1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Augustijn Ale - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Augustijn AleAugustijn Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2002)
View: Beers (74) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Augustijn Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 465 | Reviews: 393 | Show All Ratings:
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.17/5  rDev -43.9%

11.2 oz into pint glass. $3.49, purchased @ Nikki's in PVD. No freshness info, but I think it just arrived.

A- Pale golden yellow, a bit hazy with a dull orange glow. Huge head, takes a while to settle and pour.

S- Coriander and fruity/floral sweetness. Faint.

T- Taste is muted, mild crisp apple sweetness and a bit like smarties.. medicinal, confectioner's sugar, pill bottle bitterness. Overripe papaya, out of place. Not what I was looking for.

M- Thin, watery, lacking depth or good yeast character. Low carbonation, it all blew out in the pour.

O- I was not impressed. Been getting some good tripels lately, but I won't buy this again. I only drank 1/3 of this and drainpoured the rest.

04-28-2011 02:34:05 | More by ShogoKawada
aerozeppl

2.23/5  rDev -42.4%

11.2 oz bottle.

A: Had to wait about 20 min for the head to die down as well as all the yeast to settle to the bottom of the glass. 3+ fingers of white head.

S: Smells almost like green bottles import funk. Not pleasant at all.

T: Very sours at first which is weird considering the style. Maybe this bottle is past it's prime. Stale bread. This one is not good.

M: Sort of half flat and bleh. Avoid.

D: Maybe I got a bad/old bottle but this is bad. I had to pour most of it out.

02-13-2008 22:40:15 | More by aerozeppl
Moxley

2.3/5  rDev -40.6%

A - Poured a cloudy golden orange with a short bubbly head that settled quickly

S - Lots of sweet malts and fruits.

T- Over-the-top carbonation and sweetness, with a spicy bite on the tongue. Reminiscent of champagne it's so heavily carbonated. A bit of a spicy hop bite on the finish with a strong alcohol presence, kind of like beer and peach schnapps...a little weird.

M&D - Clean, dry finish, again, very reminiscent of champagne, but sweet like a wine cooler. This beer didn't do it for me. It was just too sweet and bubbly. Glad to try it, but probably wouldn't have it again.

04-18-2008 01:07:38 | More by Moxley
deeplennon

Washington

2.42/5  rDev -37.5%

A very underwhelming beer from Van Steenberge.

Golden color, faint nose of some barley. Taste has some alcohol, some spice, a little sour, but all characteristics extremely muted. Mouthfeel is watery and aftertaste is metallic blech. Bland enough to be fairly easy to drink but too boring to make it worth the effort.

I often think it's a shame that their entire line (with one or two exceptions) of cut rate Belgians are so widely distributed in the U.S. when so many other worth beers are hard to find or don't make it over at all.

07-21-2007 23:27:08 | More by deeplennon
ILikeGoodCider

2.45/5  rDev -36.7%

Enjoyed on 06.27.09 from a typical stubby, short brown bottle (11.2oz). Poured into a 14.75 oz Chalice (Goblet).

A: Pours a soft honey, w/ a big rocky, raucous head that I poured well down the side until the VERY end of the pour - and thank God I did.

S: A complex whif, estery, yeasty, notes of brandy and barnyard funk (aka - yumminess - NOTE my pension for Saisons).

T: WAY to much carbs. Distractingly so. I only fridged this for two weeks from retail purchase, but due to no "born on" dating, I have to blame this on the bottling/brewey and/or distro. Initially the spicy estey notes, along with the "farm," are overpowering and its hard to nail anything else. Time is not helpful.

M: Lots of carbs. Dang it - I wish I had a better experience; I know, according to other reviewers that I respect, that this is a better beer than this - I can tell...

D: I could barely drink this bottle, but I suspect I got an age-old batch. There is a delicious beer behind this somewhere.

To quote myself: "I wish I had a better experience; I know, according to other reviewers that I respect, that this is a better beer than this - I can tell..."

06-27-2009 07:51:44 | More by ILikeGoodCider
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

Too sweet and carbonation prickly. Smoke and citrus and cloves did not work for me. Tart aftertaste. Can smell yeast and malt. This brewery does much better, and expected more from a triple - perhaps a bad batch. Colour OK and alcohol masked and hoppy.

12-09-2003 17:02:14 | More by Sammy
becktone

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

From notes 4-1-09

Done horizontally with Maredsous Tripel, Westmalle Tripel, and Kasteel Tripel.

