Tripel Van De Garre - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 11-03-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

On tap at Brasserie Beck, 2.19.12, $13 for 10 oz. pour. OUCH. Should have waited to Max's Belgian Fest the next day, though it did go rather well with the delicious Carbonnade.

Finger and a half pure white head, quick dissipation with minimal lacing. Clear orange gold, minimal visible carbonation. Taste is dry fruit, peaches, a bit of honey sweetness balanced by dry munich malt. Nose mirrors taste. Mouthfeel medium, good effervescence, ABV well hidden. I understand this is rather rare, but I'd rather have a Westmalle. (525 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Bright and golden with a huge creamy white head and thick lacing.

S: Very faint aroma over all, but there is some sweet banana, spices, yeast and faint alcohol.

T: Slightly sweet malts with a very well balanced faint hop bitterness. Some nice spice and a hint of banana.

M: Very smooth and creamy quickly followed by a nice prickly carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden, but there is a slight warming in the finish.

O: Great beer at a great place and the cheese that comes with it, pairs perfectly. One of my favorite beers on my 2 days in Belgium.   (562 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%

Drank from De Garre bar belgium.

A - Honey copper colour with a huge thick white head that stays the distance. In the Garre glass it says drink me.

S - A little spice with yeasty notes and citrus

T - Very powerful triple with spicey marmalaide note and some heavy orange citrus flavours. The finish is long and spicy bitter and a little booze

M - Medium body and carbonation is low

D - This is a top quality tripel. No, this is the best Tripel I have had to date. (468 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Drank a couple of these at Staminee de Garre in Brugge - October 2008

Hazy gold topped with a dense, creamy white head in a goblet. Fruity and spicy in the nose. Sweet.

Big, sweet maltiness but plenty of spicy hop character to offset it. Big and bold but smooth and well balanced. It's lively and just a bit warming but the considerable alcohol is masked. Dryish finish. Very, very nice tripel.

It may be worth it to go to Brugge for this beer alone. (453 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Goblet served at brasserie V in Madison wisconsin

look is a hazy amber-orange, with a ring of foam. smell is delicious: apples, citrus, banana, clove. feel is a little slick and oily, but the taste....oh the taste. apple/pear citrus, with a little clove and spice in the finish. the 12% is completely imperceptible.

glad I was able to try this (345 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap at Teresa's ...

Poured with a massive foamy white head over a clear burnt gold body with lots of lacing

Aromas are huge - lots of fermented grape / white wine, with apricot, and Belgian yeast.

Flavors tame some of the vinous qualities, but still come thru strong. Floral hops, old apple, slight barnyard funk, and Chardonnay.

Mouthfeel is wicked smooth. Carbonation is low, but it's by no means thick. Slick and smooth going down.

Beautiful triple... A perfect gateway beer for the white wine connosieur. (519 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from the tap into a branded tulip at De Garre in Bruges.

A: Pure orange with an off-white head. 3 fingers of head with great retention.

S: Like a tripel should smell. Spicy clove, slight banana bread, yeast, and citrus.

T: Silky smooth with bubble gum dominant along with some spices and slight banana flavor. Typical taste, but verrry well done.

M: Amazingly smooth - can't do better.

D: Dangerous at 11%. Alcohol undetectable and I had a few. Then I stood up. Wow. (478 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

From a magnum bottle ( 1.5 L ) into a white wine glass

Cloudy orange yellow beer, enormous white creamy head, stable and adhesive. Aroma: malts, yeast, hops, candi sugar, and good deal of alcohol (not surprising).
MF: soft carbon, full body.
Taste: sweet malts and alcohol sweetness, countered by a fair amount of hop bitters, somewhat fruity. Numbing alcohol in the back of the throat.
Aftertaste: hops, some fruityness, grapefruit and exotic fruits. A very hoppy and tasty beer! (484 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

I had this on tap at De Garre in Brugge.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden-orange with a three-finger, off-white head with excellent retention that leaves intact sheets of lace as it fades.

