Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros

cantfindme, Dec 10, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -40.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. I've been sort of afraid of this beer since the cork from a 750ml bottle shot me in the eye last May. Now's a good a time as any to face my fears.

A: Dark red, slightly darker than a barleywine. Two-finger head that quickly fades.

S: Heavily fruity. Not just dark fruits, either. There's also BSPA-like pear and citrus notes. This really is like a dark tripel.

T: Yikes. Cloying sweetness combined with heavy phenols. Bready aftertaste.

M: Lighter than expected with the carbonation.

D: Drain pour. I should have left this dragon in its lair. I'm going to have to have a Saison Dupont just to cleanse my palate.

BarrelO, Mar 25, 2009

mlhenson, Apr 11, 2012

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013

hawkmage, Dec 31, 2011

DuffDaddy, Jan 03, 2014

odualum13, May 20, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

Way too sweet for me and friends. Too carbinated. Too high in alcohol. Too creamy. Maybe as dessert beer, but much better competitors there. Comparable to soft drink when you are expecting beer.
Interesting range from this brewery though. And great
bottle.

Sammy, Dec 03, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -39%

Crimson, with a big white head. not much odor, some alcohol noticeable. ethanol is the main flavor of this beer...it hangs out in your mouth along with a sweet flavor like unfermented malts. alcohol hits hard with this sucker. it is a real bastard. mouthfeel quite thick. not easy to drink because of the alkee-hol. unfortunately it packs a punch without any real desireable flavor to go with it. an experience but not necessarily a delicious one.

aforbes10, Aug 02, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

The white bottle and 10.5 ABV had my hopes high - and, it's Belgian, which is always great!

A - Poured a dark, cream soda like color, with a short bubbly tan head. Minimal lacing

S - Lots of sweet toasted malt, caramel, and a strong maple scent.

T - This is a crazy sweet beer, like liquid maple candy! You can feel the heat of the 10.5 ABV level creeping back up your throat and warming your ears after the first few sips. I got a bit of malt, but mostly straight up maple sweetness.

M&D - Lots of carbonation and a thick, creamy, sticky film coated my mouth. I think my teeth were aching a little from the excessive sweetness.

This is definitely a sipping beer, a good replacement for those who don't like wine, but are hanging out with winos. Somewhat reminiscent of Chimay, just not nearly as good.

I can appreciate this beer for what it is, it's just not for me.

Moxley, Apr 18, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

Written from notes...
Served in a bizzare, white bottle, the beer pours a muted hazelnut color with a thin head. The nose is sweet and orange, with raspberry and a metallic element. An initial bitterness to taste turns quickly into an ULTRA sweet bit, fading nicely into spices in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-to-full, and with good carbonation. This beer is highly drinkable *IF* you can stomach that crazy sugar shock half-way through.

Opethsprite, May 19, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours into the glass with a dark red, almost brown color, topped with a decent creamy head.
The aroma is a combination of fruity and roasted smell, together with a strong alcohol note at the end.
The starts is pleasant, sweet and fruity, followed by some yeastiness and a strong alcohol hit in the end.
Not really my favourite, a bit too strong to really enjoy in this one.

MarkoNm, Mar 18, 2014

maxwelldeux, Jun 03, 2013

Kitsune, Aug 17, 2014

TrevorWGrover, May 29, 2013

kp29, Dec 21, 2012

gjoker321, Apr 01, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

This beer was served into a goblet and poured from an 11.2 oz bottle.
The color was a rich amber not quite brown to my surprise, with a very thick foamy head.
On the nose I got tons of honey... Then with the taste I got tons of honey as well and that to me is where it went down hill.

In my opinion it was a much to sweet beer in an attempt to mask the high alcohol content.

None the less it was unlike any other beer I have ever tasted before in my life and was quite an experience and pleasure to taste this beer, just not up my alley as far as favorite tastes.

Maurod4d, Jan 05, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

Dark rusty murkiness with a thin light tan head.

Aromas of sugary dark fruit jams.

Flavors of boozy dark fruit, kinda sweet with a little tartness and alcohol heat.

Medium-full body, prickly carbonated mouth feel, and stewed boozy dark fruit and yeast on the finish.

I don't know about all this "dark triple" business. Kinda tastes like a dubbel or a light quadrupel. So can I brew a classic Belgian triple and call it a dubbel blonde?

dedrinker, Jan 14, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Kept running into this beer at the store and figure I'd give it a try.

A: Very dark, red-tinged brown, and quite hazy. Plenty of head on this one, and plenty of lacing.

S: Pretty subtle. I smell some sweetness, and a bit of grassy base, but it nothing really overpowers me.

T: Strong peppery taste with a warm and seet finish. Maybe some corriander and other spices in the aftertaste. Not much in the way of hops, that I can taste.

MF: Very tingly, hard to tell if it's carbonation or just the pepper. Somewhat noticable alcohol, and pretty warming. Thick, syrupy, coating the mouth with a strong aftertaste.

D: Not bad. The flavor is a little underdeveloped. A bit too carbonated for my taste as well. Not a bad beer, but as far as Belgian beers go, you can do a lot better. Maybe Trippels just aren't my thing. I dunno.

rxdrewthejew, Nov 03, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a dark mahogany color with a thick billowing tan head. Excellent head retention. Pleasant malty aroma with hints of cane sugar and black licorice.Tastes very much like licorice, almost to the point of being like cough syrup in it's flavor. 10.5% abv is very upfront and apparent. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel. As far as drinkability is concerned, it's a bit to much like cough syrup in it's taste and feel to be TRULY enjoyable to me, but not so bad as to be dumped out. Maybe i've stayed away from truly flavorful beers for too long....

BigJTrucker, Jul 06, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Huge dark head that disapear a little bit too quickly for my liking (this seems to be a problem withVan Steenberge). Really yeasty but not as thich as I was expecting from the description. The ABV level is too much apparent for my liking. Extra point for trying to be different: dark triple and cool bottle.

Phyl21ca, Jul 28, 2003
2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

An old favorite of mine. Keep in mind, I was largely drawn to craft beer for the frequency of hefty ABV's.

A- poured into a tulip glass. Brownish-black... kinda dark ruby. It's not thick like a stout, so it doesn't have that same suggestion of high viscosity.

A- milder than I remember, lots of Beglian yeast, some maltiness.

T- Salt Water Taffy, Rummy, Tangy yeast esters, Raisins, Sweet. Kinda like a liquid candy, but if you drink this beer expecting sweetness you'll find prominent alcoholic bite. That said, for such a strong beer it comes across as very tame... in that department. Otherwise, your tongue is awash in sharp, dark flavors. Not as pruney as some dark beers, but the the dark fruits and sweets are there along w/ the phenols.

M- thinner than one would expect, but Belgians beers excell here. As it warms the sweetness prevails and the mouthfeel becomes a tad chewier. It's medium mouthfeel and the drink progresses.

O- This one doesn't really grow on you. As it warms more flavors becomes present, but not necessarily for the better. It works... it's strong w/o being overbearing, and it has a unique flavor profile. Beyond that, I think it's another overrated Belgian beer that is too quirky for it's own good.

MONKandTUCK, Jul 02, 2011

Sticky, syruppy, sweet,malty and just a bit over the top. I like beers with a big complexity, but this is perhaps a bit too much. But its not bad, could have been better.

rastaman, Apr 01, 2002

TheResidentialOP, May 28, 2012
Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.