Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,270 | Hads: 3,610
3.45/5  rDev -17.9%

From the bottle into the appropriately screen printed Gulden Draake Tulip glass. Hazy, murky medium brown appearance let no light pass through. Big head of tan foam, and notes of lace were present. Aromas of spicey sugars and malts, with a tame backbone of earthiness. Taste was quite spicey and sweet. Lots of malty caramel notes, with pronounced spices adding zestiness to the beer. Smooth and rich mouthfeel was mixed with bubbly carbonation, very nice on the palate. The drinkability was just not there for me. This is a well made beer, but not one I think i'd want to revisit.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a hazy dark reddish-brown color with chunky white head, that lasted throughout the glass, leaving very attractive lacing on the side of the glass. The smell is fantastic with strong dark fruit (prunes, plums, dates, raisins) dominating. Light toasty notes are also present. Taste is strong on fruit and malt with a magnificent creamy feeling that literally coats the inside of the mouth with the strong fruitiness. Absolutely no alcohol flavors to be found. Nice carnonation also adds to the creaminess. Finish malty and fruity with a hint of hoppy bitterness, but very little. This was an extremely enjoyable beer, The drinkability was too good for a beer of this strength.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Ahhh ... one of my very favorites and a culprit in my love of dark, strong Belgian ales. For the purposes of this review, I poured the ale into a Gulden Draak goblet from a 750 ml white coated bottle. Poured a deep, rich burgundy color that highlights red in the light. Displays a huge, mountainous head of light tan. Nose clubs you with dark, hearty fruits and spice. Dark raisins, cherries, and dates with a yeast bath. A special sweetness is present here as well ... a bit candy-like due to the use of Belgian Candi sugar in the bottle conditioning. Slightly alcoholic nose is present. Palate is extraordinary ...so complex. All of fruits mollases malt, and alcohol - rum like in some ways. The suprise ... this ale is rather hoppy, creating a marvelous balance in the flavor profile. This is master work, really. Full bodied and agressively carbonated, avoiding any semblance of a cloying effect. Though hoppier than many Belgian Strong Darks, Gulden Draak is not at all bitter. Finishes very smooth with a touch of residual sweetness. Gulden Draak is one of my favorites of all time. I love the name, the bottle, the beer ... I could go on and on. This is a world class ale. You need this beer!

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Color is cloudy medium brown with some orange showing when lighted. Full coarse head that dissipate to about a quarter inch with modest lacing.

S - Aroma of sweet malt and floral hops. Caramel overtones

T - Sweet yeasty caramel taste. You can taste alcohol but there is not a long of astringency. Aftertaste is very clean.

M - Feels rich and full with light to moderate carbonation.

D - Very drinkable, I will buy this again and again. Not overly sweet but not bitter at all. Nicely balanced, hops are not obvious as they are in IPA’s but they certainly round out the sweetness of the amount of malt necessary to get an alcohol of 10.5%

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

I am drinking a 750 mL C&C bottle poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. The ale is chilled.

Appearance: The ale pours with a hazy orange-brown color. There is ample sediment in the glass. The ale poured with a decent head and left a respectable amount of lace around the glass.

Smell: Yeast is the dominant aroma. I also smell the sweetness of candy sugars.

Taste: The candied sugars are quite evident in taste. They give the ale a very pleasing sweet taste. After that, hints of alcohol and fruit (plum maybe).

Mouthfeel: The ale sits very well in the mouth. The yeastiness and sugars taste very nice together.

Drinkability: This is an eminently drinkable ale, but the 10.5% abv is a dealbreaker, too much alcohol makes me sleepy...

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

To me, this beer is just as a tripel should be. It pours cleanly without too much foam, and smells simply wonderful - caramel and spice and minty herbs. Dark and sweet, more like a dubbel, really, but with the kick of a tripel. I frequently compare the taste of dulden draak to that of sweet wine. There is no hiding the 10+% acohol, but the flavors ride well on top of that base. Just the right amount of very bright hops (mint and lemongrass) and sweet, buttery, syrupy malt (black tea and cornsyrup, if not chocolate). Despite the sweetness, there's not sticky mouthfeel, and it drinks like red wine - that is to say very easily, especially if you don't mind the high alcohol. This beer could not be better balanced.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

this was only the second beer I'd ever reviewed on this site, so I just wanted to re-review, because my tastes have changed since then and this has become one of my favorites...

dark amber color, thick tan head audibly bubbles down to a thin ring eventually, but good head that leaves beautiful white lacing on the glass. aromas of cookies, pepper, bubblegum, really wonderful blend of malt, ester, and phenol! tastes like heaven to me - this is what Chimay Blue should taste like. light notes of coffee and chocolate overlay the rich malt but are pierced with red wine, pink peppercorns, fig, and faint tangerine. dries up remarkably for such a big beer so that the finish is only slightly sweet. if i could sit at my stool for long enough, i could drink this for hours on a cool evening. thank you van Steenberge! some day I will visit you!