Smell: Has a nice fruity smell with a blend of bananas and sour apple with a bit of pepper.

Taste: Light, but fruity with sweet bananas and sour apples. The fruitiness is balanced nicely with some spiciness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, creamy, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Very well balanced, but watch out for the alcohol. (563 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

On draft at de Garre cafe in Brugge. Golden body. Huge giant white head. Poured into cool de Garre chalice. High retention. Soapy sticky lacing. Aroma wispy fruity hoppy. Taste mildly sweet, fruity, slight wheat taste, zero alcohol. Easy to drink. Refreshing. Totally delicious. (278 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

The house tripel at Staminee de Garre

A- Poured into a chalice with a thick foamy white head, which was very well retained. Absolutely lovely lacing throughout. The body was a slightly hazy, mildly carbonated, golden color. Looks wonderful.

S- Impressions of pale, and perhaps some Munich malt; some Belgian yeast esters, some candi sugar, and some rich doughy aromas as well. It's like fresh bread dough!

T- It starts out quite nice in the mouth, like fresh dough you would use to make sweet rolls. You get some pale malt, candi sugar, some Belgian yeastiness... but then as you move onto the finish, it becomes quickly dry and metallic. The metallic is a bit of a turn-off, and downgrades the Taste rating accordingly.

M- A medium, perhaps medium-plus body. Just a little bit of unattenuated sugar there, which gives it a little bit of graininess. The carbonation is nice, soft and constant.

D- I would love to have a second glass, but the metallic notes on the mouth would keep me from a third glass. (1,008 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Due to a very helpful tip from my man John..on tap at Brouwers...
This mystical being spawned in an alley in Brugge. The goldenrod colour displayed in my glass offers an array of various breeds of hope. Hope for mankind. For the kids. Clouded, not obscured. I lift and sniff from the buxom glass. Clove and pepper, some floral notes, a bit of sweet malt, a bit of Clousseau. The taste is a phenom, the slightest bit of sweetness drowned out by a melange of yeasty flavors, pepper, clove, thyme, and a bouquet des fleurs. Unique and exceptional. I was not truly prepared for this beer. I hope I make it back up to the lands of the north before this wonder is disappeared. (670 characters)

I stopped in at De Garre in Brugge on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It took a few tries before we got the address right. It was served on a tray with some cheese and this was the perfect afternoon snack. Brewed by Van steenberge for De Garre as their house beer, this is a delightful tripel. A creamy, rich, lasting head with tonnes of lacing on their unique glass. This isn't a first class tripel, but it hit the spot that day. It was fruity, with lots of malt character and finished very sweet. Alcohol is well hidden. Body is cloudy, golden yellow in colour. Recommended if you're in Brugge. (590 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

This is one of the house beers on tap at Staminee De Garre in Bruges.

Appearance: A golden pour with a medium and very rich looking white head.

Smell: Medium nose with a very lemony and malty kick to it. Somewhat flowery and herbal.

Taste: Again, a vert floral taste with a slight bitterness and herbal character. Some nice maltiness here that helps turn the corner to a semi-sweet finish. A pinch of sweet-bread in there somehwere as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer w/good maltiness and fullness. Grainy and floarl mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Ahhhh, it was worth a try. Half decent beer, worth trying once. (623 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Tasted in Staminee de Garre, Brugge on tap 22nd May 2005.

Served in unique glass that has a thick stem to it. This makes it look very good, but is slightly awkward. Anyway, appearence is quite light in colour, more straw than amber with very nice head.

Smell is good, hoppy and fresh but more floral than I expected.
It is the beer of the house, and is quite strong (at 8%) and tastes like that (strong, I mean). No disguising the alcohol, but this is a quite drinkable tripel with a good mouthfeel.

