Cherish Kriek Lambic - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Cherish Kriek LambicCherish Kriek Lambic

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-22-2002

1.11/5  rDev -69.3%

Pours a cherry-juice pinkish red with almost no head. Smells strongly of artificial cherry, very reminiscent of Jell-O. The taste is overwhelmingly sweet, simple, and cloying. The lack of yeast flavor, dryness, and the thick sugary mouthfeel make this much more like a syrup than a lambic.

A mild tartness is noticeable in the aftertaste, but that does not do much to help balance this beer. There is no parallel between Brouwerij Van Steenberge "Kriek Lambic" and a traditional kriek, and fans of Belgian lambics would do well to look elsewhere.

2.12/5  rDev -41.3%

8 oz bottle into a tumbler. Has a pinkish-red color, very clear, with a foamy pink head that sticks around for a few minutes and leaves plenty of lacing behind. No sediment in the bottle.

Smells extremely sweet and syrupy. Plenty of cough syrup cherry, but not much real fruit character. Has a little bit of a mulling spice quality about it, too.

Like the nose, this tastes extremely sweet, like cherry soda. There's a very mild sourness, but it's buried beneath the intense artificial sweetness. Has a bit of spiciness to it as well, and a light malt presence toward the finish. Very easy to drink assuming you can tolerate the sweetness; it really does drink like soda.

Overall, nothing particularly authentic or noteworthy about this, and the sweetness becomes very cloying after a while.

2.57/5  rDev -28.8%

I never heard of this lambic before so I ordered it on a whim that I might have found something good. It was kind of a let down though.

The color is a very bright cherry red with a white head. It smelled like red Jell-O. That basically turned me off from it right there. I was about to just pass it on to someone else at the table without even tasting it.

I took a sip and it was pretty sweet with a slightly tart finish to it that I liked a little. The Jell-O smell carried over into the taste as well. It really drank quite well for such a sweet lambic though. After I finished it, I didn't feel like I just guzzled a glass of grenadine.

It was okay to try for a sweet lambic but I wouldn't have it again.

2.61/5  rDev -27.7%

On tap at the Gulu Gulu Bar in downtown Salem MA. USA.
Served on draft with proper glassware.

I love krieks, sours, and Belgian lambic funk; and this is just was not fulfilling in any of those categories. I wanted a desert beer, but this is sooo sweet.

Smells very sweet and cherry-like.

Taste lack that tartness/sour goodness/delicious funk that I was looking for. Really nothing to balance out the sweetness. It tasted like if you fermented cherry robitussin, this is probably the beverage you would end up with. Thick, syrupy, and unnatural tasting. Overly cherry to the point that I question if real cherries were even used in the brewing of this beer. Like cherry flavored candy, or cherry coca-cola. Not impressed.

I drank the whole thing, but not what I expected in a Belgian Kriek Lambic style. To each their own, I won't be ordering this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -23.5%

8.4oz bottle. Pours into my glass a clear deep blood red with a half inch of pink head on top that falls after a few minutes. Aromas start out with big sweet cherry juice, almost akin to opening a can of cherry pie filling and taking a big whiff. Underneath this there is a touch of wood, light grain and a hint of tartness. No real traditional lambic aromas present.

First sip brings a sweet cherry juice flavor upfront with notes of wheat grain malt as well. Again cherry pie filling comes to mind. It flows down with a mild tartness that hits on the back of the palate. Just a slight woody note as well. Ends with lingering cherry sweetness. Again, no resemblance to a lambic, this comes off as just a sweet cherry beer.

Mouthfeel is on the light side with a fast moving, punchy carbonation. Goes down easily enough, however the sweetness does get to be a bit cloying as the glass nears empty. Overall, I was a disappointed in this beer as it was not what I was expecting. Not something I'd buy again.

2.81/5  rDev -22.2%

8.4oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours solid red, clear. Tiny head and no lacing.

Smells like Luden's cherry cough drops, which I used to eat as delicious sweet cherry candy when I was little. Nothing else.

Taste is the same cherry, albeit more full and robust. Cherry flavor is sweet and ranges from overripe to fresh and sweet. Tartness and sourness are minimal.

Somewhat thick and sweet on the mouth, with lingering cherry flavors.

I've had a lot of lambics but not a lot of krieks, but I can tell you doubtlessly that this is a very sweet beer that lacks many lambic characteristics. It tastes like a dessert and not like a sour beer.

