Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a mahogany color. It looks like a thick iced tea. Good foamy head at the start but it disappears quickly. The scents are strong brown sugar, some caramel and a deep wet grass finishes the smells.

A very malty brew. The sweet brown sugar is very dominant. A caramel syup adds to the flavors and a sweet fruit finish. A very sweet overall flavor for this ale. Too sweet for me. It is like candy. The sweetness is also an after flavor. The alcohol is very present in the flavor of this ale.

It feels bold and crisp. A heavy touch to the mouthfeel. If you like sweet brews give this one a try.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

11.2oz bottle poured in a fancy glass.

Pours a dark brown with some ruby hints with very little head and a bit of lacing. Not very dark for a dark beer.

Taste is very complex, alcohol is slightly harsh and a bit sharp. There are some raisin and prune notes to it. Tastes lingers, there's quite a bit of Belgian taste to it, but not too strong. Quite a good mouthfeel, very thick and creamy almost.

Drinkability is a bit low just because there is so much going on, it'll kill your pallet pretty damn fast.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Nice murky reddish brown beverage sporting a rather enthusiastic latte colored foamy head that dissipated after just a few minutes, leaving behind a 1/8" blanket.

S - Something in the dark fruit arena stikes my nose first. Maybe even currant. A little spicing dances around the bombastic yeast party, fueled by a definite alcohol brightness.

T - There are some dark cherry things going on in the taste that is nearly overpowered by the alcoholic yeast fandango that quickly demands attention. Not oncredibly well balanced in my opinion. Maybe some age could tame this dragon a bit.

M - Well carbonated and surprisingly thin despite the color. Heavy alcohol presence in the finish with just a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste.

This one could have been better if not so boozy. Yes, it has a high ABV, but it's just not as well balanced as some othre representatives of the style.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was given a bottle of Brouwerij Van Steenberge's Gulden Draak. I was pretty sure I've had this beer before, but when I looked it up it showed that I hadn't reviewed it, so I don't know if I tried it or not, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a white Belgian style bottle into a chalice.

A- The bottle looks nice, it's got a distinctive look to it that makes it stick out a little. It poured a muddy brown color that took on some crimson hues around the edges when held to the light with about a fingers worth of bubbly tan head that quickly faded to a thin ring that eventually disappeared and it didn't leave any lacing behind This was a decent looking beer, but I wish the head and lacing were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by a fruity aroma being the first to show up and that seems like a pretty even mixture of dark fruit and apple juice like aromas. Up next a slight brown sugar aroma along with some caramel and light toffee like aromas and there's a some spicy Belgian yest showing up in the background. The aroma was decent, but the apple juice aromas were unwanted.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar and it starts off with a lighter amount of high sweetness that had a brown sugar like flavor to it and it was followed by the same fruity aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time they are lighter with neither aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, light caramel and light toffee flavors with some brown bread and spicy belgian yeast in the background. On the finish there's a slight boozy flavor with pretty much no bitterness and it had caramel, toffee and dark fruit like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the sweetness was a little too high.

M- A little smooth, slightly cloying, a little sticky, fairly crisp, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it was a little smoother and not so sticky.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a pretty average example Belgian Strong Dark Ale, the brewery claims this in a dark Tripel, but to me it's just an average Belgian Strong Dark Ale and there isn't anything about it that immediately makes me think of a Tripel. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, slightly cloying, a little sticky, fairly crisp, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, so I think one bottle would be my limit and even that is a little more than enough, I wouldn't want to have another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was nothing, there wasn't one single aspect that stuck at as being better than the rest. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness and lack of complexity, that seemed to be this beers biggest downfalls. I might buy this beer again if I knew it was fresh, but I'm in no hurry to find a fresh bottle and as it stands now I can't say I would recommend it. All in all I just wasn't too into this beer it seemed a little bland and with the sweetness sticking out the most it didn't really make for the best introduction to a dark Tripel. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or my favorite BSDA. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

Deep red with a crackiling bubbly reddish tan head.
Aroma of wet wheat, fruit and horse blankets.
Robustly flavored of dark fruit (fig/cherry/plum), molasses and roasted caramel. Notes of a distilled spirit nature.
Medium-full feel, very syrupy.
Seemed as if it hadn't fully fermented, almost like malt extract.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.