Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
View: Beers (77) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Cool, stubby, white, opaque bottle. Poured into a Fischer glass (yeah, bad choice, probably), a deep orangey brown with bronze highlights and a big yellowy-beige head.

Smell is spicy alcohol, ripe fruit, raisins and pepper.

Flavour is very barley-winish, at least to my inexperienced palate. Raisings, plums, nutmeg, pepper, and a strong alcohol presence. Somewhat sour aftertaste that I didn't particularly like. This beer is high enough alcohol (10.5%) to warm the ears, which is fine but lowers its 'drinkability' a bit in that you can't have much of it.

I remember liking this better the first time I had it at Smokeless Joe in Toronto, but still quite good. I've got another bottle someone gave me for Christmas too, so we'll see how it goes the third time around.

01-21-2006 20:36:51 | More by crwills
BassBone

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a Chimay chalice from the standard 33 cl. bottle. This beer poured wonderfully dark almost opaque brown/red with a one finger tan white head that dissipated somewhat after a few minutes. Moderate lacing as the beer went down.

The nose is sweet, somewhat fruity, and malty with a small hop undertone.

The taste is complex and again sweet and fruity with heavy malt and underlying hoppy spice and a wonderful lingering finish. The 10.5% abv is not readily apparent in the taste or the mouthfeel.

This beer feels like liquid gold in the mouth and goes down especially smooth.

This is definitely something I could drink a lot of, but slowly. This is a beer to savor, not chug.

01-21-2006 04:24:06 | More by BassBone
SSGPat

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

When pouring this beer, I knew nothing about it but the name and that it was Belgian. Since it has a covered bottle (covered by plastic), I didn't even have a hint about the color of the beer.

I was quite surpurise to find that it was a beautiful dark strong Belgian.

The pour was beautiful. The creamy off white head was thick.

The smell was of sweatness first, then of malt, then a hint of hops.

The taste was sweater than expected, but considering the smell, it should have been expected. Spicey undertones with a slight twang as it goes down the throat.

Very big mouth.

I beleive that I could drink this beer till I fell off of my stool.

01-19-2006 23:43:25 | More by SSGPat
WetCoaster

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Tight sturdy off-white head. Great lace and insane retention -- it's like concrete. Nice carbonation. Somewhat pale, but a terrific clear reddish amber. Nice.

Smell: Sweet mother of god! Massive, overwhelming aroma of ripe fruit, spice and everything nice. A bit cakey. Bit of pissy yeast funk. Seriously, this is off-the-charts huge, one of a kind.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Whoa, know where the nose is coming from. Punishingly sweet. Just... yeesh. Grapey, mildly tangy, cakey, a bit of chocolate -- didn't see that coming -- a bit spicy. Not too much alcohol, but a bit of burn on the tongue at the end. Kinda thick and dumb, frankly. Mouthfeel is smooth and dense. Nice.

Drinkability: Well, nose is off the hook, amazing. Taste, though, is too much, waaay too sweet for me. Still, at this ABV, you'll feel good about it in the end -- trust me. Enjoyable in moderation.

01-13-2006 06:54:57 | More by WetCoaster
LPorter33

11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance = Great looking murky, dark brown-ruby red. A beautiful 1/2'' silky head that lasted for awhile. Amazinly thick and pretty lacing too. An exceptional looking beer.

Smell = A little weak in the nose. I smell alcohol and some dark fruits - grapes and plums. A tiny bit of spice too. Not a bad scent just a bit faint.

Taste = Pretty darn tasty. I love the spicy twist that hits towards the beginning of the taste process - reminds me of pepper mint. This blends nicely with the high alcohol which isn't overwhelming in the least and the sweetness which is quite pronounced from the various fruit flavors.

Overall = This is a great Belgian dark ale. Drinkable, delicious, beautiful. Quite possibly the best I've tried so far.

01-11-2006 02:44:09 | More by LPorter33
NEhophead

Creamy, lightly tan colored head. Bits of non-connected lacing around the glass. Murky, ruddy-chocolate brown in color.