2.82/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance- Pours a grapefruit ruby red with little head. Pale and a bit cloudy.

Smell- Somewhat fake smelling/overdone cherry. It's almost cough syrupy, but in a more appealing way. Smells like this is going to be both sweet and tart.

Taste- A bit tart up front. Bitter grapefruit mingles with the aggressive cherry flavors. Not very impressive to me.

Mouthfeel- Tartness... sweet, and then a bit of a bitterness which hangs around for a bit to dry off your tongue.

Drinkability- I thought this was simply OK. I will choose something else over this if I feel like having a Kriek next time. Worth a try though.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Presentation: Small looking 8,4 fl.oz. brown glass bottle with a white crown cap. Brewed & bottled by Br. Van Steenberge and Imported by Globalbeer. The main black label has a provocative looking pair of cherries aside a goblet of the brew which has a white outline of a young pair of lovers kissing…..hmmm, I wonder who this brew is aimed at!? LOL. Labeled as “Cherish” and described as an “Authentic Belgian Kriek Lambic” on the top and a “Malt beverage brewed with cherries” on the bottom…..hmmm, something doesn’t match there right!? Only hint of a freshness date is a code “31 JB” on the back label, front label states this is 5% ABV.

Appearance: Ruddy brown body that had a raspberry flash but really looked like a dark orange when back lit. Lightly hazed with a big bubbly off-white head that soon fizzes away to leave a thin broken halo head. Minimal lacing.

Nose: Tart cherry nose, striking in its sharpness, yet it still retains a sweet back end. A little forced.

Taste: Rising sharp acidic cherry skin entrance with a fine natured fizz on the tongue that releases a tart cherry extract with raspberry astringency. Dry ending. Way too much cherry.

Mouthfeel: Abrasive carbonation which is low on strength but high on action. Light body is boosted by the conditioning and fizzy soda like middle. The bubbly texture in the finish leaves a sharp cherry signature which often puckers the lips.

Drinkability: Passable with some effort, but just way too like liquid Cherry Sherbert for my palate. I bet the young girlies love this sweet cherry bomb.

Overall: More Cherryish than Cherish. A Miss.

2.96/5  rDev -18%

A- bright red bubbly body with thin pink head.

S- very strong of cherries. Smells similar to a cough syrup.

T- Intense sour cherry. Very similar to sour cherry pucker. Tastes pretty good but it turned my stomach a little.

M- high carbonation and pretty heavy body.

D- I wouldn't be able to drink too much of this. The flavor is too intense and sour. It is definately worth a try. Do a sample of this one. More than 4 oz may be hard to stomach.

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

A - this lambic pours a dark brownish red scab kind of color, sounds gross, but its pretty good looking, too hazy to note any carbonation or sediment

S - cherries, of course, very cherry, like the maraschino variety, with a candy quality, smells like Red Vines

T - big cherry up front, then ... nothing, very bland aftertaste, a rich flavorful but fake cherry taste, then nothing

M&D - would make a nice apertif, but practically useless otherwise, good for its style though

3.09/5  rDev -14.4%

8.4 oz bottle. 5% abv.

Dirty, ruby-brown color. Fizzy head and oily consistency. Aroma is definitely cherry, with a staple tart lambic kick. The tastes aren't as well-defined or complex as their Raspberry Lambic, but they're not too bad. Mouthfeel is very slick and the carbonation is pretty dead. If you're particularly fond of cherries, I'd probably give this a try. Overall, it's not a bad fruit lambic, but is a bit one-dimensional.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

The beer color is light amber with a very slight red hue. The aroma is strongly cherry and fruity, andreminds me of the smell of a packet of cherry cool-aid...sort of candy-like, really. The flavor features sweetness with a very slight tartness, along with a sort of astringency on the mouthfeel (puckery). The sweetness is NOT a full-flavored malty sweetness but it kind of works with the slight tartness. Overall this isn’t nearly as complex as the few other lambics I’ve had. Cherish seems to be only a slight step above an alco-pop or malternative but is probably a good brew for you to introduce to your friends who don't like "unusual" beers.

