Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,270 | Hads: 3,610
1.99/5  rDev -52.6%

A-dark ruby brown with a LOT of light tan head

S-sweet barley and some syrup, a tad bit boozy as well.

T-eh this is quite boozy, i get some syrup but not too much else. this is just way too harsh of a beer. the abv is way too striking in apparent. i get an after-taste of some belgian sugars.

M-high carbonation, very scratchy to the mouth, and very dry as well.

D-I can't finish this. I'm used to drinking some high alcohol content beers but this one is just way too much of a mess. I hate it.

2.03/5  rDev -51.7%

Bottle poured into a snifter

A: Amber colored with a persistent, foamy head. I assumed it was going to be golden.

S: Smells of overripened apricots, bubble gum and cotton candy. Wait, what? Yes, it smells spectacularly sweet like carnival confections.

T/M: The taste follows suit: molasses, blackberries, pungent apricot, it’s really overbearing.

I realize this is supposed to be strong, but I much rather prefer the taste of alcohol over super sweetness. I’ll keep this one in mind next time my sweet tooth is craving some candy.

2.08/5  rDev -50.5%

I was anticipating the sampling of this brew because I had seen it at my local beer shop on nearly every visit, so I figured it was in demand and desirable. Well, not everybody has the same tastes.

It poured a clear dark amber with minimal carbonation. The aroma had an interesting sweetness to it, like honey and flowers, very pleasant to my nose. The taste was a complete letdown. At first it's has a heavy malty presence with honey and fruit, sort of like a beer version of a desert wine. As it settled on my tongue it became heavier and more sour, to the point it was somewhat offensive to my pallet. It reminded me a bit of SA triple bock. This unfortunately ended up being a drain pour because I just could not force myself to have another gulp.

2.35/5  rDev -44%

After the rave reviews on here, as well as folks personally recommending it to me, I was quite dissapointed. So much so that I wonder if I got a bad bottle or a bottle that has been around too long. I'll need to try this again.

A - Poured a dark ruby color which created a large 5-finger cream colored head that quickly settled down into 3 fingers.

S - Smell was unique. Alcohol mixed with some sweetness and spiciness.

T - I didn't like the taste at all...which completely surprised me. Something about it just turned me off. Super high taste of alcohol, mixed with over-carbonation and an unpleasnant bitterness. Again...maybe I got a bad bottle becuase I didn't taste any of the sweetness that other folks have mentioned.

M - Mouthfeel was high carbonation and an unsmooth bitterness quality.

D - Not very drinkable for me but I will definitely go out and get another bottle to try again. I must have had a bad bottle.

2.51/5  rDev -40.2%

A: Mahogany body with a fluffy off-white head.
S: Vinous.
T: Eugh! Peppy, sharp AND very syrupy. Doesn't work at all. Phenolic with big liquorice and marzipan. Has the zing of a tripel but the flavour of a quad. It's like the bastard child of an English barley wine, a quad, and a tripel. Doesn't work! It's making me want to chuck, like a childhood medicine, or ice cream soda. I'm gonna spew......!!!!
O: Jeez!

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. I've been sort of afraid of this beer since the cork from a 750ml bottle shot me in the eye last May. Now's a good a time as any to face my fears.

A: Dark red, slightly darker than a barleywine. Two-finger head that quickly fades.

S: Heavily fruity. Not just dark fruits, either. There's also BSPA-like pear and citrus notes. This really is like a dark tripel.

T: Yikes. Cloying sweetness combined with heavy phenols. Bready aftertaste.

M: Lighter than expected with the carbonation.

D: Drain pour. I should have left this dragon in its lair. I'm going to have to have a Saison Dupont just to cleanse my palate.

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Crimson, with a big white head. not much odor, some alcohol noticeable. ethanol is the main flavor of this beer...it hangs out in your mouth along with a sweet flavor like unfermented malts. alcohol hits hard with this sucker. it is a real bastard. mouthfeel quite thick. not easy to drink because of the alkee-hol. unfortunately it packs a punch without any real desireable flavor to go with it. an experience but not necessarily a delicious one.

