Piraat Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Piraat AlePiraat Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

A robustly bitter strong Belgian pale ale.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Piraat Ale Alström Bros
2.53/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one pours an amber color with a large head that dies off into a rocky shape and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was a little grassy and hoppy with some sweet fruits. The taste is very strong and is composed of peppery spices and some sweetness. The flavor seems a little too aggressive for my tastes compared to the others by this brewer. Not smooth enough to thoroughly enjoy.

clvand0, Sep 26, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled in my trusty Duvel tulip. Stubby 33 cL bottle with a picture of a pirate who looks like he's into disco on the label. Where's the stubble? The scarring? The eyepatch? Must be the cabin boy...

Appearance: Cloudy dark golden liquid with a small white head. Poor retention for a Belgian beer. Very little in the way of lacing.

Smell: Sour medicinal smell with a good wallop of pepper. Faint herby hops.

Taste: Tart and peppery slap with a sweet medicinal backing. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with alcoholic warming. The taste of booze is masked, though.

Drinkability: I got this as a belated yen from Talk Like A Pirate Day. Wish I had had it then. It's not a bad drink. It's got some character and is worth giving a shot. A nice average BSPA.

ManekiNeko, Sep 26, 2003

Copper gold color, large head. Aggressively hoppy and spicy. Strong malt flavor, Added cane sugar evident. Complex taste. Interesting amalgam of flavors; sweetness, tartness, almond nuttyness. Mouthfeel is full and expansive, creamy. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, some alcohol bite at 10.5%. Interesting beer. A warming afterglow, taste smoothes with time.

beerguy101, Sep 15, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

750ml bottle
Appearance:. Golden-amber color, translucent with small carbonation, and a large rocky head that diminishes to a thin layer.

Smell: The aroma is earthy, with fruity, tropical (bubblegum) overtones and hints of apples.

Taste: The taste is sweet, somewhat syrupy and piney, with a strong presence of alcohol, and a dry peppery (hop bite finish lingers for quite a while).

Mouth Feel: The feel is rich and full bodied: creamy, and effervescent with a hoppy-peppery finish.

IMHO: An enjoyable brew, but its intensity overwhelms the drinkability and it is lacking in a well-balanced character. Somewhat two-dimensional: a very sweet start and a very dry finish.

SeanChouffe, Sep 08, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

This one turned me into a piraat last night and I almost got in trouble. I hope my girlfriend lets me drink it again.

It has a golden, hazy color with some suspended sediment. (Drink it in the shade) The head is frothy white and isn't going anywhere. It stays around throwing its smell right up your nose. Good lacing all the way to the bottom.

It's loaded with aroma. Its got a great grassy hoplike aroma and the alcohol and and spice come through in it as well.

Its got a crisp Hop bite with a sweet flavor. Sort of spicy, and an excellent aftertaste. As it warms a bit, the prevailancy of the sweeter flavors come out more. I would have to say its a medium to full-bodied beer with a thick finish. Definately a must try and then try it again just to make sure

Brian700, Aug 31, 2003
4.03/5  rDev -1%

This beer's appearance is totally awesome. Rich, thick, billowy, creamy plumes of white froth top this little beauty. The head lasts all the way to the bottom and laces in a way not often seen in many beers. The foam imparts a very sweet flavor followed by the deliciousness of the amber-hued body. The flavor is indeed complex giving the impression of many different foods. In there are raisins and plums, a little spice, some herbal hops and fruit from the vine. Unbelievably, late in the glass the smell of pure honey begins to emerge and mask the malty goodness. Truly a lovely feel and great drinkability. Complex...

AtLagerHeads, Aug 23, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

This is definately a solid 4.0er+. It's got a beautiful rich head that lasted forever! That is one of my biggest things. It's gotta have a good head to even begin to get somewhere with me. Here it is like 15 minutes after I poured it and the head still thick and frothy. I guess the only bad thing about the appearance is the fruity looking "pirate" on the bottle, with a viking ship. What's up with that? Oh well, guess you can't have everything. The taste was a nice complexion of various fruits, ie citrus and grapes, mixed with maltiness. It also had to presence of alcohol, but i dig that. The smell was similar, but still had the alchololiness to it. It's cheap, so i think I could drink this some more! Arrr, shiver me timbers!!!

JISurfer, Aug 10, 2003
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

This is a beer I've been wanting to try for some time and I am not let down in the least..

It pours a regal looking gold...looks rich in the glass...cloudy....small bubbly white head on top....the nose is very sweet...Like sweet tropical fruits and sugars....very fresh smelling too...the body is medium and is very charged up....a huge amount of carbonation which seems ot balance the sweetness of this beer nicely...