3.19/5  rDev -11.6%

The kriek is one of those lambics you'll probably not mind or really dislike, and if you have a real sweet tooth, possibly love. I had mine on draft served in the Cherish chalice. The appearance is a pretty bright purplish/hot pink, decent carbonation but not much of a head or lace. The smell is really strong sweet cherry kool-aide, cough syrupy, and not super enticing. I thought the taste was much better however. Sure it was super sweet, but there was a real pleasant tartness to the cherry flavor there, like sour or black cherry, in no small part from the lambic I'm sure, but the fruit itself was nice and not at all artificial tasting. The mouthfeel was actually not as syrupy as it looked like it might be, it had a nice tang to it and was not hard to get down. That said, I'm not sure how drinkable this would be unless you really had a thing for cherry lambics. I think it will be good choice for my non beer-drinking wife (*sigh*) next time I take her to the Sharp Edge.

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%

Feelin' fruity? I am! Weee!!!
This is my first true lambic. I apologize if this review isn't up to snuff.

Poured into a flute.

Appearance: Ok, right off the bat this thing is trying gush. I tried avoiding it by slowly releasing pressure with little bends of the cap, but after several minutes bit the bullet and pried the damn thing off. Surprisingly, no overflow. Goddamnit! Spoke too soon! Even a gentle pour of only an ounce or two sent fizzy head gushing out the top of the glass! I tried sucking it off to prevent spilling and then just ended up coughing it out all over the table. Fuck! Ass! Head has dropped a bit; I'm gonna try this again. Pouring as carefully as possible, I'm able to get about half of this flute filled with liquid (the other half is all head). Sounds like there are Pop Rocks in my beer. Body is a bright, hazy, red with orange highlights. The interior boasts ferocious carbonation. Head is pinkish white, tall, loose, and soft - like champagne. Head sticks to the glass a bit, but I'm not sure if that's really noteworthy.

Smell: Hard to get a whole lot through the massive head, but I do get a good amount of sour yeast (again champagne-like) and sweet cherries. Is there really much else to be had?

Taste: Loads of sweet and sour cherries up front, followed by an abrupt transition to bland malted barley. I really like the beginning; the finish is definitely lacking. Some yeast strain in the middle, and maybe some spice in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light and sugary, similar to a soda but with some light creaminess. Carbonation doesn't attack the palate like I had feared. Pretty lousy mouth-coating and a bit of a fuzzy feel from the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the most annoying drink ever. Each pour nets about two ounces of liquid and 3oz of long-lasting foam. I could've finished this ten minutes ago and been on my merry way to another beer, but nooo. Anyhoo, this just didn't do it for me. I may like lambics in the future, but for right now they just aren't my thang.

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

We are trying another lambic! Really enjoy the contrast of the sweet and sour notes.

A: Good rich reddish brown color. No head with little spots of lacing.

S: The sourness comes out even in smelling, the Kreik of course gives a good sweet cherry smell with a hint of malt.

T: More sour then some, lite notes of cherry - unexpectedly, and a sweet finish.

M: Very dry, sits well in the mouth and has a bit during the finish.

Overall we are still in love with lambics, this one is not however a top competitor in our view. The contrast of this to others, it seems that something is missing. Maybe the bacteria cultures here are not at the same level as most.

3.29/5  rDev -8.9%

Had this one on tap. Served in a snifter. Reviewed from notes taken earlier today.

A - 1 finger of fluffy pink head. Crystal clear candy apple red beer. Lots of heavy lacing sticks around, so beautiful that the bf took a picture, ha.

S - pretty one dimensional. Syrupy sweet cherries.

T - Totally follows the nose. Sweet syrupy cherry taste. No more, no less. Really wish this one had tartness or funk. Just so sweet.

M - Light as air. Medium carbonation - just the right amount.

D/O - I find myself wishing this tasted more like actual cherries and less like cherry syrup, but it is what it is. Like another reviewer pointed out, great if you don't know your lambics/fruit beers. But if you do, you'll wish there was a bit more to this beer. However, I had no trouble downing the glass. It was drinkable, but I probably would pick something new before having this again.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a small 1/4 inch head. Aroma was very fruity and winey. A cherry smell was in the backround, but not too strong. Taste was incredibly sour and winey, with notes of cherry, cough syrup and cheap wine. This bottle may have gone bad. Is this beer supposed to be this sour? This lowered the drinkability for me. As the beer warmed, the flavor of cherries did come out more, but not much. Maybe this style of beer is just not for me. It's one and done.