2.59/5  rDev -38.3%

Way too sweet for me and friends. Too carbinated. Too high in alcohol. Too creamy. Maybe as dessert beer, but much better competitors there. Comparable to soft drink when you are expecting beer.
Interesting range from this brewery though. And great

2.73/5  rDev -35%

Written from notes...
Served in a bizzare, white bottle, the beer pours a muted hazelnut color with a thin head. The nose is sweet and orange, with raspberry and a metallic element. An initial bitterness to taste turns quickly into an ULTRA sweet bit, fading nicely into spices in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-to-full, and with good carbonation. This beer is highly drinkable *IF* you can stomach that crazy sugar shock half-way through.

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours into the glass with a dark red, almost brown color, topped with a decent creamy head.
The aroma is a combination of fruity and roasted smell, together with a strong alcohol note at the end.
The starts is pleasant, sweet and fruity, followed by some yeastiness and a strong alcohol hit in the end.
Not really my favourite, a bit too strong to really enjoy in this one.

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

The white bottle and 10.5 ABV had my hopes high - and, it's Belgian, which is always great!

A - Poured a dark, cream soda like color, with a short bubbly tan head. Minimal lacing

S - Lots of sweet toasted malt, caramel, and a strong maple scent.

T - This is a crazy sweet beer, like liquid maple candy! You can feel the heat of the 10.5 ABV level creeping back up your throat and warming your ears after the first few sips. I got a bit of malt, but mostly straight up maple sweetness.

M&D - Lots of carbonation and a thick, creamy, sticky film coated my mouth. I think my teeth were aching a little from the excessive sweetness.

This is definitely a sipping beer, a good replacement for those who don't like wine, but are hanging out with winos. Somewhat reminiscent of Chimay, just not nearly as good.

I can appreciate this beer for what it is, it's just not for me.

2.82/5  rDev -32.9%

Dark rusty murkiness with a thin light tan head.

Aromas of sugary dark fruit jams.

Flavors of boozy dark fruit, kinda sweet with a little tartness and alcohol heat.

Medium-full body, prickly carbonated mouth feel, and stewed boozy dark fruit and yeast on the finish.

I don't know about all this "dark triple" business. Kinda tastes like a dubbel or a light quadrupel. So can I brew a classic Belgian triple and call it a dubbel blonde?

2.89/5  rDev -31.2%

Kept running into this beer at the store and figure I'd give it a try.

A: Very dark, red-tinged brown, and quite hazy. Plenty of head on this one, and plenty of lacing.

S: Pretty subtle. I smell some sweetness, and a bit of grassy base, but it nothing really overpowers me.

T: Strong peppery taste with a warm and seet finish. Maybe some corriander and other spices in the aftertaste. Not much in the way of hops, that I can taste.

MF: Very tingly, hard to tell if it's carbonation or just the pepper. Somewhat noticable alcohol, and pretty warming. Thick, syrupy, coating the mouth with a strong aftertaste.

D: Not bad. The flavor is a little underdeveloped. A bit too carbonated for my taste as well. Not a bad beer, but as far as Belgian beers go, you can do a lot better. Maybe Trippels just aren't my thing. I dunno.

2.91/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer was served into a goblet and poured from an 11.2 oz bottle.
The color was a rich amber not quite brown to my surprise, with a very thick foamy head.
On the nose I got tons of honey... Then with the taste I got tons of honey as well and that to me is where it went down hill.

In my opinion it was a much to sweet beer in an attempt to mask the high alcohol content.

None the less it was unlike any other beer I have ever tasted before in my life and was quite an experience and pleasure to taste this beer, just not up my alley as far as favorite tastes.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Huge dark head that disapear a little bit too quickly for my liking (this seems to be a problem withVan Steenberge). Really yeasty but not as thich as I was expecting from the description. The ABV level is too much apparent for my liking. Extra point for trying to be different: dark triple and cool bottle.

Sticky, syruppy, sweet,malty and just a bit over the top. I like beers with a big complexity, but this is perhaps a bit too much. But its not bad, could have been better.

Pours a dark mahogany color with a thick billowing tan head. Excellent head retention. Pleasant malty aroma with hints of cane sugar and black licorice.Tastes very much like licorice, almost to the point of being like cough syrup in it's flavor. 10.5% abv is very upfront and apparent. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel. As far as drinkability is concerned, it's a bit to much like cough syrup in it's taste and feel to be TRULY enjoyable to me, but not so bad as to be dumped out. Maybe i've stayed away from truly flavorful beers for too long....

3.02/5  rDev -28.1%

An old favorite of mine. Keep in mind, I was largely drawn to craft beer for the frequency of hefty ABV's.