I quite liked this, even if it is not the best tripel ever. If drinking this upstairs in de Garre (as I was), beware the almost vertical stairs when exiting! (668 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

This was a bottle I received from almalkin after his trip to Brugge. I would have brought a few bottles of this on my trip, but I didnt know De Garre sold their tripel in bottles until after I left Brugge.

This was opened on my wife and I's one year anniversary and poured into over-sized wine glasses.

Best before date of December 15, 2008

A bulbous head rises to the top of the glass, sitting atop a hazy medium gold body. Big lacing. Very nice.

Smells of slightly sweet light fruit with a bready finish.

Starts sweet and finishes slightly spicy with bits of alcohol. It has a bit of a staleness, that shows up as a somewhat biscuity flavor. This is best consumed fresh at De Garre.

Smooth and not as prickly as the head would suggest

The best tripel i have had. An absolute beauty. I tried my best to review this beer subjectively, its hard when you have it at De Garre or on your 1 year anniversary. (911 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this at De Garre. The menu at De Garre starts with a long ode to the Tripel van der Garre, and there are nice descriptions of the process of creating it. The building is beautiful and the clientele is a mix of locals, random tourists, and folks who traveled there just for the tripel (the nice couple next to us were from Antwerp, and travel here for the beer).

Overall you cannot help but be absorbed in the charm and history of the place, and making any unbiased review is impossible. I would not treat my numeric "rating" as anything other than dummy placeholders so that I could write the following description.

The De Garre was presumably served from tap but I cannot confirm. A pale color is capped by 2 inches of foam which I assume must be nitrogenized, as the bubbles are fine like Guinness. The head remains throughout the beer.

Aroma is not atypical for a tripel: phenols and a bit of malt sweetness. There seemed to be a hint of juniper on the nose. The flavor is a nice malt body with a dry finish that highlights the kiss of alcoholic sweetness. There is a slight bitterness on the finish.

They serve with cheese cubes but I recommend buying the cheese plate as well. The combination of flavors with this beer is a great experience.

From the menu (what little of the Dutch I could read) it seems that this beer is actually 11%, and they limit customers to 3. I believe this is true because my wife and I had one each, and really felt the alcohol when we left . If truly 11%, this beer does an amazing job of masking the alcohol.

I highly recommend this beer because of the entire experience. Go to De Garre and try it yourself! (1,653 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

25 cl. draft at ‘t Waagstuk as ‘t Waagstuk. Although it has a separate entry on BA. This is just a label beer and the same beer as Tripel Van De Garre. A beer which in turn probably differs not much from other Van Steenberge offerings.

Appearance: Hazy orange with a creamy white head.

Smell and taste: Slightly sweet with lots of yeast and citric notes. Picking up also some herbs and some spices. Notes of tangerines, nice chunk of dried Turkish fruits, touch banana and booze.

Body: average, slightly lively.

It is okay but not particularly distinguishable from a whole other slew of Belgian beers and not particularly to my liking. Just another semi-macro offering. This just felt massively over-hyped to me – a case of marketing and limited availability driving the hype train. Lots of better and more interesting triples out there. (848 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

This is probably one of the biggest reasons to go out to Bruges, besides the chocolate waffles. Found at a tiny little bar called Staminee de Garre, or some such, they serve this house tripel there, and it can rub elbows with any of the other impressive beers on their hefty list.

It is poured into a large snifter glass with a gigantic, billowing, mushroom cloud-like head. Right away, the golden color and lace tells you that this is going to be one tasty brew. Smell is subtle but you can detect slight hops, spiciness, and some sweetness, akin to melon. The first sip affirms your trip to Bruges, and Belgium in general. Incredibly smooth for a tripel, doesn't offend with the kick-your-ass spiciness you can sometimes get from the style, and finishes sweetly. The mouthfeel is creamy and oh-so-inviting. I usually had to have a hat trick of these before I was done. Simply magnificent, and a tribute to the Belgians and their art. (937 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

I had this beer at Staminee De Garre. It was served in a cool glass with a little plate of cheese.

