Tripel Van De Garre - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Popsinc on 11-03-2003

Ratings: 213 | Reviews: 58

On tap at Max's during the annual Belgian fest event.

The beer pours a fairly light gold color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive enough, showcasing honey, orange citrus, vanilla and light cherry. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, with light bitterness on the finish that helps to counter the moderate sweetness. The beer is otherwise medium bodied at most, and was a bit thin I thought for the abv. The beer finishes well, with some moderate sweetness and drying hoppy bitterness. Alcohol is well disguised, and I was surprised to see the 10.5% abv.

While nothing extraordinairy, this was still a very nice tripel from Van Steenberge.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

On draft at de Garre cafe in Brugge. Golden body. Huge giant white head. Poured into cool de Garre chalice. High retention. Soapy sticky lacing. Aroma wispy fruity hoppy. Taste mildly sweet, fruity, slight wheat taste, zero alcohol. Easy to drink. Refreshing. Totally delicious.

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Arrives in the Garre snifter, hazed deep gold in color, with a mountainous white head that retains and laces well. Impressive.

S/T - Layers of sweet complexity unfold through the drink. Candy sugar, touch of green apple, banana, lemongrass, and only a little bit of yeasty funk. Abv stays well hidden, with only a warming sensation and never tasted outright.

M - Considering the abv, stays light and fluffy across the palate, finishing crisp and dry.

O - Spectacular, best tripel I've had yet. I wouldn't hesitate getting it again.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Teresa's ...

Poured with a massive foamy white head over a clear burnt gold body with lots of lacing

Aromas are huge - lots of fermented grape / white wine, with apricot, and Belgian yeast.

Flavors tame some of the vinous qualities, but still come thru strong. Floral hops, old apple, slight barnyard funk, and Chardonnay.

Mouthfeel is wicked smooth. Carbonation is low, but it's by no means thick. Slick and smooth going down.

Beautiful triple... A perfect gateway beer for the white wine connosieur.

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Bright and golden with a huge creamy white head and thick lacing.

S: Very faint aroma over all, but there is some sweet banana, spices, yeast and faint alcohol.

T: Slightly sweet malts with a very well balanced faint hop bitterness. Some nice spice and a hint of banana.

M: Very smooth and creamy quickly followed by a nice prickly carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden, but there is a slight warming in the finish.

O: Great beer at a great place and the cheese that comes with it, pairs perfectly. One of my favorite beers on my 2 days in Belgium.

3.8/5  rDev -13.8%

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Hey, I was supposed to get a free piece of cheese with this beer, and I didn't! Oh well.

Anyway, this triple was served on tap in a tulip glass, coppery-peach color, moderately carbonated with a slight, white head that left some nice doily-ish lacing. Aroma of pale malts, floral hops, and light fruits. Taste followed the aroma, with pale malts, candi, and fruity esters up front, pear, white wine; light peppery spice and floral hops come in mid-palate, followed by a bit of breadiness and a somewhat bitter, dry finish, with a definite hit of alcohol. Medium body, and quite drinkable, but not quite as smooth as I prefer my tripels to be.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at Churchkey in DC, served in a tulip. Decently priced for a beer that is only served in a few bars IN THE WORLD. There are moments when I'm drinking where I turn slightly reflective, I've had some of the top beers on everyone's lists but even a random long shot beer like this, that I can find it in a pub, just shocks me to no end. A long time want of mine, falls right in my lap. Thank you Churchkey, you really bring the tasty.

Beer is yellow, mild haze but basically clear, great tight white head, small bubbles, some lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is tea like, sweet, nice sharp yeast character, sweet and clean.

Beer is dry, very effervescent in the mouth, good finish, a mild spiciness on the midpalate of the beer, it is almost like the beer is jumping off of my tongue, the more I drink the better it gets. I would drink a lot of this beer indifferent to the damage it is doing to my liver.

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at De Garre during our trip to Belgium last week. Reviewed from notes.

Served in a De Garre snifter with a strange, thick pedestal. Really interesting glass; glad that they sell them.

Pours a clear golden-apricot color with loads of sticky lacing.

The nose is quite delicate with a bit of spice and some nice fruit. Light stone fruits and pear plus a bit of pepper and clove. The flavor is a bit more spicy than the nose, but also has the nice fruit components.

Medium body with crisp carbonation and just a tad too much booze.

Really enjoyable; one of the best tripels I've ever had.

