1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Piraat - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

PiraatPiraat

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

A robustly bitter strong Belgian pale ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Piraat Alström Bros

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle (03JM):
Pours a cloudy orange yellow, with a large amount of head on a fairly aggressive pour. The head was larger, soapy on initial pour, but reduced to fluffy off white head that remained thickly on the surface, also providing a ton of lacing. The nose is a bit candy-like in one respect. Sweet notes of honey and caramel pair with a faint waft of grapefruit (I think) to counter it slightly to produce a fairly unique scent. Beyond that are some classic Belgian notes, including some funk, some hay, and some saison-like dry notes. I also get a strange light neutral smoke note, though I have no idea why,.

The taste follows the nose pretty well, except the Belgian notes are a bit stronger in the taste, making it overall a bit less sweet. The specific taste that I get is that the grass/hay flavors are more prevalent than I noticed in the smell. I can take the malt profile in the nose, but the flavor is just slightly off-putting to me in this taste. The body is maybe a little fuller than medium, with a decent amount of carbonation adding some bite.

I think I might have rated this slightly higher (3.85 or 3.9) if I did precise (and based on previous experiences with the beer). This particular taste I rated down the taste because it didn't sit as well with me as it has in the past (I wavered b/t 3.5 and 3.75). Will continue to grab this occasionally, as I feel I do still enjoy it.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.