Cherish Kriek Lambic - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Cherish Kriek LambicCherish Kriek Lambic

good

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-22-2002)
chrispoint

02-20-2012 16:15:04 | More by chrispoint
paysse

Washington

1.1/5  rDev -69.5%

Pours a cherry-juice pinkish red with almost no head. Smells strongly of artificial cherry, very reminiscent of Jell-O. The taste is overwhelmingly sweet, simple, and cloying. The lack of yeast flavor, dryness, and the thick sugary mouthfeel make this much more like a syrup than a lambic.

A mild tartness is noticeable in the aftertaste, but that does not do much to help balance this beer. There is no parallel between Brouwerij Van Steenberge "Kriek Lambic" and a traditional kriek, and fans of Belgian lambics would do well to look elsewhere.

07-13-2009 21:52:41 | More by paysse
westcoastbeerlvr

1.75/5  rDev -51.5%

01-09-2013 16:44:10 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
chcfan

11-28-2011 16:11:12 | More by chcfan
largadeer

2.1/5  rDev -41.8%

8 oz bottle into a tumbler. Has a pinkish-red color, very clear, with a foamy pink head that sticks around for a few minutes and leaves plenty of lacing behind. No sediment in the bottle.

Smells extremely sweet and syrupy. Plenty of cough syrup cherry, but not much real fruit character. Has a little bit of a mulling spice quality about it, too.

Like the nose, this tastes extremely sweet, like cherry soda. There's a very mild sourness, but it's buried beneath the intense artificial sweetness. Has a bit of spiciness to it as well, and a light malt presence toward the finish. Very easy to drink assuming you can tolerate the sweetness; it really does drink like soda.

Overall, nothing particularly authentic or noteworthy about this, and the sweetness becomes very cloying after a while.

05-01-2011 07:53:37 | More by largadeer
mlazzaro

2.55/5  rDev -29.4%

On tap at the Gulu Gulu Bar in downtown Salem MA. USA.
Served on draft with proper glassware.

I love krieks, sours, and Belgian lambic funk; and this is just was not fulfilling in any of those categories. I wanted a desert beer, but this is sooo sweet.

Smells very sweet and cherry-like.

Taste lack that tartness/sour goodness/delicious funk that I was looking for. Really nothing to balance out the sweetness. It tasted like if you fermented cherry robitussin, this is probably the beverage you would end up with. Thick, syrupy, and unnatural tasting. Overly cherry to the point that I question if real cherries were even used in the brewing of this beer. Like cherry flavored candy, or cherry coca-cola. Not impressed.

I drank the whole thing, but not what I expected in a Belgian Kriek Lambic style. To each their own, I won't be ordering this one again.

07-11-2010 17:35:36 | More by mlazzaro
BearsOnAcid

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

I never heard of this lambic before so I ordered it on a whim that I might have found something good. It was kind of a let down though.

The color is a very bright cherry red with a white head. It smelled like red Jell-O. That basically turned me off from it right there. I was about to just pass it on to someone else at the table without even tasting it.

I took a sip and it was pretty sweet with a slightly tart finish to it that I liked a little. The Jell-O smell carried over into the taste as well. It really drank quite well for such a sweet lambic though. After I finished it, I didn't feel like I just guzzled a glass of grenadine.

It was okay to try for a sweet lambic but I wouldn't have it again.

11-29-2009 18:27:16 | More by BearsOnAcid
orbitalr0x

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

8.4oz bottle. Pours into my glass a clear deep blood red with a half inch of pink head on top that falls after a few minutes. Aromas start out with big sweet cherry juice, almost akin to opening a can of cherry pie filling and taking a big whiff. Underneath this there is a touch of wood, light grain and a hint of tartness. No real traditional lambic aromas present.

First sip brings a sweet cherry juice flavor upfront with notes of wheat grain malt as well. Again cherry pie filling comes to mind. It flows down with a mild tartness that hits on the back of the palate. Just a slight woody note as well. Ends with lingering cherry sweetness. Again, no resemblance to a lambic, this comes off as just a sweet cherry beer.

Mouthfeel is on the light side with a fast moving, punchy carbonation. Goes down easily enough, however the sweetness does get to be a bit cloying as the glass nears empty. Overall, I was a disappointed in this beer as it was not what I was expecting. Not something I'd buy again.

