Piraat Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Piraat AlePiraat Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

A robustly bitter strong Belgian pale ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Piraat Ale Alström Bros
Gavini

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

07-09-2013 09:54:57 | More by JesseMurdock
Photo of

1.78/5  rDev -56.3%

Poured a dark gold/copper color with quite a bit of haze. Head settled quickly. Smell was at first malt, then rubbing alcohol. Taste was about the same, some sweetness on the front, followed by a blast of alcohol. As I struggled through the glass, I seemed to also get a grassy aftertaste. My final thought was that the beer left me feeling like I had gargled with alcohol. It seemed to improve a little bit as it warmed (taste mellowed), but it's also possible that my tastebuds were just pummeled into senselessness. Mouthfeel was OK (I think). Drinkability - well I didn't pour it out, but I am not happy that I have a second one. Are you beginning to get the idea I didn't like this beer? Looking at the other reviews, I may have gotten a skunked beer. Since I have a second, I will, as a service to beerkind, try it again.

06-09-2006 13:32:07 | More by
stcules

Italy

1.9/5  rDev -53.3%

Golden color, almost amber. White foam, compact, not bad.
The smell: not bad in itself, with flowers and fresh fruitiness, but the problem is the alcohol, a lot. Absolutely too strong. Honey, perhaps? Anyway, unbalanced.
In the taste too, again fruity (pear), the alcohol is too strong. Absolutely unbalanced. 10.5 ABV. All perceptible.
Scarce drinkability, too much alcohol.

01-31-2006 19:32:18 | More by stcules

South Carolina

12-10-2013 00:01:40 | More by Alex5
magictrokini

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

Awful. Pours clear gold with a fizzy white head. Orange peel, spice, and malt in the aroma. Taste was a metallic straw flavor with some malt and spice. A dirt-like finish. Judging by the other ratings, I may have got a bad one. But the one I got does not make me want to find out for sure.

12-05-2008 21:46:37 | More by magictrokini
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

A deep orange gold in colour, quite clear, with just a thin off white head. Seems a bit lifeless to the eye.

Funky aroma that comes of as a mix of liquor, butter and flowers to my nose. Really isn't making me excited to drink.

There is a sugary, honey sweetness to the front of the tongue followed by a dry flowery, liquor touched finish. I'd like to be more descriptive here, but it just isn't to my liking.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and it doesn't seem to have the carbonation I expect from a belgian brew.

Perhaps this was an off bottle? This really disappointed, I had a tough time finishing.

01-16-2009 02:02:42 | More by elricorico
user785335

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

11-03-2013 17:24:21 | More by user785335
Stimack

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

After seeing this brew for years I thought I would give it a try. I am not sure if it was the bottle that I had or what but I think that this was a very tough drink, just did not set right with me for some reason. It was poured to a somewhat hazy colored yellow with a smallish white hard that broke down quite quickly bur did leave a trace of lacing at the top of the glass. The aroma’s seemed to be complex, which really intrigued me, had fruit like lemon, spices, and a sweet property. So with the aroma, I was really thinking that this was going to be one of my great beers but the taste seemed to hold something that was very tough to take in. Upfront the taste was good with a sweet property and some spices piping through but then at the tail end I got this rough taste that I would imagine would be a mix hop and alcohol that was tough to finish. From the way it looks I am in the minority here but I felt that this brew was extremely tough to drink, and overall not very good. Again, it I am in the minority here so take this review with a grain of salt. Will I try it again, yeah will do that because this review is based on a single experience. Will update the review if I have a different perspective.

01-15-2007 14:46:06 | More by Stimack
hyland24

2.33/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass with a patch on me eye and a dead parrot on me shoulder. Poured a slightly hazy gold with a ridiculous 4 inch thick head that me dead parrot was actually able to sit on. After 20 minutes of starin at that head with me one good eye I decided she wasnt goin nowhere so I better get to drinkin. The taste was dry and way too sweet almost like drinking a wine. Warm alcohol finish with a sticky sweet mouthcoat. Way too sweet for a beer. I'd rather walk the plank than drink this swill again. Shiver me timbers this shit sucked.

04-23-2008 06:11:45 | More by hyland24
Bighuge

2.4/5  rDev -41%

This beer is clear golden. Streams of CO2 surface at a nice clip. The head is fluffy and airy and eggshell colored. Retention is very good. Aroma is of must, lime peel, dough and yeast. Mouthfeel is too gaseous. Makes me burp too much. And it's hard to swallow. The flavors really do not do much for me. Harsh citric tones of lime and lemon. Very little yeast or dough contributions. And there's a husky astringency to it as well. Not a beer I'd buy again.

02-11-2004 05:50:28 | More by Bighuge
travolta

2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance:
Large pillowy head with minimal retention. Head swirls back up easily. Lightly hazy orange in color. Mild lacing.

Nose:
Malt, candied fruit, slight alcohol at the end.

Taste:
Mixed between mild hops and malt at first. Alcohol sweeps in and changes everything. Malt and mild hops tries to linger through the alcohol.

Notes:
Nothing exceptional fights the alcohol in this ale. The alcohol is overpowering with no reward, minus the obvious.

11-04-2007 02:18:07 | More by travolta
RBassSFHOPit2ME

01-21-2014 03:02:21 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
3nlightenedfool

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

I paid $13 U.S. (Oct. 2011) for this. I got it based on it's rating on this website. This was a weird beer. At first I told myself that I would like this beer no matter what because "I am a beer connoisseur and I can appreciate anything truly unique and interesting"....I was wrong.

This beer was uncomfortable. It was way too carbonated, which was the strangest part of it. It fizzled in my mouth and this made it hard to swallow. If I tried to just get it down it made me gassy before the next sip and I just couldn't bring myself to keep going. As for the taste, I found it obnoxious. It wasn't an IPA and it wasn't a double anything. The malts were just weird and the hops took a vacation to visit better breweries.

To give a point of reference...Chimay Blue/Grand Reserve. If Chimay was a perfect 5 (which is close to the truth) this beer would define the bottom end of the style...1/5. But since this beer exists in a world with Bud Light, it obviously deserves more than a ZERO score.

The truth/bottom line....I didn't finish my bomber...I tried, but it went down the sink.

10-11-2011 23:10:15 | More by 3nlightenedfool
JackRB

01-14-2013 01:46:36 | More by JackRB
Piraat Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.