2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tripel Van De Garre - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 11-03-2003)
View: Beers (74) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 139 | Reviews: 49 | Show All Ratings:
Rifugium

3.83/5  rDev -12.4%

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Hey, I was supposed to get a free piece of cheese with this beer, and I didn't! Oh well.

Anyway, this triple was served on tap in a tulip glass, coppery-peach color, moderately carbonated with a slight, white head that left some nice doily-ish lacing. Aroma of pale malts, floral hops, and light fruits. Taste followed the aroma, with pale malts, candi, and fruity esters up front, pear, white wine; light peppery spice and floral hops come in mid-palate, followed by a bit of breadiness and a somewhat bitter, dry finish, with a definite hit of alcohol. Medium body, and quite drinkable, but not quite as smooth as I prefer my tripels to be.

12-15-2011 00:45:28 | More by Rifugium
drabmuh

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at Churchkey in DC, served in a tulip. Decently priced for a beer that is only served in a few bars IN THE WORLD. There are moments when I'm drinking where I turn slightly reflective, I've had some of the top beers on everyone's lists but even a random long shot beer like this, that I can find it in a pub, just shocks me to no end. A long time want of mine, falls right in my lap. Thank you Churchkey, you really bring the tasty.

Beer is yellow, mild haze but basically clear, great tight white head, small bubbles, some lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is tea like, sweet, nice sharp yeast character, sweet and clean.

Beer is dry, very effervescent in the mouth, good finish, a mild spiciness on the midpalate of the beer, it is almost like the beer is jumping off of my tongue, the more I drink the better it gets. I would drink a lot of this beer indifferent to the damage it is doing to my liver.

12-11-2011 02:01:28 | More by drabmuh
Thorpe429

4.47/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at De Garre during our trip to Belgium last week. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a De Garre snifter with a strange, thick pedestal. Really interesting glass; glad that they sell them.

Pours a clear golden-apricot color with loads of sticky lacing.

The nose is quite delicate with a bit of spice and some nice fruit. Light stone fruits and pear plus a bit of pepper and clove. The flavor is a bit more spicy than the nose, but also has the nice fruit components.

Medium body with crisp carbonation and just a tad too much booze.

Really enjoyable; one of the best tripels I've ever had.

09-15-2011 13:49:15 | More by Thorpe429
FosterJM

4.47/5  rDev +2.3%

456th review on BA
Draft to De Garre glass

App- This was a vibrant orange with yellow and some amber highlights. Gigantic 3 finger head that lasted forever. Sticky lace all over and a puddle of head throughout the beer.

Smell- A very good smelling beer. Lots of yeast, candied sugar and some mustiness.

Taste- This thing was just great. It was the color and smell of a Triple but had the taste of a small quad. Lots of candied fruit and a bigness if that makes sense to you.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbed. It left some sweetness and some candy flavors on the palate.

Drink- Every beer drinker should try this beer. Hands down. Great beer. I am shocked this only has 24 reviews. I want to go back and have a couple more glasses and then a growler(I can't) and then a case of bottles. So good.

05-12-2011 05:35:10 | More by FosterJM
cneville

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

While studying abroad in Luxembourg, took a weekend trip to Bruges and randomly encountered the bar. Walked in--could not get a table. Determined, we went back the next day, and sat for two hours at a table by the window.

Served in the de Garre glass.

Appearance:2-3 inches of head, lasted throughout entire beer with prominent lacing. Beautiful color.

Smell: clove, citrus.

Taste: Sweet at first, then lingers into a spicier finish, but one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Like no other trippel.

Mouthfeel: sticky, and you don't notice the alcohol as much as you should. The sign warns of a 3 per customer limit, as it is 11 ABV, but I feel like I could have doubled that...until I got up to leave.

Went back to Bruges 2 months later with my dad just to take him here and show him this beer. He was certainly appreciative. This was the beer that got me truly interested in great beers. I'll never forget it.

04-29-2011 15:15:00 | More by cneville
RadicalEd

served in the Du Garre glass in the establishment of the same name. This beer is, in short, the closest thing to heaven most of us will ever know. I could go and run throught the appearance,taste, etc, but really I'd just be wasting both my time and yours. The singluar fact remains, if you like beer, you will love Du Garre. If you haven't had it yet, add it to your life's goals to visit Bruges--just to enjoy this beer.

It took us a few attempts to find it--the alley the pub is tucked away in is just about the sketchiest thing you'll ever see. But once we finally located it, and figured out when they'd open, we had found the place to be full, but always with an open seat. If there wasn't an open table, the customers cheerfully scooted over and made room for us, leading to us making new friends. The beer we had was so good, that I couldn't help but return later that day for a couple more. Do be careful, though--this is a very dangerous beer. There is absolutely no alcohol flavor to this brew, and at 11% that's a dangerous combination. Make sure you know the way back to your bed well enough to compensate for the effects!