Eye: This is by far the darkest and cloudiest of the group. It comes in at an actual cloudy light brown, maybe the color of wet oak. Head is stable at about 7/8 of a finger, the smallest head on the group.

Nose: So far this one is by far the fruitiest. Sweet green apple aroma with some malt aromas behind it and perhaps some candied aroma. All in all pretty straightforward and singleminded but in all the places where I'd rather it not be.

Tongue: That sweet apple is right upfront followed by some caramel flavor...and I'm not a fan of that at all, compared to the others this thing almost fails altogether. On its own it might be okay, but in the company of others it is cloying. I can tell you right now I'm not looking forward to drinking the rest of this one.

Feel and Drinkability: This is the higest carbonated of the group and it fits the beer well considering its carnival candied apple flavor. Body is medium-light and works well with the carbonation. This isn't one that I'll be drinking again. Well, I've a four pack to finish, but I highly doubt I look forward to finishing it. Thankfull the carbonation is as high as it is, and that its prickely and cleansing-scrubbing the palate. Were it not this beer might just be undrinkable.

05-17-2009 18:17:48 | More by becktone
clvand0

Kentucky

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer poured a golden color with a large bubbly head that died off quickly. The aroma was a little fruity, but yeast/wheat was the aroma that caught my attention the strongest. The flavor is very typical of a wheat beer with the added flavor of orange peels and maybe a little spicyness. I really didn't enjoy the taste of this beer for some reason. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for the style or something, but I thought the drinkability and mouthfeel were psub-par.

09-12-2003 19:08:13 | More by clvand0
ajayma

Maryland

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

LOOK. Clearish gold, the color of apple juice, with a dense, craggy head.

AROMA. A sweet raisiny smell is quickly replaced by whiff of copper.

BODY & TASTE. Full-bodied, out the gate with notes of raw grain, and bitter lemon drop. A firmly medicinally herbal hop character blooms in the middle, and continues in to the finish where it's joined by pale malt, yeast, and slightly leathery undertones.

AFTERMATH. Reminds me of Duvvel. An assertive mix of medicinal bitterness and booziness, without going overboard. Makes one want fondue or sharp cheddar cheese.

01-31-2010 01:44:40 | More by ajayma
dedrinker

Kansas

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

Slightly hazy golden color with a fuzzy white head.

Aromas of candy sugar and light malts with a dash of yeast.

Flavor is the same - kinda thin and sweet-ish with a yeasty bite.

sharp carbonation interferes with my ability to accurately gauge the body (which I thought seemed kind of medium to light) as well as making drinkability suffer.

I dumped.

12-20-2010 01:05:02 | More by dedrinker
Overlord

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours gold. Gigantic, huge, white foam explosion. ugh.

Smells like sweet yeast. Tastes like sweet yeast. One of the most straight-forwardly simple belgians I've ever had, let alone from a tripel. I mean, it's just a sweet, well carbonated brew.

Not much to say about it. Would not revisit.

06-02-2010 21:04:00 | More by Overlord
impending

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a nearly transparent butterscotch gold. Towering dense pure white head very slow to recede, excellent lacing.

Yeasty white bread aroma. Quietly floral and fruits with a hint of anise. All the notes of the scent are of high octaves.

The powdery yeast taste is so nondescript, little to describe. Slightly dry finish. Mild phenolic aftertaste, not its strength. Medium bodied creamy mouthfeel.

Rather undefined brew, the scent is nice but the flavor lacks definition.
cheers
jd

05-06-2011 04:43:31 | More by impending
bhitt

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Pale and golden, somewhat hazy with a mountain of foam reminiscent of Duvel.

Nose: Chalky yeast, some spice, and medicinal phenols. Very pleasant yeastiness, smooth.

Taste: Relatively one-dimensional with an extremely chalky yeast flavor. Phenols are not quite pleasant. Mouthfeel is a bit too prickly.

A fairly drinkable 8% as the phenols cover up the alcohol, try if you like chalky beers.

01-04-2007 01:03:48 | More by bhitt
mrasskicktastic

2.98/5  rDev -23%

A - A cloudy bronze color and carbonation bubbles vigorously. It has a two finger head that dissipates after few minutes but never fully dissappears. Splotchy lacing that doesn't last adorns the glass.

S - Cloves, malt, and a bit of apricot. Carbonation stands out as well.

T - A slightly sweet malt with a bit of cloves. It is bitterness that is very strong for the flavor. It really lingers after each sip.