Light chocolate, caramel, and toffee tones. Tart apple with some other citric fruit: orange and cherry. Whaffs of alcohol. A balanced odor.

Sharp, acidic tartness up front: green apple, lemon, grape; followed by a chocolate and semi-sweet toffee flavor that drives the taste throughout the sip. The alcohol character is a part of each flavor aspect but really warms up in the aftertaste, along with a some vinous fruit.

Full bodied; creamy yet full and almost thick on the palate. Big, intense flavors fit for a heavy mouthfeel.

The alcohol presence is not hidden, but the different flavor profiles are enriched by it. A nice, dynamic strong Belgian.

01-10-2006 20:23:48 | More by NEhophead
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

This "dark triple" is really more of a quadrupel... but the line between a "Belgian strong dark ale" is certainly blurred.

A: Copper-brown, off-white head, nice retention and lace.

S: Dark fruit bread (fruity, bready, nutty), a little caramelized sugar.

T: Very Belgian (special B malt?). Sweet caramel, bread, fruity (raisins, prunes, figs, pineapple), fading to a slightly bitter/burnt aftertaste. Alcohol is warming and certainly apparantly, but it's not at all assertive. Well balanced, but there's a slight hint of something burnt in the aftertaste (that isn't appealing).

M: Moderate body is highly carbonated, finish is dry.

D: Quite good, especially considering the strength.

01-09-2006 22:57:19 | More by Derek
Tupperwolf

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Gulden Draak pours from a 330ml white-coated bottle into my now-trusty tulip a generously dark color; After a bit of thinking, the color reminds me most of tree sap - dark brown that glows subtly orange when held to the light. A thin tan head of rising bubbles forms, then dissipates - I think I was a little underambitious on the pour. Lacing from the head is minimal, but there's a serious haze on the glass left by the liquid itself, like a very old window pane.

Smell: Candy, fruit, rhubarb, caramel, lots of distinctly rummy alcohol. Enticing. Smell definitely adds a lot to the flavor and drinking experience.

Taste definitely lets you know you're drinking 10.5% abv, but it's in a very smooth way - it's like a slick brandy. Lots of flavors going on here, especially alive due to the warmth of the liquor. Sweet across the whole palate - definite rum tastes with a butterscotch middle, almost zero bitter finals. Extremely tasty and easy drinking.

Low carbonation, which I think is appropriate, there's just enough to set off the carmally texture of this Belgian. Mouthfeel is great, alcohol warming the back of the tongue and the rest of the way down. Sticky flavors coat the mouth after swallowing, but another swallow can clear them easily if you choose.

Malty, sweet, easy-drinking, heavy on the booze, this Belgian's pretty rad IMO. Wish I'd bought another.

01-01-2006 10:49:06 | More by Tupperwolf
bashiba

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a dark and creamy brown with tons and tons of sticky head, tons of lacing.

Smell was very sweet and fruity with a nice cherry smell and a bit of alcohol.

Taste is very sweet and fruity up front with a decent bit of hops in the finish along with a noticeable alcohol flavor. Very tasty and complex.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full and very warm.

Drinkability is very good, especially considering the strenghth of this brew. Very enjoyable.

12-28-2005 02:13:01 | More by bashiba
BarrelBrother

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

My son knowing my love of complex beers and the Belgium "Dubble" style told me he had to take me to the Map Room in Chicago. They feature numerous Belgium brews on tap and he said he had found one that would knock me out. He wasn't kidding! Gulden Drak, WOW.