A- poured into a tulip glass. Brownish-black... kinda dark ruby. It's not thick like a stout, so it doesn't have that same suggestion of high viscosity.

A- milder than I remember, lots of Beglian yeast, some maltiness.

T- Salt Water Taffy, Rummy, Tangy yeast esters, Raisins, Sweet. Kinda like a liquid candy, but if you drink this beer expecting sweetness you'll find prominent alcoholic bite. That said, for such a strong beer it comes across as very tame... in that department. Otherwise, your tongue is awash in sharp, dark flavors. Not as pruney as some dark beers, but the the dark fruits and sweets are there along w/ the phenols.

M- thinner than one would expect, but Belgians beers excell here. As it warms the sweetness prevails and the mouthfeel becomes a tad chewier. It's medium mouthfeel and the drink progresses.

O- This one doesn't really grow on you. As it warms more flavors becomes present, but not necessarily for the better. It works... it's strong w/o being overbearing, and it has a unique flavor profile. Beyond that, I think it's another overrated Belgian beer that is too quirky for it's own good.

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

gulden draak
3.5 deep amber, short head, not much lace
3 obvious high alcohol content wafts about freely (would have believed 15-20%, easy). when the nose begins to recover, some sweet fruits are noted--guava, cherries, bananas. there is also a rummyness. but it's all way too dominated by the alcohol.
3 taste is alcohol, alcohol, sweet fruits, alcohol. it's like jumping the gun and having a fruit flavored rum ball before the excess alcohol has had some time to evaporate.
4 body on the full side of medium, carbonation ample.
2.5 not that it's bad beer, but it's hard to find under all that solvent.

3.04/5  rDev -27.6%

11oz Stepped stubby bottle (same as the picture) into a wine glass. Wanted to try this because of the interesting flat white bottle and the menacing sounding name. $5.99 at totalwine in delaware.

Dark dark brown with red lowlights when held to the light. White head that didnt accumulate much but lacing clings strongly to the glass.

Smell is very sharp, a little banana sweetness but i find it not very pleasant, peppery and alcoholic.

Taste is very flat, prunish and not much more. Not much like a "trippel" that i was imagining.

Mouthfeel is good, tiny tingly carbonation, not to sticky or thick. Does not taste like 10.5% alc.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

Skunky tripel. Dark amber pour with a thick tan head. Aroma is oakey malt with some prunes and raisins. The taste is very disappointing. Musty and alcoholic the whole way through. Somewhat sweet at the end, but not in a good way. Thank God I only bought the little bottle.

3.07/5  rDev -26.9%

Going off old notes. Pours a murky copper color with a nice tan head. The nose is sweet malts and dark fruits. I taste dark fruits like plums and more sweet malts. Light body, low carbo. Very sweet beer!

3.11/5  rDev -26%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into Ommegang Tulip glass.

Appearance: Deep caramel/amber color with a long-standing two-finger off-white head that leaves behind decent lace.

Smell: Candy sweetness with some alcohol.

Taste: Candy sweetness throughout, with slight alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty heavy body, with a bit too heavy carbonation and a cool, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: A strange beer, and I can't say I'm a fan of the candy malt. Not much depth in this, but still worth a try- I seem to be an exception.

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%

A tawny amber gem in the glass, champagne bubbles like fireworks, and an incredible mountainous head. Smell disappoints a bit after this, as in addition to the suspected notes of bananas, cloves, etc, I found it a bit metallic. Upon ingestion, the front half of the tongue is coated with syrupy rum raisin flavors, with little on the back. The mouthfeel is ok, until late in the game when one is left with a sensation not unlike one might experience after dispensing the contents of one's piggy bank into ones one's mouth. I've been craving a great Belgian all day, and frankly I'm disappointed. Especially after I spend 12 bucks on the damn thing.

3.14/5  rDev -25.2%

This beer pours a murky deep brown with a explosive and billowing head...looks nice in the glass.

The aroma is sickly sweet bubble gum, raisins, plums. Too much for my preference.

The taste is evidently complex to some, but to me it is too muddy sweet and rife with the flavor of overipe and rotting fruit. The bite of the alcohol also sears the tongue. The body seems about right to support the heavy sweetness in this beer.

Perhaps I am just not a Belgian triple fan, but this beer...with its high alcohol content and overwhelming sweetness was a chore to drink.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.