Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -64.6%

Cherry cough syrup disguised as beer.

1.5/5  rDev -64.6%

1.9/5  rDev -55.2%

A-dark ruby brown with a LOT of light tan head

S-sweet barley and some syrup, a tad bit boozy as well.

T-eh this is quite boozy, i get some syrup but not too much else. this is just way too harsh of a beer. the abv is way too striking in apparent. i get an after-taste of some belgian sugars.

M-high carbonation, very scratchy to the mouth, and very dry as well.

D-I can't finish this. I'm used to drinking some high alcohol content beers but this one is just way too much of a mess. I hate it.

1.93/5  rDev -54.5%

I was anticipating the sampling of this brew because I had seen it at my local beer shop on nearly every visit, so I figured it was in demand and desirable. Well, not everybody has the same tastes.

It poured a clear dark amber with minimal carbonation. The aroma had an interesting sweetness to it, like honey and flowers, very pleasant to my nose. The taste was a complete letdown. At first it's has a heavy malty presence with honey and fruit, sort of like a beer version of a desert wine. As it settled on my tongue it became heavier and more sour, to the point it was somewhat offensive to my pallet. It reminded me a bit of SA triple bock. This unfortunately ended up being a drain pour because I just could not force myself to have another gulp.

NO ME GUSTA !

2.03/5  rDev -52.1%

Bottle poured into a snifter

A: Amber colored with a persistent, foamy head. I assumed it was going to be golden.

S: Smells of overripened apricots, bubble gum and cotton candy. Wait, what? Yes, it smells spectacularly sweet like carnival confections.

T/M: The taste follows suit: molasses, blackberries, pungent apricot, it’s really overbearing.

I realize this is supposed to be strong, but I much rather prefer the taste of alcohol over super sweetness. I’ll keep this one in mind next time my sweet tooth is craving some candy.

2.23/5  rDev -47.4%

After the rave reviews on here, as well as folks personally recommending it to me, I was quite dissapointed. So much so that I wonder if I got a bad bottle or a bottle that has been around too long. I'll need to try this again.

A - Poured a dark ruby color which created a large 5-finger cream colored head that quickly settled down into 3 fingers.

S - Smell was unique. Alcohol mixed with some sweetness and spiciness.

T - I didn't like the taste at all...which completely surprised me. Something about it just turned me off. Super high taste of alcohol, mixed with over-carbonation and an unpleasnant bitterness. Again...maybe I got a bad bottle becuase I didn't taste any of the sweetness that other folks have mentioned.

M - Mouthfeel was high carbonation and an unsmooth bitterness quality.

D - Not very drinkable for me but I will definitely go out and get another bottle to try again. I must have had a bad bottle.

2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.