Tripel Van De Garre - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 11-03-2003

served in the Du Garre glass in the establishment of the same name. This beer is, in short, the closest thing to heaven most of us will ever know. I could go and run throught the appearance,taste, etc, but really I'd just be wasting both my time and yours. The singluar fact remains, if you like beer, you will love Du Garre. If you haven't had it yet, add it to your life's goals to visit Bruges--just to enjoy this beer.

It took us a few attempts to find it--the alley the pub is tucked away in is just about the sketchiest thing you'll ever see. But once we finally located it, and figured out when they'd open, we had found the place to be full, but always with an open seat. If there wasn't an open table, the customers cheerfully scooted over and made room for us, leading to us making new friends. The beer we had was so good, that I couldn't help but return later that day for a couple more. Do be careful, though--this is a very dangerous beer. There is absolutely no alcohol flavor to this brew, and at 11% that's a dangerous combination. Make sure you know the way back to your bed well enough to compensate for the effects!

This beer was the crown jewel of my beer adventure through Europe. It was served in a bar, De Garre, that was hidden in an alley way near downtown Brugee Belgium. I was with my professor who had been to Brugge six times before he finally found De Garre. The beer is only served on tap in this location and you are only allowed to have three glasses of their beer before they cut you off because you won't be able to appreciate the masterpiece of the beer they have made.
I only say all this to add to hype I had going into trying this beer.
The appearance: the beer is served in the Garre glass ware that reminds me of a oversized bourbon sniffer. The color is a clear golden nectar. The beer looks to have a large head, but it seems to help protect the beer.
The smell wasn't overpowering but you realized what you are about to drink. There isn't a alcohol smell at all.
Taste: the beer had a crisp taste and had a full body flavor of the different bouquets.
Mouthfeel: a little bubbly but smooth. Had light creamy texture.
Overall: the beer had a had a large hype for going in and I feel like it lived up to it.

Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.