A pretty complex flavor...at first the tropical fruit and sugar sweetness is dominant....then a spicy, herbal wave rides in..some of the spiciness comes from the alcohol but not entirely.....and then on the long finish there is a hint of hops trying to emerge but then the alcohol slams the door shut and closes the deal.....

I think this is a very good Triple...the more you drink it the more evident the 10.5 % alcohol becomes....It is sweet but the carbonation and the alcohol slice it down nicely...

A top tier triple in my book...

ZAP, Aug 07, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

330 ml bottle

Poured out a golden wheat like color. Smell is malty with a touch of yeast overtone. Taste is complex, with the fruity hints melding with clove and honey. A little hop kick in the end. Quite drinkable despite the ABV. One of the best triples I've tasted to date. Just delicious!!

euskera, Aug 02, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -12%

11.2 oz bottle

A quality ale. It pours a slightly unclear gold. Very nice creamy head with great lacing. Tons of carbonation can be seen heading to the top of the glass. The scent is a heavy grass with yeast and sweet malt. There is some fruit but it is mild and the carbonation also hits the nose.

The flavors are tangy. A sweet carmel malt flavor and a wheat grassy taste as well. There is a clove flavor in the middle of the taste just before the swallow. It has a hop finish. The high alcohol is distinctive but trying to hide. It feels heavy in the mouth and has an unappealing aftertaste that happily diminishes.

It drinks pretty well but I do not think I would not want to drink more than one at a session. If just feels a bit heavy even though it looks light.

Rumrunner, Jul 25, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This Belgian ale poured a hazy, orange-amber color with white foam that clung to the glass and left lace. The smell was sweet and malty, with candy sugar, citrus, and hints of fruit flavors. The taste was slightly sweet and malty (with the characteristic Belgian ale tangy flavor). There were also hints of fruit: figs and raisins. The mouthfeel was smooth and airy on the tongue. The body was medium and the carbonation feel low. The finish and aftertaste were slightyl hoppy. This was a very nice and drinkable strong ale (deceptively easy to drink).

UncleJimbo, Jul 20, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured a hazy, dark-orange, with a large creamy-white head. Smells of yeast and alcohol, and clove(?). Bubbly on the tongue, yet explosive and chewy as it hits the back of the mouth. Great mouthfeel. Taste starts with noticeable alcohol. Corn-syrupy-sugar-sweet, raisins, caramel in the middle. Sweetness balanced by a strong, lingering bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very present and not well hidden. I drank all 11.2 oz, but one's enough for me!

alexgash, Jul 08, 2003
3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

This brew pours a large head of fine and medium sized white bubbles with a cloudy dark yellow body. Its aroma is very mild indeed buit from what I could smell of it nice in a malty banana way. The flavor is powerful and well backed by its 10,5% ABV. It has acomplex flavor that includes nots of bread, citrous, spice, malt and maybe a few other things. It doesn't take long for the alcohol to hit you either. This is a powerful complex brew.

TheDM, Jun 21, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured a medium off-white creamy head with fine-small bubbles. This brew had a clove aroma to it. The body was cloudy and it was golden in hue with some carbonation observed. I can definitely taste the alcohol in this brew. Wow! The lacing was fair on the sides of my glass. There is a strong bitter taste that lingers with this brew. This is definitely a brew to be sipped and not guzzled unless you are looking for a good buzz!!

hotstuff, Jun 20, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Like the label. Did the pirates drink this? It would have made them very happy! 10.5% goes along way!

Pours nicely, medium golden clear yellow. No cloudiness unless you swirl the very last bit. Very clean smelling. Somewhat tart apple or grape. Can also smell the alchohol. I drank this fairly warm. Taste also had some good fruit taste backed by some malt. Not quite a tripel. Warm to the tummy. Mouthfeel was numbing and oily. I have had this before and will have again. Very tasty beer, but I prefer Duvel(for the type).

daledeee, May 31, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Nice looking beer - faded amber in color, 30% head in off white. Lace was not as rich as I expected. As far as drinking, I've got to say that the feel of the beer was better than it's taste, and that knocked the drinkability down. Not sure I would buy it again.

BillSempf, May 25, 2003
3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

I truly love Belgian Tripels. They are incredible beers. I love the style, I love the uniqueness, I love everything about them (except, perhaps, the price). I though I'd never find a Tripel I didn't like. Well... I stand corrected.

First pour shows a gorgeous beer in the classic Tripel style. Fabulous golden honey body with amber and orange highlights, noticable floaters and a thick and rocky head.