07-06-2008 22:39:40 | More by orbitalr0x
ejimhof

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

12-25-2012 18:22:01 | More by ejimhof
lpayette

Vermont

2.78/5  rDev -23%

Appearance- Pours a grapefruit ruby red with little head. Pale and a bit cloudy.

Smell- Somewhat fake smelling/overdone cherry. It's almost cough syrupy, but in a more appealing way. Smells like this is going to be both sweet and tart.

Taste- A bit tart up front. Bitter grapefruit mingles with the aggressive cherry flavors. Not very impressive to me.

Mouthfeel- Tartness... sweet, and then a bit of a bitterness which hangs around for a bit to dry off your tongue.

Drinkability- I thought this was simply OK. I will choose something else over this if I feel like having a Kriek next time. Worth a try though.

12-21-2006 23:29:34 | More by lpayette
musicforairports

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

8.4oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours solid red, clear. Tiny head and no lacing.

Smells like Luden's cherry cough drops, which I used to eat as delicious sweet cherry candy when I was little. Nothing else.

Taste is the same cherry, albeit more full and robust. Cherry flavor is sweet and ranges from overripe to fresh and sweet. Tartness and sourness are minimal.

Somewhat thick and sweet on the mouth, with lingering cherry flavors.

I've had a lot of lambics but not a lot of krieks, but I can tell you doubtlessly that this is a very sweet beer that lacks many lambic characteristics. It tastes like a dessert and not like a sour beer.

05-12-2011 03:32:44 | More by musicforairports
TheLongBeachBum

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Presentation: Small looking 8,4 fl.oz. brown glass bottle with a white crown cap. Brewed & bottled by Br. Van Steenberge and Imported by Globalbeer. The main black label has a provocative looking pair of cherries aside a goblet of the brew which has a white outline of a young pair of lovers kissing…..hmmm, I wonder who this brew is aimed at!? LOL. Labeled as “Cherish” and described as an “Authentic Belgian Kriek Lambic” on the top and a “Malt beverage brewed with cherries” on the bottom…..hmmm, something doesn’t match there right!? Only hint of a freshness date is a code “31 JB” on the back label, front label states this is 5% ABV.

Appearance: Ruddy brown body that had a raspberry flash but really looked like a dark orange when back lit. Lightly hazed with a big bubbly off-white head that soon fizzes away to leave a thin broken halo head. Minimal lacing.

Nose: Tart cherry nose, striking in its sharpness, yet it still retains a sweet back end. A little forced.

Taste: Rising sharp acidic cherry skin entrance with a fine natured fizz on the tongue that releases a tart cherry extract with raspberry astringency. Dry ending. Way too much cherry.

Mouthfeel: Abrasive carbonation which is low on strength but high on action. Light body is boosted by the conditioning and fizzy soda like middle. The bubbly texture in the finish leaves a sharp cherry signature which often puckers the lips.

Drinkability: Passable with some effort, but just way too like liquid Cherry Sherbert for my palate. I bet the young girlies love this sweet cherry bomb.

Overall: More Cherryish than Cherish. A Miss.

10-08-2005 02:12:58 | More by TheLongBeachBum
PittBeerGirl

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

A- bright red bubbly body with thin pink head.

S- very strong of cherries. Smells similar to a cough syrup.

T- Intense sour cherry. Very similar to sour cherry pucker. Tastes pretty good but it turned my stomach a little.

M- high carbonation and pretty heavy body.

D- I wouldn't be able to drink too much of this. The flavor is too intense and sour. It is definately worth a try. Do a sample of this one. More than 4 oz may be hard to stomach.

05-21-2007 00:04:45 | More by PittBeerGirl

Maryland

12-13-2011 19:55:30 | More by DeutschesBier
sinstaineddemon

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

A - this lambic pours a dark brownish red scab kind of color, sounds gross, but its pretty good looking, too hazy to note any carbonation or sediment

S - cherries, of course, very cherry, like the maraschino variety, with a candy quality, smells like Red Vines

T - big cherry up front, then ... nothing, very bland aftertaste, a rich flavorful but fake cherry taste, then nothing

M&D - would make a nice apertif, but practically useless otherwise, good for its style though

08-06-2006 02:14:28 | More by sinstaineddemon
hero27

3.08/5  rDev -14.7%

8.4 oz bottle. 5% abv.