=original review (30 Jan 2006) follows=

Got this in a Belgian sampler, and I really liked the bottle. Decided to crack it open for the Lunar New Year -- thought the dragon was auspicious.

On pouring it, I was surprised how dark it was, and got pretty excited. Some reddish hues and a thick tan head made it a good looking beer.

Smelled sweet, rich and malty. Lots of caramel and plum. Tasted much the same -- a little smoky, a little spicy. I think I preferred smelling it -- maybe some more hoppiness or citrus would have helped keep it from being so syrupy. A little too sweet for me right now, but probably would be excellent for desert.

Big mouthfeel, good carbonation, really coats the inside of your mouth. There's no doubt you're drinking a 10.5, but the alcohol isn't overwhelming because of all of rich malts. Having one of these for desert pretty regularly would make my mouth happy.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This very rich tripel pours a murky dark cider brown. The head is appetizing in appearance, but the liquid less so. The nose has a bit of complexity, with burnt sugar notes, along with alcohol and a bit of candied apple. Those same tastes come through with more oomph in the beer's flavor, with the the candied apple, in particular, coming forward. This beer is exceedingly sweet, which is nice at first, but the aftertaste it leaves is a bit much -- kind of a sticky film that remains in your mouth. This is pretty heavy, rich stuff that's definitely meant to be enjoyed in moderation.

A good beer for every now and then, but not one I'll keep going back to.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

appearance: malty amber brown. nice thick head, and enticing lacings throughout my glass

smell: sweet, light hops, plums, brown sugar (?), hint of booze

taste: much like an in depth version of it's smell. sweet, malty, fruity, sugary, and just a hint of alcohol. a nice mix of everything goin on here. all in it's right place on my palatte. gets sweeter as it warms.

mouthfeel: robust, and malty. dense, but not too thick. just the right amount of carbonation.

drinkablilty: one bomber was good enough for me. felt full once i was done. like a hearty meal

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Cool, stubby, white, opaque bottle. Poured into a Fischer glass (yeah, bad choice, probably), a deep orangey brown with bronze highlights and a big yellowy-beige head.

Smell is spicy alcohol, ripe fruit, raisins and pepper.

Flavour is very barley-winish, at least to my inexperienced palate. Raisings, plums, nutmeg, pepper, and a strong alcohol presence. Somewhat sour aftertaste that I didn't particularly like. This beer is high enough alcohol (10.5%) to warm the ears, which is fine but lowers its 'drinkability' a bit in that you can't have much of it.

I remember liking this better the first time I had it at Smokeless Joe in Toronto, but still quite good. I've got another bottle someone gave me for Christmas too, so we'll see how it goes the third time around.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a Chimay chalice from the standard 33 cl. bottle. This beer poured wonderfully dark almost opaque brown/red with a one finger tan white head that dissipated somewhat after a few minutes. Moderate lacing as the beer went down.

The nose is sweet, somewhat fruity, and malty with a small hop undertone.

The taste is complex and again sweet and fruity with heavy malt and underlying hoppy spice and a wonderful lingering finish. The 10.5% abv is not readily apparent in the taste or the mouthfeel.

This beer feels like liquid gold in the mouth and goes down especially smooth.

This is definitely something I could drink a lot of, but slowly. This is a beer to savor, not chug.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

When pouring this beer, I knew nothing about it but the name and that it was Belgian. Since it has a covered bottle (covered by plastic), I didn't even have a hint about the color of the beer.

I was quite surpurise to find that it was a beautiful dark strong Belgian.

The pour was beautiful. The creamy off white head was thick.

The smell was of sweatness first, then of malt, then a hint of hops.

The taste was sweater than expected, but considering the smell, it should have been expected. Spicey undertones with a slight twang as it goes down the throat.

Very big mouth.

I beleive that I could drink this beer till I fell off of my stool.

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Tight sturdy off-white head. Great lace and insane retention -- it's like concrete. Nice carbonation. Somewhat pale, but a terrific clear reddish amber. Nice.

Smell: Sweet mother of god! Massive, overwhelming aroma of ripe fruit, spice and everything nice. A bit cakey. Bit of pissy yeast funk. Seriously, this is off-the-charts huge, one of a kind.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Whoa, know where the nose is coming from. Punishingly sweet. Just... yeesh. Grapey, mildly tangy, cakey, a bit of chocolate -- didn't see that coming -- a bit spicy. Not too much alcohol, but a bit of burn on the tongue at the end. Kinda thick and dumb, frankly. Mouthfeel is smooth and dense. Nice.

