Tripel Van De Garre - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 11-03-2003

served in the Du Garre glass in the establishment of the same name. This beer is, in short, the closest thing to heaven most of us will ever know. I could go and run throught the appearance,taste, etc, but really I'd just be wasting both my time and yours. The singluar fact remains, if you like beer, you will love Du Garre. If you haven't had it yet, add it to your life's goals to visit Bruges--just to enjoy this beer.

It took us a few attempts to find it--the alley the pub is tucked away in is just about the sketchiest thing you'll ever see. But once we finally located it, and figured out when they'd open, we had found the place to be full, but always with an open seat. If there wasn't an open table, the customers cheerfully scooted over and made room for us, leading to us making new friends. The beer we had was so good, that I couldn't help but return later that day for a couple more. Do be careful, though--this is a very dangerous beer. There is absolutely no alcohol flavor to this brew, and at 11% that's a dangerous combination. Make sure you know the way back to your bed well enough to compensate for the effects! (1,136 characters)

This beer was the crown jewel of my beer adventure through Europe. It was served in a bar, De Garre, that was hidden in an alley way near downtown Brugee Belgium. I was with my professor who had been to Brugge six times before he finally found De Garre. The beer is only served on tap in this location and you are only allowed to have three glasses of their beer before they cut you off because you won't be able to appreciate the masterpiece of the beer they have made.
I only say all this to add to hype I had going into trying this beer.
The appearance: the beer is served in the Garre glass ware that reminds me of a oversized bourbon sniffer. The color is a clear golden nectar. The beer looks to have a large head, but it seems to help protect the beer.
The smell wasn't overpowering but you realized what you are about to drink. There isn't a alcohol smell at all.
Taste: the beer had a crisp taste and had a full body flavor of the different bouquets.
Mouthfeel: a little bubbly but smooth. Had light creamy texture.
Overall: the beer had a had a large hype for going in and I feel like it lived up to it. (1,119 characters)

Drank at Staminee De Garre in Bruges. I don't give a lot of perfect scores, but I can't find anything wrong with this. Appearance is amazing. Smell and taste is amazing. Mouthfeel is like silk. Can't wait to open the magnum I brought home with me. Wow. (252 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent beer. It is available in several bars near where I live. It is served with Gouda cheese, which complements the tripel extremely well. (154 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

While studying abroad in Luxembourg, took a weekend trip to Bruges and randomly encountered the bar. Walked in--could not get a table. Determined, we went back the next day, and sat for two hours at a table by the window.

Served in the de Garre glass.

Appearance:2-3 inches of head, lasted throughout entire beer with prominent lacing. Beautiful color.

Smell: clove, citrus.

Taste: Sweet at first, then lingers into a spicier finish, but one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Like no other trippel.

Mouthfeel: sticky, and you don't notice the alcohol as much as you should. The sign warns of a 3 per customer limit, as it is 11 ABV, but I feel like I could have doubled that...until I got up to leave.

Went back to Bruges 2 months later with my dad just to take him here and show him this beer. He was certainly appreciative. This was the beer that got me truly interested in great beers. I'll never forget it. (924 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Due to a very helpful tip from my man John..on tap at Brouwers...
This mystical being spawned in an alley in Brugge. The goldenrod colour displayed in my glass offers an array of various breeds of hope. Hope for mankind. For the kids. Clouded, not obscured. I lift and sniff from the buxom glass. Clove and pepper, some floral notes, a bit of sweet malt, a bit of Clousseau. The taste is a phenom, the slightest bit of sweetness drowned out by a melange of yeasty flavors, pepper, clove, thyme, and a bouquet des fleurs. Unique and exceptional. I was not truly prepared for this beer. I hope I make it back up to the lands of the north before this wonder is disappeared. (670 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Bright and golden with a huge creamy white head and thick lacing.

S: Very faint aroma over all, but there is some sweet banana, spices, yeast and faint alcohol.

T: Slightly sweet malts with a very well balanced faint hop bitterness. Some nice spice and a hint of banana.

M: Very smooth and creamy quickly followed by a nice prickly carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden, but there is a slight warming in the finish.