A. A light golded color with a thick beautiful head. Also some nice lacing as the beer in the glass gets lower.

S. A fruity malty smell. Also the alcohol smell was present.

T. This beer was great. Hoppier than other tripples that I have tried. Spicy and fruity with an obvious alcohol taste.

M. Nice hop bite and dry finish. The alcohol is very warming on the palate.

D. I thought that this beer was very drinkable. However, my wife failed to finish hers so, unfortunately, I had to finish it for her. The alcohol isn't very well hidden in this beer but for some reason that taste helps the final product. (709 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10%

After finishing my first one, I remarked how the remaining head in the glass was like getting a free merengue pie with my beer. After having the second one, I laughed as a lady took a right into the men's room, instead of a left. After a third, I though I would pass out from watching some young folk from the States come down the corner stairs and practically fall. Mid way through the fourth, I thought that I should move to Brugge!

This is one of my favorite beers, and of course, is most unattainable. It is a beautiful golden color, with a white head that screams "Belgian Lace". Appropriate for Brugge, the capital of lace manufacturing.
The taste was a wonderful mix of sweetness and alcohol. A great blend of styles between a Strong Golden Belgian and an Abbey Tripel.
With such a high sugar content, it was not syrupy at all. It has a crispness to it that belies its high alcohol content.

Note: Having gone to Brugge after visiting Westvleteren, I was shocked to find that the Westy may not be the 'World's best beer." It could actually be this wonderful creation, found down a narrow side street off the main market of Brugge. (1,141 characters)

This beer was the crown jewel of my beer adventure through Europe. It was served in a bar, De Garre, that was hidden in an alley way near downtown Brugee Belgium. I was with my professor who had been to Brugge six times before he finally found De Garre. The beer is only served on tap in this location and you are only allowed to have three glasses of their beer before they cut you off because you won't be able to appreciate the masterpiece of the beer they have made.
I only say all this to add to hype I had going into trying this beer.
The appearance: the beer is served in the Garre glass ware that reminds me of a oversized bourbon sniffer. The color is a clear golden nectar. The beer looks to have a large head, but it seems to help protect the beer.
The smell wasn't overpowering but you realized what you are about to drink. There isn't a alcohol smell at all.
Taste: the beer had a crisp taste and had a full body flavor of the different bouquets.
Mouthfeel: a little bubbly but smooth. Had light creamy texture.
Overall: the beer had a had a large hype for going in and I feel like it lived up to it. (1,119 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

While studying abroad in Luxembourg, took a weekend trip to Bruges and randomly encountered the bar. Walked in--could not get a table. Determined, we went back the next day, and sat for two hours at a table by the window.

Served in the de Garre glass.

Appearance:2-3 inches of head, lasted throughout entire beer with prominent lacing. Beautiful color.

Smell: clove, citrus.

Taste: Sweet at first, then lingers into a spicier finish, but one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Like no other trippel.

Mouthfeel: sticky, and you don't notice the alcohol as much as you should. The sign warns of a 3 per customer limit, as it is 11 ABV, but I feel like I could have doubled that...until I got up to leave.

Went back to Bruges 2 months later with my dad just to take him here and show him this beer. He was certainly appreciative. This was the beer that got me truly interested in great beers. I'll never forget it. (924 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer is made for the bar de garre in Bruges - a great little place to visit if you can find it! It is a well rounded beer, and you should certainly try it while here, but not the greatest trippel by any means.
It has a lovely light blonde color and slightly cloudy, served in its own unique chalice. It has fantastic head retention and thick, intricate Belgium lacing. The head retention gives it a delightful little puff when finishing the glass.
The medium mouthfeel was appropriate to the style. The nose is slightly floral and dry with some malty notes. The taste was a little less pronounced than the scent, but basically the same. (644 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent beer. It is available in several bars near where I live. It is served with Gouda cheese, which complements the tripel extremely well. (154 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.