04-13-2011 19:19:00 | More by RadicalEd
beertunes

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Served in goblet. Poured a lightly hazy golden-honey color with over 2 inches of fluffy and rocky white head that had very good retention and lacing.

The aroma was a very example of the expected spice and yeast over a solid grain base. Same on the tongue, all the anticipated flavors of the style, grain spice and yeast, just very well defined and bold.

The body was good, however I found it to be a bit thicker and stickier than typical. Drinkability was excellent. If time had allowed, I would have had another one immediately.

Overall, a very well-done example of one of my favorite styles. A must try if you see it.

02-18-2011 22:46:12 | More by beertunes
dragonWhale

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Due to a very helpful tip from my man John..on tap at Brouwers...
This mystical being spawned in an alley in Brugge. The goldenrod colour displayed in my glass offers an array of various breeds of hope. Hope for mankind. For the kids. Clouded, not obscured. I lift and sniff from the buxom glass. Clove and pepper, some floral notes, a bit of sweet malt, a bit of Clousseau. The taste is a phenom, the slightest bit of sweetness drowned out by a melange of yeasty flavors, pepper, clove, thyme, and a bouquet des fleurs. Unique and exceptional. I was not truly prepared for this beer. I hope I make it back up to the lands of the north before this wonder is disappeared.

01-07-2011 11:05:27 | More by dragonWhale
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from the tap into a branded tulip at De Garre in Bruges.

A: Pure orange with an off-white head. 3 fingers of head with great retention.

S: Like a tripel should smell. Spicy clove, slight banana bread, yeast, and citrus.

T: Silky smooth with bubble gum dominant along with some spices and slight banana flavor. Typical taste, but verrry well done.

M: Amazingly smooth - can't do better.

D: Dangerous at 11%. Alcohol undetectable and I had a few. Then I stood up. Wow.

11-05-2010 04:32:49 | More by BucBasil
Damian

3.95/5  rDev -9.6%

Drank on-tap at Staminee De Garre, Brugge, Belgium
Served in a signature Garre goblet

The beer poured a crystal clear amber color with a near three-finger head of super creamy, off-white froth. Tons of lacing stuck all along the glass. The head slowly faded to a thick, resilient cap that lasted the entire drink.

Lots of must in the aroma. The beer had a very cellar-like quality. Somewhat sweet and spicy. Yeasty. Belgian candi sugar notes were apparent. The nose became even sweeter as the beer warmed.

The taste was also quite sweet and spicy. Wheaty, crisp and moderately tart. Slightly lemony. Fruity in the center. Somewhat hoppy and semi-dry on the finish. A touch of alcohol warmth came through as well.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a crisp, sprightly effervescence.

Drinkability was quite good. This beer was tasty and well rounded. The sweeter than average flavor profile might limit your consumption however.

07-13-2010 14:03:14 | More by Damian
eric5bellies

Australia

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank from De Garre bar belgium.

A - Honey copper colour with a huge thick white head that stays the distance. In the Garre glass it says drink me.

S - A little spice with yeasty notes and citrus

T - Very powerful triple with spicey marmalaide note and some heavy orange citrus flavours. The finish is long and spicy bitter and a little booze

M - Medium body and carbonation is low

D - This is a top quality tripel. No, this is the best Tripel I have had to date.

07-06-2010 23:34:44 | More by eric5bellies
jgasparine

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -5.5%

The house tripel at Staminee de Garre

A- Poured into a chalice with a thick foamy white head, which was very well retained. Absolutely lovely lacing throughout. The body was a slightly hazy, mildly carbonated, golden color. Looks wonderful.

S- Impressions of pale, and perhaps some Munich malt; some Belgian yeast esters, some candi sugar, and some rich doughy aromas as well. It's like fresh bread dough!

T- It starts out quite nice in the mouth, like fresh dough you would use to make sweet rolls. You get some pale malt, candi sugar, some Belgian yeastiness... but then as you move onto the finish, it becomes quickly dry and metallic. The metallic is a bit of a turn-off, and downgrades the Taste rating accordingly.

M- A medium, perhaps medium-plus body. Just a little bit of unattenuated sugar there, which gives it a little bit of graininess. The carbonation is nice, soft and constant.

D- I would love to have a second glass, but the metallic notes on the mouth would keep me from a third glass.