Dirty, ruby-brown color. Fizzy head and oily consistency. Aroma is definitely cherry, with a staple tart lambic kick. The tastes aren't as well-defined or complex as their Raspberry Lambic, but they're not too bad. Mouthfeel is very slick and the carbonation is pretty dead. If you're particularly fond of cherries, I'd probably give this a try. Overall, it's not a bad fruit lambic, but is a bit one-dimensional.

02-28-2006 02:49:23 | More by hero27
KroMagnon

Tennessee

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

The beer color is light amber with a very slight red hue. The aroma is strongly cherry and fruity, andreminds me of the smell of a packet of cherry cool-aid...sort of candy-like, really. The flavor features sweetness with a very slight tartness, along with a sort of astringency on the mouthfeel (puckery). The sweetness is NOT a full-flavored malty sweetness but it kind of works with the slight tartness. Overall this isn’t nearly as complex as the few other lambics I’ve had. Cherish seems to be only a slight step above an alco-pop or malternative but is probably a good brew for you to introduce to your friends who don't like "unusual" beers.

01-24-2004 18:08:09 | More by KroMagnon
chickenandrice

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

We are trying another lambic! Really enjoy the contrast of the sweet and sour notes.

A: Good rich reddish brown color. No head with little spots of lacing.

S: The sourness comes out even in smelling, the Kreik of course gives a good sweet cherry smell with a hint of malt.

T: More sour then some, lite notes of cherry - unexpectedly, and a sweet finish.

M: Very dry, sits well in the mouth and has a bit during the finish.

Overall we are still in love with lambics, this one is not however a top competitor in our view. The contrast of this to others, it seems that something is missing. Maybe the bacteria cultures here are not at the same level as most.

07-25-2010 03:46:02 | More by chickenandrice
ccrida

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

The kriek is one of those lambics you'll probably not mind or really dislike, and if you have a real sweet tooth, possibly love. I had mine on draft served in the Cherish chalice. The appearance is a pretty bright purplish/hot pink, decent carbonation but not much of a head or lace. The smell is really strong sweet cherry kool-aide, cough syrupy, and not super enticing. I thought the taste was much better however. Sure it was super sweet, but there was a real pleasant tartness to the cherry flavor there, like sour or black cherry, in no small part from the lambic I'm sure, but the fruit itself was nice and not at all artificial tasting. The mouthfeel was actually not as syrupy as it looked like it might be, it had a nice tang to it and was not hard to get down. That said, I'm not sure how drinkable this would be unless you really had a thing for cherry lambics. I think it will be good choice for my non beer-drinking wife (*sigh*) next time I take her to the Sharp Edge.

12-12-2006 07:57:03 | More by ccrida
ThreeWiseMen

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

Feelin' fruity? I am! Weee!!!
This is my first true lambic. I apologize if this review isn't up to snuff.

Poured into a flute.

Appearance: Ok, right off the bat this thing is trying gush. I tried avoiding it by slowly releasing pressure with little bends of the cap, but after several minutes bit the bullet and pried the damn thing off. Surprisingly, no overflow. Goddamnit! Spoke too soon! Even a gentle pour of only an ounce or two sent fizzy head gushing out the top of the glass! I tried sucking it off to prevent spilling and then just ended up coughing it out all over the table. Fuck! Ass! Head has dropped a bit; I'm gonna try this again. Pouring as carefully as possible, I'm able to get about half of this flute filled with liquid (the other half is all head). Sounds like there are Pop Rocks in my beer. Body is a bright, hazy, red with orange highlights. The interior boasts ferocious carbonation. Head is pinkish white, tall, loose, and soft - like champagne. Head sticks to the glass a bit, but I'm not sure if that's really noteworthy.

Smell: Hard to get a whole lot through the massive head, but I do get a good amount of sour yeast (again champagne-like) and sweet cherries. Is there really much else to be had?

Taste: Loads of sweet and sour cherries up front, followed by an abrupt transition to bland malted barley. I really like the beginning; the finish is definitely lacking. Some yeast strain in the middle, and maybe some spice in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light and sugary, similar to a soda but with some light creaminess. Carbonation doesn't attack the palate like I had feared. Pretty lousy mouth-coating and a bit of a fuzzy feel from the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the most annoying drink ever. Each pour nets about two ounces of liquid and 3oz of long-lasting foam. I could've finished this ten minutes ago and been on my merry way to another beer, but nooo. Anyhoo, this just didn't do it for me. I may like lambics in the future, but for right now they just aren't my thang.

04-17-2009 01:12:24 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Cherish Kriek Lambic from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.