Drinkability: Well, nose is off the hook, amazing. Taste, though, is too much, waaay too sweet for me. Still, at this ABV, you'll feel good about it in the end -- trust me. Enjoyable in moderation.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%

11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance = Great looking murky, dark brown-ruby red. A beautiful 1/2'' silky head that lasted for awhile. Amazinly thick and pretty lacing too. An exceptional looking beer.

Smell = A little weak in the nose. I smell alcohol and some dark fruits - grapes and plums. A tiny bit of spice too. Not a bad scent just a bit faint.

Taste = Pretty darn tasty. I love the spicy twist that hits towards the beginning of the taste process - reminds me of pepper mint. This blends nicely with the high alcohol which isn't overwhelming in the least and the sweetness which is quite pronounced from the various fruit flavors.

Overall = This is a great Belgian dark ale. Drinkable, delicious, beautiful. Quite possibly the best I've tried so far.

Creamy, lightly tan colored head. Bits of non-connected lacing around the glass. Murky, ruddy-chocolate brown in color.

Light chocolate, caramel, and toffee tones. Tart apple with some other citric fruit: orange and cherry. Whaffs of alcohol. A balanced odor.

Sharp, acidic tartness up front: green apple, lemon, grape; followed by a chocolate and semi-sweet toffee flavor that drives the taste throughout the sip. The alcohol character is a part of each flavor aspect but really warms up in the aftertaste, along with a some vinous fruit.

Full bodied; creamy yet full and almost thick on the palate. Big, intense flavors fit for a heavy mouthfeel.

The alcohol presence is not hidden, but the different flavor profiles are enriched by it. A nice, dynamic strong Belgian.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

This "dark triple" is really more of a quadrupel... but the line between a "Belgian strong dark ale" is certainly blurred.

A: Copper-brown, off-white head, nice retention and lace.

S: Dark fruit bread (fruity, bready, nutty), a little caramelized sugar.

T: Very Belgian (special B malt?). Sweet caramel, bread, fruity (raisins, prunes, figs, pineapple), fading to a slightly bitter/burnt aftertaste. Alcohol is warming and certainly apparantly, but it's not at all assertive. Well balanced, but there's a slight hint of something burnt in the aftertaste (that isn't appealing).

M: Moderate body is highly carbonated, finish is dry.

D: Quite good, especially considering the strength.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Gulden Draak pours from a 330ml white-coated bottle into my now-trusty tulip a generously dark color; After a bit of thinking, the color reminds me most of tree sap - dark brown that glows subtly orange when held to the light. A thin tan head of rising bubbles forms, then dissipates - I think I was a little underambitious on the pour. Lacing from the head is minimal, but there's a serious haze on the glass left by the liquid itself, like a very old window pane.

Smell: Candy, fruit, rhubarb, caramel, lots of distinctly rummy alcohol. Enticing. Smell definitely adds a lot to the flavor and drinking experience.

Taste definitely lets you know you're drinking 10.5% abv, but it's in a very smooth way - it's like a slick brandy. Lots of flavors going on here, especially alive due to the warmth of the liquor. Sweet across the whole palate - definite rum tastes with a butterscotch middle, almost zero bitter finals. Extremely tasty and easy drinking.

Low carbonation, which I think is appropriate, there's just enough to set off the carmally texture of this Belgian. Mouthfeel is great, alcohol warming the back of the tongue and the rest of the way down. Sticky flavors coat the mouth after swallowing, but another swallow can clear them easily if you choose.

Malty, sweet, easy-drinking, heavy on the booze, this Belgian's pretty rad IMO. Wish I'd bought another.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a dark and creamy brown with tons and tons of sticky head, tons of lacing.

Smell was very sweet and fruity with a nice cherry smell and a bit of alcohol.

Taste is very sweet and fruity up front with a decent bit of hops in the finish along with a noticeable alcohol flavor. Very tasty and complex.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full and very warm.

Drinkability is very good, especially considering the strenghth of this brew. Very enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

My son knowing my love of complex beers and the Belgium "Dubble" style told me he had to take me to the Map Room in Chicago. They feature numerous Belgium brews on tap and he said he had found one that would knock me out. He wasn't kidding! Gulden Drak, WOW.

