Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)Gulden Draak (Dark Triple)

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,375 | Reviews: 1,258

3.02/5  rDev -28.8%

An old favorite of mine. Keep in mind, I was largely drawn to craft beer for the frequency of hefty ABV's.

A- poured into a tulip glass. Brownish-black... kinda dark ruby. It's not thick like a stout, so it doesn't have that same suggestion of high viscosity.

A- milder than I remember, lots of Beglian yeast, some maltiness.

T- Salt Water Taffy, Rummy, Tangy yeast esters, Raisins, Sweet. Kinda like a liquid candy, but if you drink this beer expecting sweetness you'll find prominent alcoholic bite. That said, for such a strong beer it comes across as very tame... in that department. Otherwise, your tongue is awash in sharp, dark flavors. Not as pruney as some dark beers, but the the dark fruits and sweets are there along w/ the phenols.

M- thinner than one would expect, but Belgians beers excell here. As it warms the sweetness prevails and the mouthfeel becomes a tad chewier. It's medium mouthfeel and the drink progresses.

O- This one doesn't really grow on you. As it warms more flavors becomes present, but not necessarily for the better. It works... it's strong w/o being overbearing, and it has a unique flavor profile. Beyond that, I think it's another overrated Belgian beer that is too quirky for it's own good.

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

gulden draak
3.5 deep amber, short head, not much lace
3 obvious high alcohol content wafts about freely (would have believed 15-20%, easy). when the nose begins to recover, some sweet fruits are noted--guava, cherries, bananas. there is also a rummyness. but it's all way too dominated by the alcohol.
3 taste is alcohol, alcohol, sweet fruits, alcohol. it's like jumping the gun and having a fruit flavored rum ball before the excess alcohol has had some time to evaporate.
4 body on the full side of medium, carbonation ample.
2.5 not that it's bad beer, but it's hard to find under all that solvent.

3.04/5  rDev -28.3%

11oz Stepped stubby bottle (same as the picture) into a wine glass. Wanted to try this because of the interesting flat white bottle and the menacing sounding name. $5.99 at totalwine in delaware.

Dark dark brown with red lowlights when held to the light. White head that didnt accumulate much but lacing clings strongly to the glass.

Smell is very sharp, a little banana sweetness but i find it not very pleasant, peppery and alcoholic.

Taste is very flat, prunish and not much more. Not much like a "trippel" that i was imagining.

Mouthfeel is good, tiny tingly carbonation, not to sticky or thick. Does not taste like 10.5% alc.

3.06/5  rDev -27.8%

Skunky tripel. Dark amber pour with a thick tan head. Aroma is oakey malt with some prunes and raisins. The taste is very disappointing. Musty and alcoholic the whole way through. Somewhat sweet at the end, but not in a good way. Thank God I only bought the little bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into Ommegang Tulip glass.

Appearance: Deep caramel/amber color with a long-standing two-finger off-white head that leaves behind decent lace.

Smell: Candy sweetness with some alcohol.

Taste: Candy sweetness throughout, with slight alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty heavy body, with a bit too heavy carbonation and a cool, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: A strange beer, and I can't say I'm a fan of the candy malt. Not much depth in this, but still worth a try- I seem to be an exception.

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

A tawny amber gem in the glass, champagne bubbles like fireworks, and an incredible mountainous head. Smell disappoints a bit after this, as in addition to the suspected notes of bananas, cloves, etc, I found it a bit metallic. Upon ingestion, the front half of the tongue is coated with syrupy rum raisin flavors, with little on the back. The mouthfeel is ok, until late in the game when one is left with a sensation not unlike one might experience after dispensing the contents of one's piggy bank into ones one's mouth. I've been craving a great Belgian all day, and frankly I'm disappointed. Especially after I spend 12 bucks on the damn thing.

3.14/5  rDev -25.9%

This beer pours a murky deep brown with a explosive and billowing head...looks nice in the glass.

The aroma is sickly sweet bubble gum, raisins, plums. Too much for my preference.

The taste is evidently complex to some, but to me it is too muddy sweet and rife with the flavor of overipe and rotting fruit. The bite of the alcohol also sears the tongue. The body seems about right to support the heavy sweetness in this beer.

Perhaps I am just not a Belgian triple fan, but this beer...with its high alcohol content and overwhelming sweetness was a chore to drink.

3.16/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured this undated 11.2 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Created a very tall off-white creamy head. A cap of foam remained throughout the entire leisurely session. Body was a nearly opaque burgandy/brown color.

Smell was primarily of sweet malts. Grains. Dried fruits and alcohol.

Taste reflected the aromas. Sweet. Raisins. Alcohol.

Mouthfilling creaminess.

High alcohol ensures that I do not drink this one too quickly. However. for the high ABV it is quite drinkable. There are too many excellent Belgians available for me to return to this one for a long time.

3.16/5  rDev -25.5%

Beautiful beer with a strong dark color and a nice tan head.
Smells like roasted malts, somewhat like a porter which I thought it was odd.
Taste is also peculiar for a belgian strong dark ale, with the usual heavy malts but a bitter taste that I cannot relate to hops and it just feels different, although not unpleasant.
Full bodied, however, it has that strange bitter taste that makes me wonder if this beer was not too long on the shelf.
As it is, I do not really like it, but will give it another try.

3.17/5  rDev -25.2%

Not a fan of this flavour, but can appreciate the brew

3.18/5  rDev -25%

I'm having trouble liking this one, or wanting more. I think I just have to get used to this kind of belgian. I find the sweet tangy ness a bit much for my palette and I find I pucker a bit after I take a sip. I'll keep trying though. And I'll probably get this again eventually once I become more familiar with these.

A - Dark dark brown, nice lacing

S - Sweet/ Sour, caramel

T - Sour and tangy

M - sweet finish on my palete

D - Better once it warms up, you get more of the body and fullness to offset just the sweet.

3.18/5  rDev -25%

This pours with a nice carmely-brown color, almost opaque, or at least very dense. The head is off-white and at least a couple of inches which settles to about 1/2 inch after some time. The smell is sweet with hints of fruit and perhaps cake, perhaps even a little nutty. I'm not so crazy about the first sip, all I'm tasting is alcohol. Second sip I the sweet malt takes over. The aftertaste is powerful and not unlike that of a good port, albeit a bit smokey and most noticably not a port. Long term after-taste is almost astringant and I can't help but want something else to wash it away. The mouthfeel is odd to me. It looks like it should be heavier, and it's anything but light, but it isn't heavy, either. Confused? So am I. Very complex. Perhaps too much for my taste. I think I'll have to try a few more before I have a solid opinion.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.