03-25-2010 02:00:11 | More by jgasparine
gyllstromk

4.33/5  rDev -0.9%

I had this at De Garre. The menu at De Garre starts with a long ode to the Tripel van der Garre, and there are nice descriptions of the process of creating it. The building is beautiful and the clientele is a mix of locals, random tourists, and folks who traveled there just for the tripel (the nice couple next to us were from Antwerp, and travel here for the beer).

Overall you cannot help but be absorbed in the charm and history of the place, and making any unbiased review is impossible. I would not treat my numeric "rating" as anything other than dummy placeholders so that I could write the following description.

The De Garre was presumably served from tap but I cannot confirm. A pale color is capped by 2 inches of foam which I assume must be nitrogenized, as the bubbles are fine like Guinness. The head remains throughout the beer.

Aroma is not atypical for a tripel: phenols and a bit of malt sweetness. There seemed to be a hint of juniper on the nose. The flavor is a nice malt body with a dry finish that highlights the kiss of alcoholic sweetness. There is a slight bitterness on the finish.

They serve with cheese cubes but I recommend buying the cheese plate as well. The combination of flavors with this beer is a great experience.

From the menu (what little of the Dutch I could read) it seems that this beer is actually 11%, and they limit customers to 3. I believe this is true because my wife and I had one each, and really felt the alcohol when we left . If truly 11%, this beer does an amazing job of masking the alcohol.

I highly recommend this beer because of the entire experience. Go to De Garre and try it yourself!

01-31-2010 12:18:44 | More by gyllstromk
californiakulak

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this beer at Staminee De Garre. It was served in a cool glass with a little plate of cheese.

A. A light golded color with a thick beautiful head. Also some nice lacing as the beer in the glass gets lower.

S. A fruity malty smell. Also the alcohol smell was present.

T. This beer was great. Hoppier than other tripples that I have tried. Spicy and fruity with an obvious alcohol taste.

M. Nice hop bite and dry finish. The alcohol is very warming on the palate.

D. I thought that this beer was very drinkable. However, my wife failed to finish hers so, unfortunately, I had to finish it for her. The alcohol isn't very well hidden in this beer but for some reason that taste helps the final product.

10-28-2009 05:08:00 | More by californiakulak
Arbitrator

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at the Garre restaurant.

A: Comes in a great-looking goblet. The body is a hazy golden / apricot color, clear body except for the generous carbonation up the center. It sustains an enormous white head that never vanishes, leaving washes of thick lacing during each sip.

S: Bananas, sour apples, pear, orange, and surprisingly strong phenolic character (pepper, clove).

T: Everything in the nose comes out here. Begins with a beautiful fruit character of bananas and oranges, but exhibits green apples and pear in the mid-taste. I also taste biscuit at times. The banana reawakens in the finish and aftertaste, with a burst of pepper and clove to liven up the palate.

M: Lightly drying finish. Medium-bodied, slightly prickly with medium-high carbonation.

D: Dangerously drinkable. Too bad it's only available here; it's apparently their house tripel. Good stuff.

10-19-2009 20:45:50 | More by Arbitrator
raoulduke37

4.78/5  rDev +9.4%

This is probably one of the biggest reasons to go out to Bruges, besides the chocolate waffles. Found at a tiny little bar called Staminee de Garre, or some such, they serve this house tripel there, and it can rub elbows with any of the other impressive beers on their hefty list.

It is poured into a large snifter glass with a gigantic, billowing, mushroom cloud-like head. Right away, the golden color and lace tells you that this is going to be one tasty brew. Smell is subtle but you can detect slight hops, spiciness, and some sweetness, akin to melon. The first sip affirms your trip to Bruges, and Belgium in general. Incredibly smooth for a tripel, doesn't offend with the kick-your-ass spiciness you can sometimes get from the style, and finishes sweetly. The mouthfeel is creamy and oh-so-inviting. I usually had to have a hat trick of these before I was done. Simply magnificent, and a tribute to the Belgians and their art.

08-06-2009 00:27:04 | More by raoulduke37
Bobzilla

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

After finishing my first one, I remarked how the remaining head in the glass was like getting a free merengue pie with my beer. After having the second one, I laughed as a lady took a right into the men's room, instead of a left. After a third, I though I would pass out from watching some young folk from the States come down the corner stairs and practically fall. Mid way through the fourth, I thought that I should move to Brugge!

This is one of my favorite beers, and of course, is most unattainable. It is a beautiful golden color, with a white head that screams "Belgian Lace". Appropriate for Brugge, the capital of lace manufacturing.
The taste was a wonderful mix of sweetness and alcohol. A great blend of styles between a Strong Golden Belgian and an Abbey Tripel.
With such a high sugar content, it was not syrupy at all. It has a crispness to it that belies its high alcohol content.

