1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Piraat Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Piraat AlePiraat Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian IPA |  10.50% ABV

A robustly bitter strong Belgian pale ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001)
View: Beers (74) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Piraat Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,741 | Reviews: 945 | Show All Ratings:
Photo of

1.78/5  rDev -56.2%

Poured a dark gold/copper color with quite a bit of haze. Head settled quickly. Smell was at first malt, then rubbing alcohol. Taste was about the same, some sweetness on the front, followed by a blast of alcohol. As I struggled through the glass, I seemed to also get a grassy aftertaste. My final thought was that the beer left me feeling like I had gargled with alcohol. It seemed to improve a little bit as it warmed (taste mellowed), but it's also possible that my tastebuds were just pummeled into senselessness. Mouthfeel was OK (I think). Drinkability - well I didn't pour it out, but I am not happy that I have a second one. Are you beginning to get the idea I didn't like this beer? Looking at the other reviews, I may have gotten a skunked beer. Since I have a second, I will, as a service to beerkind, try it again.

06-09-2006 13:32:07 | More by
stcules

Italy

1.9/5  rDev -53.2%

Golden color, almost amber. White foam, compact, not bad.
The smell: not bad in itself, with flowers and fresh fruitiness, but the problem is the alcohol, a lot. Absolutely too strong. Honey, perhaps? Anyway, unbalanced.
In the taste too, again fruity (pear), the alcohol is too strong. Absolutely unbalanced. 10.5 ABV. All perceptible.
Scarce drinkability, too much alcohol.

01-31-2006 19:32:18 | More by stcules
magictrokini

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

Awful. Pours clear gold with a fizzy white head. Orange peel, spice, and malt in the aroma. Taste was a metallic straw flavor with some malt and spice. A dirt-like finish. Judging by the other ratings, I may have got a bad one. But the one I got does not make me want to find out for sure.

12-05-2008 21:46:37 | More by magictrokini
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

A deep orange gold in colour, quite clear, with just a thin off white head. Seems a bit lifeless to the eye.

Funky aroma that comes of as a mix of liquor, butter and flowers to my nose. Really isn't making me excited to drink.

There is a sugary, honey sweetness to the front of the tongue followed by a dry flowery, liquor touched finish. I'd like to be more descriptive here, but it just isn't to my liking.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and it doesn't seem to have the carbonation I expect from a belgian brew.

Perhaps this was an off bottle? This really disappointed, I had a tough time finishing.

01-16-2009 02:02:42 | More by elricorico
Stimack

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

After seeing this brew for years I thought I would give it a try. I am not sure if it was the bottle that I had or what but I think that this was a very tough drink, just did not set right with me for some reason. It was poured to a somewhat hazy colored yellow with a smallish white hard that broke down quite quickly bur did leave a trace of lacing at the top of the glass. The aroma’s seemed to be complex, which really intrigued me, had fruit like lemon, spices, and a sweet property. So with the aroma, I was really thinking that this was going to be one of my great beers but the taste seemed to hold something that was very tough to take in. Upfront the taste was good with a sweet property and some spices piping through but then at the tail end I got this rough taste that I would imagine would be a mix hop and alcohol that was tough to finish. From the way it looks I am in the minority here but I felt that this brew was extremely tough to drink, and overall not very good. Again, it I am in the minority here so take this review with a grain of salt. Will I try it again, yeah will do that because this review is based on a single experience. Will update the review if I have a different perspective.

01-15-2007 14:46:06 | More by Stimack
hyland24

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass with a patch on me eye and a dead parrot on me shoulder. Poured a slightly hazy gold with a ridiculous 4 inch thick head that me dead parrot was actually able to sit on. After 20 minutes of starin at that head with me one good eye I decided she wasnt goin nowhere so I better get to drinkin. The taste was dry and way too sweet almost like drinking a wine. Warm alcohol finish with a sticky sweet mouthcoat. Way too sweet for a beer. I'd rather walk the plank than drink this swill again. Shiver me timbers this shit sucked.