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%

456th review on BA
Draft to De Garre glass

App- This was a vibrant orange with yellow and some amber highlights. Gigantic 3 finger head that lasted forever. Sticky lace all over and a puddle of head throughout the beer.

Smell- A very good smelling beer. Lots of yeast, candied sugar and some mustiness.

Taste- This thing was just great. It was the color and smell of a Triple but had the taste of a small quad. Lots of candied fruit and a bigness if that makes sense to you.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbed. It left some sweetness and some candy flavors on the palate.

Drink- Every beer drinker should try this beer. Hands down. Great beer. I am shocked this only has 24 reviews. I want to go back and have a couple more glasses and then a growler(I can't) and then a case of bottles. So good.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

While studying abroad in Luxembourg, took a weekend trip to Bruges and randomly encountered the bar. Walked in--could not get a table. Determined, we went back the next day, and sat for two hours at a table by the window.

Served in the de Garre glass.

Appearance:2-3 inches of head, lasted throughout entire beer with prominent lacing. Beautiful color.

Smell: clove, citrus.

Taste: Sweet at first, then lingers into a spicier finish, but one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Like no other trippel.

Mouthfeel: sticky, and you don't notice the alcohol as much as you should. The sign warns of a 3 per customer limit, as it is 11 ABV, but I feel like I could have doubled that...until I got up to leave.

Went back to Bruges 2 months later with my dad just to take him here and show him this beer. He was certainly appreciative. This was the beer that got me truly interested in great beers. I'll never forget it.

served in the Du Garre glass in the establishment of the same name. This beer is, in short, the closest thing to heaven most of us will ever know. I could go and run throught the appearance,taste, etc, but really I'd just be wasting both my time and yours. The singluar fact remains, if you like beer, you will love Du Garre. If you haven't had it yet, add it to your life's goals to visit Bruges--just to enjoy this beer.

It took us a few attempts to find it--the alley the pub is tucked away in is just about the sketchiest thing you'll ever see. But once we finally located it, and figured out when they'd open, we had found the place to be full, but always with an open seat. If there wasn't an open table, the customers cheerfully scooted over and made room for us, leading to us making new friends. The beer we had was so good, that I couldn't help but return later that day for a couple more. Do be careful, though--this is a very dangerous beer. There is absolutely no alcohol flavor to this brew, and at 11% that's a dangerous combination. Make sure you know the way back to your bed well enough to compensate for the effects!

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Served in goblet. Poured a lightly hazy golden-honey color with over 2 inches of fluffy and rocky white head that had very good retention and lacing.

The aroma was a very example of the expected spice and yeast over a solid grain base. Same on the tongue, all the anticipated flavors of the style, grain spice and yeast, just very well defined and bold.

The body was good, however I found it to be a bit thicker and stickier than typical. Drinkability was excellent. If time had allowed, I would have had another one immediately.

Overall, a very well-done example of one of my favorite styles. A must try if you see it.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

Due to a very helpful tip from my man John..on tap at Brouwers...
This mystical being spawned in an alley in Brugge. The goldenrod colour displayed in my glass offers an array of various breeds of hope. Hope for mankind. For the kids. Clouded, not obscured. I lift and sniff from the buxom glass. Clove and pepper, some floral notes, a bit of sweet malt, a bit of Clousseau. The taste is a phenom, the slightest bit of sweetness drowned out by a melange of yeasty flavors, pepper, clove, thyme, and a bouquet des fleurs. Unique and exceptional. I was not truly prepared for this beer. I hope I make it back up to the lands of the north before this wonder is disappeared.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the tap into a branded tulip at De Garre in Bruges.

A: Pure orange with an off-white head. 3 fingers of head with great retention.

S: Like a tripel should smell. Spicy clove, slight banana bread, yeast, and citrus.

T: Silky smooth with bubble gum dominant along with some spices and slight banana flavor. Typical taste, but verrry well done.

M: Amazingly smooth - can't do better.

D: Dangerous at 11%. Alcohol undetectable and I had a few. Then I stood up. Wow.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%

Drank on-tap at Staminee De Garre, Brugge, Belgium
Served in a signature Garre goblet

The beer poured a crystal clear amber color with a near three-finger head of super creamy, off-white froth. Tons of lacing stuck all along the glass. The head slowly faded to a thick, resilient cap that lasted the entire drink.