Appearance: Dark. Cloudy. Mysterious. But I like the deep amber presentation. Solid lacing after pouring.
Smell: This got my attention immeadiately! Nutty, carmel, sweet date like aroma. I had to revisit this sensation a couple of times to make sure I got it right.
Taste: One of the most unique treats to every touch my palate! I must have tasted and pondered the flavors tickling my taste buds over and over. I finally decided on almost a buttery, malted milk flavor with a toasted almond finish. Superb!
Mouthfeel: On tap, it was so smooth! Most Belgium brews seem almost silky when gliding down my palate. This one is no exception, but I like the nutty aftertaste as I drained this goblet of joy.
Drinkability: OK, here is where I got in trouble. I liked this offering on tap so much, I enjoyed 3 large, Belgium tulip glasses in less than 2 hours. It was my birthday and everyone was buying me a round, so I couldn't resist. Long story short, the Drak kicked my assk. I should have known better to do a session with a potent brew like this, but it was pleasure and then pain the next morning. Overall an enlightening experience one I won't forget!

12-27-2005 04:54:00 | More by BarrelBrother
amicar

Missouri

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours out of the cool ceramic- like bottle a murky red tinged cloufy brown with tan head. Smells of noble hop, slight apricot and apple. Taste is really something- caramel, toast, fig, sherry. Very malty and filling in the mouth- I mean, tremeandous mouthfeel. Definitely a little bite and warmth when you swallow. Mine had a tiny but of harshness that I'm sure would mellow if I was a little more patient and gave it some age.

12-24-2005 01:26:50 | More by amicar
Blakaeris

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours creamy mahogany with ruby highlights and a huge frothy tan head.

The smell is amazing. I get a comples aroma of dark fruits, cherries, and slight spice notes.

The taste is of sweet caramel, dark chocolate, plums, and bit of spiciness. I'm thinking peppery, with coriander. This starts off with sweet malts and ends with a sharp and surprisingly bitter finish. The alcohol is well concealed.

Mouthfeel is amazingly full and creamy.

If I could get my hands on it, I would drink this brew quite often. Very nice.

12-20-2005 01:19:23 | More by Blakaeris
DarkerTheBetter

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a muddy orange-ish brown with a thin tan head that is sustained by a lot of bubbles constantly rising to the surface.

Smells like there is a ridiculous amount to of grain in this one. I’m getting port, prunes and tones of honey malt with dry bitter orange rind and spicy yeast. I’m loving it!

The flavor starts off with a sticky, burnt honey malt that just sits on my tongue. Then, the carbonation starts to release, revealing some very pleasant and mild citrus flavors and a dry melon like aromatic yeast. The finish is mostly prunes and lime with a touch of dirty coffee. Also, there’s a huge warming. Finally the 10.5% shows itself!

The mouth feel is very carbonated, but it really works well helping the flavors transition.

This is a very nice beer that’s a lot of fun to drink. The intense carbonation and high ABV unfortunately detract from the drinkability.

12-16-2005 19:58:32 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Erdinger2003

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours a nice finger width of head. It's a nice dark color that looks frothey on the top and inviting. It holds a good lacing and smells like a sweet and hoppy beer. It tastes sweet and hoppy with a wonderful balance of both flavors. It feels like silk and slides down my throat very easily. It's a very drinkable, an excellent beer.

12-08-2005 00:22:06 | More by Erdinger2003
pjwilson

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Revisting this one after about a year, I didn't do reviews back then and my palate was still developing.
Appearance: nice dark amber, not too much head or lacing, but there is some.
smell: ah yes the yeast. and the malts. and the fruitiness. I'm gettting hints of dark rum, perhaps from some dark sugars used in this one. Nice balance between yeast and malt.
taste: Ah, this a reminding me of Trois Pistoles, another beligan strongdark. The malts are more upfront than the yeasts, mmm that's some sweet malt. Yet it is not a very sweet beer overall, pretty dry actually. It's great. I could drink this daily. This is the 330 ml bottle, I'd like to try the 750 if ever see it. There is absolutly no trace of the 10.5 percent alcohol in the taste, none!
Mouthfeel: nice and carbinationed. Real light body for the alcohol, never had a beer with this much alcohol this light and smooth. yet i'm catching a buzz half way through the bottle. hehe
drinkability: this is really good for the stlye, only my self restrait is stoping me from finishing the bottle faster, it's so damn smooth.
To me this is a real classic and on the must try list for everybody. I'm pretty sure it's the same yeast as Trois Pistoles, but this is a bigger, more maltly beer, more likeable, a more . Both are favorites of mine. i drank this a bit colder than cellar temp.