Note: Having gone to Brugge after visiting Westvleteren, I was shocked to find that the Westy may not be the 'World's best beer." It could actually be this wonderful creation, found down a narrow side street off the main market of Brugge.

02-10-2008 20:37:13 | More by Bobzilla
katieandtodd

Mississippi

4.5/5  rDev +3%

This is one of the best beers I have ever had, but unfortunately it is brewed in the small town of Brugge in Belgium so it will be a long time before I get to drink it again. Everyone else is right- it is very diffiicult to find De Garre, but once you do, this beer is well worth it. It is served with a delicious tray of cheese that compliments the flavor of the beer perfectly. Excellent head... beautiful lace. It has a nice balance of fruit/sweet flavors with the malt. Be careful of the alcohol- you don't notice it very much as you are drinking it, but it will catch up with you! Buy a bottle to take home- it is the perfect way to remember your trip to this beautiful canal city.

05-13-2007 02:23:00 | More by katieandtodd
EPICAC

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

I had this on tap at De Garre in Brugge.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden-orange with a three-finger, off-white head with excellent retention that leaves intact sheets of lace as it fades.

Smell: Has a nice fruity smell with a blend of bananas and sour apple with a bit of pepper.

Taste: Light, but fruity with sweet bananas and sour apples. The fruitiness is balanced nicely with some spiciness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, creamy, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Very well balanced, but watch out for the alcohol.

12-14-2006 02:56:27 | More by EPICAC
GCBrewingCo

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

(11% ABV so tread lightly.)

The beer was crystal clear with a white frothy head which lasted very well to coat the glass.

The aroma was fruity and nicely spicy with strong pepper and an estery fruit chracter and a caramel malt.

The flavor was lightly spicy with a low caramel and light malt presnece. The flavor almost had a pineapple characteristic.

The finish was dry with a strong peppery character long into the aftertaste. The body was meidum and the moderate carbonation lent a creamy mouthfeel. The beer gave a nice warming presence after consumption. Actually a very good tripel. Be careful with this one at 11%.

Served in a Garre glass, at Garre in Brugge of course, on 9/13/06 and 9/14/06.

09-19-2006 23:13:52 | More by GCBrewingCo
baiser

I stopped in at De Garre in Brugge on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It took a few tries before we got the address right. It was served on a tray with some cheese and this was the perfect afternoon snack. Brewed by Van steenberge for De Garre as their house beer, this is a delightful tripel. A creamy, rich, lasting head with tonnes of lacing on their unique glass. This isn't a first class tripel, but it hit the spot that day. It was fruity, with lots of malt character and finished very sweet. Alcohol is well hidden. Body is cloudy, golden yellow in colour. Recommended if you're in Brugge.

08-11-2006 21:06:08 | More by baiser
JulieRFoster

3.4/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer is made for the bar de garre in Bruges - a great little place to visit if you can find it! It is a well rounded beer, and you should certainly try it while here, but not the greatest trippel by any means.
It has a lovely light blonde color and slightly cloudy, served in its own unique chalice. It has fantastic head retention and thick, intricate Belgium lacing. The head retention gives it a delightful little puff when finishing the glass.
The medium mouthfeel was appropriate to the style. The nose is slightly floral and dry with some malty notes. The taste was a little less pronounced than the scent, but basically the same.

03-20-2006 16:47:58 | More by JulieRFoster
JohnfromDublin

Ireland

3.73/5  rDev -14.6%

Tasted in Staminee de Garre, Brugge on tap 22nd May 2005.

Served in unique glass that has a thick stem to it. This makes it look very good, but is slightly awkward. Anyway, appearence is quite light in colour, more straw than amber with very nice head.

Smell is good, hoppy and fresh but more floral than I expected.
It is the beer of the house, and is quite strong (at 8%) and tastes like that (strong, I mean). No disguising the alcohol, but this is a quite drinkable tripel with a good mouthfeel.

I quite liked this, even if it is not the best tripel ever. If drinking this upstairs in de Garre (as I was), beware the almost vertical stairs when exiting!

06-30-2005 09:55:28 | More by JohnfromDublin
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -26.8%

This is one of the house beers on tap at Staminee De Garre in Bruges.

Appearance: A golden pour with a medium and very rich looking white head.

Smell: Medium nose with a very lemony and malty kick to it. Somewhat flowery and herbal.

Taste: Again, a vert floral taste with a slight bitterness and herbal character. Some nice maltiness here that helps turn the corner to a semi-sweet finish. A pinch of sweet-bread in there somehwere as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer w/good maltiness and fullness. Grainy and floarl mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Ahhhh, it was worth a try. Half decent beer, worth trying once.

11-03-2003 21:40:48 | More by Popsinc
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.