Lots of must in the aroma. The beer had a very cellar-like quality. Somewhat sweet and spicy. Yeasty. Belgian candi sugar notes were apparent. The nose became even sweeter as the beer warmed.

The taste was also quite sweet and spicy. Wheaty, crisp and moderately tart. Slightly lemony. Fruity in the center. Somewhat hoppy and semi-dry on the finish. A touch of alcohol warmth came through as well.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a crisp, sprightly effervescence.

Drinkability was quite good. This beer was tasty and well rounded. The sweeter than average flavor profile might limit your consumption however.

4.61/5  rDev +4.5%

Drank from De Garre bar belgium.

A - Honey copper colour with a huge thick white head that stays the distance. In the Garre glass it says drink me.

S - A little spice with yeasty notes and citrus

T - Very powerful triple with spicey marmalaide note and some heavy orange citrus flavours. The finish is long and spicy bitter and a little booze

M - Medium body and carbonation is low

D - This is a top quality tripel. No, this is the best Tripel I have had to date.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Never thought i'd get to try this stateside, thanks Alex for sharing this rare bottling.
Review from written notes.

Served from a magnum into a mini pint glass. Managed a couple pours before the bottle was emptied.

Soft hazy orange, almost a pastel tone, with energetic trails of champagne carbonation. The fluffy foam settles, leaving a ring of lacing to decorate the edges. A steady pour generated two fingers of stiff, dense foam.

Dreamy aroma of tangerine, tropical fruit, banana creme pie, vanilla wafers, marzipan, and spun sugar.

Dominating fruit flavors, sweet but not cloying. Some mild clove/spice phenolics in the back, estery Belgian yeast throwing off some banana esters. Soft and very creamy feel, this is a dream to drink. A slight bite initially, but it quickly yields to the creamy confection qualities. As it warms, the alcohol becomes slightly perceptible, versus being invisible when served chilled.

Overall very smooth and balanced, this makes me want to seek out other Tripels, which isn't a style i'm usually into. Thanks again Alex!

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Nanoslug for carrying this magnum all the way back from Brugge. This is the 25th anniversary bottling (unlike the 20th in the picture). Served in my Westvleteren chalice.

A - Pours with a few fingers of eggshell foam that dissipates to a think cap and leaves spotty lacing behind. The body is a hazy peaches & cream color.

S - Light booze, grapes, starfruit(!), banana, cloves, malted wheat. Very rich & complex.

T - The booze is better hidden here, and the flavor profile is more smoothed out. There's more wheat and caramel malt and a little less spice. The fruit flavors mingle with some nice estery character from the alcohol. The taste is more of a 4.25 for me, but I rounded up and bumped down the appearance (which was borderline 4.5).

M - Light tingly carbonation, a touch of heat after half a glass. The body is medium-light and seems a little thin for a 10.5% beer.

D - This will get you wrecked. It's a delicious quick-drinking high ABV beer. I was worried that a few of us wouldn't be up for killing the magnum, but it actually ran out quite quickly. I'd love to try it on-tap at the source - I somehow missed this place when I was in Brugge last summer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

The house tripel at Staminee de Garre

A- Poured into a chalice with a thick foamy white head, which was very well retained. Absolutely lovely lacing throughout. The body was a slightly hazy, mildly carbonated, golden color. Looks wonderful.

S- Impressions of pale, and perhaps some Munich malt; some Belgian yeast esters, some candi sugar, and some rich doughy aromas as well. It's like fresh bread dough!

T- It starts out quite nice in the mouth, like fresh dough you would use to make sweet rolls. You get some pale malt, candi sugar, some Belgian yeastiness... but then as you move onto the finish, it becomes quickly dry and metallic. The metallic is a bit of a turn-off, and downgrades the Taste rating accordingly.

M- A medium, perhaps medium-plus body. Just a little bit of unattenuated sugar there, which gives it a little bit of graininess. The carbonation is nice, soft and constant.

D- I would love to have a second glass, but the metallic notes on the mouth would keep me from a third glass.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

I had this at De Garre. The menu at De Garre starts with a long ode to the Tripel van der Garre, and there are nice descriptions of the process of creating it. The building is beautiful and the clientele is a mix of locals, random tourists, and folks who traveled there just for the tripel (the nice couple next to us were from Antwerp, and travel here for the beer).

Overall you cannot help but be absorbed in the charm and history of the place, and making any unbiased review is impossible. I would not treat my numeric "rating" as anything other than dummy placeholders so that I could write the following description.