O: Great beer at a great place and the cheese that comes with it, pairs perfectly. One of my favorite beers on my 2 days in Belgium.   (562 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

This is probably one of the biggest reasons to go out to Bruges, besides the chocolate waffles. Found at a tiny little bar called Staminee de Garre, or some such, they serve this house tripel there, and it can rub elbows with any of the other impressive beers on their hefty list.

It is poured into a large snifter glass with a gigantic, billowing, mushroom cloud-like head. Right away, the golden color and lace tells you that this is going to be one tasty brew. Smell is subtle but you can detect slight hops, spiciness, and some sweetness, akin to melon. The first sip affirms your trip to Bruges, and Belgium in general. Incredibly smooth for a tripel, doesn't offend with the kick-your-ass spiciness you can sometimes get from the style, and finishes sweetly. The mouthfeel is creamy and oh-so-inviting. I usually had to have a hat trick of these before I was done. Simply magnificent, and a tribute to the Belgians and their art. (937 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Drank a couple of these at Staminee de Garre in Brugge - October 2008

Hazy gold topped with a dense, creamy white head in a goblet. Fruity and spicy in the nose. Sweet.

Big, sweet maltiness but plenty of spicy hop character to offset it. Big and bold but smooth and well balanced. It's lively and just a bit warming but the considerable alcohol is masked. Dryish finish. Very, very nice tripel.

It may be worth it to go to Brugge for this beer alone. (453 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10%

After finishing my first one, I remarked how the remaining head in the glass was like getting a free merengue pie with my beer. After having the second one, I laughed as a lady took a right into the men's room, instead of a left. After a third, I though I would pass out from watching some young folk from the States come down the corner stairs and practically fall. Mid way through the fourth, I thought that I should move to Brugge!

This is one of my favorite beers, and of course, is most unattainable. It is a beautiful golden color, with a white head that screams "Belgian Lace". Appropriate for Brugge, the capital of lace manufacturing.
The taste was a wonderful mix of sweetness and alcohol. A great blend of styles between a Strong Golden Belgian and an Abbey Tripel.
With such a high sugar content, it was not syrupy at all. It has a crispness to it that belies its high alcohol content.

Note: Having gone to Brugge after visiting Westvleteren, I was shocked to find that the Westy may not be the 'World's best beer." It could actually be this wonderful creation, found down a narrow side street off the main market of Brugge. (1,141 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

This was a bottle I received from almalkin after his trip to Brugge. I would have brought a few bottles of this on my trip, but I didnt know De Garre sold their tripel in bottles until after I left Brugge.

This was opened on my wife and I's one year anniversary and poured into over-sized wine glasses.

Best before date of December 15, 2008

A bulbous head rises to the top of the glass, sitting atop a hazy medium gold body. Big lacing. Very nice.

Smells of slightly sweet light fruit with a bready finish.

Starts sweet and finishes slightly spicy with bits of alcohol. It has a bit of a staleness, that shows up as a somewhat biscuity flavor. This is best consumed fresh at De Garre.

Smooth and not as prickly as the head would suggest

The best tripel i have had. An absolute beauty. I tried my best to review this beer subjectively, its hard when you have it at De Garre or on your 1 year anniversary. (911 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

I had this beer at Staminee De Garre. It was served in a cool glass with a little plate of cheese.

A. A light golded color with a thick beautiful head. Also some nice lacing as the beer in the glass gets lower.

S. A fruity malty smell. Also the alcohol smell was present.

T. This beer was great. Hoppier than other tripples that I have tried. Spicy and fruity with an obvious alcohol taste.

M. Nice hop bite and dry finish. The alcohol is very warming on the palate.

D. I thought that this beer was very drinkable. However, my wife failed to finish hers so, unfortunately, I had to finish it for her. The alcohol isn't very well hidden in this beer but for some reason that taste helps the final product. (709 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%

Drank from De Garre bar belgium.

A - Honey copper colour with a huge thick white head that stays the distance. In the Garre glass it says drink me.