12-02-2005 08:41:09 | More by pjwilson
asabreed

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

A dark triple, eh? Well, it's more like a Belgian Strong Dark, which I think is really the proper style under which to categorize it. Had on tap at Burgh's in Bridgeville, PA. Served in the proper Gulden Draak tulip.

Appearance: Dark amber with a pretty frothy off-white head initially. As I drank it though there wasn't that much lacing. Could the glass have been dirty? Head stayed on pretty well though, as I kept swirling a bit as the beer got down the glass from consumption.

Smell: Dark fruit and spicy alcohol. Some tropical fruit and candy sugar also as it warms. Then some fig and plum start to come through.

Taste: Big burst of spicy alcohol into the dark fruit that I was hoping would be all over the body. Finishes with tropical fruit and much pleasant malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty creamy as the carbonation levels are near-perfect, coming through in a slight burst at the swallow.

Drinkability: I'll definitely be trying this again, as the on tap brew was a great experience. Maybe next time it will be from the bottle.

11-24-2005 15:08:29 | More by asabreed
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great buzz! Great alcohol content. Lots of fun to drink. Appearance is wonderful. Deep dark brown with a super sticky thick, everlasting white head. Great lacing! Smells of wet herbs and hay, a pinch of orange, and peppery grains. Tastes great. Smooth as silk. Super malty. Slightly burnt caramels and chocolates. Sweet and warming. Wet hard woods, leaves, and sweet mulch. Full bodied goodness.

Beer to the point. True greatness. I’ll be picking up a few 750s of this one.

11-22-2005 02:42:27 | More by DaPeculierDane
budsboy

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Deep brown, cloudy with a tan sticky head that stays all the way down.

Malty, bready and earthy aroma. Alcohol comes through. Tree bark comes to mind.

Sweet dark fruit, wood, roasted malt, warming alcohol, slighty phenolic with a tart bitterness on the finish.

Full bodied, fluffy and smooth. Thickening. A meal.

Less wine-like than some and wonderfully fulfilling. Very nice.

11-20-2005 15:45:22 | More by budsboy
Nutleybeer

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Got an opportunity to try Gulden Draak on tap at the Waterfront Alehouse in Brooklyn. Anything Belgian is worth giving a shot, even at $6.50 a pint.

It poured really nice, with a smooth creamy head. The head remained in tact the whole time; releasing a pleasant spicy scent. The color is dark, reddish/brown.

The taste was enjoyable. I was reminded of a honey like quality in each sip. There was a subtle sweetness. Overall, a good drinking experience. I will be looking on the shelves for this beer in the future.

11-20-2005 12:50:56 | More by Nutleybeer
mmmbeer

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

330 mL stubby with no freshness date needed due to the ABV and the painted bottle. Pours a reddish color that is bright red when light shines through. It has a 3 finger rocky head that pokes above the rim of the tulip and leaves a lot of foamy lace. Toward the end I poured in the rest of the bottle, which gave it a murky, more brown color. It smells of raisins and orange predominantly, but has banana, sour apples, pepper, melons?, bubblegum, and maybe some hops. The first sip is heavy and very sweet with a touch of metal, which is not quite what I was expecting, but let's work with it. As I drink, there are also raisins, apples, cloves, pepper, oranges, and a sweetness that is still there, strong, but not as cloying as it could be considering how malty this brew is. The body has more initial carbonation than I would have thought, but it smooths and becomes near flat by the end of the glass. The drinkability suffers not from the high ABV, which is only evident in a slight warming sensation, but from the strong sweetness. However, it is still a good beer and it's getting me excited about the other Belgians I have stashed away

11-17-2005 08:46:47 | More by mmmbeer
andjusticeforale

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

“The Golden Dragon”

This beer comes in an intriguing white bottle. It pours a deep opaque yet luminous brown.The head is tan and settles into some chunkiness, a height of about 1 cm. The head reminds the drinker of a finely carbonated stout head. Amazingly fresh and alive out of the bottle, a golden hue becomes apparent.