04-23-2008 06:11:45 | More by hyland24
Bighuge

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

This beer is clear golden. Streams of CO2 surface at a nice clip. The head is fluffy and airy and eggshell colored. Retention is very good. Aroma is of must, lime peel, dough and yeast. Mouthfeel is too gaseous. Makes me burp too much. And it's hard to swallow. The flavors really do not do much for me. Harsh citric tones of lime and lemon. Very little yeast or dough contributions. And there's a husky astringency to it as well. Not a beer I'd buy again.

02-11-2004 05:50:28 | More by Bighuge
travolta

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance:
Large pillowy head with minimal retention. Head swirls back up easily. Lightly hazy orange in color. Mild lacing.

Nose:
Malt, candied fruit, slight alcohol at the end.

Taste:
Mixed between mild hops and malt at first. Alcohol sweeps in and changes everything. Malt and mild hops tries to linger through the alcohol.

Notes:
Nothing exceptional fights the alcohol in this ale. The alcohol is overpowering with no reward, minus the obvious.

11-04-2007 02:18:07 | More by travolta
3nlightenedfool

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

I paid $13 U.S. (Oct. 2011) for this. I got it based on it's rating on this website. This was a weird beer. At first I told myself that I would like this beer no matter what because "I am a beer connoisseur and I can appreciate anything truly unique and interesting"....I was wrong.

This beer was uncomfortable. It was way too carbonated, which was the strangest part of it. It fizzled in my mouth and this made it hard to swallow. If I tried to just get it down it made me gassy before the next sip and I just couldn't bring myself to keep going. As for the taste, I found it obnoxious. It wasn't an IPA and it wasn't a double anything. The malts were just weird and the hops took a vacation to visit better breweries.

To give a point of reference...Chimay Blue/Grand Reserve. If Chimay was a perfect 5 (which is close to the truth) this beer would define the bottom end of the style...1/5. But since this beer exists in a world with Bud Light, it obviously deserves more than a ZERO score.

The truth/bottom line....I didn't finish my bomber...I tried, but it went down the sink.

10-11-2011 23:10:15 | More by 3nlightenedfool
clvand0

Kentucky

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one pours an amber color with a large head that dies off into a rocky shape and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was a little grassy and hoppy with some sweet fruits. The taste is very strong and is composed of peppery spices and some sweetness. The flavor seems a little too aggressive for my tastes compared to the others by this brewer. Not smooth enough to thoroughly enjoy.

09-26-2003 17:51:31 | More by clvand0
PBRstreetgang

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a clear golden hue before the yeast pour, with a massive snow-white head that leaps out of the glass- just to let you know its Belgian. The typical stubborn head that comes with the style is here- one that forces you to wait; and admire the rocky billows of foam that slowly sink to reveal magnificent spiderweb lacing and active carbonation. The high carbonation releases effervescent aromas of candy-sugar, slightly buiscuity pils malt, and mild Saaz hops. The nose seems much more subdued than appropriate, and pales in comparison to the appearance or taste. First sip is light beet sugar and sharp pils. Some faint toasted notes and Trappist phenols similiar to Tripel become more obvious in the aftertaste, but the character is almost entirely devoted to bitterness. There is little to no hop flavor aside from a background spicy saaz and mabye a hint of floral Hallertau- but even the bitterness is lacking to balance the syrupy sweet malt and sugar. Of course this style is open to interpretation but Piraat is more sweet than bitter and has very litle hop presence(and yes- I am drinking the IPA Piraat). The medium body is made ultra light due to the knife-like carbonation that also whisks away some of the residual sweetness but further masks the timid noble hop character. Finishes sweet with mellow yet tart phenols, a bland and flat bitterness, and rosey alcohol notes as it warms. The phenols are interesting but other than that this seems to be a fairly simple beer and poor example of the style. This would score better as a hoppy BSGA.

