Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Alström Bros
StoutHunter

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

I was given a bottle of Brouwerij Van Steenberge's Gulden Draak. I was pretty sure I've had this beer before, but when I looked it up it showed that I hadn't reviewed it, so I don't know if I tried it or not, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a white Belgian style bottle into a chalice.

A- The bottle looks nice, it's got a distinctive look to it that makes it stick out a little. It poured a muddy brown color that took on some crimson hues around the edges when held to the light with about a fingers worth of bubbly tan head that quickly faded to a thin ring that eventually disappeared and it didn't leave any lacing behind This was a decent looking beer, but I wish the head and lacing were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by a fruity aroma being the first to show up and that seems like a pretty even mixture of dark fruit and apple juice like aromas. Up next a slight brown sugar aroma along with some caramel and light toffee like aromas and there's a some spicy Belgian yest showing up in the background. The aroma was decent, but the apple juice aromas were unwanted.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar and it starts off with a lighter amount of high sweetness that had a brown sugar like flavor to it and it was followed by the same fruity aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time they are lighter with neither aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, light caramel and light toffee flavors with some brown bread and spicy belgian yeast in the background. On the finish there's a slight boozy flavor with pretty much no bitterness and it had caramel, toffee and dark fruit like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the sweetness was a little too high.

M- A little smooth, slightly cloying, a little sticky, fairly crisp, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it was a little smoother and not so sticky.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a pretty average example Belgian Strong Dark Ale, the brewery claims this in a dark Tripel, but to me it's just an average Belgian Strong Dark Ale and there isn't anything about it that immediately makes me think of a Tripel. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, slightly cloying, a little sticky, fairly crisp, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, so I think one bottle would be my limit and even that is a little more than enough, I wouldn't want to have another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was nothing, there wasn't one single aspect that stuck at as being better than the rest. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness and lack of complexity, that seemed to be this beers biggest downfalls. I might buy this beer again if I knew it was fresh, but I'm in no hurry to find a fresh bottle and as it stands now I can't say I would recommend it. All in all I just wasn't too into this beer it seemed a little bland and with the sweetness sticking out the most it didn't really make for the best introduction to a dark Tripel. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or my favorite BSDA. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

06-25-2014 03:31:40 | More by StoutHunter

vinny21bal

01-24-2014 08:15:26 | More by vinny21bal
mschofield

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Deep red with a crackiling bubbly reddish tan head.
Aroma of wet wheat, fruit and horse blankets.
Robustly flavored of dark fruit (fig/cherry/plum), molasses and roasted caramel. Notes of a distilled spirit nature.
Medium-full feel, very syrupy.
Seemed as if it hadn't fully fermented, almost like malt extract.

01-05-2004 19:51:50 | More by mschofield
TheStoutAholic

Iowa

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Glass type: tulip glass.

A: Well this is my first DARK Triple therefore was very dark for a triple

S: The smell was very sweet smelled of fruit.

T: This was a very fruity tasting Triple.

M: Has a very fruity taste with a head that doesn't mask its flavor one bit.

D: It started tasting better as it warmed up to room temperature.

This was my first taste of a Dark Triple therefore I have nothing to compare it to, it was decent, more fruity than I was ready for though.

11-17-2009 04:16:48 | More by TheStoutAholic
RodneyFarva

Spain

3.3/5  rDev -22%

330ml bottle poured into a chalice

a: pours a dark brown ruby with a two finger fluffy head. decent lacing. very nice color.

s: aroma of malts, brown sugar sweetness, dark fruits, strong alcohol heat.

t: brown sugar sweetness, raisins and plums. quite boozy and syrupy, and overly sweet. alcohol quite apparent.

o: lots of different interesting flavors, but the alcohol presence and sweetness really got to me. at the end, it was difficult to finish rather than enjoyable once it had warmed up considerably. interesting beer, but flawed.

03-18-2012 14:54:21 | More by RodneyFarva
korguy123

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

330ml into Founders snifter.

A- Muddy swamp water pour with ruby highlights. Aggressive pour gave me a finger width off white head. Even hard swirls left me with very little. Lacing is spotty at best.

S- Slight rubbing alcohol mixed with chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla, figs and various other stone fruits. Yeasty like a doughnut.

T- Quite sweet with brown sugar and vanilla up front. Stone fruits and yeast in the back with a slight alcohol taste.

M- Medium bodied with slight prickly carbonation. Alcohol burn on the tongue and on the way down.

O- I'm really becoming a strong supporter of the BSDA, this one had wonderful potential but the alcohol being so out there in all aspects made me a little disappointed. It probably needs time to mellow out.

11-23-2011 23:51:12 | More by korguy123
paterlodie

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Nice white botle; great name.... what to expect? Nice darkbrown colour with a lightbrown head that lasts. Malty nose that tends to sweet and hardly any caramel but litle hops. Tast is sweet and full bodied and aftertast starts sweet but finishes bitter. To sweet( and alcoholic) to drink more than one.

10-19-2004 18:13:12 | More by paterlodie
blakesell

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a big 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus belgian cereal bowl.

Appearance- A cloudy dark brown almost opaque with a huge head of froth that never really dissapates. Comes to a creamy slosh on the top of the beer lacing/legs all up on the glass.

Smell- Dark fruits, fig, molasses, prunes, rasin, a hidden candi sugar that disguises itself well in with the fruits and yeasty esters. Much of the belgian style yeast permeating thru this beer.

Taste- Sweet with sugars and a phenolic alcohol bite at the end, a lactose style creaminess that is reminescent of Rochefort lingering in the background. The yeast in this beer does a fine job of hiding those sugars throughout.

Mouthfeel- Here's where this beer runs short. A sticky cloying mouthfeel that makes you feel like you have been eating candy all day. I've had lucky charms with less sugary mouthfeel.

Drinkability- It's ok for drinkability, but the 10.5% ABV would kill the average person trying for a session here. I'm glad I'm cooking with the rest.

09-15-2007 00:38:02 | More by blakesell
jhicks12

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Appearance: Poured a nice Brown amber burgundy color with a fluffy with head.

Smell: nice sweet malt and citrus and a little alcohol in there as well.

Taste: Nice balanced malt sweet nice with a little clove and citrus in the finish

Mouthfeel: Nice Bubble carbonation and smooth feel. Gulden Draak has a nice balance

Drinkability: One of the more drinkable Belgians in my opinion, I would actually beable to drink more than one. Most Belgians are either too sweet or a little to dry. The

02-02-2007 13:52:00 | More by jhicks12
Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.