Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros

mattfancett, Aug 28, 2014

dragonx2099, Nov 03, 2012

gnow, Apr 02, 2012

Bush42, Mar 01, 2013

nightassmonkey, Oct 11, 2014

Xfse71, Sep 25, 2014

tinyelroy, Jan 16, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

Cherry cough syrup disguised as beer.

leffebrown84th, Aug 27, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

alcyonidae, Jul 17, 2014
1.58/5  rDev -62.6%

OK....I don't know what I am missing but I was not impressed at all with this beer.After reading all the raving reviews I could not wait to taste this.WOW,what a disappointment.This beer reminds me of drinking pop...way too carbonated and I did not taste any brown sugar or carmel.The taste is very hard to describe because I was taken back by the carbonation which for me ruined the taste expierence.The alcohol is very noticable though and after drinking it I felt like I just did a shot.

redrocker, May 10, 2007
1.9/5  rDev -55.1%

A-dark ruby brown with a LOT of light tan head

S-sweet barley and some syrup, a tad bit boozy as well.

T-eh this is quite boozy, i get some syrup but not too much else. this is just way too harsh of a beer. the abv is way too striking in apparent. i get an after-taste of some belgian sugars.

M-high carbonation, very scratchy to the mouth, and very dry as well.

D-I can't finish this. I'm used to drinking some high alcohol content beers but this one is just way too much of a mess. I hate it.

AdamBear, Dec 27, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -54.4%

I was anticipating the sampling of this brew because I had seen it at my local beer shop on nearly every visit, so I figured it was in demand and desirable. Well, not everybody has the same tastes.

It poured a clear dark amber with minimal carbonation. The aroma had an interesting sweetness to it, like honey and flowers, very pleasant to my nose. The taste was a complete letdown. At first it's has a heavy malty presence with honey and fruit, sort of like a beer version of a desert wine. As it settled on my tongue it became heavier and more sour, to the point it was somewhat offensive to my pallet. It reminded me a bit of SA triple bock. This unfortunately ended up being a drain pour because I just could not force myself to have another gulp.

NO ME GUSTA !

Beerlover, Jul 23, 2013

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013

emakings, Feb 10, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -52%

Bottle poured into a snifter

A: Amber colored with a persistent, foamy head. I assumed it was going to be golden.

S: Smells of overripened apricots, bubble gum and cotton candy. Wait, what? Yes, it smells spectacularly sweet like carnival confections.

T/M: The taste follows suit: molasses, blackberries, pungent apricot, it’s really overbearing.

I realize this is supposed to be strong, but I much rather prefer the taste of alcohol over super sweetness. I’ll keep this one in mind next time my sweet tooth is craving some candy.

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 21, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -47.3%

After the rave reviews on here, as well as folks personally recommending it to me, I was quite dissapointed. So much so that I wonder if I got a bad bottle or a bottle that has been around too long. I'll need to try this again.

A - Poured a dark ruby color which created a large 5-finger cream colored head that quickly settled down into 3 fingers.

S - Smell was unique. Alcohol mixed with some sweetness and spiciness.

T - I didn't like the taste at all...which completely surprised me. Something about it just turned me off. Super high taste of alcohol, mixed with over-carbonation and an unpleasnant bitterness. Again...maybe I got a bad bottle becuase I didn't taste any of the sweetness that other folks have mentioned.

M - Mouthfeel was high carbonation and an unsmooth bitterness quality.

D - Not very drinkable for me but I will definitely go out and get another bottle to try again. I must have had a bad bottle.

robbrauen, Mar 04, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

Smithperson, May 20, 2014
Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.