03-16-2008 10:00:25 | More by PBRstreetgang
shbobdb

Indiana

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%

Meh. I had high hopes for this beer, I really did. However, what I found was a product that could have been produced by Avery. That's no knock 'ta' Avery, they make mighty-fine alco-bombs but . . . I expected more from this brew.
How did it look? Fantastic! Truly one of the best looking beers I have even seen! A nice, light amber colour with tiny, delicate little bubbles flowing into a rock-like head. The head! Now there was something to behold! That was worth the price of entry, solid, dynamic, beautiful. Niiice.
But then we get onto the smell. This was a victory beer for me, so I drank it in a stall after a final. Not the best arena to guage the smell of a beer, so I gave it an 'average;
The taste . . . soak a good piece of nice, german bread in some good vodka, carbonate, and there you have it. Sure, there is a noticable hop nose that affects the flavour, but, not enough. Bready, yeasty, and above all else, boozy. Not pleasant, the booze dominates.
The mouthfeel is pleasantly bubbly, with just enough body to make one quite happy. The head helps here as well.

Overall: Not a beer I'd repeat. Totally disappointing, 100% forgettable to everything except my pocketbook. If I want a booze bomb, well, I suppose its all-right, but, that's what distilled alcohol is for . .

12-13-2005 16:39:35 | More by shbobdb
ThaCreep

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%

Fresh aromas and bitter Saaz hops. The mouth is very powerful and contrary to what one thinks, this is not the hop that brings that strength but alcohol, which is not really a good thing. The hop feel, of course, a slightly spicy, but it is overwhelmed by an alcohol too pervasive, mixed grain hereby makes the beer a little too heavy. Little aftertaste of almonds and finishing a warm mouth, almost suffocating. Damage to the power hop, that is, it must be said, almost absent.

09-16-2011 18:10:30 | More by ThaCreep
JohnnyDuvel

2.68/5  rDev -34%

I like most Belgian beers. This is not one of them. Flat, strange tasting beer. Plenty of alcohol, which is well hidden. It just has a weird taste that I can't describe. There are so many great beers of this style, don't bother with this. Even the Bier du bouccanier (if fresh) blows this away.

08-06-2004 03:30:53 | More by JohnnyDuvel
dqrull

Sweden

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a pale amber with a crisp, airy white head that sticks nicely to the glass and leaves lots of fine lacing.

Alot of yeast and white bread in the nose, slight fruity notes, a bit sickish, dont like it.

Taste is pretty much the same as the nose, but the sickish taste grows in the mouth and isnt very pleasant at all, a zesty fruitiness makes up for it a little though.

Feels alright and light in the mouth, okay carbonation but nothing special.

12-30-2009 21:54:07 | More by dqrull
Steve188821

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

This beer pours a golden colour with a large fluffy head. the smell is of spiced yeast and fresh fruit. Alcohol is dominant in the taste, esters are also present as well as a hint of grass. The mouthfeel is too aggresive for me, far too gassy making this beer undrinkable for me.

03-12-2007 22:42:02 | More by Steve188821
RocketWidget

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My good friend CharThePirate is going to be disappointed with me, but this Ale just didn’t cut it for me.

Pours a dark yellow color, with good off white head retention. Appearance is the best part of this beer. Smell is hope like and slightly sour. Taste is disappointing. Alcohol is a dominant factor in the taste here, and not in a good way. Other high alcohol beers blend the alcohol taste with the sweetness of the malt and balance with hops. The taste of this beer is liqueur-like, with the sweetness of the malt only having a subtle impact. Slight hops. Aftertaste is of whiskey, or ironically enough rum. This beer just isn’t right for me.

07-29-2004 22:20:31 | More by RocketWidget
haazer

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Huge frothy white head, with noticeable air pockets leading down to the brew itself. Once the head calms down, the brew reveals to be an orange/bronze color. A bit murky, and carbed to the hilt. Patches of lace all over the glass.

S- Strong floral notes, but most of hop presence faded. Some honey, and a strong candy belgian yeast. Good pale malt backing. A bit of esthers and some booze. A bit of carmel on the backend of the nose.

T- Sweet candy sugar flavor upfront, leading into a belgian influenced yeast. There is some carmel apple, and a good amount of bitterness to this yet. After those flavors it does take a turn for the worse and becomes quite boozy.