The De Garre was presumably served from tap but I cannot confirm. A pale color is capped by 2 inches of foam which I assume must be nitrogenized, as the bubbles are fine like Guinness. The head remains throughout the beer.

Aroma is not atypical for a tripel: phenols and a bit of malt sweetness. There seemed to be a hint of juniper on the nose. The flavor is a nice malt body with a dry finish that highlights the kiss of alcoholic sweetness. There is a slight bitterness on the finish.

They serve with cheese cubes but I recommend buying the cheese plate as well. The combination of flavors with this beer is a great experience.

From the menu (what little of the Dutch I could read) it seems that this beer is actually 11%, and they limit customers to 3. I believe this is true because my wife and I had one each, and really felt the alcohol when we left . If truly 11%, this beer does an amazing job of masking the alcohol.

I highly recommend this beer because of the entire experience. Go to De Garre and try it yourself!

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this beer at Staminee De Garre. It was served in a cool glass with a little plate of cheese.

A. A light golded color with a thick beautiful head. Also some nice lacing as the beer in the glass gets lower.

S. A fruity malty smell. Also the alcohol smell was present.

T. This beer was great. Hoppier than other tripples that I have tried. Spicy and fruity with an obvious alcohol taste.

M. Nice hop bite and dry finish. The alcohol is very warming on the palate.

D. I thought that this beer was very drinkable. However, my wife failed to finish hers so, unfortunately, I had to finish it for her. The alcohol isn't very well hidden in this beer but for some reason that taste helps the final product.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at the Garre restaurant.

A: Comes in a great-looking goblet. The body is a hazy golden / apricot color, clear body except for the generous carbonation up the center. It sustains an enormous white head that never vanishes, leaving washes of thick lacing during each sip.

S: Bananas, sour apples, pear, orange, and surprisingly strong phenolic character (pepper, clove).

T: Everything in the nose comes out here. Begins with a beautiful fruit character of bananas and oranges, but exhibits green apples and pear in the mid-taste. I also taste biscuit at times. The banana reawakens in the finish and aftertaste, with a burst of pepper and clove to liven up the palate.

M: Lightly drying finish. Medium-bodied, slightly prickly with medium-high carbonation.

D: Dangerously drinkable. Too bad it's only available here; it's apparently their house tripel. Good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

This is probably one of the biggest reasons to go out to Bruges, besides the chocolate waffles. Found at a tiny little bar called Staminee de Garre, or some such, they serve this house tripel there, and it can rub elbows with any of the other impressive beers on their hefty list.

It is poured into a large snifter glass with a gigantic, billowing, mushroom cloud-like head. Right away, the golden color and lace tells you that this is going to be one tasty brew. Smell is subtle but you can detect slight hops, spiciness, and some sweetness, akin to melon. The first sip affirms your trip to Bruges, and Belgium in general. Incredibly smooth for a tripel, doesn't offend with the kick-your-ass spiciness you can sometimes get from the style, and finishes sweetly. The mouthfeel is creamy and oh-so-inviting. I usually had to have a hat trick of these before I was done. Simply magnificent, and a tribute to the Belgians and their art.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Drank a couple of these at Staminee de Garre in Brugge - October 2008

Hazy gold topped with a dense, creamy white head in a goblet. Fruity and spicy in the nose. Sweet.

Big, sweet maltiness but plenty of spicy hop character to offset it. Big and bold but smooth and well balanced. It's lively and just a bit warming but the considerable alcohol is masked. Dryish finish. Very, very nice tripel.

It may be worth it to go to Brugge for this beer alone.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

This was a bottle I received from almalkin after his trip to Brugge. I would have brought a few bottles of this on my trip, but I didnt know De Garre sold their tripel in bottles until after I left Brugge.

This was opened on my wife and I's one year anniversary and poured into over-sized wine glasses.

Best before date of December 15, 2008

A bulbous head rises to the top of the glass, sitting atop a hazy medium gold body. Big lacing. Very nice.

Smells of slightly sweet light fruit with a bready finish.

Starts sweet and finishes slightly spicy with bits of alcohol. It has a bit of a staleness, that shows up as a somewhat biscuity flavor. This is best consumed fresh at De Garre.

Smooth and not as prickly as the head would suggest

The best tripel i have had. An absolute beauty. I tried my best to review this beer subjectively, its hard when you have it at De Garre or on your 1 year anniversary.

Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.