Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque, ruddy amber, with fair carbonation and really no lace at all.

Nose is spiced and fruity -- heavy on the fruit, with touches of raisin, date, dried berries, and more spice.

Taste is smooth and similarly fruit-oriented, with a hint of yeastiness at the end. Also, near the finish, there's a definite alcohol warming. Overall, this is a world class brew, exquisitely drinkable and complex. A must-try for anyone interested in fine, true Belgian ales.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Golden Dragon... sounds impressive, sounds like the sort of brew you would buy in a fantasy medieval tavern that after one sip can melt the face off the mightiest of Orc's (hat tip reference to dragon's breath beer found in an old school PC game)... one can hope for a similar (though non-lethal) version of beer with Gulden Draak.

Poured from a 330ml (love the design of this) bottle into a chalice.

A: Light dusting of tan foam on a very dark chocolate body. Looks good though I was expecting this brew to have a golden body for some reason.

S: Aromas of over-fermented apples, pears, cinnamon and cloves. Overlaying this is a background of rich caramel malts, dark fruits (figs, raisins, and prunes) and a musty yeast... expecting big warm winter flavours with this one.

T: Flavour hits like a dump truck full of bricks! The over-fermented apples and pears is replaced by an upfront bubblegum hit. Then we have the rich malts, dark fruits and yeast, along with enough sugar to kill a diabetic. Ending with a peppery note and a slight dry finish. More like a mixture of mead and port than beer, the sugar and bubblegum are the most dominant tastes hiding the alcohol.

M: Sticky, resinous body with a light but dense carbonation.

D: This is a big hitting brew that some would say is heavy-handed. Lets face it; some beers should be heavy-handed and this is one of them, despite the high ABV and the huge hit of sugar this brew contains it still manages to hold some civility, and drinks more like a fine glass of port than an overly sugary mess. If it wasn't prohibitively expensive it would make a fine top shelf end of the night brew for me.

Note: I feel like I'm wearing a cassock in the catacombs of some Franciscan monastery when I sip this ale, and can hear a friar chorus singing mass in the background. Quite a religious experience of a beer here.

Food match: Its a tough beer to match - the headiness and bold flavours make it sit between the boundary of heavy roast game meats and dessert. In a way both would work well so my suggestion would be: roast haunch of venison with roast vegetables and a thick pepper gravy, followed by a dark chocolate and baked fig ganache with a berry compote.

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

A- A cloudy yet strong caramel color with very good lacing.

S- It smells like an Irish Spring dryer sheet, a very clean and refreshing smell

T- Soapy with an hint of spice that I cannot pinpoint. Tastes like a Marzen.

M- Pleasant creaminess with an appropriate amount of lingering for aftertaste

O- An obvious Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Would be great on a crisp, cool evening...not a cold night or a hot day.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

I have had this beer before, but I don’t really remember it. I remember the bottle and the label, but didn’t realize it was a strong dark ale. I also don’t agree that it tastes like a barleywine. Of course, I don’t remember the beer… so maybe it does! But I am excited to drink this because Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. also makes Piraat, one of my favorite beers of all time. Not sure it can live up to that beer, but I am sure it’s good! Let’s get to it.

In the Glass: This beer also started overflowing as soon as I popped the top. It has to be one the beers that traveled from Indiana. That is two in a row… only a few more before we need to start shopping again. Fun. That is my favorite part! Anyway, the beer pours a very dark brown, almost black into the glass. It also has a rich, foamy white head. It’s fun seeing such a dark beer produce such a light and appetizing head.

Nose: The beer smells like liquid yeast. It has a very malty aroma, too. The words “dark ale” truly come to light here. I pulled this beer from the fridge, but I almost think some chill to it might help. Upon a second sniff I am wondering if a beer with 10.5% might be best cellared until further notice. It seems half of the beers on our list are that way.

Flavor: Holy cow flavor. There is SO much flavor in this beer. It starts sweet, then gets bitter, almost dry, then finishes strong. Hence the name, I suppose. There is so much going on here, I almost want to give this to a guy that doesn’t know or appreciate good craft beer. I mean, there are ten different flavors from the second it enters your mouth. I can see why they would call this a barleywine. It has that sweetness, and it finishes sweet. It finishes strong, but it finishes sweet just the same.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is amazing. It starts soft and sweet, then explodes across the tongue, and finishes with an explosion of sweetness. Those malty flavors that I was smelling don’t really come around until the aftertaste, and they are subtle at best. The 10.5% ABV is also nicely hidden. One or two of these and you would be feeling just fine. Swishing it around in my mouth I was able to feet a few more flavors, but it is best just sipping as is. Man… what a great beer!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste starts sweet. There is a subtle sweetness across the entire experience here. But the aftertaste, as explosive as the beer was/is, is not as big as I expected. It sticks around for a few minutes, but doesn’t leave me begging for more. The sweetness sure does!

Like I said, I have had this beer before. But when I am sitting down to not only appreciate it, but drink it with a purpose (this blog) I am enjoying it a LOT more. Man, what an incredible beer. That, and I learned that Gulden Draak actually means golden dragon. That was a cool little backstory. We are going to be in Belgium next month. Maybe I can find this on draft somewhere. Bottoms up, people!

Gulden Draak – The bottle says: “NA”

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a chalice. Pours dark caramel brown with a light tan head that dissipates quickly. Plenty of bubbles can be seen rising from the side and bottom of the glass in the initial pour, but not much is seen after that. The booze is strong with this one in the aroma. I can also pick up the dark candi sugar, Belgian yeast, and bready malt. I can also pick up that dark fruit aroma that is common with this style. There are good flavors here. I can pick up the bready malt, sweetness from the dark candi sugar, and the fruity flavors from the yeast. I can also pick up the alcohol here. The body is full with moderate carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a good sipper. This is an excellent beer.

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +12%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.