The smell is of clove and sugar and exotic perfume. The carbonation is exquisitely fine. The first sip hits like a blast of molasses and sweet apple, with a semi dry finish of lingering sweetness. There is an underlying malty-breadiness, and the 10.5% gives the beer a brandy-like quality at times. The alcohol is never overpowering because of the carbonation and full mouthfeel, just present.

This is a beer that commands you to take notice of it. The complexity is not as readily apparent as a Belgian Quad, no plums and cherries and tropical banana fruits, but the complexity is there. The malts and sugar and alcohol- perhaps over the top because of the lack of hops, still show terrific balance sip after sip and are remarkably never cloying. And as the glass warms and the beer swirls, there is more and more magic.

Perhaps this can best be described as a dark imperial tripel. What it lacks in sweet-bitter balance, it regains in its balance of light and dark. In heaven, at the annual golf tournament, at the 19th hole, while celebrating a round of perfect hole-in-ones, you forgot your wallet, but guess what? Jesus buys a round, and its Gulden Drak, and all you can think to say is “thank you lord.”

11-15-2005 12:54:03 | More by andjusticeforale
hero27

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

On-tap @ the Lava Lounge in Waterloo, Iowa..

Pours a deep mahogany with a downright enormous, off-white head..that stays for as long as you'll let it. Aroma is of dark fruits and Belgian spices.
Tastes heavenly. Herbal hop notes perfectly balanced with a wide-array of fruits and infinitely complex, bready & toffee malts. A perfect example of a beer that is very complex, but with no one flavor standing out. They all seem to blend effortlessly here.
Definitely glad I have this on-tap at my local bar..a Belgian ale of standout caliber. Kick ass.

11-13-2005 20:46:08 | More by hero27
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I bought 2 bottles of this stuff at Wilbur's in Ft. Collins, Colorado.

Pours so darned beautifully ending up a dark gold in my Chimay glass. Nice head that lingers with very nice lacing around the glass.

The smell is a superb apple, reminiscent of my favourite soda..Jones Green Apple. I couldn't wait to dive right in. ;^)

The taste is a plethora of fruity flavours that are dominated by apple but yet aren't.(if you catch my meaning)
At 10% abv, I want to just sip and enjoy but the drinkabilty of this brew has to be experienced to be appreciated. This is, for me, a truly world class experience in Triples and I'll certainly buy it again!

Long live the Golden Dragon!!

10-10-2005 23:32:50 | More by Bitterbill
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Picked up a cute little stubby 11.2oz single from Steve's Liquor here in Madison. Neat white bottle too.

Pours a murky mahogany brown with a short off-white head in my sweet new Schlitz chalice. That's right - Schlitz chalice. Anyhow, nose is warm and spicy with apple cinnamon and nutmeg over Belgian yeast. Tastes like chilled sparkling apple cider - winter spices, fresh pressed apples, figs, and some light bready yeast. Quite sweet overall, not a whole lot of bitter to balance it, but I didn't mind. Like a much more refined version of New Glarus' Apple Ale. The 10.5% is almost nonexistent, expertly hidden without bitterness. Another pleasant surprise for the night after DFH's 90 Minute IPA. Good beer night for me. Wish this wasn't so damn expensive, so a rare treat for me that I will surely enjoy again.

10-10-2005 03:05:12 | More by Golden2wenty1
radshoesbro

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

poured 330 ml white bottle with no freshness date. pours dark dark brown with a hint of orange around the edges. small head w/ good retention. minimal lace. nose has malts, yeast, raisins (?), and super alcohol. however, the most prevalent thing in the smell is definately the apricots. sweet malty flavor. the malts remind me vaguely of milk chocolate. really almost to complex to put into words, you've really gotta try this to understand the taste. this is totally full of flavor! definately has an alcohol taste to it, but it's not strong at all.

10-01-2005 20:09:51 | More by radshoesbro
Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.