M - The carbonation is overwhelming. It is thin and a bit refreshing, but the sharp carbonation stings the tongue. It starts to film in your mouth as well.

D - Well, it goes down easily, but the high carbonation hurts it all around. I imagine it wouldn't taste too bad with food. It is not terrible - just mediocre.

11-09-2005 03:44:59 | More by mrasskicktastic
Pleepleus

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Had this one with my friend and fellow BA member Moxley. Poured from a small brown bottle into a goblet. Had a cloudy apricot color with an inch of head that settled quickly to a one bubble(Charlie) sheen. Sweet flowery aroma and a Spicey sweet taste with late alcohol warmth. Carbonation is overpowering almost Champagne like. Crisp and sweet but bubbles overwhelm the flavors making it not enjoyable for me, won't be back for seconds on this one.

04-17-2008 19:16:28 | More by Pleepleus
cerveza5150

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

I'm not that used to Tripels, so consider that a caveat to this review.

Poured and looked pretty decent for its style, but the head was a little more 'soapy' than I would have liked. I was imagining something more creamy.

The smell was decent with hints of ripening fruits, raisins, and plums. A metallic twinge was present in the nose, probably due to the use of European hops.

The taste was good, but the way the CO2 hit my tongue and exploded in my mouth made it almost undrinkable. I rinsed my mouth out, tried it again, and the same thing happened. I didn't dig it at all! To be honest, this reminds me of some of the more unsavory malt liquors I've been unfortunate to sample.

Again, consider my review to be somewhat immature as I'm not accustomed to Belgian Tripels. Hopefully, the rest of this sampler pack will go down a little smoother.

02-18-2008 21:17:29 | More by cerveza5150
MONKandTUCK

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a La Trappe chalice... deep blonde bordering on orange. Density leaves an opaque body. Frothy white head, like it's been topped with whipped cream. No lacing.

A- under-whleming... that might be a good thing. I was expecting something more pungent. Some esters peak thru, a bit of lemon zest. Not much more, though certainly not what I consider appealing. It's not offensive, it just doesn't lure me in.

T- Frothiness, a hint of malt sweetness, lemon bite. The citrus character of this beer is quite distinct from that of ales utilizing classic American hop vairetals. This is a like pure lemon zest, rather than the juice of sweeter citrus fruits. It's more biting than refreshing.
Esters don't over pour the way they do in other Belgian beers, and I certainly don't taste the white pepper notes I'm used to, but the beer has a sour bite. It cuts through anything. This beer actually drinks much better with food; especially heavy or spicy food.

M - excellent. It's hard to believe this is 8%. It drinks more like the BMC junk you get at parties.... which makes me more grateful for the otherwise uninspiring flavor.

O- It drinks easy - especially on a Summer's day, and pairs well with food. And then it just gets to you... some beers I've found taste better with better familiarity. But this one becomes a chore.

While I'll never drink this one again, I think it's GREAT for what it is. Ideally, the worst beers would be this good. I like that it's affordable and comes in a smaller bottle. I think this is a great "gateway" into Belgian Ales. It's one-dimensional and drinkable, providing enough insight into what Belgian Ales are w/o becoming overbearing.
I wish this brewery would peel back a little on the intensity of the yeast, and make a Belgian IPA.... they have the perfect base for it!

07-12-2011 18:52:16 | More by MONKandTUCK
bobbyc881

South Carolina

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours out a cloudy yellow-orange with a substantial white head. Highly-carbonated. Aroma is sweet with hints of straw, cloves, and lemon.

Mouthfeel is rather prickly from the carbonation, somewhat distracting. Taste is slightly bready and a bit weak. On the dry side. This isn't doing it for me... the carbonation just doesn't allow the flavors to linger long enough.

Overall, sub-par. Overly carbonation and just not delivering on the flavors I've come to expect from good Trippels.

02-19-2008 03:06:13 | More by bobbyc881
JoeBCBC

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

11.2 ouce bottle into pint glass (wish I had something else!)
Got this from a variety case of Steenberge beers.

A- Cool image of a monk brewing beer on the front! Pours a hazy golden straw color with a very large head that is thick and doughy. Head subsides into soapy lace as you drink.

S- I have a stuffy nose, but from what I can smell i'm getting some ripe fruits, pungent Belgian yeast esters, and bready malt.

