and sour collide as vinegar fights overripe apple. Interesting at least.

A little thin and too vinegary for me, but an example of the style every fan should try.

12-29-2009 21:34:07 | More by jampics2
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured a ruby red color with a small white head. Nose is vinegar, fruits, strawberry perhaps and a definitevtartness. Taste is self is def tart from begining to end, great tasting blend of fruits, nice body and sweet. Very good brew, on tap much better versus bottle. My wife loved it.

10-27-2009 16:10:21 | More by barleywinefiend
Soneast

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at Dexter's Pub in Madison. Poured into a large tulip glass.

The pour produces a murky liquid, more ruby red than brown, maybe mahogany would be the appropriate term? Grows about a finger's worth of light brown colored head, that dissipates fairly quickly, to a bubbly ring, that leaves a small amount of lace.

The aroma: well I think apple cider vinegar sums it up. Quite a sour note, but also a touch of woody malt character with a hint of sweetness along the line of brown sugar, but mostly just...vinegar.

The flavor, fortunately, isn't all that vinegary. In fact, it is very good. A fair amount of tartness as to be expected, with a fruity component, more along the lines of a tart cherry I would say, with a touch of woodiness once again, the finish isn't overpoweringly sour, it's actually fairly sweet, yet retains a certain dryness.

Medium bodied, with pretty mild carbonation. Overall I thought the sour component was definitely tamed, and this might be a good introductory sour beer for the uninitiated. The vinegary aroma was off-putting at first, but it seemed to come into it's own as it warmed, both aroma and flavor-wise. A easily drinkable sour, that I would not mind drinking again.

10-23-2009 05:24:38 | More by Soneast
Symptomu

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

As a lover of sour brews I've developed a special affinity for this beers different take on sour. The color is a lovely clear but deep brown red and on tap the head is impressive. The sour aroma and even the tast of this beer is very lactic, yogurty, rather than acetic, vinegary. The mouthfeel is thin but not overly so. The sour lends to the brews drinkability without being too tangy, puckery. Flavors hint at cherry, crab apple, molasses, and plain yogurt. This is an excellent first timers sour though may not be much like its brethren.

09-30-2009 22:22:01 | More by Symptomu
eallured

Wisconsin

Served At brasserie V in Madison. 25cl "buffalo" tulip. Tan fluffy head sits atop a deep ruby beer. Head dissapates moderately.
Smells of sour cherries a little and a light venegar scent that isn't unpleasant. Taste is fairly sweet, this always catches me off guard because I am prepared for something more sour. A rich malty but not grainlike taste, a bit caramelly, not toasty or bready. Sour cherry is also there a little bit. Very faint metallic taste, less than other oude bruins (read dutchess).
Mouthfeel is fairly thick, a little cloying that isn't quite cut through by the acid. Medium carbonation typical of the style
drinkability suffers from the sweetness without a cleansing sourness, although sourness can dull the palate too much. I'd say I could drink a lot of these but it doesn't prevent me from drinking others.

09-21-2009 23:37:25 | More by eallured
lstokes

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Grace Tavern, apple cider colored with a minimal head (but then, the bartenders didn't seem to know that we like our heads!) and practically no lacing.

It smells like sour cherries, but has a lot of complex notes to it, some vinegar, the barest hint of funk, green apples and dried fruits. The taste is also solid, very sour but refreshingly so, and never puckering or acidic, but the mouth feel was almost too light for me, I wanted something more to roll around in my mouth.

It's not maybe the sourest of the sour ales, but it's drinkable! I even got a second one, which isn't something I can often say for this style. Would be amazing with some strong cheese.

09-11-2009 04:05:15 | More by lstokes
Throckmorton

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - something you don't see much - a true ruby toned brew - on a deep carmel/brown background. unusual. long lasting head, right to the bottom.

s - fruit, tart,

T - really nice balance of sourness, with a touch of sweet. personally, I could have done with a tad less sweetness, but still really nice overall.

M - good carbonation, and the tartness just skips across the tongue. light, but not thin at all.

D - to be enjoyed slowly, a great departure, but a one-after-another type.

08-22-2009 17:00:28 | More by Throckmorton
philipquarles

Connecticut

1.85/5  rDev -51.7%

On tap. Pours a very dark, clear red with a medium white head. Heavy acetic acid on the nose, though it doesn't smell very sour at all, just lots of vinegar. Very sugary, and somewhat vinous. Not incredibly appetizing. Tastes outright sweet. Again, acetic notes, but no real tart character. Some hints of artificial cherry. Light-medium body. Lingering, cloying sweetness. Utter shite.

08-17-2009 04:53:58 | More by philipquarles
ballewblake

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Severed in the monks cafe pint glass.
Filled to the top, a thin light head that didn't last, Too dark to really peg the color but it looks ruby red, right now. Barely any lacing on the glass. The nose is all vinegar, having a hard time smelling anything else, its actully so intense its off putting. I love sours and I'm actually thinking this is a bad keg (based on the bottle version I had a year ago.) Taste is uber sweet, no sour notes detected and I'm bummed. Barely getting some cherries but the sweet malts really dominate. Ultra heavy carbonation element in this draught, really cleans the tongue after every sip, priming it for the next swig. Really, I think this draught is off, not near what I remember the bottle being.

07-06-2009 02:52:41 | More by ballewblake
MaggieReed

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Had two of these @humpy's in downtown anchorage.

pours a deep red-brown with about an inch of nice, thick head.

s- tart cherries, brown sugar and wheat with a heavy malt presence rounding out the finish.

t-awesome- clearly if you look at my reviews I am a huge fan of this style, but this one has a presence that is not found in any but the best beers, and the taste was complex- not something my toungue will get bored with.

m- somewhat syrupy with moderate carbonation

d- not for everyone, but if you are a fan of the style you will enjoy this beer.