S - A little spice with yeasty notes and citrus

T - Very powerful triple with spicey marmalaide note and some heavy orange citrus flavours. The finish is long and spicy bitter and a little booze

M - Medium body and carbonation is low

D - This is a top quality tripel. No, this is the best Tripel I have had to date. (468 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

On draft at de Garre cafe in Brugge. Golden body. Huge giant white head. Poured into cool de Garre chalice. High retention. Soapy sticky lacing. Aroma wispy fruity hoppy. Taste mildly sweet, fruity, slight wheat taste, zero alcohol. Easy to drink. Refreshing. Totally delicious. (278 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This is one of the best beers I have ever had, but unfortunately it is brewed in the small town of Brugge in Belgium so it will be a long time before I get to drink it again. Everyone else is right- it is very diffiicult to find De Garre, but once you do, this beer is well worth it. It is served with a delicious tray of cheese that compliments the flavor of the beer perfectly. Excellent head... beautiful lace. It has a nice balance of fruit/sweet flavors with the malt. Be careful of the alcohol- you don't notice it very much as you are drinking it, but it will catch up with you! Buy a bottle to take home- it is the perfect way to remember your trip to this beautiful canal city. (686 characters)

10/22/2014

On tap at O'Brien's

Orange tinged gold. Frothy white cap. Aroma is of orange, stone fruit, banana, sweet bread. Estery and warm. Lightly spicy No alcohol is noticeable. The flavor is sugary baked bread and apricot with banana and orange. Rich malt and flavorful malt. Lightly spicy throughout. Warming alcohol in the finish. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Sticky finish. Great beer. (406 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap at De Garre during our trip to Belgium last week. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a De Garre snifter with a strange, thick pedestal. Really interesting glass; glad that they sell them.

Pours a clear golden-apricot color with loads of sticky lacing.

The nose is quite delicate with a bit of spice and some nice fruit. Light stone fruits and pear plus a bit of pepper and clove. The flavor is a bit more spicy than the nose, but also has the nice fruit components.

Medium body with crisp carbonation and just a tad too much booze.

Really enjoyable; one of the best tripels I've ever had. (597 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

With a tremendous amount of fan-fare, its rare to see a Belgian Tripel as a real standout beer. Anxious to find out why this one excels, it already impresses with a magnum-size bottle- corked and caged.

With a pop and a pour, the ale layers into the snifter with a bright golden body and a creamy column of froth that rises with a gentle swirl. Its cottony-white foam retains the session effortlessly and trickles the glass with spotty lace. Its light haze sings the praises of its unfiltered and refermented character.

Vivid aromas of honeysuckle, fresh baking bread and light confections surprises the nose with its fruit and fauna. Oranges, apples, lemons, bananas and light peach provide a burst of ripeness that is the perfect counterpart to spices and hops. Freshly cracked white pepper, mild coriander, paradise seed and slim clove blend into a damp hay for a curious earthen note heading into taste.

Its soft succulents wraps around the tongue with light and crisp bread. As the sweetness folds into the mix, its subtle taste of cookie dough and marzipan approaches nutty and light toasted proportions. Its fruit and spice middle is met with light marzipan and citrus peels that bounces off of exotic lemongrass spice before diving into a lightly bitter finish, laced with fresh straw and hay.

Medium bodied, the ale is zesty with ample carbonation that gives rise to the beer's underlying white wine acidity. As it wisps away the sweetness, the malts seem to vanish right off of the tongue like powdered sugar. What's left behind is dry bread, earthen bitterness and wine-like echoes.

I think that the allure of the beer is that is a more whimsically sweetened Belgian Tripel that resembles more of a Strong Golden Ale except with the high effervescence of Tripel. I rather enjoy the lighter earthy flavors and the softer sweetness that this ale provides- making it worthy of its high praise. (1,906 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%

456th review on BA
Draft to De Garre glass

App- This was a vibrant orange with yellow and some amber highlights. Gigantic 3 finger head that lasted forever. Sticky lace all over and a puddle of head throughout the beer.

Smell- A very good smelling beer. Lots of yeast, candied sugar and some mustiness.

