Piraat - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Piraat
No picture uploaded.

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001

A robustly bitter strong Belgian pale ale.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Piraat Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance:
Large pillowy head with minimal retention. Head swirls back up easily. Lightly hazy orange in color. Mild lacing.

Nose:
Malt, candied fruit, slight alcohol at the end.

Taste:
Mixed between mild hops and malt at first. Alcohol sweeps in and changes everything. Malt and mild hops tries to linger through the alcohol.

Notes:
Nothing exceptional fights the alcohol in this ale. The alcohol is overpowering with no reward, minus the obvious.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

I paid $13 U.S. (Oct. 2011) for this. I got it based on it's rating on this website. This was a weird beer. At first I told myself that I would like this beer no matter what because "I am a beer connoisseur and I can appreciate anything truly unique and interesting"....I was wrong.

This beer was uncomfortable. It was way too carbonated, which was the strangest part of it. It fizzled in my mouth and this made it hard to swallow. If I tried to just get it down it made me gassy before the next sip and I just couldn't bring myself to keep going. As for the taste, I found it obnoxious. It wasn't an IPA and it wasn't a double anything. The malts were just weird and the hops took a vacation to visit better breweries.

To give a point of reference...Chimay Blue/Grand Reserve. If Chimay was a perfect 5 (which is close to the truth) this beer would define the bottom end of the style...1/5. But since this beer exists in a world with Bud Light, it obviously deserves more than a ZERO score.

The truth/bottom line....I didn't finish my bomber...I tried, but it went down the sink.

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a clear golden hue before the yeast pour, with a massive snow-white head that leaps out of the glass- just to let you know its Belgian. The typical stubborn head that comes with the style is here- one that forces you to wait; and admire the rocky billows of foam that slowly sink to reveal magnificent spiderweb lacing and active carbonation. The high carbonation releases effervescent aromas of candy-sugar, slightly buiscuity pils malt, and mild Saaz hops. The nose seems much more subdued than appropriate, and pales in comparison to the appearance or taste. First sip is light beet sugar and sharp pils. Some faint toasted notes and Trappist phenols similiar to Tripel become more obvious in the aftertaste, but the character is almost entirely devoted to bitterness. There is little to no hop flavor aside from a background spicy saaz and mabye a hint of floral Hallertau- but even the bitterness is lacking to balance the syrupy sweet malt and sugar. Of course this style is open to interpretation but Piraat is more sweet than bitter and has very litle hop presence(and yes- I am drinking the IPA Piraat). The medium body is made ultra light due to the knife-like carbonation that also whisks away some of the residual sweetness but further masks the timid noble hop character. Finishes sweet with mellow yet tart phenols, a bland and flat bitterness, and rosey alcohol notes as it warms. The phenols are interesting but other than that this seems to be a fairly simple beer and poor example of the style. This would score better as a hoppy BSGA.

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one pours an amber color with a large head that dies off into a rocky shape and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was a little grassy and hoppy with some sweet fruits. The taste is very strong and is composed of peppery spices and some sweetness. The flavor seems a little too aggressive for my tastes compared to the others by this brewer. Not smooth enough to thoroughly enjoy.

2.55/5  rDev -37.3%

Meh. I had high hopes for this beer, I really did. However, what I found was a product that could have been produced by Avery. That's no knock 'ta' Avery, they make mighty-fine alco-bombs but . . . I expected more from this brew.
How did it look? Fantastic! Truly one of the best looking beers I have even seen! A nice, light amber colour with tiny, delicate little bubbles flowing into a rock-like head. The head! Now there was something to behold! That was worth the price of entry, solid, dynamic, beautiful. Niiice.
But then we get onto the smell. This was a victory beer for me, so I drank it in a stall after a final. Not the best arena to guage the smell of a beer, so I gave it an 'average;
The taste . . . soak a good piece of nice, german bread in some good vodka, carbonate, and there you have it. Sure, there is a noticable hop nose that affects the flavour, but, not enough. Bready, yeasty, and above all else, boozy. Not pleasant, the booze dominates.
The mouthfeel is pleasantly bubbly, with just enough body to make one quite happy. The head helps here as well.

Overall: Not a beer I'd repeat. Totally disappointing, 100% forgettable to everything except my pocketbook. If I want a booze bomb, well, I suppose its all-right, but, that's what distilled alcohol is for . .