06-29-2009 06:14:44 | More by MaggieReed
TheFightfan1

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

A dark ruby color with a thick tiny bubbled heading(heading looked like whip cream at first glance).Left a nice lacing throughout.

Smell was sour apple and a couple of other darker fruit's

Taste from what I can remember was sour of course but it had a kind of blood taste to it. I can't explain it, thick like wine but you did want to have more.

Mouth felt good to me I've never even heard of this style (Flanders Ouid Bruin) full bodied , decent carbonation.

Drink is average at best I wouldn't really want to try this one again. I couldn't see myself having a couple or a session with this. For the other's out there give it a go because it is unique.

06-28-2009 12:28:13 | More by TheFightfan1
Jayli

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

had on tap at The Publick House 6/25/09
This beer poured an opaque raspberry coloring with a one finger white head that faded relatively quickly, no lacing to speak of. Nose is very sour - cherry, yeasty, asorted berry, a touch of wheat and some floral in the nose. Taste is - WOW made me pucker! Big sour presence at first sip but then back off a bit, sour cherries hit you first followed by some sour apple that I didn't pick up in the nose, yeast and wheat presence build in the middle with tartness of berry mixed in. Medium bodied with nice carbonation that helps with the tartness, relatively thick on the tongue and after the initial tartness, goes down fairly easily.
This is definitely a beer for those who like the style. Though I can appreciate the beer, it is definitely not a beer for me.

06-26-2009 16:36:02 | More by Jayli
sustainabrew

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

Look: A deep red that bleeds into brown at the right angles, with a creamy off white head floating atop. Laces quite nicely

Aroma: A mix of funk and sour cherries really stand taller than everything else.

Taste: The ale was surprisingly sweet, expecting a bit more sourness and pop. Sour fruit, like cherries and maybe a tart apple come through, but the sweet maltiness seems to take center stage. Just a bit of carbonation to clean the palate, was hoping for a little more. A medium bodied ale that heads to the heavier side of things.

Notes: A really interesting beer that I quite enjoyed, but I could only really drink one of these at a time. Just cloying enough in its sweetness to leave it a one beer and move on type of drink. Maybe if I was more in the mood i could go for another, but at this time it was a tad much. If you get a chance I would try it, just not sure about going for seconds.

06-22-2009 22:33:51 | More by sustainabrew
kwill

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%

A great sour beer. Not quite as good as Duchess, but for the price ($5 on draft) I haven't found a better Flemish ale. I didn't give it a 5.0 because it is a bit less intense than other sour beers (which might be good for some drinkers), and when I want a sour beer then I am looking for a sour beer.

06-15-2009 23:33:35 | More by kwill
mattster

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Had on tap at Papago Brewery 05/22/09. Was served by the great bar staff in a tulip from tap.

Presented with a nice ¾" thick creamy head of tan atop a dark reddish-brown (or was it brownish-red?) brew.

First smell and I was amazed. I am sure I got funny looks from people as I just sat there for about 45 seconds sniffing. It was like a trail mix of home dried fruits. Taste follows through with a nice slightly fruity ale - not sweet. Very pleasant and well worth a nice slow slip. Not super sour, but has the right amount of sour to make it really pleasant.

Wonderful mouth feel and a really good follow through. This is one of those beers that when someone says "I won't drink beer, I prefer a good red wine" - give them this.

To everything this good, there is always a down side: It isn't cheep. I did end up purchasing a few in bottles, which I will be reviewing at a later time.

05-25-2009 10:29:33 | More by mattster
thirdeye11

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Got this at the Dallas Gingerman. We get almost no sour beers in this market so I was really happy to see it.

A: Pours a nice murky reddish/brown with a 1 finger light tan head. Lacing is good as well.

S: Smells like a flanders style beer in that it's a little bit funky, fruity, and has some spices showing their way through this one.

T: Taste is really nice. Not too sour but it's there. Has some funk to it, but really muted which I'm completely ok with. I was enjoying the sweetness here, almost no bitter whatsoever. Perhaps some oak in it as well?

M: Nicely carbonated, weight is just about right too.

D: Pretty high. I wanted more but it was expensive.

Recommended to any drinker of any beverage. Very drinkable.

05-10-2009 23:07:12 | More by thirdeye11
Sean9689

On tap at FFF's BrewPub. This review is from notes dating 01/13. Pours reddish/brown with very little head. Smell is yeast/funk mixed with lots of fruit. Taste is sour cherries, yeast/funk with a nice tart finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body and a dry finish...much like champagne. I like this one, will revisit for sure.

04-17-2009 23:03:22 | More by Sean9689
stingrayvr6

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

Had at Local 44 in Philly. Poured a dark reddish purple into a tulip with a two finger cream colored head which was very resilient. The smell was unlike any other beer I have ever had, very fruity yet crisp and dry at the end. Smell of apples soaked in Brandy, grapes, cinnamon and spices. More like a desert wine or fine liquor than a beer in smell. Taste was similar with very fruity, sour apple taste at the front, then crisp, dry and bitter spices at the end. Carbonation was medium and pleasant. I just wanted to swish it around my mouth and keep it there to have that phenomenally complex taste with me forever. My new favorite beer, too bad this is so hard to find because it is other worldly. Truly a unique and beautiful thing.

04-06-2009 20:12:40 | More by stingrayvr6
ROBORB

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer poured a ruby, hazy red color with a very thin head. The aroma was teh best part of this beer. It smelled of candy, sugar, and cherries. I found the beer to be overly sweet at first sip but as the beer warmed it started getting more sour. This would be a great transitional beer for someone getting into sours.

03-24-2009 01:46:00 | More by ROBORB
Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.