Appearance: Dark. Cloudy. Mysterious. But I like the deep amber presentation. Solid lacing after pouring.
Smell: This got my attention immeadiately! Nutty, carmel, sweet date like aroma. I had to revisit this sensation a couple of times to make sure I got it right.
Taste: One of the most unique treats to every touch my palate! I must have tasted and pondered the flavors tickling my taste buds over and over. I finally decided on almost a buttery, malted milk flavor with a toasted almond finish. Superb!
Mouthfeel: On tap, it was so smooth! Most Belgium brews seem almost silky when gliding down my palate. This one is no exception, but I like the nutty aftertaste as I drained this goblet of joy.
Drinkability: OK, here is where I got in trouble. I liked this offering on tap so much, I enjoyed 3 large, Belgium tulip glasses in less than 2 hours. It was my birthday and everyone was buying me a round, so I couldn't resist. Long story short, the Drak kicked my assk. I should have known better to do a session with a potent brew like this, but it was pleasure and then pain the next morning. Overall an enlightening experience one I won't forget!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours out of the cool ceramic- like bottle a murky red tinged cloufy brown with tan head. Smells of noble hop, slight apricot and apple. Taste is really something- caramel, toast, fig, sherry. Very malty and filling in the mouth- I mean, tremeandous mouthfeel. Definitely a little bite and warmth when you swallow. Mine had a tiny but of harshness that I'm sure would mellow if I was a little more patient and gave it some age.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours creamy mahogany with ruby highlights and a huge frothy tan head.

The smell is amazing. I get a comples aroma of dark fruits, cherries, and slight spice notes.

The taste is of sweet caramel, dark chocolate, plums, and bit of spiciness. I'm thinking peppery, with coriander. This starts off with sweet malts and ends with a sharp and surprisingly bitter finish. The alcohol is well concealed.

Mouthfeel is amazingly full and creamy.

If I could get my hands on it, I would drink this brew quite often. Very nice.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a muddy orange-ish brown with a thin tan head that is sustained by a lot of bubbles constantly rising to the surface.

Smells like there is a ridiculous amount to of grain in this one. I’m getting port, prunes and tones of honey malt with dry bitter orange rind and spicy yeast. I’m loving it!

The flavor starts off with a sticky, burnt honey malt that just sits on my tongue. Then, the carbonation starts to release, revealing some very pleasant and mild citrus flavors and a dry melon like aromatic yeast. The finish is mostly prunes and lime with a touch of dirty coffee. Also, there’s a huge warming. Finally the 10.5% shows itself!

The mouth feel is very carbonated, but it really works well helping the flavors transition.

This is a very nice beer that’s a lot of fun to drink. The intense carbonation and high ABV unfortunately detract from the drinkability.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer pours a nice finger width of head. It's a nice dark color that looks frothey on the top and inviting. It holds a good lacing and smells like a sweet and hoppy beer. It tastes sweet and hoppy with a wonderful balance of both flavors. It feels like silk and slides down my throat very easily. It's a very drinkable, an excellent beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Revisting this one after about a year, I didn't do reviews back then and my palate was still developing.
Appearance: nice dark amber, not too much head or lacing, but there is some.
smell: ah yes the yeast. and the malts. and the fruitiness. I'm gettting hints of dark rum, perhaps from some dark sugars used in this one. Nice balance between yeast and malt.
taste: Ah, this a reminding me of Trois Pistoles, another beligan strongdark. The malts are more upfront than the yeasts, mmm that's some sweet malt. Yet it is not a very sweet beer overall, pretty dry actually. It's great. I could drink this daily. This is the 330 ml bottle, I'd like to try the 750 if ever see it. There is absolutly no trace of the 10.5 percent alcohol in the taste, none!
Mouthfeel: nice and carbinationed. Real light body for the alcohol, never had a beer with this much alcohol this light and smooth. yet i'm catching a buzz half way through the bottle. hehe
drinkability: this is really good for the stlye, only my self restrait is stoping me from finishing the bottle faster, it's so damn smooth.
To me this is a real classic and on the must try list for everybody. I'm pretty sure it's the same yeast as Trois Pistoles, but this is a bigger, more maltly beer, more likeable, a more . Both are favorites of mine. i drank this a bit colder than cellar temp.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A dark triple, eh? Well, it's more like a Belgian Strong Dark, which I think is really the proper style under which to categorize it. Had on tap at Burgh's in Bridgeville, PA. Served in the proper Gulden Draak tulip.

Appearance: Dark amber with a pretty frothy off-white head initially. As I drank it though there wasn't that much lacing. Could the glass have been dirty? Head stayed on pretty well though, as I kept swirling a bit as the beer got down the glass from consumption.

Smell: Dark fruit and spicy alcohol. Some tropical fruit and candy sugar also as it warms. Then some fig and plum start to come through.

Taste: Big burst of spicy alcohol into the dark fruit that I was hoping would be all over the body. Finishes with tropical fruit and much pleasant malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty creamy as the carbonation levels are near-perfect, coming through in a slight burst at the swallow.

Drinkability: I'll definitely be trying this again, as the on tap brew was a great experience. Maybe next time it will be from the bottle.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.