Then... the aroma. What can I say - the first thing I thought was "dirty socks." The second was "funky over-ripe cheese." The smell is just - wrong to me. And damn is that smell strong. Yeah, I know it's the yeast, I know it's the style - just like I know that gorgonzola is supposed to smell like sweat socks aged in cheese. None the less... I don't find it appetizing to say the least.

First taste, well... to be honest on my first taste I simply couldn't get past the smell. So I then tried to taste it while holding my nose. When I did this - I found an interesting Tripel with a slightly thick and oily mouthfeel, solid fruits riding a good foundation of grains and an undercurrent of funky yeast - and culminating with strong vaporous alcohols. Tasting it while not holding my nose brought out the funky yeast flavors and made it nearly impossible to taste anything else other than the finishing alcohol heat.

Coulda been a contenda.

SamuraiJack, May 03, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a rather dark golden color. I didn't know quite what to make of this beer from the get go. It has a wacky looking label with really no description of the contents inside. So, naturally it was time for an adventure. Piraat overall is a very drinkable trippel that leans more towards the dark trippel side. My main complaints about it is that its 10.5% ABV is VERY apparent, lacking a real balance. Additionally, it is very malty, which if you like that sorta thing is fine. Many do not, however. I was not disappointed in my purchase, however.

ChrisBowers, Apr 12, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My aroma was a nice mix of lemon with phenol/clove spiciness. Big full head, active bubble action from the bottom. Some lacing. Mine was less cloudy than others have described. Rather bright gold color. Flavor is explosive and intense. Not for the faint of heart (as beer flavor goes). Taste of alcohol is present throughout and lingers. Good mix of flavors with malt, spices, some mild fruitiness and a shot of bitterness too. Intensity of the drink makes this a sipping beer, but a nice ale smoothness helps it go down more easily. Some mild carbonation action with the drink. I like this quite a bit, including the goofy picture on the bottle.

garymuchow, Apr 05, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Whoa...this was some powerful stuff. Upon opening this stubby little bottle the alcohol sneaks out from under the cap. Also is spicy and lemony. Poured a cloudy, opaque yellow with lots of chucky things floating around, yeast and grains are my guess. Gained a small fluffy white head with some divets and pock marks.
Taste is quite strong of alcohol, with a lemony/orange spice and a bit of a nutlike malt, very milky, grainy, pulpy in the feel with a smooth alcoholic bite that cleansed my head. Drink this bad boy pirate slowly.

tavernjef, Apr 04, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Pours a solid orange color with an ultra-thin off-white head. No lacing. Aroma is sweet spices, with a faint skunky presence here and there. Flavor is almost dominated by the alcohol, but there are nice malt and grapefruit flavors apparent as well. Overall not a bad experience but this beer isn't up there with some of the better Belgians I have had.

Dogbrick, Mar 31, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Did not know the abv when I drank this!

First thing I noticed even before the appearance was a flowery sweet smell. This led me to the taste, which to me was of a sweet, apricot like flavor. The color was a hazy hay-like yellow. Very tasty, but I probably shouldn't have too many of these in a row.

Would get again though! And I have had this in the past, first time reviewin'.

pat

PatandDavid, Mar 22, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

I had this on tap at Bj's Brewpub. It came in a 10.5 oz glass.

When this beer came, i did not know what to expect from it. The first thing i noticed was the aroma. How could I not? It was bursting with the smell of fruit and alcohol and cloves and spices. Very powerfull.

I lied. The first thing I noticed was the appearance. It was a cloudy orangish tan with little head on it.

The flavor was right there with the smell. Sweet, malty, tart, yeasty with an underlying taste of alcohol.

Overall, this was a good beer, though definatly not a session beer. I had it for desert and i would do so again.

elmocoso, Mar 09, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer is a rich golden color, and is topped by a thin white head. There is a slight haze to the beer as well. The aroma is light, with a bit of hops and maybe just a hint of citrus. The taste is mostly a malt sweetness, coupled with a strong alcohol note. There is a decent hops bittering in the finish, but this is all about sweet, fruity sweetness. The mouthfeel is very rich and smooth, and the drinkability is good. I was surprised to see this was an IPA. It is a very good beer that malt lovers will enjoy.

aaronh, Mar 01, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

First bottle in my valentine 6 pack sampler, was this offering. A pirate beer? Golden color with a good head, the hops were outstanding. It head a spice, perhaps cloves, that was odd at first, but grew on me as I continued drinking. Excellent beer, well worth it.

bewareOFpenguin, Feb 19, 2003
Piraat Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.