T- Mild and smooth flavor that is not too overpowering one way or another. Fruitiness comes out first with spicy cloves and malt in the finish. A pleasant tart aftertaste lingers on the tongue.

M- Even with a dramatic pour, this one is still highly carbed. I think it would be more enjoyable at a lower carbonation.

O- One of the easier to drink tripels i've had. Not a fan of the style, but ill try to come from style guidelines when I rate.

08-31-2011 02:15:51 | More by JoeBCBC
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

11.2 oz bottle > Chimay glass

This one is a deep and clear golden color with amber hues. Mellow and mild carbonation seems a bit strange, and a moderate but thin all-white head has quick dissipation which is a bit dissapointing to me.

The nose of the Tripel is a bit mundane, musty rice, summer-dried wheat, corn on the cobb maltiness...very lager-ish really.

The first thing I notice is it's big-time musty and earthiness. The yeast and hops really dominate the flavor spectrum, the malt is very light and rather thin, even for this style.The Malt has a adjunct flavor of freshly husked corn. Simple and thin flavor's abound from spicey, to herbal with a dry and sour German lager effect.

Although it has a crisp, light feel, the carbonation seems a bit lacking for this style which leaves a slick, cloying finish. Very dry in th back of the palate.

this is not one of favorite versions of this wonderful Belgian style.

12-17-2008 23:36:39 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
Gusler

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

The beer pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color, the head ethereal, white, the lace chunky, and long lasting. Nose is malt, citrus, clean and crisp. Front is ambrosial, the top slender, the finish caustic, the hops barely noticeable, droughty aftertaste, did not really find this beer as I hoped and subsequent samples has not changed my mind.

10-20-2002 08:05:06 | More by Gusler
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours with a frothy, initially three-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a clear, slightly orange tinged, copper color and even more so when held up to the light. Sweet and fruity smelling in the nose, but it has a certain note that seems a bit like over-ripe cheese or perhaps even moldy fruit. A touch spicy towards the finish as well, the nose also has some toasty grain character towards the end. The nose is not all that appetizing, though it is certainly interesting.

Lightly sweet, the beer is surprisingly light and airy. Fruit notes of pear, melon and maybe even a touch of kiwi are accentuated by both the light sweetness and even a touch of yeasty tartness. A bit spicy towards the finish, notes of light pepper morphs into a spicy, pickled ginger & clove note that lingers on the palate after each sip. The rancid cheese note is noticed only a touch up front in the flavor, but it is noticeable. This beer is really quite thin, I feel like it should be a bit more substantial, despite being a fan of light high gravity Belgian beers.

I just can't shake the analogy of bad cheddar, it is mostly an aromatic component but it definitely influences the flavor as well. This is just not working for me

Purchased: Plaza Liquors; Tucson AZ

02-02-2008 01:43:54 | More by Gueuzedude
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a cloudy amber, almost brown, huge white head, nice lacing and good retention. Smell is sweet, slightly sour, very citrusy and acidic, some yeast, bread. Taste is sweet up front, very acidic, apples and assorted citrus fruit, some yeast and a little alcohol in the finish, nice tartness but pretty bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation, really fizzy, mediocre.

11-21-2006 22:22:24 | More by Viggo
hwwty4

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured a 11.2 oz stubby into my Boulevard Tank 7 tulip. This beer pours a translucent golden wheat with a massive 3 inch, rocky cap that leaves lacing down the entirety of the glass. The lacing is so sticky it almost covers every square inch of the glass as the beer recedes. The aroma is fairly typical of Tripels. Orchard fruit reminiscent of apples and pears, sweet grains with just a inkling of booze. The flavor profile is a bit odd. I definitely get the typical pear, apple, grains, a bit of booze, but I swear there are some flavors that are typical of Hefe's. I definitely get clove, a bit of banana and some bready notes. Makes me wonder if this was fermented with some sort of mutant Hefe yeast. The mouthfeel is really thin. Definitely think that the body should be a little fuller. This is really a middle of the road Tripel. Nothing spectacular but nothing horrible. Definitely drinkable.

12-29-2009 02:26:29 | More by hwwty4
caddyshack199

Maryland

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Augustijn Ale
H-creamy head that retreats quickly
N-smells like bannana some what one dimentional.
T-orange peel followed by bannana. Soft fresh bread.
Impression- it's a good beer I've had much better in similar styles. 10.99 Bottle 750ml Staples Corner Liquors, Crofton Md

01-20-2010 01:47:16 | More by caddyshack199
Augustijn Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.