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%

Fresh aromas and bitter Saaz hops. The mouth is very powerful and contrary to what one thinks, this is not the hop that brings that strength but alcohol, which is not really a good thing. The hop feel, of course, a slightly spicy, but it is overwhelmed by an alcohol too pervasive, mixed grain hereby makes the beer a little too heavy. Little aftertaste of almonds and finishing a warm mouth, almost suffocating. Damage to the power hop, that is, it must be said, almost absent.

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

I like most Belgian beers. This is not one of them. Flat, strange tasting beer. Plenty of alcohol, which is well hidden. It just has a weird taste that I can't describe. There are so many great beers of this style, don't bother with this. Even the Bier du bouccanier (if fresh) blows this away.

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a pale amber with a crisp, airy white head that sticks nicely to the glass and leaves lots of fine lacing.

Alot of yeast and white bread in the nose, slight fruity notes, a bit sickish, dont like it.

Taste is pretty much the same as the nose, but the sickish taste grows in the mouth and isnt very pleasant at all, a zesty fruitiness makes up for it a little though.

Feels alright and light in the mouth, okay carbonation but nothing special.

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

This beer pours a golden colour with a large fluffy head. the smell is of spiced yeast and fresh fruit. Alcohol is dominant in the taste, esters are also present as well as a hint of grass. The mouthfeel is too aggresive for me, far too gassy making this beer undrinkable for me.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Huge frothy white head, with noticeable air pockets leading down to the brew itself. Once the head calms down, the brew reveals to be an orange/bronze color. A bit murky, and carbed to the hilt. Patches of lace all over the glass.

S- Strong floral notes, but most of hop presence faded. Some honey, and a strong candy belgian yeast. Good pale malt backing. A bit of esthers and some booze. A bit of carmel on the backend of the nose.

T- Sweet candy sugar flavor upfront, leading into a belgian influenced yeast. There is some carmel apple, and a good amount of bitterness to this yet. After those flavors it does take a turn for the worse and becomes quite boozy.

M- Alcohol induced burn. But body of the brew is medium, and suprisingly smooth for all the carbonation that was evident.

O- I don't know why I expected more from this BIPA, I keep reviewing this style that I clearly don't enjoy. The only exceptions being Belgian Monk and I did like Tramp Stamp. This one could tone down the booze a bit and probably receive a better rating from me.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My good friend CharThePirate is going to be disappointed with me, but this Ale just didn’t cut it for me.

Pours a dark yellow color, with good off white head retention. Appearance is the best part of this beer. Smell is hope like and slightly sour. Taste is disappointing. Alcohol is a dominant factor in the taste here, and not in a good way. Other high alcohol beers blend the alcohol taste with the sweetness of the malt and balance with hops. The taste of this beer is liqueur-like, with the sweetness of the malt only having a subtle impact. Slight hops. Aftertaste is of whiskey, or ironically enough rum. This beer just isn’t right for me.

2.85/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a small head. Smell is of fruits and alcohol. Taste is of overpowering alcohol with just a touch of sweetness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is definatly not a session drinking beer. Overall I found this to be a mediocre offering.

2.85/5  rDev -30%

Pale orange/amber. Pretty clear. Pretty high white head. Lots of little bubbles, lots of bigger one. Lasts a bit longer than usual. Please darken the color.

Smells of caramel malts and orange peel extract and corriander. Maybe this bottle isn't very fresh?

Smacks-you-in-the-face astringent. Holy cow! It's like a Belgian on steroids, or something! Awfully bitter aftertaste. Lots of corriander, orange peel, banana, bits of clove, super zingy on the front of the tongue and still way bitter.

Zippy on the mouth like you'd expect.

I'm not a fan of this one and won't finish the bottle. Funny thing, but 'mericans seem to hit Belgian styles a lot better than Belgians hit 'merican styles. Know what I mean?

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Light yellow amber with a thin off white head. Carbonation is light. Smells of cereal, light caramel, a hint of citrus and booze. Taste/MF are slightly acidic, well hopped, very dry, and strongly alcoholic. Mild corn flavors are also present. I find the citric acid to be a bit much in this beer because it isn’t balanced by any strongly pleasant citrus flavors. Finishes sweet and thick. Body is full. Drinkability is low.

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.