Taste- This thing was just great. It was the color and smell of a Triple but had the taste of a small quad. Lots of candied fruit and a bigness if that makes sense to you.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbed. It left some sweetness and some candy flavors on the palate.

Drink- Every beer drinker should try this beer. Hands down. Great beer. I am shocked this only has 24 reviews. I want to go back and have a couple more glasses and then a growler(I can't) and then a case of bottles. So good. (806 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Arrives in the Garre snifter, hazed deep gold in color, with a mountainous white head that retains and laces well. Impressive.

S/T - Layers of sweet complexity unfold through the drink. Candy sugar, touch of green apple, banana, lemongrass, and only a little bit of yeasty funk. Abv stays well hidden, with only a warming sensation and never tasted outright.

M - Considering the abv, stays light and fluffy across the palate, finishing crisp and dry.

O - Spectacular, best tripel I've had yet. I wouldn't hesitate getting it again. (539 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap at Teresa's ...

Poured with a massive foamy white head over a clear burnt gold body with lots of lacing

Aromas are huge - lots of fermented grape / white wine, with apricot, and Belgian yeast.

Flavors tame some of the vinous qualities, but still come thru strong. Floral hops, old apple, slight barnyard funk, and Chardonnay.

Mouthfeel is wicked smooth. Carbonation is low, but it's by no means thick. Slick and smooth going down.

Beautiful triple... A perfect gateway beer for the white wine connosieur. (519 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to Nanoslug for carrying this magnum all the way back from Brugge. This is the 25th anniversary bottling (unlike the 20th in the picture). Served in my Westvleteren chalice.

A - Pours with a few fingers of eggshell foam that dissipates to a think cap and leaves spotty lacing behind. The body is a hazy peaches & cream color.

S - Light booze, grapes, starfruit(!), banana, cloves, malted wheat. Very rich & complex.

T - The booze is better hidden here, and the flavor profile is more smoothed out. There's more wheat and caramel malt and a little less spice. The fruit flavors mingle with some nice estery character from the alcohol. The taste is more of a 4.25 for me, but I rounded up and bumped down the appearance (which was borderline 4.5).

M - Light tingly carbonation, a touch of heat after half a glass. The body is medium-light and seems a little thin for a 10.5% beer.

D - This will get you wrecked. It's a delicious quick-drinking high ABV beer. I was worried that a few of us wouldn't be up for killing the magnum, but it actually ran out quite quickly. I'd love to try it on-tap at the source - I somehow missed this place when I was in Brugge last summer. (1,181 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from the tap into a branded tulip at De Garre in Bruges.

A: Pure orange with an off-white head. 3 fingers of head with great retention.

S: Like a tripel should smell. Spicy clove, slight banana bread, yeast, and citrus.

T: Silky smooth with bubble gum dominant along with some spices and slight banana flavor. Typical taste, but verrry well done.

M: Amazingly smooth - can't do better.

D: Dangerous at 11%. Alcohol undetectable and I had a few. Then I stood up. Wow. (478 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at De Garre.

Comes out with a voluminous slightly off-white? head. Michael Jackson lacing aka the best.

Peppery spice, pear, some sweetness, a little flowery.

Yeasty, peppery spice, light fruit.

So smooth. Carbonation is great on the tongue. Medium-full body. Some alcohol heat is present. (301 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at the Garre restaurant.

A: Comes in a great-looking goblet. The body is a hazy golden / apricot color, clear body except for the generous carbonation up the center. It sustains an enormous white head that never vanishes, leaving washes of thick lacing during each sip.

S: Bananas, sour apples, pear, orange, and surprisingly strong phenolic character (pepper, clove).

T: Everything in the nose comes out here. Begins with a beautiful fruit character of bananas and oranges, but exhibits green apples and pear in the mid-taste. I also taste biscuit at times. The banana reawakens in the finish and aftertaste, with a burst of pepper and clove to liven up the palate.

M: Lightly drying finish. Medium-bodied, slightly prickly with medium-high carbonation.

D: Dangerously drinkable. Too bad it's only available here; it's apparently their house tripel. Good stuff. (879 characters)

Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.