Tripel Van De Garre - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Popsinc on 11-03-2003)
fastestmanalive

06-28-2014 00:58:55 | More by fastestmanalive
cneville

4.83/5  rDev +10%

While studying abroad in Luxembourg, took a weekend trip to Bruges and randomly encountered the bar. Walked in--could not get a table. Determined, we went back the next day, and sat for two hours at a table by the window.

Served in the de Garre glass.

Appearance:2-3 inches of head, lasted throughout entire beer with prominent lacing. Beautiful color.

Smell: clove, citrus.

Taste: Sweet at first, then lingers into a spicier finish, but one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Like no other trippel.

Mouthfeel: sticky, and you don't notice the alcohol as much as you should. The sign warns of a 3 per customer limit, as it is 11 ABV, but I feel like I could have doubled that...until I got up to leave.

Went back to Bruges 2 months later with my dad just to take him here and show him this beer. He was certainly appreciative. This was the beer that got me truly interested in great beers. I'll never forget it.

04-29-2011 15:15:00 | More by cneville
monitorpop

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Bright and golden with a huge creamy white head and thick lacing.

S: Very faint aroma over all, but there is some sweet banana, spices, yeast and faint alcohol.

T: Slightly sweet malts with a very well balanced faint hop bitterness. Some nice spice and a hint of banana.

M: Very smooth and creamy quickly followed by a nice prickly carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden, but there is a slight warming in the finish.

O: Great beer at a great place and the cheese that comes with it, pairs perfectly. One of my favorite beers on my 2 days in Belgium.

02-04-2012 02:13:54 | More by monitorpop
dragonWhale

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Due to a very helpful tip from my man John..on tap at Brouwers...
This mystical being spawned in an alley in Brugge. The goldenrod colour displayed in my glass offers an array of various breeds of hope. Hope for mankind. For the kids. Clouded, not obscured. I lift and sniff from the buxom glass. Clove and pepper, some floral notes, a bit of sweet malt, a bit of Clousseau. The taste is a phenom, the slightest bit of sweetness drowned out by a melange of yeasty flavors, pepper, clove, thyme, and a bouquet des fleurs. Unique and exceptional. I was not truly prepared for this beer. I hope I make it back up to the lands of the north before this wonder is disappeared.

01-07-2011 11:05:27 | More by dragonWhale
raoulduke37

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

This is probably one of the biggest reasons to go out to Bruges, besides the chocolate waffles. Found at a tiny little bar called Staminee de Garre, or some such, they serve this house tripel there, and it can rub elbows with any of the other impressive beers on their hefty list.

It is poured into a large snifter glass with a gigantic, billowing, mushroom cloud-like head. Right away, the golden color and lace tells you that this is going to be one tasty brew. Smell is subtle but you can detect slight hops, spiciness, and some sweetness, akin to melon. The first sip affirms your trip to Bruges, and Belgium in general. Incredibly smooth for a tripel, doesn't offend with the kick-your-ass spiciness you can sometimes get from the style, and finishes sweetly. The mouthfeel is creamy and oh-so-inviting. I usually had to have a hat trick of these before I was done. Simply magnificent, and a tribute to the Belgians and their art.

08-06-2009 00:27:04 | More by raoulduke37
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Drank a couple of these at Staminee de Garre in Brugge - October 2008

Hazy gold topped with a dense, creamy white head in a goblet. Fruity and spicy in the nose. Sweet.

Big, sweet maltiness but plenty of spicy hop character to offset it. Big and bold but smooth and well balanced. It's lively and just a bit warming but the considerable alcohol is masked. Dryish finish. Very, very nice tripel.

It may be worth it to go to Brugge for this beer alone.

07-17-2009 19:07:18 | More by ViveLaChouffe

cdog707yo

05-16-2014 16:00:10 | More by cdog707yo
Bobzilla

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

After finishing my first one, I remarked how the remaining head in the glass was like getting a free merengue pie with my beer. After having the second one, I laughed as a lady took a right into the men's room, instead of a left. After a third, I though I would pass out from watching some young folk from the States come down the corner stairs and practically fall. Mid way through the fourth, I thought that I should move to Brugge!

This is one of my favorite beers, and of course, is most unattainable. It is a beautiful golden color, with a white head that screams "Belgian Lace". Appropriate for Brugge, the capital of lace manufacturing.
The taste was a wonderful mix of sweetness and alcohol. A great blend of styles between a Strong Golden Belgian and an Abbey Tripel.
With such a high sugar content, it was not syrupy at all. It has a crispness to it that belies its high alcohol content.

Note: Having gone to Brugge after visiting Westvleteren, I was shocked to find that the Westy may not be the 'World's best beer." It could actually be this wonderful creation, found down a narrow side street off the main market of Brugge.

02-10-2008 20:37:13 | More by Bobzilla

Colorado

05-22-2014 20:39:00 | More by afsdan
californiakulak

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this beer at Staminee De Garre. It was served in a cool glass with a little plate of cheese.

A. A light golded color with a thick beautiful head. Also some nice lacing as the beer in the glass gets lower.

S. A fruity malty smell. Also the alcohol smell was present.

T. This beer was great. Hoppier than other tripples that I have tried. Spicy and fruity with an obvious alcohol taste.

M. Nice hop bite and dry finish. The alcohol is very warming on the palate.

D. I thought that this beer was very drinkable. However, my wife failed to finish hers so, unfortunately, I had to finish it for her. The alcohol isn't very well hidden in this beer but for some reason that taste helps the final product.

10-28-2009 05:08:00 | More by californiakulak
IPAcraig

Tennessee

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

This was a bottle I received from almalkin after his trip to Brugge. I would have brought a few bottles of this on my trip, but I didnt know De Garre sold their tripel in bottles until after I left Brugge.

This was opened on my wife and I's one year anniversary and poured into over-sized wine glasses.

Best before date of December 15, 2008

A bulbous head rises to the top of the glass, sitting atop a hazy medium gold body. Big lacing. Very nice.

Smells of slightly sweet light fruit with a bready finish.

Starts sweet and finishes slightly spicy with bits of alcohol. It has a bit of a staleness, that shows up as a somewhat biscuity flavor. This is best consumed fresh at De Garre.

Smooth and not as prickly as the head would suggest

The best tripel i have had. An absolute beauty. I tried my best to review this beer subjectively, its hard when you have it at De Garre or on your 1 year anniversary.

05-12-2008 13:33:27 | More by IPAcraig
eric5bellies

Australia

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Drank from De Garre bar belgium.

A - Honey copper colour with a huge thick white head that stays the distance. In the Garre glass it says drink me.

S - A little spice with yeasty notes and citrus

T - Very powerful triple with spicey marmalaide note and some heavy orange citrus flavours. The finish is long and spicy bitter and a little booze

M - Medium body and carbonation is low

D - This is a top quality tripel. No, this is the best Tripel I have had to date.

07-06-2010 23:34:44 | More by eric5bellies
andrewdanks

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

05-27-2014 15:05:07 | More by andrewdanks
Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.