3.32/5  rDev -8%

This was a good Lambic beer. I am not to fond of cherry flavored lambics, I prefer Framboise, but this was good. I poured this into a nice chalice, and it was a nice ruby red color. Its smell was of tart deliciousness and cherry slumber. I drank it, and it was tart, and sweet. I wish it had a little more carbonation to it though. I then tried this out of a Champagne Flute Glass, AWESOME!!!!

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

This is a fairly good, but not great, kriek lambic, being fairly one-dimensionally fruity and not very interesting at all.

Red, it has a big pink head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and wisps, some nice lace.

Aroma is lots of cherry, esp. caramelized dried cherries, with some dark brown bread and faint hint of earthy yeastiness lurking underneath.

Taste is tart-sweet citric cherry, dryish grassy finish, and almost no rustic lambic taste. It’s good and pleasant, but uninteresting and one-dimensional.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(Served in a flute)
A- The deep red body has a slight denseness to it with a big bubble carbonation supporting a foam of bright pink that fades to a cobweb lace soon after the first sip.
S- The syrupy bold cherry aroma has real fruit qualities and a slight sweetness with dark cherry finish.
T- The full cherry syrup is not really sweet but is strong. There is a slight cola and dark nougat flavor in the finish. The cherry flavor hangs on the tongue after each sip.
M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a fizzy finish with no alcohol heat.
D- This is a nice full cherry soda for a novelty but I couldn't handle more than one. I would classify this as a cherry alco-pop but not a lambic.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

Served from a bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a ruby red amber with thin film of head.

S: Cherry cough drops. Very tart.

T: Lots of tart cherry. Quite sweet.

M: Lingers nicely but the sweetness is a bit cloying.

D: Too sweet to be consumed in large quantities.

Not something I'd go out of my way to have again.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

8.4 oz bottle

Pours a hazy reddish color with a very small head that vanishes. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma of tart cherries whit a slight cocoa smell.

Tastes just like it smells. Tart cherries with a slight cocoa flavor at the finish.

Thin body, very little carbonation.

A decent, drinkable kriek.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

A: The beer pours a deep, dark ruby color with a short lived pink head.

S: Intensely sweet cherry and cherry candy aroma. Sugar notes with a hint of cough syrup and cough drops. Slightly "dusty", which is really the only sign of funk or real lambic.

T: Cherry soda type flavor. Very, very sugary with lots of cherry flavor and a definite artificial character to it. Some cough drops and cough medicine notes to it on the palate as well.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Sort of along the lines of the guilty pleasure type beers, but just too sweet.

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%

8.4 oz brown bottle -- funny label -- a red chalice with a thick white head, a pair of cartoon kiddies kissing on its side, a pair of glazed cherries hanging off the "s" in "Cherish". "Authentic Belgian Kriek Lambic” and “Malt beverage brewed with cherries” -- hmm...

I don't know if the bottle was a bit shook up on the way home from the store or what, but this little bottle completely filled a tall weizen glass with a huge sudsy light pink head, which eventually subsided into a persistant layer of fine bubbles. Spotty lacing all the way down the glass. The liquid was a cloudy dark red with peach highlights.

I don't like the way this lambic smells -- musty, syrupy fruit. The tartness comes through, which saves from being terrible.

Surprisingly, I do like the flavor of the beer -- it's bright, with a good balance of sweetened cherry and tart cherry... The finish manages to be sweet and dry. Interesting...

Thin body, slick mouthfeel; a good fizz and a dry finish keep it from being syrupy. Nice mouthfeel.

Why the average drinkability, then? Maybe it's too sweet and fizzy for me. I could have a second (or third), but I'd rather something else.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

I am sampling a room temp bottle poured into a snifter. There is a fizzy pink head that foams up 2 cm easily and fades rather quickly to a thin wispy surface layer. The brew exhibits a slightly cloudy cherry red hue.
Aroma is candy sweet cherry. Think cherry pie or cherry Ludens cough drops. Aroma is not overpowering but is unmistakenly cherry sweet.
First sip reveals an average to lite body with very fine fizzy carbonation that bubbles and then disappears quickly. The beer goes completely thin and watery on the swallow. Flavor is no surprise, I get some sweet cherry up front, a bit of musty funk and a bit of a sour tart finish that makes my mouth pucker for a second. No lingering flavor whatsoever. I almost forget that I took a sip after each swallow as there is no evidence in my mouth from the beer.
A decent beer, I wouldnt hunt it down, but fun enough and would be good with some fruity desert I think.

Cherish Kriek Lambic from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.