M- Alcohol induced burn. But body of the brew is medium, and suprisingly smooth for all the carbonation that was evident.

O- I don't know why I expected more from this BIPA, I keep reviewing this style that I clearly don't enjoy. The only exceptions being Belgian Monk and I did like Tramp Stamp. This one could tone down the booze a bit and probably receive a better rating from me.

08-03-2012 20:50:52 | More by haazer
charlesw

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

Pale orange/amber. Pretty clear. Pretty high white head. Lots of little bubbles, lots of bigger one. Lasts a bit longer than usual. Please darken the color.

Smells of caramel malts and orange peel extract and corriander. Maybe this bottle isn't very fresh?

Smacks-you-in-the-face astringent. Holy cow! It's like a Belgian on steroids, or something! Awfully bitter aftertaste. Lots of corriander, orange peel, banana, bits of clove, super zingy on the front of the tongue and still way bitter.

Zippy on the mouth like you'd expect.

I'm not a fan of this one and won't finish the bottle. Funny thing, but 'mericans seem to hit Belgian styles a lot better than Belgians hit 'merican styles. Know what I mean?

08-17-2009 20:18:58 | More by charlesw
tone77

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a small head. Smell is of fruits and alcohol. Taste is of overpowering alcohol with just a touch of sweetness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is definatly not a session drinking beer. Overall I found this to be a mediocre offering.

03-09-2010 14:26:49 | More by tone77
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Light yellow amber with a thin off white head. Carbonation is light. Smells of cereal, light caramel, a hint of citrus and booze. Taste/MF are slightly acidic, well hopped, very dry, and strongly alcoholic. Mild corn flavors are also present. I find the citric acid to be a bit much in this beer because it isn’t balanced by any strongly pleasant citrus flavors. Finishes sweet and thick. Body is full. Drinkability is low.

03-27-2006 21:08:50 | More by DaPeculierDane
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Ugh, pours a dank yellow, lots of little bubbles, minimal head.

Smell, alcohol blast, some fruity essence.

Taste, no hop character, alcohol dominates, probably some typical apple, pear flavors, tastes like someone dropped some diluted pucker into some vodka. Thin, yet strong.

Mouthfeel, alcohol dominates again, throughout. Not very drinkable.

01-06-2010 21:17:12 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Naerhu

Japan

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

How is this an amber triple ipa?
Ingredients on label read: malt, hops, sugar, and orange peel.

Appearance: Pure while sticky head. Semi-hazy yellow body with carbonation apparent.
Aroma: Huge yeasty aroma fills the room (very small room) upon opening. An abundance of soft malt on the nose.
Taste: An explosion of weird flavors. Sweet and bitter. Yeasty and malty. Floral hops and huge alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Syrupy alcoholy mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Far to sweet to be an IPA and far too weird to be pleasant.

03-02-2005 11:27:14 | More by Naerhu
OatherS

Kansas

Presentation: Short stuby bottle with pirate on front.

Smell: Strong, interesting, difficult to pin point and describe.

Appearance: Pours golden translucent. Short lived head..

Taste: Strong alcoholy flavor. No decernable aftertaste. Does not really have a distinct flavor. Somewhat sweet.

I personally am not bowled over by the beer.

03-31-2005 02:15:19 | More by OatherS
pwoods

11.2oz. stubby 'Duvel' style brown bottle. Purchased at Party Source, poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a nice glowing blood orange color with plenty of haze. Maybe 1 finger of white head forms and falls to a thick skim within a minute or 2. Some decent lacing.

S: Smells like a Barleywine and Old Ale combo. Strong, prefumy hops with a heavy alcohol line. Rich, thick malts. Super sweet and rummy. Dark fruits.

T/M: A good dose of bitterness with plenty of yeasty esters mixed in and lingering carbonation on the tongue. Just a touch of citrus in the form of lime. Alcohol seems just a bit out of control. Thick, syrupy malts, dark fruits, very Old Ale malt side.

D: Not terrible but it took me a bit to finish it. Alcohol holds this back quite a bit.

04-25-2008 21:06:30 | More by pwoods
Piraat Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.